Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2013   #201
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Three -- 3! -- undrafted free agents will make this team's final 53 man roster.

That's ridiculously good. My hat is off to Rick & Co.
+ 2 6th rounders which is also impressive. I know there maybe a question on what about 2 3rd rounder and 1 4th rounder. We will know more about them come next year. Should two of three players shows up next year, you can say that we really hit the nail on both draft and UDFA. I mean, we are playoff team and upgrading left and right with both draft and UDFA is just unheard of. Rick and his scouting team are doing unbelievable job. I am sure glad we don't have FO like Dallas haha. Forgot to mention about Bonner. He may do well next year as well. May have a chance put himself on #4 or #5 WR spot next year.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #202
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It was a slow, frustrating process to get to this point. McNair's unpopular decision after that hideous season in 2010 is being rewarded. Believe me, I know Kubiak's limitations on gameday are frustrating (knowing we had no prayer of beating New England before the game began was infuriating). What we have now, though, is an organization that is all on the same page. Rick Smith knows what kind of player to pursue for Kubiak and for Wade. Kubiak knows he can trust Smith and the personnel department to make good decisions. It is an efficient operation and one that McNair was determined to develop.

We are in the midst of a decade of winning. I can't say that we will win a Superbowl. I think it is likely, but... I am supremely confident that this organization, at worst, will be winning many more than it loses the next 7 or 8 years... We will be watching quality football for the foreseeable future. Good news!
Old 08-30-2013   #203
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It was a slow, frustrating process to get to this point. McNair's unpopular decision after that hideous season in 2010 is being rewarded. Believe me, I know Kubiak's limitations on gameday are frustrating (knowing we had no prayer of beating New England before the game began was infuriating). What we have now, though, is an organization that is all on the same page. Rick Smith knows what kind of player to pursue for Kubiak and for Wade. Kubiak knows he can trust Smith and the personnel department to make good decisions. It is an efficient operation and one that McNair was determined to develop.

We are in the midst of a decade of winning. I can't say that we will win a Superbowl. I think it is likely, but... I am supremely confident that this organization, at worst, will be winning many more than it loses the next 7 or 8 years... We will be watching quality football for the foreseeable future. Good news!
I agree with you. I hope we can do the same with coaches. Wade is not getting younger and need young DC candidate to groom under Wade's system. Perhaps, DB coach Joseph?
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #204
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Check that, I was wrong..... it's 4 UDFAs:

RB Cierre Wood
LB Willie Jefferson
LB Justin Tuggle
CB AJ Bouye

Four!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #205
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 57173 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Check that, I was wrong..... it's 4 UDFAs:

RB Cierre Wood
LB Willie Jefferson
LB Justin Tuggle
CB AJ Bouye

Four!
FIRE RICK SMITH!

Yes, I kid, I kid...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #206
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Pay the men minimal money Rick!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #207
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Scouting department also deserves some credit for signing these guys as well. Ultimately Rick and company are making the final decision, but these guys are on the road and identifying players that might work well in our system.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2013   #208
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe 3 udfa's making the roster speaks to the misses in the draft more than the udfa's actually being THAT good... kind of

Either way, the roster is solid throughout.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #209
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just asking, not saying this will happen, playing devils advocate.

What happens if Schaub/Foster/Reed/Newton etc... go down with injuries (Possible if you look at what CND has been saying) and the Texans go 8-8 or worse. How will the fan base feel about Rick/Gary and company now?

I do feel that Rick and the scouting dept have done a great job this yr. Unlike how I've felt in past yrs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #210
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

What happens if Schaub/Foster/Reed/Newton etc... go down with injuries (Possible if you look at what CND has been saying) and the Texans go 8-8 or worse. How will the fan base feel about Rick/Gary and company now?
I think we've got contingencies for every one of those situations. If those were to happen reasonably timed throughout the season, I think we'll be ok.

But if they were to happen one week after another starting week 10... I mean you can only "handle" so much so fast.
Old 08-31-2013   #211
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I do feel that Rick and the scouting dept have done a great job this yr. Unlike how I've felt in past yrs.
What happens if any team loses their starting QB, RB, Safety, and RT? I seriously don't think he would and should be crucified if this happened.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #212
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
What happens if any team loses their starting QB, RB, Safety, and RT? I seriously don't think he would and should be crucified if this happened.

Of course not. That's an "All bets are off" situation. GM did his job and well. Injury bug has no bearing on that.
Old 08-31-2013   #213
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Then we play Yates, Tate, Wood, Harris, Brayman, Jefferson, etc. Is any team out there going to fare better in this circumstance?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #214
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 57173 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Personally, no different than today. After all it's not Rick & Gary out there crushing their knee caps. How could you possibly blame them?

Just axin...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #215
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Personally, no different than today. After all it's not Rick & Gary out there crushing their knee caps. How could you possibly blame them?

Just axin...
I dont blame them,

I was just trying to point out how fickle a fan base can be.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #216
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

All these UDFA moves are just so that they can have some money to account for the guys on IR.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #217
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114151 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You need to supply a timeline to go with those losses to make an assessment.

If they all happen in September and we still manage to finish 8-8 because we have good-to-decent quality subs, thats not the end of the world. I'd be inclined to count that as a good job by Smithiak.

If they all happen in December, that means we were possibly 8-4 and very much in the playoff hunt but then folded (i.e., went oh fer Dec.) because the subs weren't good enough.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #218
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

There are three things you can count on with injuries (1) they will happen to every team (2) some players are just more susceptible to injuries (3) you can't predict or count on them with the exception of rule (2).

Tate is on my list of "more susceptible", so hopefully we'll stash away a good RB on the practice squad since Wood made the 53. Sharpton also makes my (2) list.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #219
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Remember when everyone (especially here) was calling for Rex to take over from Kubiak? Yeah, no one seems to be owning up to that gem of an idea anymore.
Old 09-01-2013   #220
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If they go 8-8 in that situation, I will be ticked that they didn't "suck for whoever" and hopefully get a great QB.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read