Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2013   #1
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's the next move for the Texans?

Do we go after anyone else or is that it until the draft? (besides Lechler)
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Perhaps an ILB if they're going cheap as I'm not at all confident that Sharpton will ever contribute meaningful time.

Otherwise, prepare for the draft.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

We might wait until after the draft and then pick up some guys to fill whatever perceived holes we've got. I wouldn't be surprised if we pick Dobbins and Ruud back up but we might wait until after the draft to do it.

IF we're going to go after someone, I don't expect it to be a big, high-priced guy. I'd be interested to see us picking up Dansby but he's probably too high-priced even at this stage of his career. I expect us to pick up a flotsam and jetsam WR as well as draft one or two.

And I honestly would not be surprised to see us sign Winston back. He might not be the greatest RT of all time but he could stabilize that position for a bit; I expect us to re-sign Harris and Butler, instead.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #4
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see any other FA's that contribute on our team right now so...
Who can we draft at ILB in the draft? Other than Manti Te'o?

With the Rams losing Almendola, I'm sure they'll pick up Tavon Austin from WV. I wanted to pick him up, but seems like we'll be going with an ILB if that happens.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post

With the Rams losing Almendola, I'm sure they'll pick up Tavon Austin from WV. I wanted to pick him up, but seems like we'll be going with an ILB if that happens.
I'm expecting us to go with Minter (if we go early), or Bostic or Reddick if we wait until the 2-3, or Klein, Cain, or Greer if we go later than that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My guy A J Klein can be selected in 4-5th and should be a perfect fit. I would start him in this defense. I do expect a vet to be signed cheaply and let's not forget possible additions after June 1st cuts.
Old 03-21-2013   #7
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not expecting anymore signings til after June 1st designation.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2013   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Competition for the LS position
Old 03-21-2013   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

There are two veteran NT's out there who are at the same stage of their career as Reed that would probably come cheap. It would be Stupid not to at least take a look at them.
Old 03-21-2013   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair talked about some "reasonably priced" vets...so we will be filling holes before the draft. No way we walk into the draft with big holes on the roster.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
McNair talked about some "reasonably priced" vets...so we will be filling holes before the draft. No way we walk into the draft with big holes on the roster.
I think the following three things MUST happen before the draft:

1. free agent wide receiver with some speed

2. capable free agent OT (likely Ryan Harris)

3. at least one free agent LB to play OLB or ILB with coverage ability.
Old 03-21-2013   #12
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My thinking is still WR in the 1st. Don't know how it's all going to shake out, but I think if Allen or Hopkins is there at #27, that's who they'll get. They may try to trade back a little if only Hopkins is there and they have someone who wants to move up, possibly for a QB. As for ILB, my guess is 2nd or 3rd round.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping we would bring Early Doucet for a visit but seems like his best year was two years ago and he isn't really much of an upgrade over Walter.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say it's very likely we bring in a vet WR.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #15
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see us go after Daryl Smith if he is healthy. Don't think he has had much action since FA began so hopefully he won't be asking much. Also I would be interested in Sedrick Ellis as a backup NT. Technically though Lechler is really the next move.

I would also be interested in knowing whats the deal with Shaun Phillips? I've seen him on all the FA lists but haven't heard if he is going back to San Diego or if he is injured or what. Seems like he could be a nice OLB for us which might allow Brooks to slide to ILB if thats what the coaching staff wants.
Old 03-21-2013   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

A couple of cheaper contracts to continue to fill out some depth (Maybe a couple of signings that are slightly over the vet minimum).
Old 03-21-2013   #17
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Where? There isn't a FA WR with speed, unless you want one that cannot catch the ball. If so go get Heyward-Bey...

as for LB, I see several on the FA Tracker that might come here. One that comes to mind that played with Ed Reed is Bart Scott to play next to Cushing...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
I am not expecting anymore signings til after June 1st designation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
A couple of cheaper contracts to continue to fill out some depth (Maybe a couple of signings that are slightly over the vet minimum).
We'll need to know Ed Reed's numbers as far as cap space to determine whether we can afford a mid-level FA.

Obviously, if they find a borderline guy (with potential to improve), they can still restructure a contract or two to make room for him.

But otherwise; yeah, I think it's better to stay pat until after the Jun 1 cut or only sign guys at min vet salary so that we can get a couple of comp picks next year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what the final numbers are for Ed Reed....

But if I were to be able to make one more big FA move, I'd bring in Eric Winston. I'd put him on a 2-year deal at about $2.5 million-per and structure it so that we have room for one more middle-of-the-road signing and the rest for rookie salaries and PS guys.

Why Winston?

Because I'd put him at RT and slide Newton inside to RG. I think he fits better at G than T right now. He needs to get things shaped up before manning the edge, IMO, and I like Winston's run blocking more than Newton's. Winston can road-grade on a more consistent basis.

On the left side, I'd have DB at LT, and then Ben Jones at LG, with a platoon of guys working in and out of the G and T positions to spell the starters. Mondek might be a sleeper guy for us in 2013, too.

I think we need a return to 2011 in terms of our right side of the OL.

Winston might be holding out for bigger money than what we could give him. I'm sure his vet minimum is not much less than what we could stand to offer him, which I think he would reject since we dumped him.

BUT...if I were to be able to manageably add another key player to improve this team and know that it's a relatively safe bet...it'd be Winston, if it could happen.

However, more realistically I can see us adding middle of the road talent to keep the cap space healthy enough for us on rookie signings, PS guys, and emergency money at preseason and reg season if we needed it. In other words, vet minimum deals.
Old 03-21-2013   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

So you are ok with what we currently have at NT?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read