Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2013   #81
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Matt Schaub Compendium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Ours yielded a second STRAIGHT FORTY Burger!

...but it's all Schaub's fault.
That tends to happen when your offense lays a goose egg for the entire third quarter of playoff game.

It wasn't bad at halftime with a 17-13 score. But one team made adjustments and came out ready to play and put 14 on the board. The other team punted and threw a pick, which led to the other team's 14 points.

It's obviously not all Schaub's fault, but when the QB touches the ball every single offensive snap, he does bear the burden of a bit more blame than many other players. Such is the nature of being a QB.
Old 03-11-2013   #82
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13262 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing that REALLY stood out to me was teams that surpassed us in the playoffs were not settling for Field Goals. That's on the Kubiak as well, though. I will give Schaub the Casey drop, but the Bengals INT inside the 20 and the INT straight to the Mikovich on NE are as bad as interceptions can get in the post season. The almighty important 3rd down when Schaub scrambled wide the F open just to throw it away. The drop he had where it had looked like divine intervention or a ghost swiped it out of his hand. I don't know how you guys feel about the QBR system, but his rating was below 75 (some sub 50) in all prime time games of them except for 2nd NE game. I'm not quite sure on that one but we didn't score in the entire 3rd quarter I believe. The unbelievably caught Posey TD was when the game was already decided.

2013: Year of the Schaub. Could he be the most pressured QB going into this season? He certainly has a good chance of becoming that.. I really have no emotion going into this season to tell the truth. I'll watch and root, but I wont get my hopes up. Gary and Matt have been with each other long enough for me to come to this realization. Of course, that's my opinion. We may win a majority of our regular season games, but your QB has to make plays on the fly when playoffs come. 2009 Schaub would have a good chance of tearing it up, but I think this injury and a sprinkle of age did him in. Add in Kubiak's conservative approach and it's a recipe for another unfulfilled season.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #83
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Agreed. It didn't get to that point of offering a contract but had it, no question the Texans would have found a way to finalize a deal.
How? Where who would have been cut (besides Schaub, of course) to makeup the difference in the cap hit between Manning ($18 million) and Schaub (7.15 million in salary cut, minus the $2.5 million in dead money from bonus). That's over $13 million that would have needed to be cleared from the cap. Even with AJ, JoJo, and Antonio redoing their deals (which they did), that would not have been close to enough. Saying the Texans "would have found a way" isn't realistic.
Old 03-11-2013   #84
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Man really wish we could have waited till the offseason to extend Matt Schaub.

We definitely overpaid.
We're fooling ourselves if we think we'd have resigned Schaub for less money after 2012 than resigning him when we did. You're delusional if you think we wouldn't resign him after the season he had.

He played all 16 games, which is huge for Schaub. He threw for 4000 yards, and made the Pro Bowl (I know it doesn't mean much to us fans, but it means enough that many players have accelerators built into their contracts tied to the Pro Bowl), we won 12 games, we won our division, we won a play off game....

According to some of you, it's time for the Bengals to draft a new QB.
Old 03-11-2013   #85
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

His foot was not 100%

Question is will it ever be 100%?
Old 03-11-2013   #86
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We're fooling ourselves if we think we'd have resigned Schaub for less money after 2012 than resigning him when we did. You're delusional if you think we wouldn't resign him after the season he had.
No one is delusional. We differ in opinions. I differ in my opinion on Schaub's contract (and timing) wildly from yours. That doesn't make me delusional.

I can't see another NFL team approaching what the Texans paid Matt Schaub. Not even close. At 31 (and looking much older), Schaub would be considered no more than a stop gap around the league. No way would he get a 4 year deal. Or $20+ million guaranteed. The Texans could have (and likely would have) gotten Schaub for much less and for fewer years.
Old 03-11-2013   #87
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Silvrhand, I don't think the Texans even need to kick the tires.
By my estimate, the Texans would need between $6-8M extra to acquire Peyton.
There's no way to make things work.

Pay-Me would never leave even half that amount on the table.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...o-tour-journal

I don't think Peyton is about "Pay Me" dude is total class.. Not sure how you can hate on this guy.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2013   #88
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13262 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

He played all 16 games, which is huge for Schaub. He threw for 4000 yards, and made the Pro Bowl (I know it doesn't mean much to us fans, but it means enough that many players have accelerators built into their contracts tied to the Pro Bowl), we won 12 games, we won our division, we won a play off game....

According to some of you, it's time for the Bengals to draft a new QB.
Big difference. Dalton has been in league for only 2 years. He's led his team to the playoffs each year in a tough division and also made the pro bowl. 6 years younger than Schaub.

Meanwhile, Matt has been a starter with us since 2007 while being in the league since 2004. He had a great year in 2009. He was looking good in '11 but can't have the credit if you can't stay on the field. He may have won a playoff but it certainly wasn't because of him.

Bottom line, It's not impressive at all what Gary and Matt have accomplished while being together since 2007.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...o-tour-journal

I don't think Peyton is about "Pay Me" dude is total class.. Not sure how you can hate on this guy.
You know I don't hate anybody, come on.

