Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2013   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 Compensatory Picks ANNOUNCED tomorrow

Looks like tomorrow (3/18) is the day we get word on draft compensation from 2012 free agent losses. Most have predicted that the Texans will get (1) 3rd and (3) 6th rounders based on the losses of Mario, Briesel, Dressen and Allen.

Common sense would seemingly dictate that this frees up the regular 3rd and 6th for trade bait or to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 2nd round. Given the ultra-conservative nature of the Texans organization I don't think we can expect any big splash type moves.

What do you guys see as options?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Compensatory Picks ANNOUNCED tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Looks like tomorrow (3/18) is the day we get word on draft compensation from 2012 free agent losses. Most have predicted that the Texans will get (1) 3rd and (3) 6th rounders based on the losses of Mario, Briesel, Dressen and Allen.

Common sense would seemingly dictate that this frees up the regular 3rd and 6th for trade bait or to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 2nd round. Given the ultra-conservative nature of the Texans organization I don't think we can expect any big splash type moves.

What do you guys see as options?
Rick Smith has a well know approach of moving all over the board, both up and back but mostly back to gather more ammo to move up later where the real value is. But I'm sure that's because he doesn't have to balls to make a *splash* move. Whatever the hell that is. I'm gonna sit back and watch and see how it all works out.

Then I'm going to log on to hear how incompetent he is and how he has no business being a GM in the NFL.

I love the offseason almost as much as the season it's self. Ain't a damn thing these players or the FO staff can do to please the folks on the interwebs.

I LOVE it!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Rick Smith has a well know approach of moving all over the board, both up and back but mostly back to gather more ammo to move up later where the real value is. But I'm sure that's because he doesn't have to balls to make a *splash* move. Whatever the hell that is. I'm gonna sit back and watch and see how it all works out.

Then I'm going to log on to hear how incompetent he is and how he has no business being a GM in the NFL.

I love the offseason almost as much as the season it's self. Ain't a damn thing these players or the FO staff can do to please the folks on the interwebs.

I LOVE it!

A little sensative about Rick Smith I see.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons. That's on the entire organization including your boy. They really need to make a bold move this offseason unless they are content with simply filling seats which seems to be the MO these days.
Old 03-17-2013   #4
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Give up a 1st and a 2nd this year and next to move up to 9 and get Dion Jordan.
Old 03-17-2013   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
2 playoff wins in 7 seasons.
You are running all over the MB spamming this comment. First off, this is about to be Smith's 7th draft. So far he is 2 playoff appearances in 6 seasons.

Second your whine this has some sort of statistical significance is ridiculous when the playoff runs came in THE LAST TWO YEARS. I.E. it is dumb to ***** on a high. 0 of 4 - good time to *****. O of 4 goes to 2 of 6 - not so much.
Old 03-17-2013   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

About the only clear thing that I have seen in the sepculation is the the Texans will get a 3rd for Mario. some think that the texans will get another extra pick or up to three extra picks.

That said, i have no idea why the NFL believes that not making a clear formula for these compensatory picks is a good thing for the teams or its fans.
Old 03-17-2013   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58892 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Give up a 1st and a 2nd this year and next to move up to 9 and get Dion Jordan.
I like Jordan but hell no! He ain't worth that much.
Old 03-17-2013   #8
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Was just throwing it out there as an option since it seemed OP was looking for wild ideas to chew on.
Old 03-17-2013   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A little sensative about Rick Smith I see.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons. That's on the entire organization including your boy. They really need to make a bold move this offseason unless they are content with simply filling seats which seems to be the MO these days.
That's been the MO since the Texans inception. Winning is just a bonus, this is how a man invests 200-300 mil and turns it into 1.2 bil and counting.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like it's about time to start the TT mock draft. SM hasn't been around much who wants to run it?
Old 03-17-2013   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Looks like it's about time to start the TT mock draft. SM hasn't been around much who wants to run it?
That's a pretty good job there steelb. Heck you run a company and it's personnel surely you've got time for the TT mock draft.

I've been trying to decide if I have time to participate this season as at the moment it's nowhere near as hectic as it was last year on the shop front.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That's a pretty good job there steelb. Heck you run a company and it's personnel surely you've got time for the TT mock draft.

I've been trying to decide if I have time to participate this season as at the moment it's nowhere near as hectic as it was last year on the shop front.
Nope understaffed at the moment and have had some minor health issues. Better, but it's time to get back to work.

You should run it, your great with people and very even keeled. LOL
Old 03-17-2013   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You are running all over the MB spamming this comment. First off, this is about to be Smith's 7th draft. So far he is 2 playoff appearances in 6 seasons.

Second your whine this has some sort of statistical significance is ridiculous when the playoff runs came in THE LAST TWO YEARS. I.E. it is dumb to ***** on a high. 0 of 4 - good time to *****. O of 4 goes to 2 of 6 - not so much.
Good spin, but unfortunately facts are facts... this is Rick Smith's 8th season as GM. Just because he wasn't part of the draft in 2006 doesn't mean he didn't occupy the position.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is a simple fact. Not sure how a fact is considered a "whine" unless you have issues processing information that you dislike.

