Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trust the Texans' Front Office

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
As of 3pm on Wednesday, the Texans were one of four teams not to have signed a free agent:

Jets- who are in cap hell and reorganizing

Packers

Patriots

** So, I don't think the inactivity is something to panic over. Just like the Texans, the Packers and Patriots are losing key contributors to their teams.

Packers, beyond Jennings and Charles Woodson, have lost some contributors and have other players dangling out in the wind

Patriots are about to lose Welker and have lost key elements of their offensive line.

JamesBill

Waterboy
I would say the Texans are closer to the Jets than the Pats or Packers. Having QB makes you look a hell of a lot smarter than you are.

Nawzer

Alienz
I'm not panicking at all. If anything it's kind of fun to talk about something football related. My happiness or sadness doesn't depend on a football team.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Now that Glover Quin is signing with the Lions, Texans will turn their attention to another veteran safety to replace him.

jtexas

Waterboy
As of 3pm on Wednesday, the Texans were one of four teams not to have signed a free agent:

Jets- who are in cap hell and reorganizing

Packers

Patriots

** So, I don't think the inactivity is something to panic over. Just like the Texans, the Packers and Patriots are losing key contributors to their teams.

Packers, beyond Jennings and Charles Woodson, have lost some contributors and have other players dangling out in the wind

Patriots are about to lose Welker and have lost key elements of their offensive line.
I trust them not to overpay for players, BUT we are clearly a worse team at this time than we finished last season. If we don't make a few key vet signings, this team shouldn't expect more than a 9-7 finish.

I have not heard one ounce of panic from any Texans fan. Neither personal friends, nor people on this message board, nor the normal yahoos on the radio are worried, it seems.

At this point, yes, we do trust the front office. Not sure why you assume we don't.

deucetx

Rookie
No panic from me either. Only thing I am skeptical on is Quin and if we offered something worthwhile. If not then that is something I think should be a bit more than irritating. But it's possible the Lions just blew it out the water. They tend to act on the side of deperate.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Now that Glover Quin is signing with the Lions, Texans will turn their attention to another veteran safety to replace him.
Why bother? We can draft one and beef up our front seven in the draft as well. The defense is going to be fine. Our attention in free agency has to be wide receiver. Can we put together enough cap space to at least make Greg Jennings an offer? The Vikings, a team with a lot of cap room, said they felt Jennings would be too expensive according to NFL Live on ESPN. Ugh, that doesn't look good then. If the Broncos sign Wes Welker they are the current favorites in the AFC entering the 2013 season, but we can answer back their big addition with one of our own.

pec0sb0b

on the lam
If Quin goes to Detroit, I think Michael Huff could bring the team the same versatility in Phillips' defensive scheme.

Huff’s Versatility

We see many safeties double as slot corners in sub packages but it’s very rare that a safety can make the move to a traditional cornerback role and have success. That’s exactly what Huff did in Week 3 when injuries forced the move to left cornerback. The Pittsburgh Steelers attacked him often (completing eight of the 11 balls thrown his way), but they were mostly of the short variety and Huff’s -3.1 grade in that game stemmed mostly from his three missed tackles.

After the tough first game, Huff continued to show improvement and seemed to make the position switch official when he picked up three passes defensed and an interception (and a +2.3 coverage grade) against the Atlanta Falcons’ wide receiver duo of Roddy White and Julio Jones in Week 6. Huff finished the season at cornerback and graded at +2.1 at his new home. It was an impressive performance as he performed admirably at a position where most safeties would be exploited.

When you add it all up, opponents completed only 53 percent of passes into Huff’s coverage and he finished with nine passes defensed and two interceptions. All of this came two years removed from Huff grading at +17.2 as our No. 2 safety in the league, and one year removed from his strong play when filling in as the team’s slot cornerback. He’s essentially succeeded in three different positions over a three-year period.

Any team looking to sign Huff will likely put him back at his more natural spot at safety, but his experience playing in the slot and on the outside will prove invaluable. In a league that covets versatility, Oakland’s releasing Huff may have vaulted him to the top of the free agent safety rankings.
-https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-heyward-bey/

Bulls on Parade

No panic from me either. Only thing I am skeptical on is Quin and if we offered something worthwhile. If not then that is something I think should be a bit more than irritating. But it's possible the Lions just blew it out the water. They tend to act on the side of deperate.
If we don't land a legitimate number two wide receiver, somebody established, in free agency we better panic because we'll be another divisional round loser (at best) again next year. We can't draft a WR and expect that to be the answer. We have too many young and inconsistent guys as it is. Heck, I'll take DeVier Posey (when healthy) and Keshawn Martin over any WR we could possibly draft with pick number 27. Chances are that guy would be a huge bust and even if he pans out, it will take two or three seasons before we know. By then Andre Johnson will be washed up and we'll be in the market for a new number one.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
If Quin goes to Detroit, I think Michael Huff could bring the team the same versatility in Phillips' defensive scheme.

