Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2013   #81
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions interested in Glover Quin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I'd let both of them go for Ed Reed.

Just saying. He can still play and that leadership would go far on this team. Would still look to draft a safety but Reed would be a great stop gap.
It is an exciting group of free agent safeties:
Delmas
LLandry
Reed
Goldson
KPhillips
Mikell
C.Woodson

and others.

The money will dry up before some of these guys are signed. There will be some great bargains by this weekend.
Old 03-12-2013   #82
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I'd let both of them go for Ed Reed.

Just saying. He can still play and that leadership would go far on this team. Would still look to draft a safety but Reed would be a great stop gap.
Not a big fan of that. I love Ed Reed but he has always been the centerfield type. We can't replace Quin with a centerfield safety unless we shift Manning's role to what Quin does now. I've already given my opinion on shifting Manning.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #83
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Not a big fan of that. I love Ed Reed but he has always been the centerfield type. We can't replace Quin with a centerfield safety unless we shift Manning's role to what Quin does now. I've already given my opinion on shifting Manning.
There are also guys like Adrian Wilson, Abram Elam, DLandry, Bigby that can play SS well... Plus, some of what Quin did this year was a result of a lack of coverage ability at LB. Cushing's health and the addition of someone like McIntosh, Akeem Jordan, Boley, M.Lawosn, Keith Rivers, or Dansby could change the need for a safety that can play in the box. By the way, in today's NFL, I'd much rather deal with two safeties that struggle to plug the run than safeties that can't cover a tight end.
Old 03-12-2013   #84
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It is an exciting group of free agent safeties:
Delmas
LLandry
Reed
Goldson
KPhillips
Mikell
C.Woodson

and others.

The money will dry up before some of these guys are signed. There will be some great bargains by this weekend.
I would assume that Reed and Woodson will command contracts higher than Quin on a per year basis. Goldson is the best safety there, in terms of value over the length of a contract, so he will most definitely be more expensive than Quin. Delmas will command the same type of money as Quin and not sure if he fits the role as well as Quin does. Hard to say with him. Mikell has been abused far too much for my liking.

I could see a LLandry or KPhillips signing but still don't think they offer the same value over the contract that Quin does.
Old 03-12-2013   #85
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would assume that Reed and Woodson will command contracts higher than Quin on a per year basis. Goldson is the best safety there, in terms of value over te length of a contract, so he will most definitely be more expensive than Quin. Delmas will command the same type of money as Quin and not sure if he fits the role as well as Quin does. Hard to say with him. Mikell has been abuse far too much for my liking.

I could see a LLandry or KPhillips signing but still don't think they offer the same value over the contract that Quin does.
Other than Goldson, I don't think it is clear what these guys will command. The money will get tight by Friday and weird things happen after that. Remember two years ago: guys started signing one year deals because they couldn't get anything near their "value" so they could hit free agency in a better market. This year is similar in available money and # of quality free agents.
Old 03-12-2013   #86
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There are also guys like Adrian Wilson, Abram Elam, DLandry, Bigby that can play SS well... Plus, some of what Quin did this year was a result of a lack of coverage ability at LB. Cushing's health and the addition of someone like McIntosh, Akeem Jordan, Boley, M.Lawosn, Keith Rivers, or Dansby could change the need for a safety that can play in the box. By the way, in today's NFL, I'd much rather deal with two safeties that struggle to plug the run than safeties that can't cover a tight end.
Your right but....Adrian Wilson turns 33 in October, Elam turns 32 in October, and Landry turns 31 in December but I do like him. Atari Bigby has been dealing with injuries his entire career and turns 32 in September.

None of the linebackers mentioned can be expected to cover slot receivers and TEs.
Old 03-12-2013   #87
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

If we don't resign Quin this will be a major blow IMO. We have NO depth at safety and I have to disagree that this is an exciting FA safety class. I did a breakdown of our options near the bottom of page 4. I would appreciate if some of you guys read it and gave me some feedback.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2013   #88
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael Huff was just released by Oakland.
Old 03-12-2013   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hope you're right, I dont have a good feeling about this offseason for the Texans.

The 1 yr they spent on top tier FA's they made the playoffs. (Just Saying.)
Again, you're rewriting history. Anthony Weaver didn't pan out, but there were only 2 DEs rated above him that did not sign with their original teams, making him the third rated DE available. That year, we signed both the 2nd rated available DE (ND Kalu) & the third.

Matt Schaub was tendered with a first round pick. We traded 2 seconds to get him & signed him to a starter's contract.

I also believe Antonio Smith was one of the top rated DEs at the time & we paid him a pretty penny as well.

Just saying.
Old 03-12-2013   #90
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I have given it serious thought but I still think it is a really bad move to let him hit the open market because we have 4 options. Play Keo, sign a free agent, draft a rookie, or tag him.

Playing Keo would be a disaster.

Sign a free agent. Dashon Goldston, William Moore and Jairus Byrd would cost too much. Rick Smith knew this if they did any type of analysis which they probably did a while ago. Lewis Delmas can't stay healthy. Kenny Phillips had microfracture surgery a couple of years ago and also missed most of 2012 with another knee injury. Ed Reed will never play for the Texans. LaRon Landry has had a very inconsistent career. The rest of the guys are either old or a significant downgrade.

As for a rookie I believe that we have too many needs to draft a safety who can start from day one.

For this reason I personally would have placed the franchise tag of 6.8 million on him, worked on a long term deal, and cut a player like Kevin Walter (just did that) to help make room for a player who is a crucial part of our no depth secondary. Many players like to test free agency but given the circumstances and alternatives I think that it was stupid to let Quin hit the open market.
1. Agree totally on Keo
2. Agree with concerns regarding Delmas and Phillips
3. You have no idea whether Reed would play for us or not.
4. I love Landry and think he is worth the gamble.

