Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013   #2021
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Reed played mostly CF where as Quin came down to run with the TEs a lot; so they have different roles really.

Reed missed an awful lot tackles.
I didn't watch every game, but I think PFF or some site keeps track of those things.

I watched the Ravens play-offs games and a few others, and the pattern holds.

Granted, I think our guys are more disciplined in run support, and that should help Reed. I don't know how to explain it, but I think the number of misses by Reed would have been less with the Texans; at least, I hope so.

But the fact is that Reed did miss a lot of tackles (I think it was something like 1.5 per reg season game, a number that he cut down to about 1 in the play-offs.)

Some of the misses were because he "kinda" go for it all, instead of playing it safe by breaking down and wait for the play to come to him.

If you complain about Keo, you would be horrified watching those misses, at least 2 of them resulting in TDs (even though I wouldn't hold it solely against him.)
Good post- Ed did miss a bunch last year, as well as blown coverage and gambling for the big play resulting in TDs....
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2022
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My bad, folks.
I just verified the stats and Reed was charged for missing 15 tackles in the regular season; still an alarming number though.

Here's PFF study of 3 years (2009-11) of DBs' tackling.
Reed was not on the bad list for those years; but if you pro-rate 15*3=45, it would put him at second worse.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...fensive-backs/

I hope it was just a combination of other things that I mentioned in the previous post and not a thing to come.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2023
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, let me take it back once more; I didn't count the number of total snaps and the number of tackles attempted.

If I did, I'm sure Reed is not #2 worse.
He should be quite better (I estimate), but again, it was a lot of misses.
Old 03-24-2013   #2024
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
That's a dumb statement- you act all important and then post this? Shame on you.

Smith got to be the GM by knowing something; but of course, you know better.

I understand now. Its all about the "U" and the relationships made there.
Smith got to be the GM by knowing Kubiak.

Granted, he & the scouting dept has been doing an above average job in the draft & Identifying lesser known free agents. He's done an excellent job of getting stop gaps in the middle of the season.

But, imo, he's done a poor job of attracting top tier talent to the Texans. Yes, he gets a point for bringing in Jjo, another for Manning. But he started out trying to get Aso..... worked out for us that he couldn't land Aso. He couldn't land Boden. & there was a time there that I thought he missed on Reed. I'll give him a point for that one.

But... his overall record is week for attracting top tier talent & orchestrating trades. Things that go into making a great GM, in addition to drafting players. He's also on the fence for managing the cap.

No doubt in my mind that had Aj not let the Texans know that Reed was interested, we wouldn't have looked in his direction. Maybe a dumb statement. But I think his track record supports it.

Not only that, but replacing Quin was not a "need" most of us thought resigning Quin was top priority... or at least one of the top priorities. Replacing Demps & Keo was a "need"
Old 03-24-2013   #2025
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Smith got to be the GM by knowing Kubiak.

Granted, he & the scouting dept has been doing an above average job in the draft & Identifying lesser known free agents. He's done an excellent job of getting stop gaps in the middle of the season.

But, imo, he's done a poor job of attracting top tier talent to the Texans. Yes, he gets a point for bringing in Jjo, another for Manning. But he started out trying to get Aso..... worked out for us that he couldn't land Aso. He couldn't land Boden. & there was a time there that I thought he missed on Reed. I'll give him a point for that one.

But... his overall record is week for attracting top tier talent & orchestrating trades. Things that go into making a great GM, in addition to drafting players. He's also on the fence for managing the cap.

No doubt in my mind that had Aj not let the Texans know that Reed was interested, we wouldn't have looked in his direction. Maybe a dumb statement. But I think his track record supports it.

Not only that, but replacing Quin was not a "need" most of us thought resigning Quin was top priority... or at least one of the top priorities. Replacing Demps & Keo was a "need"
The money behind the GM has a lot to do with it as well IMO. The texas for the most part have not been known to overpay.
Old 03-24-2013   #2026
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'll never get this kind of criticism of any GM. Nothing saying we "couldn't" get Aso or Bodden. It's a negotiation and the two sides didn't come to terms. You're acting like Rick was just a poor salesman on the Texans and a good one could have gotten Aso to sign for $7 mil less which is pretty silly.
Old 03-24-2013   #2027
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Well, let me take it back once more; I didn't count the number of total snaps and the number of tackles attempted.