-https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-heyward-bey/
I'd be fine with Huff if the price is right, but I like Adrian Wilson more. I think we will see them address the position through free agency rather than the draft. It will be interesting to see what they find for cheap on June 2nd.

mussop

Hall of Fame
If we don't land a legitimate number two wide receiver, somebody established, in free agency we better panic because we'll be another divisional round loser (at best) again next year. We can't draft a WR and expect that to be the answer. We have too many young and inconsistent guys as it is. Heck, I'll take DeVier Posey (when healthy) and Keshawn Martin over any WR we could possibly draft with pick number 27. Chances are that guy would be a huge bust and even if he pans out, it will take two or three seasons before we know. By then Andre Johnson will be washed up and we'll be in the market for a new number one.
WR is a ways down on the importance list as far as winning is concerned. S, NT, ILB, OLB and OT are the more important positions to worry about right now.

Bulls on Parade

WR is a ways down on the importance list as far as winning is concerned. S, NT, ILB, OLB and OT are the more important positions to worry about right now.
I understand that but I think my trust in Wade Phillips and our track record drafting defensive players in recent years, gives me more optimism that we can land some impact guys on defense. I think our offense, which features what, six or seven pro bowlers (Schaub to me wasn't one the final month of season and playoffs), just needs a couple more additions through free agency

eriadoc

Texan-American
I'll go ahead and own up to it - I don't trust them. That doesn't mean I'm panicking or worried, but last offseason, the team got worse. We saw the Texans losing players and the team was worse. Everyone pushed their concerns to the back because we all heard how the Texans were just a QB away from an AFC Championship game, since Schaub was injured. Well, now they're still a QB away from an AFC CG, and they're still losing players. And every time we talk about a free agent, someone comes along to remind us that the team doesn't have room under the salary cap. Well, that situation didn't just magically create itself. The salary cap is managed by the front office. So the team keeps losing players and still has salary cap problems that prevent them from signing adequate replacements.

I have enough faith in the scheme and defensive coaching that I'm not terribly worried about it, but unless they have an outstanding draft (read: way better than last year), the loss of talent is going to catch up. You have to replace lost talent somewhere. The Texans have chosen to do it through the draft. That's fine, but then you have to hit on your draft picks and you have to keep the ones you hit on.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If the Texans take a receiver at #27, that guy will be able to contribute early.

He will be better than either Posey, Martin, or Jean.
Actually, that guy is already better than them three.
That guy should become a legit #2, with a chance of becoming a #1.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I'll go ahead and own up to it - I don't trust them. That doesn't mean I'm panicking or worried, but last offseason, the team got worse. We saw the Texans losing players and the team was worse. Everyone pushed their concerns to the back because we all heard how the Texans were just a QB away from an AFC Championship game, since Schaub was injured. Well, now they're still a QB away from an AFC CG, and they're still losing players. And every time we talk about a free agent, someone comes along to remind us that the team doesn't have room under the salary cap. Well, that situation didn't just magically create itself. The salary cap is managed by the front office. So the team keeps losing players and still has salary cap problems that prevent them from signing adequate replacements.

I have enough faith in the scheme and defensive coaching that I'm not terribly worried about it, but unless they have an outstanding draft (read: way better than last year), the loss of talent is going to catch up. You have to replace lost talent somewhere. The Texans have chosen to do it through the draft. That's fine, but then you have to hit on your draft picks and you have to keep the ones you hit on.

I am choosing to trust them. It's difficult, though, not because of their track record, but because it is hard to see all these players signed and we are stagnant.

That being said, the money will dry up way before the available talent does. We should be in great position to buy at bargain price. It appears that has been the plan, but I will feel better once it takes place. I still have bad memories of the secondary going unadressed in 2009-2010

eriadoc

Texan-American
I am choosing to trust them. It's difficult, though, not because of their track record, but because it is hard to see all these players signed and we are stagnant.

That being said, the money will dry up way before the available talent does. We should be in great position to buy at bargain price.
That is also why I am not panicking or upset. I'm just wary of blindly trusting Smithiak.

