Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013   #2041
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Not butt hurt at all- I liked Ed, but Ed Reed isn't Ed Reed anymore. Gambles too much, is wrong a lot, cannot wrap up and leaves CB's stranded a lot. Other than that, he is a fine addition to the Texans.

Ravens lose more FA's than anyone else in the league, year after year. Since the inception of the Compensatory Pick in 1994 (2 years before the Ravens existed), the Ravens have been awarded the most picks for FA leaving because we are successful and win on a consistent basis.

Better to let a player go a year too early, than a year too late....
While I agree with the yr to early philosophy,

Ed looked good in the playoffs this yr and I remember him against the Texans 2 yrs ago. His injued labrum caused the tackling problems and I can remember games that he would be in position to break up a pass and couldn't because he couldn't raise his arm above his head.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2042
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
One of my friends ran into Ed Reed at Mo's Steakhouse on Friday. Apparently Lechler was there too, but she didn't get a pic with him.

You've got very attractive friends. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2043
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of my friends ran into Ed Reed at Mo's Steakhouse on Friday. Apparently Lechler was there too, but she didn't get a pic with him.

annnd what club does she strip for?

I kid...I kid....

Seems like a very nice friend. Almost as tall as Ed Reed...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2044
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Man, Megan Fox thinks Ed Reed has a weird looking thumb...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2045
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
annnd what club does she strip for?

I kid...I kid....

Seems like a very nice friend. Almost as tall as Ed Reed...
Eh, she's a very Christian girl who went to Rice, sooooooooooooo yeah... no.

Now her modeling friends on the other hand, well I can't speak for them.
Old 03-25-2013   #2046
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I haven't been keeping up, which one is Reed?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2047
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Earlier in this thread, I reported his missed tackles stats last year. This has not been characteristic for Reed. It brings up the recollection of one of my posts in the thread last year "Ravens Injuries," prior to the Ravens - Texans game.

This type of injury does not "heal." If not major, in some cases, it may at least for some indeterminate period of time, be compensated for by concentrated muscle strengthening of the muscles of the shoulder, much like a rotator cuff. It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

This injury can have varying degrees of pain with full range of motion of the shoulder, and be accompanied by significant range of motion limitations, consistent with a safety "missing" tackles. The player will tend to avoid direct shoulder contact, will demonstrate less strength in wrapping, and certainly avoid one-handed tackles that could bend the involved shoulder/arm backwards.

I would look for these patterns to be lessened with offseason "rest" and concentrated rehab strengthening, as long as the injury has not already progressed too far.......and he does not sustain further injury to the shoulder.
So Reed has a torn labrum?????
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2013   #2048
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
It's also been said that Reed played the SB with 2 (!!) sprained MCL's.
Old 03-25-2013   #2049
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I believe Dwight Howard has been playing with a torn labrum for basically the whole season now. It really hasn't effected him that much.

I know different sport, but still. I think it's not a cause for concern. He has the whole offseason to heal.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2050
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
While I agree with the yr to early philosophy,

Ed looked good in the playoffs this yr and I remember him against the Texans 2 yrs ago. His injued labrum caused the tackling problems and I can remember games that he would be in position to break up a pass and couldn't because he couldn't raise his arm above his head.
The Labrum Tear didn't prevent that- it was his nerve impingement.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2051
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
So this year should be like the others? Your just gonna rebuild your defense and Jacoby is gonna step into the shoes of Bolden?

Lol. Now that is some funny chit right there.
Jacoby is not 'stepping into' Boldin's shoes- that's for Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson, et al. Jacoby is the PR, KR and Speedy WR on the outside.

We signed Chris Canty of the Giants, Marcus Spears for the DLine, Some our own FA's and Dumervil for the DLine.

We lost Ellerbe- but at 7 mill he's over paid by Miami

We Lost Kruger- Browns paid more than double- stupid move- they will cut him in 2 years. Waste of money.

Now Ed leaves in FA- Harbaugh solidifies his hold on the team.

End of the defensive stranglehold in Baltimore.

Ozzie always likes the below the radar signings- not the big splashy ones. Ask Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder how many SB's they have won since signing all these FA's.
Old 03-25-2013   #2052
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Labrum Tear didn't prevent that- it was his nerve impingement.
Not once over the past few seasons where reports have come out concerning “nerve impingement” with neck and shoulder pains, has there ever been referral to a "cervical disc" as his source for his nerve compression. Strange? No. This is evidently because the source is not a cervical disc. When a player like Reed has sustained repeated shoulder trauma including dislocations or subluxations (pop in and out), labrum and/or rotator cuff tears, it can lead to a condition known as Thoracic Outlet Syndrome which causes impingement of all the major nerves to the shoulder and arms......and not only creates weakness in this distribution and pain in these areas, but also many times throughout the distribution of the side of the neck. Repeated trauma to the shoulder area leading to increased inflammation and swelling and thus pressure (impingement) on the nerves only serves to aggravate the severity of the condition.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2053
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Not once over the past few seasons where reports have come out concerning “nerve impingement” with neck and shoulder pains, has there ever been referral to a "cervical disc" as his source for his nerve compression. Strange? No. This is evidently because the source is not a cervical disc. When a player like Reed has sustained repeated shoulder trauma including dislocations or subluxations (pop in and out), labrum and/or rotator cuff tears, it can lead to a condition known as Thoracic Outlet Syndrome which causes impingement of all the major nerves to the shoulder and arms......and not only creates weakness in this distribution and pain in these areas, but also many times throughout the distribution of the side of the neck. Repeated trauma to the shoulder area leading to increased inflammation and swelling and thus pressure (impingement) on the nerves only serves to aggravate the severity of the condition.

