Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kevin Walter Cut *UPDATE* Signs with Titans

Señor Stan;2134265 said:
The thread title needs to remain uncorrected.

A fitting tribute...

LOL..I corrected it. Sorry, typing fast and for some reason I add the "S" Feels so right, I don't want to be wrong/.

It's a good move. I'm all for celebrating when the organization makes good decisions like they have done here. However, it should be remembered, that Kevin Walter was a heck of a player for the Texans. He was always on the field. Never created problems. Made many big catches and did all the little things (like blocking) to help this team win.

It was frustrating watching the wide receiving corp struggle to get open and create separation the past two seasons, but he was never paid to be the guy that stretches the field. He always did his job and did it well.

Thank you, Kevin Walter, for the past six years.

The move saves 2.5 million in cap space this year, because it creates 2 million in dead money. It also saves 4.5 million in cap space for 2014.

Thanks for the memories Kevin. I'll always remember that Playoff clinching catch you made 2 seasons ago against the Bengals, and that monster game you had against the Jags couple years ago.

I expect to see someone added -- mid/low tier free agent.

Or it could be setting up someone (hopefully Quin) for a contract renewal.

If it were a restructure (which we probably wouldn't know about this soon anyway), then you could almost guarantee something was coming down as a direct result. As it is, it's still a realistic possibility, and we can hope for some news.

The move saves 2.5 million in cap space this year, because it creates 2 million in dead money. It also saves 4.5 million in cap space for 2014.

I am hopeful that will go towards a NT like Aubrayo Franklin. I was not a fan of Walter when Gary brought him onboard but came to enjoy his play. After last season time to move on. He can get another deal elsewhere or perhaps go on radio with other former Texans. Not thinking we will see anything on Quin be signed for some time by Texans. He has probably been offered a deal and Smith with allow him to persue offers.

The one thing I don't like is that Kubiak didn't quite prepare for the replacement.

I thought one of the other guys (Jean or Posey) should have seen a little more of the field in the blocking capacity of Walter.

Too caught up in winning games? May be.

But I believe in transitions; you have got to prepare for the next wave instead of just throwing them out to the wolves to sink or swim.

(They did for other positions, from TE to nickel back.)
But I still wanted for them to prepare the WRs a little better.

So what I'm wondering is are we going to be seeing Walter again with a smaller salary before all is done. I'm not saying I want to see him back, I'm just wondering what the odds are that we do see him again.

The one thing I don't like is that Kubiak didn't quite prepare for the replacement.

I thought one of the other guys (Jean or Posey) should have seen a little more of the field in the blocking capacity of Walter.

But I believe in transitions; you have got to prepare for the next wave instead of just throwing them out to the wolves to sink or swim.

Didn't Posey actually overtake Walter in WR2 snaps near the end of the season? All the more reason why Posey's injury was so unlucky for the team. :(

Walter will be missed in the run game, but it was clear that what little he offered in the pass game was dwindling. I'm not sure if I want him back unless it's at the vet min and even then I might favor the young guys.

Good locker room guy, did everything asked, squeezed all his talent out on the field, but he was somewhat limited athletically. Good guy, and I'll miss seeing him out there, but the timing was right for this.

My thoughts are none of the 3 (Martin/Posey or Jean) brought what Kubiak expected so he continued with Walter. Posey did come around and did see more time which supports my position. Also the" win the game" is a good projection.

In before the whiny "if we would of done this sooner we could of had Bolden" post.

Wonder who is next. Smith (OG)????

Which is confusing to me.

Why now? This could have been done three months ago, giving Kevin more time to find a team before FA.

Why not restructure? Surely Walter doesn't believe he'll make equivalent money elsewhere.

I know that I don't know, but the way the Texans conduct business just seems awkward to me.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
extension that relieves cap number more likely #Texans RT @BKSportsTalk Chances that Antonio Smith is released?

I like Kevin Walter. Teams need guys like that. I have never had a problem with Kevin Walter. What I have had a problem with is the coaching staff putting him in a position that he was never really suited for. What I have a problem with is how he has been a #3/#4 level receiver, paid like a #2/#3 level receiver, and yet the team is still worse without him, as of this moment. Maybe they have a plan to replace him, but I sure haven't grown to trust their decisions at WR.

Good luck, Kevin Walter.

Maybe we'll be able to draft Swope. I mean, it just wouldn't be right not having our token white boy at the WR position.

And yes, I omitted Maehl on purpose

Maybe we'll be able to draft Swope. I mean, it just wouldn't be right not having our token white boy at the WR position.

And yes, I omitted Maehl on purpose

I didn't even know Maehl was white. I guess he didn't see the field often enough for me to notice lol.

Why now? This could have been done three months ago, giving Kevin more time to find a team before FA.

Why not restructure? Surely Walter doesn't believe he'll make equivalent money elsewhere.

I know that I don't know, but the way the Texans conduct business just seems awkward to me.

