Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans D D Acholonu - OLB

Texans | Acholonu Added - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:52:03 -0700

Paul Sheehy, of ProStar, has confirmed to KFFL that the Houston Texans have claimed OLB/DE D.D. Acholonu (Bills).

Ourlads says he is 6'-2" 239# OLB Washington ST. 2004 FA idonno:

He was on my pre-draft board. Great edge rusher and big hitter. Good pass rushing skills but small for our OLB's. Ex-track star in high school. Perhaps we look at him inside as a project.

__V__ said:
Perhaps we look at him inside as a project.
We need one of those badly, I dont want Troy Evans being the top backup at both ILB spots when the season starts.

Found this profile on him at SI.com
D.D. ACHOLONU
Position: OLB
Class: Sr
School: Wash. St.
Conference: Pac-10
Ht., Wt.: 6'2, 232
40 Time: 4.75
Grade: 3.28

BIO: Moved into the starting lineup as a senior and proceeded to post 52/21/16.5 after totaling 31/10/6.5 as a junior and 19/15/9.5 the prior year. Lined up at defensive end in college.

POSITIVES: Athletic prospect that brings a great degree of explosion to the game. Quickly gets off the ball out of a three-point stance, rushes the edge with speed and immediately alters his angle of attack. Fast pursuing the ball carrier from behind and makes plays in all directions. Effective off the line of scrimmage, displays outstanding range and plays with balance.

NEGATIVES: Undersized and must run around blocks. Only average ball skills in space.

ANALYSIS: After a terrific senior campaign, Acholonu is now a legitimate pro prospect. Stands out on tape but needs repetition and experience making plays in reverse. Solid long-term developmental prospect.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/31124.html

I dont want Troy Evans being the top backup at both ILB spots when the season starts.
Fiddy, you're forgetting about DaShon Polk who has a pretty good shot at making the team.

2003 NCAA Sack Leaders (Chronicle)

16.5 Dave Ball, UCLA - Chargers
16.5 Kenechi Udeze, USC - Vikings
16.5 D.D Acholonu, Wash. St - Undrafted
15.0 Jason Babin, Western Michigan - Texans
15.0 Bo Schoebel, TCU - titans

I think if Foreman or Sharper get injured we are going to slide Wong inside, then Peek can play OLB. Wong did take reps at ILB in mini-camp.

As for the Bills releasing this guy, I wonder if they have the inside track on Jason Gildon.

Acholonu is a 3-4 type with talent, but due to his size will take time to develop so he is another project. He went undrafted and was picked up then released by the Bills. Anyone remember the Texas/Washington State game late last year? Thought he was a playmaker in passing situations and special teams. Certainly worth a shot with the Texans, hope he excells and at least makes the practice squad.

aj. said:
Fiddy, you're forgetting about DaShon Polk who has a pretty good shot at making the team.

2003 NCAA Sack Leaders (Chronicle)

16.5 Dave Ball, UCLA - Chargers
16.5 Kenechi Udeze, USC - Vikings
16.5 D.D Acholonu, Wash. St - Undrafted
15.0 Jason Babin, Western Michigan - Texans
15.0 Bo Schoebel, TCU - titans
I did forget about Polk, but he too is a special team standout. However, he does have some experience.

More importantly, Acholonu tied for the NCAA sack lead last year?!?!?!?!? He can play :woot:

__V__ said:
He was on my pre-draft board. Great edge rusher and big hitter. Good pass rushing skills but small for our OLB's. Ex-track star in high school. Perhaps we look at him inside as a project.

He might be small, but I don't look for him to be inside. I think he'll be a project at OLB. But in the meantime, he'll be exciting to see on special teams.

I had him on my pre-draft also, and I'm excited that the Texans picked him up.

