Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-27-2013   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd

Excuse me if this is mixed in here somewhere

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

Quote:
According to HoustonTexans.com, it's "not outside the realm of possibility" the team uses its first- or second-round pick on a quarterback.
"In this business, you better be looking for young quarterbacks you think have a chance to be a 10-12 year guy," coach Gary Kubiak said. Despite his comments, Kubiak insists he has faith in Matt Schaub and T.J. Yates. With Schaub in decline and Yates still a wild card, we don't doubt the Texans would pull the trigger on an early-round QB if they found themselves smitten. It's also possible the Texans are simply trying to create a market for the 27th pick.
Old 02-27-2013   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Draft QB in 1st or 2nd

Here's the link to the source article.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-e73954e0451b
Quote:
The Texans have drafted two quarterbacks under Kubiak and general manager/executive vice president of football operations Rick Smith: Yates, a fifth-rounder in 2011, and Alex Brink, a seventh-rounder in 2008. So history says that if they draft a quarterback this year, it’ll be in the later rounds.

But if someone the Texans think is potential franchise quarterback – say, Matt Barkley of USC or E.J. Manuel of Florida State – is on the board when they pick in the first round or two, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that they would draft him. Such a player could compete with the Texans’ young backups and learn under Schaub and Kubiak for a few seasons before he’d be expected to start.
Old 02-27-2013   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I really, really hope we stay away from E.J. Manuel. I've already wasted enough time watching him struggle on my other football team.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Barkley was there , I might do it . He is bigger than they thought at 6'3 with 10 inch hands . A four year starter at a name school and good character to boot . This is how the Packers got Aaron Rodgers .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not seeing it.

I pretty much ignore everything I hear from teams from just past the Combine to the draft.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Not seeing it.

I pretty much ignore everything I hear from teams from just past the Combine to the draft.
To be fair, this isn't even from the team, per se. It's pure conjecture from the team's media arm.
Old 02-27-2013   #7
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

If Barkley somehow fell to the 3rd I wonder if the Texans would take him! I'd be shocked though if he made it to them in the 2nd round (#57).
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2013   #8
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 13181 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you have to go Barkley in the 2nd if he's there. That would be great value considering before the year it was general consensus that he would be going number one overall.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
I think you have to go Barkley in the 2nd if he's there. That would be great value considering before the year it was general consensus that he would be going number one overall.
Kinda like Matt Lienart.
Old 02-27-2013   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Kinda like Matt Lienart.
No - think Dave Ragone!
Old 02-28-2013   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
To be fair, this isn't even from the team, per se. It's pure conjecture from the team's media arm.
Yeah, Kubiak made a couple comments when asked a question at the Combine and everyone's running with it. He even said they do the same evaluation of QBs every year. I reckon Schaub's rough stretch has about everything to do with it. Much ado about nada, imo

Quote:
(Evaluating the QB depth in draft) "You're always looking to do that. I have a young player in T.J. (Yates) who I think a lot of. He goes from playing a lot of football, starting a playoff game to basically not doing much of all this year, having maybe 10 snaps, that was tough. I have a young player from the Univ. of Houston in Case Keenum, I think a lot of who came a long way for me last year. I feel good about those guys pushing Matt. And then we did sign McGee here a couple of weeks ago. In this business, you better be looking for young quarterbacks you think have a chance to be a 10, 12-year guy. This year will be no different.''
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...a-241c531ffbc1
Old 02-28-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In all likelihood the Texans are feigning interest in a quarterback in a possible effort to stimulate trade talk where they sit at the bottom of round one, knowing the scenario exists where a quarterback needy team might trade up into the bottom of round one to land a better value at the quarterback position.
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...back-interest/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Before it's all said and done Case Keenum will emerge as the starting QB who will do magnificent things with our team!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...back-interest/

Quote:
In all likelihood the Texans are feigning interest in a quarterback in a possible effort to stimulate trade talk where they sit at the bottom of round one, knowing the scenario exists where a quarterback needy team might trade up into the bottom of round one to land a better value at the quarterback position.
If I were a QB hungry team & I thought the Texans were looking at a QB, I would think their asking price would be higher than the team choosing just ahead of them. If the Texans want a QB, why would they trade their pick?

In that case, I would trade with the team ahead of the Texans to get my QB.

With that in mind, if the Texans are truly feigning interest, they aren't looking for a trade partner, they are looking for someone to draft a QB ahead of them so the player they really want falls to them....... or, if the next three or four teams aren't in the QB market, then a team may chose to trade, thinking the QB the Texans want would be there two or three choices later.

So yeah....... I don't know.
Old 03-01-2013   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like Barkley or hopefully Bray will be under consideration.

This is a good thing. Keenum also could be the answer. Hopefully he has improved in the Texans more conventional offense.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans can talk all the BS they want and lay down all the smoke screens as well, I'd be completely shocked if the Texans took a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. We just re-signed Schaub to a new contract and will owe him guaranteed money for at least the first 2 yrs.. I also don't think they want a new franchise QB sitting on the bench for 2 yrs. either, not to mention that if they did go after a starting QB prospect then I'd expect Schaub's performance on the field to suffer accordingly. Also this years QB crop ain't that good and I'd expect they might go after one in 2014 to sit for 1 yr. behind Schaub and hopefully 2014 is a better crop of QB's.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013   #17
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
The Texans can talk all the BS they want and lay down all the smoke screens as well, I'd be completely shocked if the Texans took a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. We just re-signed Schaub to a new contract and will owe him guaranteed money for at least the first 2 yrs.. I also don't think they want a new franchise QB sitting on the bench for 2 yrs. either, not to mention that if they did go after a starting QB prospect then I'd expect Schaub's performance on the field to suffer accordingly. Also this years QB crop ain't that good and I'd expect they might go after one in 2014 to sit for 1 yr. behind Schaub and hopefully 2014 is a better crop of QB's.
It should be better. You'll possibly have Teddy Bridgewater, AJ Mccarron, Aaron Murray, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, Tahj Boyd, etc.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #18
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 13181 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Kinda like Matt Lienart.
RIP
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Nooooooo, wait until 2014 to do that crap. QB class is waaaaaaaaaay deeper.

EDIT;

Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Blake Bortles
Kevin Hogan
Marcus Mariota

It's going to be a way better QB class than 2013.
Old 03-05-2013   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Nooooooo, wait until 2014 to do that crap. QB class is waaaaaaaaaay deeper.

EDIT;

Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Blake Bortles
Kevin Hogan
Marcus Mariota

It's going to be a way better QB class than 2013.
While I do agree with you the Texans should wait to draft a QB, unless Bray falls to the bottom of the 2nd/3rd rd.

Getting a QB of the future is hardly crap. Getting a QB that has accuracy/arm strength and a little bit of mobility, as well as being able to read a defense is kind of important.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read