Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2013 Texans Draft Analysis

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I think this is ok to post in this section

This is a decent write up on the Texans needs and draft possibilities. I'm not sure I agree with his stance on our RB situation, but you never know.

The write up covers a lot, so I only quoted a couple positions I'd like addressed in the first couple days.

1st - Keenan Allen, Cal (6-2, 206), DeAndre 'Nuk' Hopkins, Clemson (6-1, 214), Quinton Patton, La. Tech (6-0, 204), Terrance Williams, Baylor (6-2, 208)
2nd - Justin Hunter, Tennessee (6-4, 196), Robert Woods, USC (6-0, 201)
3rd - Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas (6-2, 212), Ryan Swope, Texas A&M (6-0, 205)
4th - Chris Harper, Kansas State (6-1, 229)
5th -
6th - Brandon Kaufman, Eastern Washington (6-5, 216)
7th -

I'd love to see them add a whippet quick Tavon Austin in the slot or a versatile Denard Robinson somewhere on the roster. But, that's not in The Plan. Each receiver on the board, for the most part, has size, can win at the line of scrimmage and can catch the football consistently.

Cal's Keenan Allen is hyped as the best receiver in this class, but it's not a complete slam dunk that he is in my opinion. Receivers have typically moved on down the board throughout the last few drafts and Allen may do just that. If he's available at #27, he's going to be difficult for the Texans to turn down, though.

Swope is the one many people will say doesn't fit the profile given his stereotypical comparison to Wes Welker, but let me tell you, he isn't Welker. He has great run after the catch abilities (he was a RB in high school) but he doesn't have to live in the slot but he's best served playing there.

1st - ILB Kevin Minter, LSU (6-1, 245)
2nd - ILB Arthur Brown, Kansas State (6-0, 241)
3rd - ILB Kiko Alonso, Oregon (6-3, 238), ILB/OLB Sio Moore, U Conn (6-1, 240), OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M (6-1, 229)
4th - ILB Jon Bostic, Florida (6-1, 245), ILB A.J Klein, Iowa State (6-1, 250), ILB Kevin Reddick, North Carolina (6-1, 243), ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama (6-2, 248)
5th - ILB Bruce Taylor, Virginia Tech (6-1, 237)
6th -
7th -

Minter is the guy I've targeted for the Texans for a while. He explodes through ball carriers, reads extremely well and even if he's only a two down player, he'd make an instant impact in Houston. That said, the more that Minter proves he could be a three down linebacker, the less the Texans have to play six defensive backs and the more disguised the defense can be.

But, considering how much trouble the Texans had matching up to the Patriots, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Texans react (or overreact) and look long at Brown, who could match up with RB and TE in the passing game perhaps better than anyone on the board. Brown is an explosive player who reminds me of former Miami Hurricane star Sean Spence. But, Brown didn't endear himself to any teams at the Combine for choosing not to workout after gaining 12 pounds in the off-season.

Consequently, Alonso is a stretch given his off the field problems. However, the Texans are at that point where it's time to take the next step, even if it means thinking outside the traditional Texans' box. The game is getting faster, not slower, and the Texans have to adjust.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/ultimate-houston-texans-post-combine-draft-board

Cyprien is borderline 1st rounder.

I don't think Arthur Brown will be there for us in 2nd, may be ahead of Minter.

Wondering if Fluker is overrated -- is he a hard worker?

Long's whole story puzzles me. He'll turn 25.

Menelik Watson is getting some 1st round love.

Winters did 9 reps on the bench -- needs to fix that.

Wait ! They left out Patterson?
He'll be gonzo.

I really like the way TSV builds these lists for us. :clap:

You know kubiak has to be creaming his pants over this guy. White, from A&M, fast and has good size. We will probably draft him in the first round.

There are plenty of guys that fit that profile, but where I felt he created separation on an every play basis, was that he was mentally, and most often physically, tougher than anyone defending him.

You know kubiak has to be creaming his pants over this guy. White, from A&M, fast and has good size. We will probably draft him in the first round.
Why would Kubiak care that Swope is white? And the Texans have drafted only one Aggie since Kubiak took over in 2006 (Bullock in 2012).

I wouldn't have a problem with them getting Swope in the 2nd either but I'm not sure he will be there that late. After that 4.34 forty at the Combine, he's climbing up the draft boards. What I like about him, besides his speed, is his toughness. Saw this article in the chron this morning about him: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/...azzles-NFL-scouts-with-4-34-speed-4319023.php Probably his biggest drawback or concern is his hand size (8 1/2"). It was one of the smallest at the Combine. Doesn't seem to have hurt him during his college playing days though. He didn't have a reputation for drops or fumbles.

I would not have a problem if we took Swope in the 2nd. I see him as a 80+ reception guy by year two.

It would depend on who they selected & passed on in the first.

If we were to have traded out of the first & managed 3 second round picks, I wouldn't mind that at all.

"Yeah, whats up with that?" signed Posey, Martin and Lestar Jean.

It would depend on who they selected & passed on in the first.

If we were to have traded out of the first & managed 3 second round picks, I wouldn't mind that at all.