I'm not stating we will absoultely use him inside. Just speculating due to the fact that we don't play guys that small on the edge much. Our outside linebackers are bigger than our inside linebackers for the most part (although right now they are all around 250 except for Babin who is 260+). The OLB's have to take on Tackles more than the inside guys. In a 4-3 it will be reversed. It is not uncommon to see 230 pound OLB's in a 4-3, but you won't see too many 230 OLB's in our 3-4. That is why you don't see us drafting many traditional OLB's.

Given that DD's calling card has been edge rusher, I think the texans are just throwing another into the OLB mix despite his lack of traditional size. Out of the group of Dunn, S. Orr, R. Orr, Anderson, or Acholou, I expecting the guy who is the best special teamer to make the 53 man squad with one maybe two of these guys on the practice squad.

As for the LBs in general, the top 5 appear to be Babin, sharper, Peek, wong, and Foreman. Wong seems to the most verstitle and will move around if need because of injury.

Also, becuase of Wong's ability to move around that may mean the team only keeps Evans or Polk, not both, which may give another OLB trainee a chance at the 53.

Being a personal longtime friend of DD Acholonu for the past 11 years I can tell you he is just as big as most of the other linebackers on the Roster. He is 6'3 243 not 6'2 232. Dont believe me, look up the Houston Texans Roster. I think there was only 2 or 3 other linebackers heavier than him. This kid is solid muscle and will be a great addition to the 3-4 and specialty teams because of his 4.4-4.5 speed. He led the Pac-10 in sacks his sophmore year and didnt even start a game that year. He's second all time at Wash. St. in Sacks and and Tackles for Loss. All of this while only starting his Senior Year. He was projected to be drafted as early as the 4th round but because of a hamstring injury at the combine he posted a slower 40 than what he can run and for some reason he was listed as the 6'2 232 when he's bigger than that.

I think the biggest thing is that there are 6 linebackers with very little experience, 3 rookies and 3 with 1 year of experience. Should be interesting to see which of those 6 make it.

brianj22 said:
Being a personal longtime friend of DD Acholonu for the past 11 years I can tell you he is just as big as most of the other linebackers on the Roster. He is 6'3 243 not 6'2 232. Dont believe me, look up the Houston Texans Roster. I think there was only 2 or 3 other linebackers heavier than him. This kid is solid muscle and will be a great addition to the 3-4 and specialty teams because of his 4.4-4.5 speed. He led the Pac-10 in sacks his sophmore year and didnt even start a game that year. He's second all time at Wash. St. in Sacks and and Tackles for Loss. All of this while only starting his Senior Year. He was projected to be drafted as early as the 4th round but because of a hamstring injury at the combine he posted a slower 40 than what he can run and for some reason he was listed as the 6'2 232 when he's bigger than that.

Thanks for the info. I was WONDERING why he ran such a slow 40 time (4.7) at the combine when he was obviously faster than that. I mean, how many college defensive ends do you know of that also ran track?

And since he's a friend of yours, maybe you can shed some light on a question that I have. When he signed with Buffalo, why was he released so quickly?

He was released quickly because they already have a good set of LB's and they needed to make room to sign some CB's. I think they signed 1 or 2 CB's the next day, i cant completely remember

They have a decent set of starting LB's (Spikes, Fletcher, Posey) and they are/were rumored to be in the Gildon chase, plus they run a 4-3 so there are fewer roster spots but you're telling us that DD couldn't compete with the likes of Josh Stamer? lt still makes me wonder if he's not performing well in some aspect or if the injury is still slowing him down. They did sign a couple of undrafted free agent DBs around the time DD was released but I don't see where that would matter if DD was a good prospect in their eyes. They are currently carrying 9 LBs and one of their 8/9 guys is an undrafted free agent by the name of Asa Francis who they must feel is a better prospect at this point than DD. If they were able to sign Gildon, then I could see how they wouldn't have much room at outside LB for an undrafted FA trying to make the team. Maybe he's having trouble getting downfield on special teams. That makes or breaks a lot of backup LBs.

Back