Franchising Quin would eat up our available cap and make other moves very difficult. I'd like them to sign him but I don't want them to overpay on a 4 or 5 year deal. So, I like that they have let him look around.

If Quin goes, there are a lot of quality veteran options that will allow money to be allocated elsewhere. Also, we will have 10-11 draft picks and it is a deep group of safeties. So, if we don't grab one of the following (Landry, Goldson, Delmas, Reed, etc..), we still will get Mikell, Sensabaugh, DLandry, Crocker, Bigby, Huff, Elam, A.Wilson, etc... and also address the group in the draft.
Old 03-12-2013   #91
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

As of March 9th, 2013, the Lions only have $5,361,000 in cap space.

LINK

As of 5 hours ago we have about $11.5 million in cap space.

LINK

Will the Lions have enough cap space to sign Quin?

Last edited by texan279; 03-12-2013 at 08:04 PM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #92
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Agree totally on Keo
2. Agree with concerns regarding Delmas and Phillips
3. You have no idea whether Reed would play for us or not.
4. I love Landry and think he is worth the gamble.

Franchising Quin would eat up our available cap and make other moves very difficult. I'd like them to sign him but I don't want them to overpay on a 4 or 5 year deal. So, I like that they have let him look around.

If Quin goes, there are a lot of quality veteran options that will allow money to be allocated elsewhere. Also, we will have 10-11 draft picks and it is a deep group of safeties. So, if we don't grab one of the following (Landry, Goldson, Delmas, Reed, etc..), we still will get Mikell, Sensabaugh, DLandry, Crocker, Bigby, Huff, Elam, A.Wilson, etc... and also address the group in the draft.
Thanks, good insight. Only death is certain but I doubt Ed Reed will ever be in a Texans uniform, especially after winning the Super Bowl. I think he will retire a Raven. Mikell would be a great option, I would love to see him in a Texans uniform. Huff is another guy who I would like for us to sign. I doubt we sign Landry to a long term contract due to his injury history and the fact that he is asking for 6 million dollars per year. Some idiot GM will probably give it to him too. Sensabaugh would be a considerable downgrade IMO. Crocker seems to be past his prime and Bigby is another guy with an injury history. Not too excited about this FA safety class.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 03-12-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention Michael Huff.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #93
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
As of March 9th, 2013, the Lions only have $5,361,000 in cap space.

LINK
Yet, every free agent is rumored to be considering the Lions. Do these reporters ever bother to check the math?
Old 03-12-2013   #94
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now people are saying that KJax is more important than Quin.
That's because Jackson outplayed Quin last season. People change their tune based upon how players perform. Jackson has come from sucks eggs to very good in 2 seasons. Quin has gone from so-so to OK.

Quote:
I'd like to hear the 6 or 7 defenders that are more important to the Texans than Quin.
Quote:
Also, Smith is 31, Quin is 27. Quin is certainly worth more, ALOT more.
Forget for a moment what other posters think about Quin versus the other defenders. What do the Texans think? If the Texans felt that Quin was more important than Antonio Smith, they cut cut Smith and easily sign Quin. They could cut Manning (freeing up $2.5 million) and that would help secure Quin. But, they haven't. What does that tell you? Doesn't mean they don't like, or want Quin back. Just that there is a number that they think he's worth. And that there are players already under contract they value as much, or more.
Old 03-12-2013   #95
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Forget for a moment what other posters think about Quin versus the other defenders. What do the Texans think? If the Texans felt that Quin was more important than Antonio Smith, they cut cut Smith and easily sign Quin. They could cut Manning (freeing up $2.5 million) and that would help secure Quin. But, they haven't. What does that tell you? Doesn't mean they don't like, or want Quin back. Just that there is a number that they think he's worth. And that there are players already under contract they value as much, or more.
It will obviously all come down to where the Texans value him. I believe that they should value him higher than others teams do, considering he is familiar with the scheme/coaches/players and fits it well. We shall see.

If they plan on cutting a player to free up cap room to resign Quin, I would think that they would go through some negotiations with Quin first to see where they need to be cap wise to make that move.
Old 03-12-2013   #96
Lucky

Quote:
It will obviously all come down to where the Texans value him. I believe that they should value him higher than others teams do. We shall see.
That's absolutely fair. I haven't agreed with every decision the Texans have made (by a long shot). BTW, I still think Quin will end up back in Houston.
Old 03-12-2013   #97
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Any chance Routt could play safety?
Old 03-12-2013   #98
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Again, you're rewriting history. Anthony Weaver didn't pan out, but there were only 2 DEs rated above him that did not sign with their original teams, making him the third rated DE available. That year, we signed both the 2nd rated available DE (ND Kalu) & the third.

Matt Schaub was tendered with a first round pick. We traded 2 seconds to get him & signed him to a starter's contract.

I also believe Antonio Smith was one of the top rated DEs at the time & we paid him a pretty penny as well.

Just saying.
Weaver was a Casserly bust and one of the big reasons that BoB is overly cautious about spending $$$$ in FA. (Thanks Charlie/Weaver)

Schaub was a trade aquisition not a FA.

A.Smith was a decent signing but not on the level of star power/higher coveted position CB vs DE than A.Smith was at the time.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #99
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Schaub was a trade aquisition not a FA.
Schaub had received an RFA tender. The Texans worked out the alternative compensation and tender offer.
Old 03-12-2013   #100
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

^^^^

Way to split hairs counselor
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read