Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-07-2013   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who would you trade up for?

For me there are only a few players that I would trade up for. I'm keeping my eye on NO's pick at 15. They don't have a second round pick and they are switching to a 3/4 this year. They need more picks to get that defense in order.

If any of these guys were available at 15 I would not hesitate to trade up. To move from 27 to 15 would take 27 and our second rounder at least. Still I beleive any of these guys are worth the cost.

Jarvis Jones LB Georgia (if we lose Barwin)
Dion Jordan DE Oregon (if we lose Barwin)
Star Lotulelei DT Utah (if medical checks out)
Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri

If any of these guys were available I would seriously consider trading up.

Chance Warmack OG Alabama
Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina

Of course there are a lot of holes I would like to see filled but I really beleive these guys could make an immediate impact. Jones and Jordan are obviously contingent on us losing Barwin. Drafting either of those would allow us to move Reed inside.

I know most would prefer a trade back for more picks. I'm leaning that way too. However, why not discuss all possibilities? So who could fall that you would trade up for? Where are you drawing the line to get them (cost)?
Old 03-07-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would you trade up for?

While I'd like to get one of Cooper/Johnson, I think from #5 to #25 rated players is a pretty flatlined talent gap -- so I don't think it pays to trade up.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
While I'd like to get one of Cooper/Johnson, I think from #5 to #25 rated players is a pretty flatlined talent gap -- so I don't think it pays to trade up.
Ok so we pick 27. That's two spots past where you believe the talent droppoff is. So even if the talent level below that is flatlined, it's still better than where we are picking and consider that a player that really fits a need is available and the talent at his position really falls off after him. You can't even discuss trading up?
Old 03-07-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Ok so we pick 27. That's two spots past where you believe the talent droppoff is. So even if the talent level below that is flatlined, it's still better than where we are picking and consider that a player that really fits a need is available and the talent at his position really falls off after him. You can't even discuss trading up?
My pencil is a lot thicker than that.
Old 03-07-2013   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My pencil is a lot thicker than that.
I don't know what that means.
Old 03-07-2013   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For me there are only a few players that I would trade up for. I'm keeping my eye on NO's pick at 15. They don't have a second round pick and they are switching to a 3/4 this year. They need more picks to get that defense in order.

If any of these guys were available at 15 I would not hesitate to trade up. To move from 27 to 15 would take 27 and our second rounder at least. Still I beleive any of these guys are worth the cost.

Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma

Of course there are a lot of holes I would like to see filled but I really beleive these guys could make an immediate impact. Jones and Jordan are obviously contingent on us losing Barwin. Drafting either of those would allow us to move Reed inside.

I know most would prefer a trade back for more picks. I'm leaning that way too. However, why not discuss all possibilities? So who could fall that you would trade up for? Where are you drawing the line to get them (cost)?
Great list

Jordan or Jones, but they would have to fall to the 14-17 range and that is doubtful.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Great list

Jordan or Jones, but they would have to fall to the 14-17 range and that is doubtful.
I totally agree it's unlikely they fall that far but if they did would you trade up for them?
Old 03-07-2013   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I totally agree it's unlikely they fall that far but if they did would you trade up for them?
In a heartbeat, both of these guys have amazing 1st steps. Although the defense has many holes, an elite pass rusher to go with Watt would improve the defense more than any other position that needs to be filled. Jones/Jordan have the ability to be elite players. IMHO

Remember I'm an it's time to fix the offense guy. But these guys have the kind of ability that would make me change my way of thinking.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Sorry, my post was obtuse.

I don't think there's a dropoff right after 25 -- could be 30, etc.
Old 03-07-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

I don't think there's a dropoff right after 25 -- could be 30, etc. So I don't feel it's worth it for what I expect would be a high price.
Old 03-07-2013   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I don't think there's a dropoff right after 25 -- could be 30, etc. So I don't feel it's worth it for what I expect would be a high price.
Gotcha!
Old 03-07-2013   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see anybody worth trading up for in this draft. IMHO, the positions we need the most are WR, OG, ILB, OLB, in that order. While I see any great WR, like AJ, I think there's penty of depth a the position. Based on the Senior Bowl and the little bit of the college regular season I like the WR:

Texas WR Marquise Goodwin (tons of potential with his speed)
Oregon State WR Markus Wheaton (tough dude, really fights for the ball)
Marshall WR Aaron Dobson (easily the most polished WR there)

At Guard I like these guys:
Cal C Brian Schwenke
San Jose State OT David Quessenberry (My peronal favorite)
Illinois OG Hugh Thornton

If he's there, I'd love to see us take this guy:
UCLA DE Datone Jones (super fast with great moves)
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #13
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma

I would trade only trade up to 15 for Star,Johnson, Jordan, or Jones.

My favorite trade up would be to get in the early 20's for Keenan Allen, he is the best wide receiver in this draft and would be a great pickup for us. I hope he falls, but if he is healthy for his pro day, he should run in the 4.45 range and probably wont.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #14
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i would only trade up for either, lane johnson or sheldon richardson.
both players will be massive difference makers for our team in the short and long term
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trading up really all depends on how high you have to trade up and the cost of that trade, it can get expensive. Depending on his health issues, if several doctors sign off on him I'd consider trading up for Star Lotuleile, also Sheldon Richardson, and possibly Dion Jordan. Cordarelle Patterson would be a consideration as well depending on how high to trade and the cost. If Demarcus Milliner fell for some reason I'd consider trading up, a high quality CB is never a bad pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Really need to see how FA plays out before I'd be able to answer that question. There are several guy's I like in each round that you might have to maneuver up for.

Some guy's in the 2nd thru 4th rounds I might take a round early or move up for at some point like Tarron Armstead , I had him as a 3rd rounder but might take him with the second rounder (may as well be a high 3rd that late). With Newton having surgery .... you have to look at OT.
I have AJ Klein as a 4th but might take him with the 3rd round comp pick just to solidify the ILB spot ....

That also depends on who else is available .... This draft could go any number of ways.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #17
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Geno smith. If somehow he started to tumble out the top 10,I would jump to get him. I think he's a franchise qb and he doesn't have to play this year. Next yr trade schaub and you have your 10 yr starter at qb.
Old 03-08-2013   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Geno smith. If somehow he started to tumble out the top 10,I would jump to get him. I think he's a franchise qb and he doesn't have to play this year. Next yr trade schaub and you have your 10 yr starter at qb.
knowing that 33% of his passes were completed behind the los doesn't make you go hmmmmm?

Trading up is when you are getting what you perceive as a sure bet. Trading away picks on a gamble is foolish. Smith would not be taken in the first round last year I'd bet. This doesn't strike me as the kind of draft class one would want to trade up in unless desperate.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would feel more comfortable waiting until FA dust settles out & see what dire need Texans may have, which is why most NFL teams consider trading up in first place. Then they save up nickels (picks) to spend draft day.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Too expensive to move up more than maybe two spots. Texans have held breath & waited for player to drop to them rather than moving up. Too many good players in secon or third. I think trades can leave us with three seconds, a third, and a quality fourth.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read