It appears that has been the plan, but I will feel better once it takes place. I still have bad memories of the secondary going unadressed in 2009-2010
These days, it's WR.

Bulls on Parade

Same here. I truly believe we can build a really strong defense for the next several years. We are going to become the new Ravens in terms of having a dominating defense year in and year out.

Having guys like J.J. Watt, who is the best defensive player in the NFL and only 23 years old, Brian Cushing (26), Brooks Reed (26), Whitney Mercilus (22). We've got a great foundation of young studs for our 3-4 defense. I trust our front office to draft a solid nose tackle, another inside linebacker and safety. We will add even more talent soon. Even if they're not all home runs I believe Wade Phillips' coaching is enough to turn even a bad young defensive player into somebody good. If they are already good he can turn them into a pro bowler and superstar.

By the way, I haven't ruled out 23-year-old defensive end Jared Crick from developing into a special player in this league. All he needs is another year to get settled in but he has "beast ability" in my eyes. I'm kind of hoping he'll be our solution one day when Antonio Smith's contract runs out or if he's eventually released for cap savings.

Bulls on Parade

If the Texans take a receiver at #27, that guy will be able to contribute early.

He will be better than either Posey, Martin, or Jean.
Actually, that guy is already better than them three.
That guy should become a legit #2, with a chance of becoming a #1.
I really hope you are right but deep down that makes me very nervous. I'd rather see the Texans draft a defensive player with pick number 27. That would make me a happy man, as I'm sure that will also make Wade Phillips happy. Our offense shouldn't struggle with seven pro bowlers on it. We just need one veteran wide receiver in free agency. If the offense still struggles then Gary Kubiak is too blame because he's the one calling the plays.

Hagar

Drink up yall, its the Texans!
The Texans' are losing role players that can be replaced cheaply. Every team has its stars that they are going to pay big bucks for and lose role players. The question is have they chosen the right players to keep as the stars. AJ, Schuab, Cushing, Brown, Watt are the stars (maybe a couple others), everybody else can be replaced.

Bulls on Parade

Seriously? There's nothing in the track record to suggest that they're remotely capable of doing that. The best nose tackle in Texans history is still Seth Payne.
Have we really tried to find one in the Wade Phillips era? Shaun Cody and Earl Mitchell have been serviceable. He's made mediocre players like that look decent at times in this 3-4 defense. I trust big Wade when it comes to finding defensive talent. I believe the next Casey Hampton is out there in this draft and we're going to find it baby!

ASidd_1990

Waterboy
Seriously? There's nothing in the track record to suggest that they're remotely capable of doing that. The best nose tackle in Texans history is still Seth Payne.
LMAO please Shaun Cody is the best NT in the NFL and Kubiak will battlefight with him till the end!

eriadoc

Texan-American
The Texans' are losing role players that can be replaced cheaply.
Not exactly true. Using Quin as an example - he is a role player. But replacing him cheaply is not as easy as you suggest. We could just as easily end up with another Antwan Molden as we could Glover Quin. The key for good teams is when they develop and coach up those mid-level players, especially a position shift like Quin, is to hang onto them for a reasonable price. Now, I don't know if $5M/yr is a reasonable price for Quin or not, but the fact that Texans never even offered him a contract and let him hit free agency makes me question what the hell they're thinking.

Anytime your strategy is to replace talent solely through the draft, you have to hit on your picks and the ramp-up time in coaching has to be accounted for. There's value in the mid-level guys that are solid contributors, as long as you know what that value is. By not even offering Quin, I question Rick Smith's assignation of value.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Gotta reload, just like the Ravens have to do year in/year out.

Huff looks interesting, but he was due $8 million in 2013 -- we won't approach that number, other teams might.

ASidd_1990

Waterboy
I don't care. Whatever it is, the Texans could've matched Glover Quin contract. They're choosing to be fiscally responsible for future years and ignoring the rapidly-closing window right in front of their faces. I don't give a **** if matching Quin and Barwin might lead to a massive purge come 2015/2016, because the fact of the matter is, those aren't likely to be contending years anyway. Not with this core, at least. You have maybe two more years of the Schaub/Foster/Johnson era. If you can make yourself a bigger Super Bowl contender in the meantime, it's well worth dropping from 8-8 to 5-11 in three years.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of the Daryl Morey approach (championship or bust). With the Texans, it's what keeps them competitive and in the playoff hunt for the longest possible time. There just isn't the emphasis on building a true contender.

