Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Arian Foster on new "crown" rule for RBs

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Excerpts from radio interview: http://c.espnradio.com/s:5L8r1/audi...zones=Preroll,Midroll,Postroll|station_id=632

On the new rule penalizing ball carriers for using the crown of their helmets to initiate contact with defenders in the open field:

“They implement new rules every single year. I like the game the way it was. I understand they’re trying to make a statement, but this is one of those things where they’re trying to put their stamp on this league. Like I said, I liked the way it was, but you can’t really argue with the people that want to change the rules.”

On the challenge of having to change running styles so suddenly:

“That play doesn’t come into play a lot with my running style, but you have guys like Adrian Peterson, guys that really are hard runners and try to create that contact. This is gonna affect them more than it will myself. But I find myself sometimes lowering my head and lowering my shoulders. It’s just, you’re not gonna think about the rule changes. We’ve been running like this since we were kids. … They want us to change that mentality in one offseason, it’s gonna be tough. I was never a fan of all the defensive rule changes also — where you can’t lead with your helmet or the facemask — because guys have been tackling like this for years. I was never a fan of that, and I’m definitely not a fan of this.”

On how long he thinks it’ll take for running backs to adapt to this rule:

“I would have to think a couple years. Because like I said, running styles, especially as a running back, it’s more instinctive than it is strategic. And we’ve been doing it for so long that you have to train your body to run a certain way. So after a while it just becomes second-nature. So a lot of these guys are gonna have to snap out of their second-nature reactions and think before they run into guys. … I’m not a fan of this.”

On his belief that stubbornly refusing to change your running style would be selfish:

“I think if you say, ‘I’m gonna do what I gotta do,’ I think you’re being selfish and I think you’re gonna hurt your team like that, because you could have a 20-yard run and you get a 15-yard penalty because you led with the crown of your head and that brings your team back. … And I think that’s how my coaching staff and my organization’s gonna approach it. We’re professionals and these are the rules and the guidelines we have to play under. We all signed up for this thing together and they implement new rules and rule changes all the time. This is the way we have to do it. It’s just part of the game. Rule changes are part of the game. So I’m not one to take a stance on anything if it’s gonna hurt my team. So if it’s all for the betterment of my team I’m gonna do it, but if you ask me my personal opinion about it, I think it’s weak.”

On if he’d be willing to sign a waiver now saying he wouldn’t sue the league in regard to his health in retirement:

“Personally, absolutely, because I knew what I was getting into when I first had the dream of playing in the NFL. I knew what I was getting into. The game’s a violent sport. Anything can happen. People get paralyzed; people get hurt — broken legs, broken everything. It’s just part of the game, and I knew what I was getting into. So to me, it’s kind of like blaming the NFL for your injuries, and I don’t blame the NFL because it was my decision to partake in this game. … So I would never sue. I don’t have ill feelings toward those that have sued or whatever. That’s their business. It’s just the way I see it. I just wouldn’t.”

Can't wait until some RB (saaay Frank Gore or Ray Rice) lowers his shoulder to get a crucial first down or score the go-ahead TD in a tough, hardfought playoff game only to have Roger's zebras toss the hanky and march them back 15 yards and change the course of that game.

Just watch the torches and pitchforks come out.

And what if the lead FB lowers his head to make a key block? Will that be called and perhaps bring back a key scoring play??

This new rule is nuts. One more step to making this a complete and total passing league.

What about goal line offense? That's hard nosed running....guess it's gone now?

Also, what about QB sneaks? They mostly lower their head and drive forward.

What about goal line offense? That's hard nosed running....guess it's gone now?

Also, what about QB sneaks? They mostly lower their head and drive forward.

The rule doesn't apply inside the tackles, so most goal line running/QB sneaks would be unaffected.

On if he’d be willing to sign a waiver now saying he wouldn’t sue the league in regard to his health in retirement:

“Personally, absolutely, because I knew what I was getting into when I first had the dream of playing in the NFL. I knew what I was getting into. The game’s a violent sport. Anything can happen. People get paralyzed; people get hurt — broken legs, broken everything. It’s just part of the game, and I knew what I was getting into. So to me, it’s kind of like blaming the NFL for your injuries, and I don’t blame the NFL because it was my decision to partake in this game. … So I would never sue. I don’t have ill feelings toward those that have sued or whatever. That’s their business. It’s just the way I see it. I just wouldn’t.”

And this is why i like this guy, he is exactly right. None of them were forced into this career, it is a choice.

I have mixed feelings on this issue... :thinking:

If Earl Campbell had this rule implemented whenever he was in his prime, I kinda wonder how long Earl's career would've lasted. I once saw, in a candid interview (during a time when Earl was mostly limited to a wheelchair) when asked (paraphrased):

Q: What would you have done differently in your career?

A: Stepped out of bounds more often.

Back