If I did, I'm sure Reed is not #2 worse.
He should be quite better (I estimate), but again, it was a lot of misses.
Reed missed 15 tackles in the regular season, tying him for 7th worst out of 87 safeties. Quin missed 7 in about the same # of snaps.

Other regular season: Michael Griffin 22, Thomas DeCoud 21, Malcolm Jenkins 20, Earl Thomas(!) 17.

Postseason: Reed missed 6 tackles, worst overall. But he also had the most opportunities by 2 or 3 times, and Pollard was right there with him @5.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2013   #2028
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1720 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Not butt hurt at all- I liked Ed, but Ed Reed isn't Ed Reed anymore. Gambles too much, is wrong a lot, cannot wrap up and leaves CB's stranded a lot. Other than that, he is a fine addition to the Texans.

Ravens lose more FA's than anyone else in the league, year after year. Since the inception of the Compensatory Pick in 1994 (2 years before the Ravens existed), the Ravens have been awarded the most picks for FA leaving because we are successful and win on a consistent basis.

Better to let a player go a year too early, than a year too late....
So this year should be like the others? Your just gonna rebuild your defense and Jacoby is gonna step into the shoes of Bolden?

Lol. Now that is some funny chit right there.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2029
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
So this year should be like the others? Your just gonna rebuild your defense and Jacoby is gonna step into the shoes of Bolden?

Lol. Now that is some funny chit right there.
They're off to a good start. They signed Dumervil.
Old 03-24-2013   #2030
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Reed missed 15 tackles in the regular season, tying him for 7th worst out of 87 safeties. Quin missed 7 in about the same # of snaps.

Other regular season: Michael Griffin 22, Thomas DeCoud 21, Malcolm Jenkins 20, Earl Thomas(!) 17.

Postseason: Reed missed 6 tackles, worst overall. But he also had the most opportunities by 2 or 3 times, and Pollard was right there with him @5.

Earlier in this thread, I reported his missed tackles stats last year. This has not been characteristic for Reed. It brings up the recollection of one of my posts in the thread last year "Ravens Injuries," prior to the Ravens - Texans game.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
ed reed might also be on the injury report with potentially a torn shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshep86 View Post
Myself and a few goal keepers I know had this same injury and surgery to fix it. This is what I know about a torn labrum:

Its inevitably going to subluxate at different points while playing and doing routine things in everyday life, you usually loose feeling in the arm for a little bit, but it's an injury you can play through. The more it subluxates, the longer it will take you to recover, but the recovering from SLAP surgery is general 1 months of rest, 1 month of light lifting, and 4 months of strengthening. If he was a pitcher, it would be a different story, but overall it's something Ed Reed can play through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You're right, he can play through it. BUT, if it is a significant torn labrum, he might be able to play through the pain and pursue and tackle, but he will have a significant limitation of range of motion of his shoulder, particularly raising his arm above his head. If our QB favors high throws this game, Reed may end up looking like a rookie.........an unprepared rookie. And don't expect him to go out of his way for "unnecessary" contact.
This type of injury does not "heal." If not major, in some cases, it may at least for some indeterminate period of time, be compensated for by concentrated muscle strengthening of the muscles of the shoulder, much like a rotator cuff. It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

This injury can have varying degrees of pain with full range of motion of the shoulder, and be accompanied by significant range of motion limitations, consistent with a safety "missing" tackles. The player will tend to avoid direct shoulder contact, will demonstrate less strength in wrapping, and certainly avoid one-handed tackles that could bend the involved shoulder/arm backwards.

I would look for these patterns to be lessened with offseason "rest" and concentrated rehab strengthening, as long as the injury has not already progressed too far.......and he does not sustain further injury to the shoulder.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2031
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Earlier in this thread, I reported his missed tackles stats last year. This has not been characteristic for Reed. It brings up the recollection of one of my posts in the thread last year "Ravens Injuries," prior to the Ravens - Texans game.

