Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013   #161
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I like Ed Reed but this move is simply a desperate move and a move to appease the fans base. They badly miscalculated on Quin.
Quin is replaceable. What is wrong with you people?!!
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #162
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122435 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Ed Reed is like 109 years old
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #163
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That said, I won't be unhappy if we sign him.
If we throw a bunch of money at him, I will be. Better options out there, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #164
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I like Ed Reed but this move is simply a desperate move and a move to appease the fans base. They badly miscalculated on Quin.
Desperate? How is it desperate to go after a veteran safety when Quin signed elsewhere?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #165
jukhan
Rookie

I like Ed reed and all, but we better not overpay him. But yeah i guess we just have to trust wade.
jukhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #166
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Ed Reed is still Ed Reed. The intimidation factor alone is worth it.
Old 03-14-2013   #167
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122435 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2013   #168
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
With whom? Ed Reed? Hate to break it to you, but Quin was better than Reed this year. You think Quin is replaceable with a rookie? Rookies make lots of dumb mistakes, and safety is the last line of defense - kind of where you don't want rookie mistakes. So you just coached up Quin for four years and then let him go just to start that cycle over again.

Ultimately, I agree with you that Quin is replaceable, but I don't see anything the Texans did in preparing to replace him, nor do I see Ed Reed as a replacement. So if he's replaceable, let's see them replace him.
Old 03-14-2013   #169
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
With whom? Ed Reed? Hate to break it to you, but Quin was better than Reed this year. You think Quin is replaceable with a rookie? Rookies make lots of mistakes. So you just coached up Quin for four years and then let him go just to start that cycle over again.

Ultimately, I agree with you that Quin is replaceable, but I don't see anything the Texans did in preparing to replace him, nor do I see Ed Reed as a replacement. So if he's replaceable, let's see them replace him.
Reed is a stop gap so they can draft his replacement and come cheaper than Quin. You do realize they can't keep everyone right? And Watt AND Cushing are gonna get PAID soon.
Old 03-14-2013   #170
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With whom? Ed Reed? Hate to break it to you, but Quin was better than Reed this year. You think Quin is replaceable with a rookie? Rookies make lots of dumb mistakes, and safety is the last line of defense - kind of where you don't want rookie mistakes. So you just coached up Quin for four years and then let him go just to start that cycle over again.

What are you talking about? Rick Smith drafted Keo in the 5th and signed Eddie Pleasant to the PSquad. Clearly he didn't need to pay Quin because Keo is the next man up! All hail Rick Smith!

Old 03-14-2013   #171
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reed is a stop gap so they can draft his replacement and come cheaper than Quin. You do realize they can't keep everyone right? And Watt AND Cushing are gonna get PAID soon.
That's fine, but then you're basically admitting that they haven't prepared for his replacement and in fact will not be replacing him this season at all. They'll just be going with a stopgap. So I take you back to your original statement - if Quin is replaceable, then why the hell aren't they replacing him? Hint: He's not so replaceable right now.

Also, your assertion would make a lot more sense if they had even offered Quin a contract before he went to Detroit. They never offered him anything at all, which tells me they aren't even trying to keep him.
Old 03-14-2013   #172
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Quote:
That's fine, but then you're basically admitting that they haven't prepared for his replacement and in fact will not be replacing him this season at all. They'll just be going with a stopgap. So I take you back to your original statement - if Quin is replaceable, then why the hell aren't they replacing him? Hint: He's not so replaceable right now.
Are the Texans not in Win Now mode?
Old 03-14-2013   #173
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Are the Texans not in Win Now mode?
If they were in win now mode, they'd put the best players on the field. That would be Glover Quin ahead of Ed Reed, sad to say. If they were in win now mode, one would expect that they might be willing to sacrifice a bit of the future salary cap in order to win now.

I don't think that's necessarily the case, nor do I advocate that sort of thing. They believe they're building a team that can consistently compete year in and year out, a la Pats or Steelers. I believe they're doing this part of it wrong, that's all.
Old 03-14-2013   #174
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Quote:
If they were in win now mode, they'd put the best players on the field. That would be Glover Quin ahead of Ed Reed, sad to say. If they were in win now mode, one would expect that they might be willing to sacrifice a bit of the future salary cap in order to win now.

I don't think that's necessarily the case, nor do I advocate that sort of thing. They believe they're building a team that can consistently compete year in and year out, a la Pats or Steelers. I believe they're doing this part of it wrong, that's all.
Glover Quin is not a playmaker.
Old 03-14-2013   #175
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Glover Quin is not a playmaker.
See, now you're just shifting arguments in some desperate attempt to score points. No one ever said Glover Quin was a playmaker. I don't even think he's worth the $5M he got from the Lions. But based on last year and his advancing age, for every play that Ed Reed makes these days, he screws up several more. It happens to the greatest of players. I still would like Ed Reed on the team, but at an appropriate salary and used sparingly in spot work and the playoffs.

Glover Quin is a better player than Ed Reed at the present stages in their careers. Quin will never be half as good as Ed Reed was in his prime.
Old 03-14-2013   #176
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and still better than anybody in the secondary that the Texans have...

what does that tell you about Quinn...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #177
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess an old Ed Reed beats a young Shiloh Keo. Anybody agree? OK, Agreed.

This is a "meh" situation for me. We're Ed Reed Damned If We Do, or we will be Shiloh Keo Damned If We Don't.

Pick your poison. I'll take the veteran with physical issues over the Finnegan Lite guy every day of the week.

One thing Ed can do, that Mario NEVER did: He inspires people. He's a model of determination and professionalism. The two guys are miles apart on that issue, IMO, and If you're the front 7 for Houston you feel a little more freedom to pin your ears back than you did in 2012...even if it's the placebo effect. Who cares.
Old 03-14-2013   #178
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I guess an old Ed Reed beats a young Shiloh Keo. Anybody agree? OK, Agreed.

This is a "meh" situation for me. We're Ed Reed Damned If We Do, or we will be Shiloh Keo Damned If We Don't.

Pick your poison. I'll take the veteran with physical issues over the Finnegan Lite guy every day of the week.

One thing Ed can do, that Mario NEVER did: He inspires people. He's a model of determination and professionalism. The two guys are miles apart on that issue, IMO, and If you're the front 7 for Houston you feel a little more freedom to pin your ears back than you did in 2012...even if it's the placebo effect. Who cares.
But Mario bought HPD some Camaro's. Has Ed ever done that?
Old 03-14-2013   #179
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn! Guess we really want him. It's obvious Quin was never in the plans from the start

Quote:
Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider
Hearing Ed Reed is looking for at least $6 million per year. Texans could get within that striking range. They are very serious about him
Old 03-14-2013   #180
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But Mario bought HPD some Camaro's. Has Ed ever done that?
Nope. He just finds ways to make big plays at the right times, in big games.

Something the whole defense could use more of. JJ Watt being the exception to that statement.

I think this is a boom or bust acquisition if we end up getting Ed Reed. And I would expect him to last no more than 2 years at the most. A stop-gap solution until we can maybe groom a new Safety. And then Manning will be needing attention since his 4-year deal is up in a couple of years.

We're going to have to really do some fantastic things in the draft and free agency for the next two years to prepare for the expiring contracts of Manning and Joseph. Money and age will result in us needing another CB and probably TWO Safeties. Good times, eh? Ugh.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read