Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2013   #21
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: ProFootballFocus FA safety ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The safety position is the NFL is largely "Just Guys" with a few standouts.
I think this is my difficulty with figuring out where Quin ranks. There are some guys that I would definitely put ahead of him, but then there is this mass of players that are all kind of middle tier average to slightly above average kind of guys. So I could conceivably understand an argument that put Quin at the 5th best safety, even if he was tied with a dozen guys LOL.

I'm not saying that he's a top 5. As I said in another thread, I don't really know where to rank him. I see four or five guys I'd rank ahead of him, but then I see a bunch of guys I rank him even with. Safety play isn't something I watch a lot of on other teams though, so there you go.
Old 03-06-2013   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end of the day, I think the 20/80 rule still applies; as somebody had mentioned before.

The Texans currently have 14 guys earning close to $3M average a year (including Watt whose contract was close to $12M over 4 years) or more - with Watt at the bottom of that list.

Unless they cut/trade one of them (W. Smith, A. smith, Walter), they will have problem offering Quin and/or Barwin much.

But if they cut one of those guys, they still need to find replacement just the same. It's just a matter whom they think belong to the core player group; and then they will just have to fill the rest of the roster with whomever they can get.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

And then there are guys they will have to take care of next year, and the year after next.

I don't know; maybe we'll just have to get use to losing a player here and there.
Old 03-06-2013   #24
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think this is my difficulty with figuring out where Quin ranks. There are some guys that I would definitely put ahead of him, but then there is this mass of players that are all kind of middle tier average to slightly above average kind of guys. So I could conceivably understand an argument that put Quin at the 5th best safety, even if he was tied with a dozen guys LOL.

I'm not saying that he's a top 5. As I said in another thread, I don't really know where to rank him. I see four or five guys I'd rank ahead of him, but then I see a bunch of guys I rank him even with. Safety play isn't something I watch a lot of on other teams though, so there you go.
Are you speaking of the safety position in general, or just among free agents? Because if we are talking across the league, I can think of plenty of guys I would rather have than Quin. Now if you want to get more deep and say specifically SS types that can cover and play up in the box on run situations, then we might get him closer to top 5 territory, but even then I think it's a stretch to get him that high.
Old 03-06-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Are you speaking of the safety position in general, or just among free agents? Because if we are talking across the league, I can think of plenty of guys I would rather have than Quin. Now if you want to get more deep and say specifically SS types that can cover and play up in the box on run situations, then we might get him closer to top 5 territory, but even then I think it's a stretch to get him that high.
Quin is in the top five in giving up TDs, does that count?
Old 03-06-2013   #26
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 42920 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some of you are over rating Quin, he is a non play making safety who fits our team but has little value to anyone else. He will be retained for 3 m a season and this will mean we cut walter.

as for barwin, who knows, im ok with losing him, but we would need a replacement.
Old 03-06-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I think some of you are over rating Quin, he is a non play making safety who fits our team but has little value to anyone else. He will be retained for 3 m a season and this will mean we cut walter.

I won't lie. I'm a fan.

He gets his hands on more balls () than anyone on the team save Jj Watt & Kareem. I like to think it's because his coverage is that tight, that he can actually challenge a ball in the air, or knock it out of the receivers hands.

I like that he'll take on an offensive lineman that outweighs him by a hundred pounds & clog a hole if he doesn't beat the guy. I like that his tackles in run support are at the LOS, or pretty close.

I think he's a hardnosed, blue collar type.... Brieselish if you will.

So yeah, I'm a little biased, maybe full homer.

But I still don't want to overpay (> $5M/yr)
Old 03-06-2013   #28
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm talking about safeties that can play the style of safety that Wade Phillips wants. And I don't mean to give the impression that I consider Quin a top 5 safety, but rather that there is a giant middle tier of guys that are all roughly equivalent that you might like in a different order from me. I just don't think there are that many great safeties right now. Part of that is just the evolution of the game.
Old 03-06-2013   #29
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I won't lie. I'm a fan.

He gets his hands on more balls () than anyone on the team save Jj Watt & Kareem. I like to think it's because his coverage is that tight, that he can actually challenge a ball in the air, or knock it out of the receivers hands.

I like that he'll take on an offensive lineman that outweighs him by a hundred pounds & clog a hole if he doesn't beat the guy. I like that his tackles in run support are at the LOS, or pretty close.

I think he's a hardnosed, blue collar type.... Brieselish if you will.

So yeah, I'm a little biased, maybe full homer.

But I still don't want to overpay (> $5M/yr)
I am very much w/ you on this one. I'm a fan of Quin because he is solid & for the most part very dependable on the backend. He's young & still has room to develop as a safety considering he has only played the position 2 years & faired pretty well in that short amount of time. I unfortunately believe that once again we Texan fans are shortchanging one of our better players & foolishly over criticizing him to convince ourselves that he won't be much of a lose if he is not to return. That was a foolish mistake made in the past w/ players such as Dunta, DeMeco, Winston, Briesel, & Dreesen. I read over & over about how those players being lost wouldn't be much of an impact on the Texans & that was completely false. This seems like a replay of all those from the past & in the end we regretted the lose of them...I think this story may play out in the same fashion. I am a fan of Quin's because he does have some talent & room to grow & I believe there are other teams who will believe the same as the Texans will be left with yet another hole that will surely be filled by a lesser player for at least a year or 2.

I've never been much of the "bash the ex-Texan just because Rick won't pay them" type of guy & it doesn't look like it will change any time soon. Once again, the fact that we still have Walter on this team & potentially could lose Quin...in all honesty...disgusts me.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read