This type of injury does not "heal." If not major, in some cases, it may at least for some indeterminate period of time, be compensated for by concentrated muscle strengthening of the muscles of the shoulder, much like a rotator cuff. It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

This injury can have varying degrees of pain with full range of motion of the shoulder, and be accompanied by significant range of motion limitations, consistent with a safety "missing" tackles. The player will tend to avoid direct shoulder contact, will demonstrate less strength in wrapping, and certainly avoid one-handed tackles that could bend the involved shoulder/arm backwards.

I would look for these patterns to be lessened with offseason "rest" and concentrated rehab strengthening, as long as the injury has not already progressed too far.......and he does not sustain further injury to the shoulder.
Your always full of good news, Doc.
Old 03-24-2013   #2032
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1720 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
They're off to a good start. They signed Dumervil.
And?

Still need both safeties.

And a MLB.

Oh and an identity/ swagger/ heart. That's real easy to find in the draft.
I don't see Ray Lewis or Ed Reed in the draft.
Old 03-24-2013   #2033
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Oh I forgot a number 2 WR.
Old 03-25-2013   #2034
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And?

Still need both safeties.

And a MLB.

Oh and an identity/ swagger/ heart. That's real easy to find in the draft.
I don't see Ray Lewis or Ed Reed in the draft.
If you don't consider Dumervil a good start then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-25-2013   #2035
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

This type of injury does not "heal."

It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

Good news, bad news... Nobody knows what to expect in the future.

Ah well, just hope for the best, I guess!

As always, thanks for the info, Doc.
Old 03-25-2013   #2036
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

when i think of ed reed as a texan i immediately think of 2 games. first being the colts loss and our deep safety (pleasant?) missing badly and letting t.y. hilton go for a big touchdown on 3rd and long. we played a lot of single high man to man, but had extremely poor play from our safety especially late in the season. the next game is against the packers where we went man to man across the board, and aaron rodgers was throwing it deep with success all day. ed reed's not one we're going to leave underneath very often like quin, he's going to change the gameplan against the long ball teams and most certainly gives quarterbacks pause when looking for the deep throw.

this doesnt change the need to replace what quin did in coverage, but those responsibilities need to be on the linebackers. quin was doing cushing's job as often as not, so having cush back will make a huge difference, but we still need improved cover abilities at the other ILB position. someone who can stay on the field in nickel packages gives a much more complete defense.
Old 03-25-2013   #2037
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
If you don't consider Dumervil a good start then I don't know what to tell you.
It's a great start.

And ?.......
Old 03-25-2013   #2038
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

One of my friends ran into Ed Reed at Mo's Steakhouse on Friday. Apparently Lechler was there too, but she didn't get a pic with him.

Old 03-25-2013   #2039
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a great start.

And ?.......
I like how Ravens Fan says to us:

Quote:
Ed Reed won't matter because he's not a QB and you have QB problems
Yet Ravens Fan doesn't realize that his team losing EIGHT starters (not 2nd stringers, by the way, s-t-a-r-t-e-r-s) and signing Elvis Dumervil doesn't help them cope with the loss of EIGHT starters, most of which were on defense at key positions that are now vacant of talent and veteran leadership.

Personally, even though we have a QB problem, our roster is more talented and more solid and experienced than the Ravens' roster is now. What they lost, eight starters, cannot be made up by the signing of Dumervil. I'd rather have our problems than the Ravens' problems.

Might not win a ring, and frankly that the Ravens lucked their way into a SB title and now there's little trolls acting like they are truly "the best" and how Ed Reed is suddenly garbage and is washed up, makes me laugh. I guess when you win a ring you get to point to it and make fun of others...even when that time is gone and a new season is emerging right around the corner.

That's why I hope the Ravens go on a streak of like 6+ seasons of having a middle-of-the-record record, something like 6-10 or 8-8 so that they don't make the playoffs but they also don't get a high draft pick. And then let's see how much money Flacco is worth. And how it hamstrings what they can do for the next few seasons.

Cyclical. Everything comes around.
Old 03-25-2013   #2040
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
One of my friends ran into Ed Reed at Mo's Steakhouse on Friday. Apparently Lechler was there too, but she didn't get a pic with him.

Ed ole boy, save your hand for something else, LOL!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read