I would love to see us trade out of the first, but I think our haul would be a 2 and a 4 (if the 2 is top 10) or a 2 and a 3 (if the 2 is mid round). There are so many good WRs in the draft, and I'm not sure there's a huge difference between the top 10 guys this year.

The intriguing this about Swope is his blocking ability (a big plus for our O) and his ability to run after the catch. Now maybe some of those throws that are a yard or 2 short of the first down marker will turn into actual first downs

I would love to see us trade out of the first, but I think our haul would be a 2 and a 4 (if the 2 is top 10) or a 2 and a 3 (if the 2 is mid round). There are so many good WRs in the draft, and I'm not sure there's a huge difference between the top 10 guys this year.

Right. We would most likely get a 2nd & a 4th. We would have to package that 4th with something else to acquire another 2nd. That would be three 2nd round picks if you include our original 2nd.

I don't think anyone is going to give us two 2nds for our 1st.

I wouldn't have a problem with them getting Swope in the 2nd either but I'm not sure he will be there that late. After that 4.34 forty at the Combine, he's climbing up the draft boards. What I like about him, besides his speed, is his toughness. Saw this article in the chron this morning about him: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/...azzles-NFL-scouts-with-4-34-speed-4319023.php Probably his biggest drawback or concern is his hand size (8 1/2"). It was one of the smallest at the Combine. Doesn't seem to have hurt him during his college playing days though. He didn't have a reputation for drops or fumbles.

Speaking of hand size .... Im a big dude , 6'3" 235 with catchers mitts for hands .... My 14 year old son is ~5'6' 100lbs soaking wet and his hands are bigger than mine .... and my shoes are too small for him.

But, considering how much trouble the Texans had matching up to the Patriots, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Texans react (or overreact) and look long at Brown, who could match up with RB and TE in the passing game perhaps better than anyone on the board. Brown is an explosive player who reminds me of former Miami Hurricane star Sean Spence. But, Brown didn't endear himself to any teams at the Combine for choosing not to workout after gaining 12 pounds in the off-season.http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/ultimate-houston-texans-post-combine-draft-board
The reason Brown did not participate in the combine is not because he has gained weight, but because he has a shoulder injury, the same injury which kept him from participating in the Senior Bowl. No information on the injury has been released other than an MRI has shown a "concerning injury". Teams which had their eye on Brown are worried and looking toward Kansas State's pro day for answers on his condition.

Right. We would most likely get a 2nd & a 4th. We would have to package that 4th with something else to acquire another 2nd. That would be three 2nd round picks if you include our original 2nd.

Got ya. I would literally backflip if we ended up with 3 second rounders

The Crazy thing is I said last year I would've drafted Swope in the 3rd round if he came out early. That's how high I was on him after his Junior year. I've seen people comment on how he doesn't play as fast as his time, but he made a lot o big plays with Tannehil at QB last year and ran away from people regularly. They used him a little different this year and it took him about 4 or 5 games to really get into a rhythm with Johnny. Kid is gonna be a player. I don't care what color he is.

New poster here. Chiming in with my thoughts on Swope.

The guy was a great WR at A&M. People think he'll be too slow, but the guy ran a 4.34 in the 40...it isn't Goodwin speed at 4.22, but Goodwin was never a very good receiver. He's deceptively fast, has good hands and can take hits and hold on to the ball. I saw him get nailed by a defensive back a few times and he never missed a game. Usually came right back in after catching his breath.

I think the Texans should seriously consider him with the second round pick, if he's still available. Local kid, Texan fan...Would definitely increase interest from nearby A&M fans in the team and it fills a hole on the team...why not?

As for the first round pick, I'm still sold on defense first. Have one or two must-have WR, but in the case they aren't on the board, get some LB, DT help. And stay away from Manti Te'o.

New poster here. Chiming in with my thoughts on Swope.

The guy was a great WR at A&M. People think he'll be too slow, but the guy ran a 4.34 in the 40...it isn't Goodwin speed at 4.22, but Goodwin was never a very good receiver. He's deceptively fast, has good hands and can take hits and hold on to the ball. I saw him get nailed by a defensive back a few times and he never missed a game. Usually came right back in after catching his breath.

I think the Texans should seriously consider him with the second round pick, if he's still available. Local kid, Texan fan...Would definitely increase interest from nearby A&M fans in the team and it fills a hole on the team...why not?

As for the first round pick, I'm still sold on defense first. Have one or two must-have WR, but in the case they aren't on the board, get some LB, DT help. And stay away from Manti Te'o.

That speed and toughness is what is going to make him a more productive NFL player than a lot of those taken before him in the Draft IMO. He will never be a #1 like AJ, but I think he will be a highly productive #2 or slot guy for a long time.

I'm also coming around to the idea of the Texans going with defense in the 1st. This will depend on what happens with Barwin and if all the WR's they are targeting in the 1st are gone. If Barwin leaves they may go OLB in the 1st with someone like Mingo, if he's still there; then go WR in the 2nd with Woods, Hunter, Patton, or Swope.

