Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My 3 round mock...

Wolf6151

All Pro
This is based on keeping Barwin and Quin.

1. Justin Hunter-WR, I know he's skinny and I don't think he runs the full route tree, but I also think that an NFL level strength and conditioning program will add some bulk to him and if there's any of the route tree that he doesn't know he can learn all summer. I'm hoping AJ would take him under his wing and teach him how to be a pro. He's got great measurables, speed, and great athleticism that I'm willing to take a risk on his minor teachable deficiencies. Sometimes you've got to take some risk and swing for the fences. Hunter could be a homerun in a couple years.

2. Brandon Williams-NT, another somewhat risky pick due to the level of competition that he's faced and although it might take a year for him to finally become the NT we want, he's worth the risk in the short term since he'll be rotating at NT with Mitchell. Also everything I've read about this guys motivation/motor is positive. He'll be our new Shaun Cody on run downs, where I think he's actually better than Cody, and then Mitchell will come in on passing downs.

3. Kiko Alonso-ILB, great height/weight combo for the position and very good speed as well. A sideline to sideline ILB to play next to Cushing with good athleticism for pass coverage. Even if we move Reed to ILB, Alonso offers enough size, speed, and athleticism to be quality depth at both ILB and OLB. This may also free us from having to draft another OLB for depth.

3b. Alvin Bailey-OG, great size and long arms for the position and great speed for such a big man. High quality depth at OG behind Wade Smith and his eventual replacement in 2014.

The rest of the way, I'd like to find a tall FS or CB to convert to Safety that can cover the new era tall athletic TE's that kill us over the middle, a Punter, a TE, and a bunch of BPA.

The rest of the way, I'd like to find a tall FS or CB to convert to Safety that can cover the new era tall athletic TE's that kill us over the middle, a Punter, a TE, and a bunch of BPA.

Curious why a punter when Donnie Jones had a solid season and can be had for ..... the vet minimum.

Seen several others mention a punter as well.

Rest of it looks solid.

I see Kiko Alonso on a lot of the mock drafts in this forum. Even though I'm pretty sure most here know the Texans stance on bringing in players with baggage. Are they going to look for a ILB like Alonso, with a good size/speed ratio? Sure. But, it's not going to be Alonso.

From the internet rankings I've seen (which are just that, internet rankings), Hunter and Williams are rated about a round lower than you've taken them. Which actually makes this mock more realistic, rather than seeing 2nd day players going in the late rounds as we see in some mocks.

Without knowing what happens in free agency, the Texans look to be picking up a WR, NT, and ILB. Not sure why they would go guard so early, unless they were unhappy with the two they took last year. A tackle would be more likely.

I see Kiko Alonso on a lot of the mock drafts in this forum. Even though I'm pretty sure most here know the Texans stance on bringing in players with baggage. Are they going to look for a ILB like Alonso, with a good size/speed ratio? Sure. But, it's not going to be Alonso.

From the internet rankings I've seen (which are just that, internet rankings), Hunter and Williams are rated about a round lower than you've taken them. Which actually makes this mock more realistic, rather than seeing 2nd day players going in the late rounds as we see in some mocks.

Without knowing what happens in free agency, the Texans look to be picking up a WR, NT, and ILB. Not sure why they would go guard so early, unless they were unhappy with the two they took last year. A tackle would be more likely.

You are overstating Alanso's baggage. He's proved he is past that as much as one can. Remember Posey? I agree with you about OT instead of OG.

You are overstating Alanso's baggage. He's proved he is past that as much as one can. Remember Posey?
Posey didn't have alcohol/DUI issues that Alonso has/had. Posey sold some jerseys to get a tattoo and was paid too much (supposedly) for an offseason job. How can you possibly compare the two? I hope you're right, and Alonso has conquered his demons. But you know the Texans aren't the team to risk that chance.

Last edited:

Might make Wade Smith expendable as a cap casualty .... Tho I doubt they would go that route and leave the G positions to a couple second year players who were below average last season (Brooks did come on late).

Might make Wade Smith expendable as a cap casualty .... Tho I doubt they would go that route and leave the G positions to a couple second year players who were below average last season (Brooks did come on late).
It's impossible to say what the team has to have at this juncture. Mocking before free agency/roster cuts occur is really an exercise in futility. Not that the draft is (or should be) determined solely by roster holes. But, it has an effect. We'll know a lot more in 3 weeks than we do now.

1. Justin Hunter-WR, I know he's skinny and I don't think he runs the full route tree, but I also think that an NFL level strength and conditioning program will add some bulk to him and if there's any of the route tree that he doesn't know he can learn all summer. I'm hoping AJ would take him under his wing and teach him how to be a pro. He's got great measurables, speed, and great athleticism that I'm willing to take a risk on his minor teachable deficiencies. Sometimes you've got to take some risk and swing for the fences. Hunter could be a homerun in a couple years.

2. Brandon Williams-NT, another somewhat risky pick due to the level of competition that he's faced and although it might take a year for him to finally become the NT we want, he's worth the risk in the short term since he'll be rotating at NT with Mitchell. Also everything I've read about this guys motivation/motor is positive. He'll be our new Shaun Cody on run downs, where I think he's actually better than Cody, and then Mitchell will come in on passing downs.

3. Kiko Alonso-ILB, great height/weight combo for the position and very good speed as well. A sideline to sideline ILB to play next to Cushing with good athleticism for pass coverage. Even if we move Reed to ILB, Alonso offers enough size, speed, and athleticism to be quality depth at both ILB and OLB. This may also free us from having to draft another OLB for depth.