Either way, it's my opinion that the organization has been a relative failure on the field and the numbers kind of bare that out. I'm sorry that you disagree.
Old 03-18-2013   #14
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good spin, but unfortunately facts are facts... this is Rick Smith's 8th season as GM. Just because he wasn't part of the draft in 2006 doesn't mean he didn't occupy the position.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is a simple fact. Not sure how a fact is considered a "whine" unless you have issues processing information that you dislike.

Either way, it's my opinion that the organization has been a relative failure on the field and the numbers kind of bare that out. I'm sorry that you disagree.
So let me get this straight; you consider two consecutive division titles a fail??
You're saying going 22-10 over the past two seasons a "relative failure on the field"??
iI don't see how you can count 2006 thru 2009 as potential winning seasons if you knew the cast of castaways we had filling up our roster.

Makes no sense.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #15
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1795 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

These guys have not liked Kubiak or Smith for a long time now. They probably wanted them gone after '08. No matter what the team does and no matter how many games they win, they will still find something to moan about. I'm not a big fan of Kubiak either but I am happy with two straight division titles. And I expect them to be contenders year in and year out. If they sh&t the bed this year, then I will be right back to wanting them gone.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #16
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh? Are you saying the 2006 Draft is his "fault" even though he wasn't a part of the Texans organization yet? I'm sure he'd be glad to take credit for that draft. It's probably one of the best drafts the Texans ever had!

Quote:
2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is a simple fact.
Yes, that's a fact, but you left off an important bit of information. Those 2 playoff wins came in the last 2 years of that 7 year span. That's a fact too that has some bearing on how you should look at the whole picture. It's a progression; a building of the team through the Draft that takes time. Granted, it's been slow while other teams "seem" to take only a year or 2 to turn around. But, every team and every situation is different. The Texans were starting basically at "ground zero" when Kubes got here, and only AJ is left from the old team he inherited. Heck, only OD is left from that 1st draft Kubes had in 06, and that was considered a great draft.

Is Smith perfect? Hardly. He's had his share of mistakes (Okoye), but overall, I think he and Kubes, and now Wade, have done a good job building the team. You and I may not like all of their picks, FA signings, FA losses, trades, etc..., but we're not privy to all the info they have and can only speculate about what's happening behind the scenes. The proof is in wins and losses, and the last 2 years they've won more than they lost (22-10), have 2 Division titles, and 2 playoff wins. It's not a Super Bowl win but I believe they are heading in that direction, and McNair must think so too and is willing to give Smith/Kubes that chance or he would have fired them. JMO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think its funny that some texans fans are so blinded by hate that they cant see that smith is a good gm.. not perfect by any means but has one of the highest batting averages in terms of successful FA & draft records. seriously, hes almost right up there with belichick & newsome if you compare his tenure with theirs.

obviously it hasnt meant a SB yet but that we're now a consistent winner that is widely regarded as one of the most talented rosters in the league... yet the blind ppl think he should be let go because they can point to a couple of failed moves & decisions. guess what? nobody gets anything close to perfection in personnel. honestly, its makes ppl sound clueless and i know i zone out the rest of their posts when i see it. its like asking to cut a arian or aj if they have a play that results in a loss
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

ignoring the hate, i think it's very likely that we stay put and load up on picks. we lost fringe starters but kept our core, we need depth more than locks.

that being said, i would love to see us trade up (using our comp picks to round out the draft). as i've said repeatedly, we're a RT and WR2 away from being a complete offense. wade phillips has exceptional talent at every tier - 2 stud DE's, a stud ILB, 2 CB's, and a safety - with competent talent mixed in (including early picks reed and mercilus). i want to see us focus resources on offense for the next two seasons and give wade the back half - athletes and gamers that he can progressively work with.

we've become a top 5 offense with a backup quarterback, a 30+ receiver with no one behind him, late round tightends, an undrafted runningback, an unwanted first round left tackle, and a bunch of nobodies on the line. think on that the next time you assume another coach could simply drop in and improve our game. it's past time we focused on giving kubiak some real ammo.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-18-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
we've become a top 5 offense with a backup quarterback, a 30+ receiver and no one else, late round tightends, an undrafted runningback, an unwanted first round left tackle, and a bunch of nobodies on the line. think on that the next time you assume another coach could simply drop in and improve our game. it's past time we focused on giving kubiak some real ammo.
I agree with much of what you've said. But the offense has 6 of the 8 largest contracts the Texans have on the books. If that's not "real ammo" then they shouldn't have handed out those contracts.

I think the Texans need to do whatever they must to get the offense back "on the right track". If that means getting a WR or RT or both, they should do that. Most importantly, they need to get the QB playing better than he did the last part of the season. If that doesn't happen, it won't matter what else they do.
Old 03-18-2013   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i see that it's offensive heavy regarding the contracts, but that's just because of what came up - schaub, foster and brown this year with daniels last year if i remember correctly (and AJ of course). those numbers will flip when kareem, watt, cushing, and the defense come into their deals. that being said, my stance doesnt change. we have created talent from very underwhelming molds ... i say it's past time that kubiak had raw materials like mangold to work with instead of myers. he should have first round targets like crabtree and davis. he should have the depth to run any and every play that he thinks will help us win.

as for schaub, i'm with the masses that it's time we find a replacement, but i feel we need to groom someone. schaub is very much capable of leading us to the superbowl, assuming health and a few bounces. what he lacks is opportunity. give him wade's defense and targets better than kevin walter, and i think many will be surprised at what schaub is actually capable of.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-18-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read