Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-15-2013   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Salary Cap question

Sorry to be vague heading out the door but been wanting to ask this for days.

Seems for Barwin and GQ the local radio and print media have analyzed the new contracts with "well, it seems big, but when you boil it down it's a tiny cap hit they'll never see all that money."

If that's truly the case, errr, why don't we/every team sign players like that?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Salary Cap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

Seems for Barwin and GQ the local radio and print media have analyzed the new contracts with "well, it seems big, but when you boil it down it's a tiny cap hit they'll never see all that money."

We have and will. Focus should be on bonus money that is paid upfront or in first year + any guaranteed money. Players always get that no matter what and why more important than total contract amount. Agents like total amount so they can brag to other recruits what they did for player x. Other bonuses such as roster or incentative is only given to player when designated after meeting. IMO, it is possibe for Barwin and Quin to play entire contract and therefore earn all with possible exception of incentatives.

Sacks for Connor and INTs/tackles for Glover for example may not be earned.
Old 03-15-2013   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think most teams do that. Players contracts will say 5 years/$50 million (as an example), but in reality a player usually won't see all $50 million because only a certain amount is guaranteed.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #4
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Salary Cap question

Right, I understand guaranteed v. not, but I've heard it boiled down to the Eagles and Lions didn't really stick their necks out, that the guaranteed amounts are reasonable and that the cap hit, I THINK I heard $2.5 mil for GQ the first year? How can that possibly be right? If it is right, then why aren't we structuring our deals like that and keeping them....?

I'll look up numbers when I get home, what I'm basing my question on is what I've heard in Houston media the last few days and not hard numbers.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 03-15-2013   #5
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Right, I understand guaranteed v. not, but I've heard it boiled down to the Eagles and Lions didn't really stick their necks out, that the guaranteed amounts are reasonable and that the cap hit, I THINK I heard $2.5 mil for GQ the first year? How can that possibly be right? If it is right, then why aren't we structuring our deals like that and keeping them....?

I'll look up numbers when I get home, what I'm basing my question on is what I've heard in Houston media the last few days and not hard numbers.
So he gets 5 million up front, which is average over the contract. First year it's great, it's the 2014/2015 hit that they won't be able to take.

Quin Glover (5 years, $23.5 million; $5.25 million signing bonus)

2013 -- $1 million base ($2.05 million salary cap)
2014 -- $4 million ($5.05 million salary cap)
2015 -- $4 million ($5.05 million salary cap)
2016 -- $4 million; $750,000 roster bonus ($5.8 million salary cap)
2017 -- $4 million; $1 million roster bonus ($6.05 million salary cap)

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Mario Williams' rookie contract was just like that & that was unheard of at that time. However, we were foolish enough to let him play it out.

I like Mario, I wish he was still here. But I do not agree with paying him $16M & $18M the final two years of his deal. It would have been shrewed to cut him, smart to trade him if he was unwilling (which I think he was & from his perspective, I totally understand) to restructure. But no one is worth that kind of money.

Well, I am but no one is willing to give it to me.
Old 03-15-2013   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
So he gets 5 million up front, which is average over the contract. First year it's great, it's the 2014/2015 hit that they won't be able to take.

Quin Glover (5 years, $23.5 million; $5.25 million signing bonus)

2013 -- $1 million base ($2.05 million salary cap)
2014 -- $4 million ($5.05 million salary cap)
2015 -- $4 million ($5.05 million salary cap)
2016 -- $4 million; $750,000 roster bonus ($5.8 million salary cap)
2017 -- $4 million; $1 million roster bonus ($6.05 million salary cap)
If that's the actual structure of the contract, then they basically signed him for 3 years, 14.25 million, or 4.75m a year. Eating a 2.1m signing bonus for cutting him in 2016 isn't a big deal. That team has a 2-3 year window to win a Super Bowl, and they are pushing all the "to be dead" money to 16 and 17.
Old 03-15-2013   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Cool Re: Salary Cap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If that's the actual structure of the contract, then they basically signed him for 3 years, 14.25 million, or 4.75m a year. Eating a 2.1m signing bonus for cutting him in 2016 isn't a big deal. That team has a 2-3 year window to win a Super Bowl, and they are pushing all the "to be dead" money to 16 and 17.
So if they cut him after 15, what happens to the cap in 16 and 17 (let's assume those are the numbers).
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 03-15-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if they cut him after 15, what happens to the cap in 16 and 17 (let's assume those are the numbers).
They should incur roughly $3.85 in dead money, reducing their cap space by the same amount in 2016.
The book is then closed on him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read