SMH
:toropalm::toropalm:

ASidd_1990

Waterboy
Our championship window is rapidly closing and you go out and let valuable players go?

I would argue Quin was our 2nd best defensive player outside of Justin James Watt.

Our championship window is rapidly closing and you go out and let valuable players go?

I would argue Quin was our 2nd best defensive player outside of Justin James Watt.
JJ Watt
Antonio Smith
Jonathan Joseph
Kareem Jackson
Daniel Manning/Brooks Reed

I strongly disagree. Quinn was maybe 7th best.
Remember all those big plays where the receivers got behind the defense and got big td receptions? It's the safety's responsibility to stop that from happening.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
I don't care. Whatever it is, the Texans could've matched Glover Quin contract. They're choosing to be fiscally responsible for future years and ignoring the rapidly-closing window right in front of their faces. I don't give a **** if matching Quin and Barwin might lead to a massive purge come 2015/2016, because the fact of the matter is, those aren't likely to be contending years anyway. Not with this core, at least. You have maybe two more years of the Schaub/Foster/Johnson era. If you can make yourself a bigger Super Bowl contender in the meantime, it's well worth dropping from 8-8 to 5-11 in three years.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of the Daryl Morey approach (championship or bust). With the Texans, it's what keeps them competitive and in the playoff hunt for the longest possible time. There just isn't the emphasis on building a true contender.

SMH
Translation:

:D

coon

Waterboy

SMH
If we just match contracts to keep everyone, it will bite us back when J.J. WATT is a free agent. Glover is solid and I really wish we could have kept him, but not worth overpaying.

For the record, Morey DOES NOT overpay for players unless they are stars, so he would have done the same thing.

LMAO! Please the Ravens won a Superbowl because of their FA. Jacoby Jones, Bernard Pollard and Vonta Leach anyone?
The Ravens used FA to supplement what they already had. Flacco, Rice, Suggs, Lewis, Reed, Ellerbe, and Ngata were all more important over the year and were all draft picks.

You build a foundation with draft picks. FA should be like adding granite countertops. They're nice, but mean nothing if the initial foundation isn't there.

Last edited:
If we just match contracts to keep everyone, it will bite us back when J.J. WATT is a free agent. Glover is solid and I really wish we could have kept him, but not worth overpaying.

Yep. We have got to start looking ahead to JJ's next contract. The federal reserve doesn't print enough money that it will likely take to pay him. His next contract is going to be MASSIVE, and Bob McNair will likely never, ever, ever, ever let him go. We have to prepare now.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
LMAO! Please the Ravens won a Superbowl because of their FA. Jacoby Jones, Bernard Pollard and Vonta Leach anyone?
:mcnugget:

They won because of their free agents?? :spit: Pollard was so instrumental the Ravens released him.

I guess guys like Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Suggs, Lewis weren't the reason???? Hell, as much as I dislike Flacco (and know he'll come back down to Earth), him? Shall I keep going?

BullBlitz

Section 331
I'm not panicking at all. If anything it's kind of fun to talk about something football related. My happiness or sadness doesn't depend on a football team.
Same here.

It's like the Keystone Cops down there. Actually funny to watch how they think they are being so shrewd, end up getting fans' hopes up every year and end the season with a thud.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
This is coming from someone who is relatively a Daryl Morey "guy", how many Championships has Daryl won in now his 6th season, again? Hell, how many playoff series have the Rockets won under his watch...

Dumbest comparison, ever.

For the record, Morey DOES NOT overpay for players unless they are stars, so he would have done the same thing.

Exactly!! (On both points) Although I have an aside or two:

A) I do think the Texans should've or could've afforded Quin at what Detroit's offer was.

B) What superstar has Morey paid for? "The Beard" maybe a superstar in the making, but even still, Morey didn't overpay.

Other than that, you were spot on..........

AND FTR, I'm done with basketball comparisons.... I'm looking at you Asidd_1990

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep,

This is what BoB is looking for in season ticet holders.

No resaon to strive to be the best.

Lets keep the $$$ rolling in.

I cant believe nataive Texans carry your sentiment.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yep,

They've been spending all of their cap allowance every year, what else can they do?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Yep,

Guess what?: according to Baltimore sources, the Texans have been actively pursuing Ed Reed since early yesterday, at least.

In other words, we are reacting to incompetent and lazy local beatwriters not incompetent and lazy personnel management by the Texans. They are active but nobody knows it. Thanks JM.