Only thing I can guess is they took the time to evaulate options via draft and wanted to see all the possibilities in free agency in terms of who was released and get a feel for what type of contracts some are seeking. Guess they have specific targets in mind that made them feel more comfortable with the release. I always found it a service to the player though that if you are going to release a guy then get it over with so they can get on the radar of other teams.

Thankful for the work he put in but it was time for us to move on. But 76 is right in that our work at developing receivers leaves something to be desired and makes it a bit worrisome at the same time.

I didn't even know Maehl was white. I guess he didn't see the field often enough for me to notice lol.

Ha, no doubt. I'm not sure why we keep bringing him back

IMG_1077-600x800.jpg

It's a good move. I'm all for celebrating when the organization makes good decisions like they have done here. However, it should be remembered, that Kevin Walter was a heck of a player for the Texans. He was always on the field. Never created problems. Made many big catches and did all the little things (like blocking) to help this team win.

It was frustrating watching the wide receiving corp struggle to get open and create separation the past two seasons, but he was never paid to be the guy that stretches the field. He always did his job and did it well.

Hear, hear.

Bet he gets a Superbowl ring before we do....LOL!

I'm thinking he retires unless we bring him back at a lower cost. I think I've heard him say before that he really doesn't see himself moving on. Still, people's plans change. Boldin said he would retire if not with the Ravens.

Three questions:

1. How would it have been better for the Texans if he'd been cut three months ago, or two months ago, or two weeks ago?

2. How much do you really think Kevin Walter would have benefitted had the above happened? It's not like he's missing out on any of the free agency period as defined by the start of the new league year, and it's also doubtful that any team(s) would have been beating a path to his door sign him if he had been available. Cutting him the night before opening day, I can see the issue - cutting him the first day of the new league year doesn't seem unfair at all (if being fair even matters).

3. In what way is it "awkward"? There's been a steady stream of NFL players getting cut over the last few days, including others being cut today (Antoine Winfield for one). There will also very likely be cuts over the next few days. It doesn't seem awkward at all to me - it just seems like the way much if not most of the NFL conducts business.

Walter did his job up until midway last year and the wheels fell off the whole cart . Last year was supposed to be the Texans year and now they're scrambling to put the pieces back together .

This is made a bunch more difficult when you don't have the likes of Brady , Brees , Manning or Rogers .

Walter was in the twilight of his carear, so this isn't surprising. I wish the guy nothing but good luck in his future. We have some good memories of his performances here.

Thank you for the memories!! We loved you and wish you well!!

Thanks for the memories Kevin. I'll always remember that Playoff clinching catch you made 2 seasons ago against the Bengals, and that monster game you had against the Jags couple years ago.

Walter will be missed in the run game, but it was clear that what little he offered in the pass game was dwindling. I'm not sure if I want him back unless it's at the vet min and even then I might favor the young guys.

Good locker room guy, did everything asked, squeezed all his talent out on the field, but he was somewhat limited athletically. Good guy, and I'll miss seeing him out there, but the timing was right for this.

Agree with the above. Respected him for how he played and the kind of pro he was. I wish him well also.

OTOH, not surprised either.
Here's hoping Posey makes a full recovery. I think he's the heir apparent, not Jean or any of the others.

Wonder if this means less of a "run-first" mantra from the offensive brain trust.

................G .GS Rec .Yds .Y/R TD YScm
===============================
7 yrs HOU 109 89 326 4083 12.5 24 4165

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kevin+Walter+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Houston+Texans+fgTVN9c6TYvl.jpg[/IMG]

I like Kevin Walter. Teams need guys like that. I have never had a problem with Kevin Walter. What I have had a problem with is the coaching staff putting him in a position that he was never really suited for. What I have a problem with is how he has been a #3/#4 level receiver, paid like a #2/#3 level receiver, and yet the team is still worse without him, as of this moment. Maybe they have a plan to replace him, but I sure haven't grown to trust their decisions at WR.

Good luck, Kevin Walter.

I agree with this. Walter's not a terrible receiver. He's got great hands, and I rarely ever see him drop a pass.

But like you said, he's a #4/#3 (at best), and he's getting paid like a #2, and playing as our #2. That's where the problem is. No, our WRs are not better without him, but cutting him gives us more cap space to pursue other options at WR that may upgrade our #2 position.

Three questions:

2. How much do you really think Kevin Walter would have benefitted had the above happened? It's not like he's missing out on any of the free agency period as defined by the start of the new league year, and it's also doubtful that any team(s) would have been beating a path to his door sign him if he had been available. Cutting him the night before opening day, I can see the issue - cutting him the first day of the new league year doesn't seem unfair at all (if being fair even matters).

If he had been cut, then he could have signed with another team whenever. However, I doubt another team really would have spent a dime on him before they saw what else was available. Plus, it's a very deep WR draft. I would imagine most teams would look at a mid-round rookie receiver as a better alternative to Walter.

Thanks for the years, KW!

Hopefully we can find another no. 2 WR that can catch floppy passes thrown to where he was in his route a second before. Dude could stop mid-route and make catches behind himself as good as anyone on the team. He was also pretty good at making catches that appeared to be thrown at his feet.

Back