Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2013   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Could Texans compete with USC for Kevin Sumlin ?

Quote:
COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin is a top target of Southern California, the Los Angeles Daily News wrote this morning. Sumlin addressed the early USC rumors more than a month ago by saying, “It means you’re winning and doing things the right way.”

In early October Sumlin, 49, said it comes down to being one of two types of coaches: When rumors abound you’re going be fired, or hired by someone else. Sumlin also told me in the offseason regarding stories that he’d been courted by the NFL, “We just got here” in terms of getting the Aggies program rolling.

A&M finished fifth last year – its first top five finish since 1956 – in only his first season at A&M. The Aggies are 7-2 so far this season with narrow losses to Alabama (49-42) and Auburn (45-41). Privately, Sumlin’s offered every indication he’d love to stay at A&M, where he once served as an offensive coordinator under R.C. Slocum, but he did tell me over the summer he might consider the NFL “someday.”

And the job I’d keep an eye on regarding that is the Houston Texans, should Gary Kubiak retire or not be brought back. Sumlin, who’s held in high regard by the Texans brass, is extremely familiar with that organization, having served as the Houston Cougars’ head coach from 2008-11. And uprooting his children from Aggieland to Houston, where they lived before, wouldn’t be as big a deal as moving elsewhere.
http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2...pbn#15438101=0
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Could Texans compete with USC for Kevin Sumlin ?

If it were me, I'd much rather go to a major college program like UT or USC than the pros.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #3
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Next thread:

Can IDEXAN start threads in the correct section of the forum?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Can you imagine what would happen if we hired Sumlin and then they draft Manziel in the 1st? I think this forum would explode.
Old 11-08-2013   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Can you imagine what would happen if we hired Sumlin and then they draft Manziel in the 1st? I think this forum would explode.

Can you imagine what would happen if we hired Sumlin and then they didn't draft Manziel in the 1st?

Oh wait, same thing. "Explode". Never mind.

Honestly, I'd just dig it to see hundreds of thousands of Aggies crap perfectly formed ACME bricks all at the same time.
Old 11-08-2013   #6
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Hire Sumlin and no need to draft QB, go all defense in the draft and problems solved! Pop champagne next year.
Old 11-08-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be cautiously optimistic of Sumlin as I would anyone else. I think a well respected college coach could do well with Texans and a local boy would probably bring a couple years of patience from fans. I think he would be very happy with Keenum.
Old 11-08-2013   #8
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on how bad the Texas A&M defense has played I'm not so sure I am sold on Sumlin. And I think the Texas A&M offense is more to do with Johnny Manziel than it is does Kevin Sumlin. Some team could get Franchioneed here. Think back to TCU, LaDainian Tomlinson and Dennis Franchione. Alabama and Texas A&M got Franchioneed.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak isn't going anywhere, but I'd take Shaw if forced to play this silly game
Old 11-08-2013   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If BoB hires Sumlin I'm done.

Sumlin has never won a confrence championship and always loses 1-2 games a yr that he shouldn't lose, both at UH and A&M.

If BoB hires Sumlin it will obviously be to appease the Aggie fans after Gary is fired. 8 yrs of Aggie leadership/Mediocrity is enough.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #11
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sumlin during the press conferences when asked about JFF's bad habits seemed to struggle to put a sentence together. I am not impressed. Doesn't seem all that bright to me.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #12
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

"Could Texans compete with USC for Kevin Sumlin ?" If you're not down with that, I've got 2 words for ya:

ART BRILES
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #13
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
If it were me, I'd much rather go to a major college program like UT or USC than the pros.
I see this as a lateral move. Is A&M not on the same level?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #14
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Sumlin has never won a confrence championship and always loses 1-2 games a yr that he shouldn't lose, both at UH and A&M.
I'm with you. Thats my main issue with him, if he can get over that, I would love to have him.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #15
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
A&M is way better than either of those.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278082 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Sumlin has no experience in the NFL, iirc. I would not want a head coach that has absolutely no NFL pedigree.

We've seen great college coaches chewed up and spit out by the NFL too many times. For every Jimmy Johnson you have Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Dennis Erickson, etc.

Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh do not count, as they had NFL experience as player or coach before their current teams.
Old 11-08-2013   #17
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks, pass.
Old 11-08-2013   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

No if for no other reason than I am freaking tired of hearing people piss and moan about Aggies, Aggies attending games, drafting because they are Aggies, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
A&M is way better than either of those.
Says an Aggie? USC is considered a much better/more prestigious job and likely carries a much bigger salary.
Old 11-08-2013   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278082 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No if for no other reason than I am freaking tired of hearing people piss and moan about Aggies, Aggies attending games, drafting because they are Aggies, etc.
No doubt. We've had the Fresno Mafia and the Bevo Homers invade the board in the past, and their undying loyalty toward an individual player over team has taught us the limits of their 'devotion' to the Houston Texans.
Old 11-08-2013   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Can you imagine what would happen if we hired Sumlin and then they didn't draft Manziel in the 1st?

Oh wait, same thing. "Explode". Never mind.

Honestly, I'd just dig it to see hundreds of thousands of Aggies crap perfectly formed ACME bricks all at the same time.
I think it would result in Twilight levels of fanboyism. You would have Team JFF vs Team CK, and it would be hilarious. Probably terrible for the team, but it would be amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
The money, prestige, recruiting potential and loation are all better at USC and UT, but other than that, it's pretty much a lateral move.

Unless you mean geographically, then yeah LA is only a couple degrees north of CS.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read