For additional explanation of What is thoracic outlet syndrome?, click the link.
Hey DocJean, what's the difference between a torn labrum and a rotator cuff injury? If need be, and not to derail this conversation maybe you could start a thread further down the dial (if you know what I mean)... Thanks, my brother.

Lay terms... please!
Old 03-25-2013   #2054
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacoby is not 'stepping into' Boldin's shoes- that's for Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson, et al. Jacoby is the PR, KR and Speedy WR on the outside.

We signed Chris Canty of the Giants, Marcus Spears for the DLine, Some our own FA's and Dumervil for the DLine.

We lost Ellerbe- but at 7 mill he's over paid by Miami

We Lost Kruger- Browns paid more than double- stupid move- they will cut him in 2 years. Waste of money.

Now Ed leaves in FA- Harbaugh solidifies his hold on the team.

End of the defensive stranglehold in Baltimore.

Ozzie always likes the below the radar signings- not the big splashy ones. Ask Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder how many SB's they have won since signing all these FA's.
Let me translate.

Everybody we lost is overpaid and sucked.

Everybody we got is not a big name but great.

Lol.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2055
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hey DocJean, what's the difference between a torn labrum and a rotator cuff injury? If need be, and not to derail this conversation maybe you could start a thread further down the dial (if you know what I mean)... Thanks, my brother.

Lay terms... please!
I'm not the Doc but as a lifter who couldn't touch the top of his head for a year because he blew out his shoulder in competition, I know a thing or four about rotator cuff injuries.

There are 4 muscles that make up the rotator cuff: supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis, and teres minor. They basically attach your arm to your shoulder blade in a bizarre and confusing tangle.

The LABRUM is actually the tissue on the inside of the shoulder joint that the ball that forms the head of the upper arm bone (the humerus) fits into. There are also bursa sacks up in there that get inflamed (I had one of those and it hurt. Bad.)

So the Labrum and the Rotator Cuff are kinda separate things but they're very closely inter-related in the way they work with each other. There are strength tests that can usually determine which one of the RC muscles is damaged.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2056
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me translate.

Lol.
Pretty much nailed it.
Old 03-25-2013   #2057
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not the Doc but as a lifter who couldn't touch the top of his head for a year because he blew out his shoulder in competition, I know a thing or four about rotator cuff injuries.

There are 4 muscles that make up the rotator cuff: supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis, and teres minor. They basically attach your arm to your shoulder blade in a bizarre and confusing tangle.

The LABRUM is actually the tissue on the inside of the shoulder joint that the ball that forms the head of the upper arm bone (the humerus) fits into. There are also bursa sacks up in there that get inflamed (I had one of those and it hurt. Bad.)

So the Labrum and the Rotator Cuff are kinda separate things but they're very closely inter-related in the way they work with each other. There are strength tests that can usually determine which one of the RC muscles is damaged.
You forgot to mention that the cure is damn near as bad as the ailment. I spent almost 3 months sleeping sitting up and over 6 months rehabbing. My torn rotator cuff was severe and had a torn labrum to boot. It was absolute hell getting over the surgery.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #2058
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Let me translate.

Lol.
There was no translation necessary- but you can do with it what you want.

The Ravens track record in Free Agency stands for itself.
Old 03-26-2013   #2059
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Lay terms... please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You forgot to mention that the cure is damn near as bad as the ailment. I spent almost 3 months sleeping sitting up and over 6 months rehabbing. My torn rotator cuff was severe and had a torn labrum to boot. It was absolute hell getting over the surgery.
Bill, The Pencil Neck and DocBar both share good information.

To summarize an answer to your question:

Labral tears are not uncommonly misdiagnosed as as rotator cuff tears by many lay persons and even some physicians. It is importance to distinguish the difference since the former is much more serious and much more potentially debilitative.

A labrum tear is a tear in the cartilage that lines the inside of the shoulder joint. That cartilage is there to help secure the arm in the socket, as the joint is somewhat unstable by nature. If the socket rim is disrupted, the ball can pop out (shoulder subluxation or dislocation).

Many are quick to ascribe shoulder pain to rotator cuff strains but that may be a dangerous self-diagnosis. Rotator cuff injuries affect the smaller, secondary, stabilizing muscles that surround the shoulder joint. These muscles include the teres minor, infraspinatus, supraspinatus and subscapularis. These injuries are usually small strains (muscle or musculotendinous tears) and will usually heal on their own with rest, ice and proper rehab, many times even in the case of severe tears. Those that don't will require surgery.

Why is a labrum tear more serious? Tears in the labrum will not heal on their own. They can become less symptomatic or even asymptomatic if treated properly. The tear remains but by strengthening and retraining the surrounding (rotator cuff )musculature, you may be able to continue activity symptom free. But this isn’t always the case. Many of these tears will require surgery. This depends on the type and level of activity/competition you are involved in. A competitive athlete would need to seriously consider surgery to remain at peak performer.

How can you tell the difference? It’s very difficult. If the injury doesn’t improve with treatment, that’s a good indicator you’re probably dealing with your labrum. After an initial diagnosis, a doctor will usually use an MRI to confirm the finding. Bottom line, if you have shoulder pain or instability that isn’t improving with therapy and rest, you need to see a doctor well-versed in shoulder injuries.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #2060
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

So, simply put, Labral tears are basically damage to the cartilage of the shoulder joint and rotator cuff injuries are failures (tears) to the muscles that provide mobility to the shoulder??

thanks again!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read