Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-02-2013   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Curley Culp going into HOF as Chief?

I always thought he was more known as an Oiler more than a Chief. However I was born in '69 so have no recollection of his time in KC.

So does the player choose which team he goes in as? If so, I wonder if the fact that the Houston Oilers no longer exist played into his decision to go in as a Chief.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #2
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Curley Culp going into HOF as Chief?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I always thought he was more known as an Oiler more than a Chief. However I was born in '69 so have no recollection of his time in KC.

So does the player choose which team he goes in as? If so, I wonder if the fact that the Houston Oilers no longer exist played into his decision to go in as a Chief.
From the Pro Football HoF website (It doesn't work like baseball):

Quote:
An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.
link
Old 08-02-2013   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The player doesn't declare, but it'll be his time as a Chief that will be emphasized by the media and the NFL. It's all back room politics, just like any other large gathering of decision makers. HOF voters don't want to put LYB era Oilers into the HOF. If they didn't have a bias against, Brazile would be in.
Old 08-02-2013   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I for one am celebrating "Curley Culp Day" at work with my #78 jersey.

I don't know why they would emphasize his Chiefs time over his Oilers years. Most of his recognized accomplishments came after the 1974 trade that brought him here.

AFL All-Star (1969)
Pro Bowl selection (1971, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978)
1× First-team All-Pro (1975)
2× Second-Team All-Pro (1978, 1979)
1975 NEA Defensive Player of the Year
Super Bowl Champion (IV)
Old 08-02-2013   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Well, I for one am celebrating "Curley Culp Day" at work with my #78 jersey.
That's awesome man. Where did you land that jersey?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Having grown up as a kid in KC while he was playing, I have never been able to think of him as anything but a Chief. Either way, I would have been just as happy for him.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's awesome man. Where did you land that jersey?
$25 from "My man in China!"

Jerseys
Old 08-02-2013   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

When I think Curly Culp, I think of the Chiefs first. Maybe I'm old.

Oh.

Yeah.

I am.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Culp was on the winning SB team when with the Chiefs, not the Oilers.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Culp was on the winning SB team when with the Chiefs, not the Oilers.

I remember watching the Hank Stram led 1969 SB mythical team with names that jump out of NFL history..........QB Len Dawson, LB Willie "Contact" Lanier, LB Bobby Bell, DT Buck Buchanan, DT Curley Culp, CB Emmitt Thomas and K Jan Stenerud (All HOFers). That defense was unbelievable. It also had a very special name....."The Stack Three Defense," actually the true precursor to the 3-4 defense, where Stram put 2 tackles......huge tackles in those days......... over the center and let loose the linebackers to go crazy. Stram also used his own innovation of the never-before-seen "moving pocket" to keep the opponents' large defensive linemen from reaching Dawson. Like I said before, those were the "real" Culp games that will forever be embedded in my mind. Sorry for the trip through memory lane.
Old 08-03-2013   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Always a class guy.

Quote:
The Broncos traded Culp to Kansas City in his rookie season — an event that “changed the whole course of my professional football career,” he said Saturday night. Thereafter, Culp crafted a long, productive career as a defensive tackle for the Chiefs (1968-1974), Oilers (1974-1980) and Lions (1980-1981). In 1975, he earned defensive MVP honors from the Newspaper Enterprise Association.

“You know, this is an occasion that has long been in my dreams, and now lives in reality,” Culp said during his induction speech. “I cannot express how glorious a feeling this is for me and my family, who have long hoped with me that this day would come. So to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame gives me joy and inspiration that will last the rest of my life.”

In his speech, Culp thanked the late Hank Stram and Bum Phillips — “two of the greatest coaches a player could ever work with,” he said.
link
Old 08-03-2013   #12
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

He thanked Pancakes too.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read