The fact remains that he always got paid a ton of money.
When did he ever leave millions of dollars on the table?

On the Broncos board, there was even a thread titled "Pay-TON Manning: He is who I thought he was."

They were talking about a QB who failed to deliver too many times in the play-offs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #90
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No one is delusional. We differ in opinions. I differ in my opinion on Schaub's contract (and timing) wildly from yours. That doesn't make me delusional.

I can't see another NFL team approaching what the Texans paid Matt Schaub. Not even close. At 31 (and looking much older), Schaub would be considered no more than a stop gap around the league. No way would he get a 4 year deal. Or $20+ million guaranteed. The Texans could have (and likely would have) gotten Schaub for much less and for fewer years.
Agreed

The less yrs thingy is a big deal for me.

Rick/Gary/BoB are now tied to Schaub for 3 yrs atleast. It's time to get Schaub's successor either this yr or next, so the rookie QB will be ready to roll by 2015-2016.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #91
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

The less yrs thingy is a big deal for me.

Rick/Gary/BoB are now tied to Schaub for 3 yrs atleast. It's time to get Schaub's successor either this yr or next, so the rookie QB will be ready to roll by 2015-2016.
I think the Texans should have played a little more hard ball with Schaub's agent and include more incentives in the contract; heck, AJ had that in his!
Old 03-12-2013   #92
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
All the spreadsheets in the world don't matter when the eyeball test tells you something isn't right.

That's a great line, man. The thing about statistics is that they can often be presented in a way to support any given perspective.

But my own gut feeling of Schaub is a direct result of watching him in action for big games and high pressure situations this past season. There is nothing in his demeanor or performances that leads me to believe that he can carry this team on his back like most SB-winning QBs have done.

Even guys like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco, who are not elite QBs, played above and beyond their regular season selves to elevate their play which propelled their teams to victory in the post-season. Matt's one playoff year did not inspire anything close to that, and at 32 years old and declining physical health, there is nothing to indicate that he will be that kind of QB.

I saw too much of Warren Moon's spectacular regular seasons and abysmal playoff chokes to get worked up about a bunch of regular season stats. It certainly makes for a fun season to get to the playoffs, but it takes more than hope and butterfly kisses to win it all.

People keep bringing up Trent Dilfer like it's something to keep our hopes alive. But that happened 13 years ago, and let's not forget the most important aspect of his story: one of the greatest defenses in NFL history.
Old 03-12-2013   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That's a great line, man. The thing about statistics is that they can often be presented in a way to support any given perspective.

But my own gut feeling of Schaub is a direct result of watching him in action for big games and high pressure situations this past season. There is nothing in his demeanor or performances that leads me to believe that he can carry this team on his back like most SB-winning QBs have done.

Even guys like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco, who are not elite QBs, played above and beyond their regular season selves to elevate their play which propelled their teams to victory in the post-season. Matt's one playoff year did not inspire anything close to that, and at 32 years old and declining physical health, there is nothing to indicate that he will be that kind of QB.

I saw too much of Warren Moon's spectacular regular seasons and abysmal playoff chokes to get worked up about a bunch of regular season stats. It certainly makes for a fun season to get to the playoffs, but it takes more than hope and butterfly kisses to win it all.

People keep bringing up Trent Dilfer like it's something to keep our hopes alive. But that happened 13 years ago, and let's not forget the most important aspect of his story: one of the greatest defenses in NFL history.
I dunno DB.

Performances by Manning in the play-offs never instilled great confidence in his fans. Even Brady's are spotty in the last half of this decade.

Eli was rather "lucky" because his defense gave him enough opportunities.
The same thing can be said about Flacco, he who also benefited from a lapse from the opponents' defense.

There's a difference between Moon and Schaub though.
Moon was paid to be "the man"; Schaub is being paid to be "one of the core players".

I'm nowhere near satisfied with Schaub's play.
I wish Keenum is an inch and 10-lbs of muscle more.
Old 03-12-2013   #94
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dec 30, 2012, did you think Matt Schaub was a better or worse QB than Joe Flacco?

I'm not a Matt Schaub fan (I've been having to say that a lot lately), but I believe I have been honest about what he can & cannot do. Dec 30, 2012 there was no doubt in my mind that he was a better QB than either Joe Flacco & Matt Ryan. Both only 3 years younger than Schaub (it's the hairline).

If Ryan & Flacco can have the success they had this year after years of failure, I have no reason to believe Schaub can not. Ryan & Flacco made timely throws, but his receivers (WRs, TEs, RBs, FBs) had excellent games as well.

I think it would be interesting to compare our offensive first round picks with the teams that made it past the div round.
Old 03-12-2013   #95
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I wish Keenum is an inch and 10-lbs of muscle more.
Keenum (6'/209) could very well end up our Russel Wilson (5'11"/206).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #96
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Keenum (6'/209) could very well end up our Russel Wilson (5'11"/206).
The thing is Wilson is way more atheletic than Keenum.

He's almost as smart as Keenum and so when you combine both facets together, he can adapt to the next level better.

Why I said I want the Texans to take both of them, so one can be the insurance policy for another.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read