3b. Alvin Bailey-OG, great size and long arms for the position and great speed for such a big man. High quality depth at OG behind Wade Smith and his eventual replacement in 2014.

I guess I would be somewhat surprised if the Texans draft went like this, although I do agree with the first 3 positions picked. I do think they will try to go WR in in the 1st if Allen or Hopkins are there. I just don't think they would go for Hunter for the reason you stated above; "could be a homerun in a couple years." I think they want someone who will play and produce now and not wait for them to gain weight and learn the route tree. Allen or Hopkins are much more NFL ready.

Brandon Williams I have no problem with. He has a "good motor" and we'll need a NT because I don't think Cody is coming back. Still not sure if Wade will pick the "big space eater" type NT but hope he will. And, I think the kid has a lot of upside (high ceiling).

Alonso. Man I really like this guy, BUT, I have to agree with Lucky, there's probably no way they take him, even though that stuff (DUI and B&E) happened about 2 years ago. Plus, he's had some injury problems too (ACL). He's probably going to be a pretty good OLB/ILB for some team, but it won't be the Texans. Personally, with this weak class of ILB's, I'm thinking (and hearing) more and more the Texans move Reed to ILB and then draft another OLB, even if Barwin stays.

As for the OG, I think they may take one but it could be later in the draft. You're right in thinking they need to get Wade's replacement soon. I think he'll be about 33 this season.

I guess I would be somewhat surprised if the Texans draft went like this, although I do agree with the first 3 positions picked. I do think they will try to go WR in in the 1st if Allen or Hopkins are there. I just don't think they would go for Hunter for the reason you stated above; "could be a homerun in a couple years." I think they want someone who will play and produce now and not wait for them to gain weight and learn the route tree. Allen or Hopkins are much more NFL ready.

In my mock Patterson and Allen have already been picked. I agree Hopkins is more pro ready and has a higher floor but Hunter is more athletic and has a higher ceiling. I'm swinging for the homerun here. I don't think it would take him that long to add another 15 lbs. and learn the route tree, he's got all summer, OTA's, private workouts, and training camp. I think by late August/early September he'd have the route tree down and will have added some of the necessary bulk to survive in the NFL. While his routes and productivity might be limited in the first season, like all rookies, by his second season he will have added more weight, completed his route tree, and have a years worth of experience, and his future is very bright. I think Hunter is worth the minimal risk.

As for OG vs. OT in the 3rd, I'd like a guy that can do both but am not thrilled with the 3rd round OT prospects and think there's a better chance of Bailey taken in the 3rd being a future starter than a 3rd round OT. Newton is the future at RT, get used to it. I'm looking for current depth and future starters in the 3rd.

I think Alonso's height/weight ratio, speed, and athleticism makes him some quality depth at both ILB and OLB. Having a guy that can do both offers more versatility and just makes sense.

Curious why a punter when Donnie Jones had a solid season and can be had for ..... the vet minimum.

Seen several others mention a punter as well.

Rest of it looks solid.

Jones was decent but not great last season. I'd like to solidify the position for the next 10+ yrs. instead of constantly looking for another vet. FA every year or 2 like we've been doing. I think the right rookie Punter could be younger, better, and cheaper than Jones. I'd pick one with one of our expected comp. 6th round picks. I like Quinn Sharp who was also a Kicker and we'd have that added security of a backup K already on the roster.

In my mock Patterson and Allen have already been picked. I agree Hopkins is more pro ready and has a higher floor but Hunter is more athletic and has a higher ceiling. I'm swinging for the homerun here. I don't think it would take him that long to add another 15 lbs. and learn the route tree, he's got all summer, OTA's, private workouts, and training camp. I think by late August/early September he'd have the route tree down and will have added some of the necessary bulk to survive in the NFL. While his routes and productivity might be limited in the first season, like all rookies, by his second season he will have added more weight, completed his route tree, and have a years worth of experience, and his future is very bright. I think Hunter is worth the minimal risk..

It can be very difficult for guys with a leaner frame like Hunter to add weight quickly and not have it effect his speed/explosiveness. For the record I'm not sure he needs the extra weight to be effective. Having a 6'4" WR that can get deep might be all we need to open up our offense

Jones was decent but not great last season. I'd like to solidify the position for the next 10+ yrs. instead of constantly looking for another vet. FA every year or 2 like we've been doing. I think the right rookie Punter could be younger, better, and cheaper than Jones. I'd pick one with one of our expected comp. 6th round picks. I like Quinn Sharp who was also a Kicker and we'd have that added security of a backup K already on the roster.

Fair enough explination.

You have a good point about getting one cheaper tho Im not sure how much cheaper since Jones played for the vet min ($800k) last season. You might be able to half that number ....

Fair enough explination.

You have a good point about getting one cheaper tho Im not sure how much cheaper since Jones played for the vet min ($800k) last season. You might be able to half that number ....

And with the veteran minimum exclusion that was included in the recent CBA, I believe his cap hit was actually $605,000 last season (including a $65,000 signing bonus)

And with the veteran minimum exclusion that was included in the recent CBA, I believe his cap hit was actually $605,000 last season (including a $65,000 signing bonus)

The vet minimum caphit goes up 15k each year, so this year it will be 555k + signing bonus. A late round pick might cost less, but the difference is negligible.

The vet minimum caphit goes up 15k each year, so this year it will be 555k + signing bonus. A late round pick might cost less, but the difference is negligible.

Thats what I was gtting at .... you might save ~200k over a draft choice picked in the mid rounds over a vet min player at most positions.

Texans fans would be lucky if the draft fell this way and Rick didn't overthink it and just picked these guys.

Great job

Back