Local kid, Texan fan...Would definitely increase interest from nearby A&M fans in the team
That's not going to be a consideration for a draft decision. The criteria the Texans will use is, "Can this guy help us win?". Winning is what draws interest.

Most of the "analysts" seem to think that Patterson will be the first WR off of the Board based upon his tremendous upside and would be selected well before the Texans 27th pick, but I'm thinkin the Texans wouldn't be interested in him anyway since he's got limited game experience (just 1 year as a starter).
I'm also reading that DeAndre Hopkins is maybe the best WR in terms of his readiness to make a contribution right away as a rookie receiver in the NFL, but he's lacking in long-speed as he failed to crack 4.5 at Indy.
So this brings us to Swope who's stunning 4.34 now makes him a legitimate "burner', and he's got multi years experience as a starter and one year as a starter in the biggest college stage of all, the SEC. He's not real big, but he's got descent size and is known as being durable and physically tough. And I think he could play in the slot or outside as a true WR, so my only question about him and also Hopkins is what kind of blockers are they ? As you know that's important for Kubiak and the Texans in their offense.
So I thinking the Texans may just get about any receiver they want if they make that their top priority and use their 27th pick on one, but if they wait until the second round all bets are off even including Swope's availability.

Most of the "analysts" seem to think that Patterson will be the first WR off of the Board based upon his tremendous upside and would be selected well before the Texans 27th pick, but I'm thinkin the Texans wouldn't be interested in him anyway since he's got limited game experience (just 1 year as a starter).
I'm also reading that DeAndre Hopkins is maybe the best WR in terms of his readiness to make a contribution right away as a rookie receiver in the NFL, but he's lacking in long-speed as he failed to crack 4.5 at Indy.
So this brings us to Swope who's stunning 4.34 now makes him a legitimate "burner', and he's got multi years experience as a starter and one year as a starter in the biggest college stage of all, the SEC. He's not real big, but he's got descent size and is known as being durable and physically tough. And I think he could play in the slot or outside as a true WR, so my only question about him and also Hopkins is what kind of blockers are they ? As you know that's important for Kubiak and the Texans in their offense.
So I thinking the Texans may just get about any receiver they want if they make that their top priority and use their 27th pick on one, but if they wait until the second round all bets are off even including Swope's availability.

* Tavon Austin not in the game plan is failure #1.

* Texans need to address WR in free agency #2.

* Texans will not be required to use a 1st on ILB.

* Rick always says they choose highest ranked player on their board regardless.

* Texans will not be required to use a 1st on ILB.
And I don't think they'd use a second rounder either. Even if there's uncertainty about the status of the teams top ILB Cushings recovery, I seriously doubt they will use anything higher than a midround pick as just an insurance policy for Cushing when they have too many other positions where there is certainty
that they have a need to draft a player.

Do the Texans draft with moving Brooks Reed to ILB in mind? Or is that a bluff to muddy the water/generate uncertainty and possibly a trading partner???

Jamie Collins, Devin Taylor, Cornelius Washington look interesting to me.

We need an OT by round three. Newton needs real competition, unlike Butler, and there's no depth there.

I would be thrilled with an OT taken on the first day, but I think that would be more of a luxury than a need.

I think our top three positions of need are WR, OLB, S in that order. Our WRs are a mess & like we've been saying here for at least 2 years, if KDub is good enough to make the roster as a WR, our WR corps is not good enough.

ILB, chances are we won't experience the same amount of injuries to the position, we do need more talent there... but the OLBs were healthy & still failed to get pressure from the outside. It is imperative we get pressure with the front 4 & not rely on blitzing Cushing.

I'm worried about Manning. I don't know if his drop in performance was due to a different role, playing man more often because of the lack of quality ILB. I feel like he played center fielder more often in 2011 & I feel good about him playing in space. Personally I hope he plays well in 2013, increases his trade value so we can ship him off before the 2014 season. To facilitate that, I'd like to get his replacement in this draft.

Other areas of concern..... if we can find another Arian Foster, or an Alfred Morris in the draft it would help us a lot. Tate would have to have a good opening season, then hopefully we can trade him by the deadline. Tate's best contribution to the team, imo, was pushing Arian. He's not doing that from the bench & Forsett can't push Arian if Kubiak has no faith in him.

TE...... OD is great. We need someone better. Graham & Casey are expendable imo while we look for a better OD. I think KW would challenge OD as a TE.

OG...... if Brooks isn't the replacement for Wade, we need to find one. Wade making the pro bowl should help us trade him for something.

I would be thrilled with an OT taken on the first day, but I think that would be more of a luxury than a need.

I think our top three positions of need are WR, OLB, S in that order. Our WRs are a mess & like we've been saying here for at least 2 years, if KDub is good enough to make the roster as a WR, our WR corps is not good enough.

ILB, chances are we won't experience the same amount of injuries to the position, we do need more talent there... but the OLBs were healthy & still failed to get pressure from the outside. It is imperative we get pressure with the front 4 & not rely on blitzing Cushing.

I'm worried about Manning. I don't know if his drop in performance was due to a different role, playing man more often because of the lack of quality ILB. I feel like he played center fielder more often in 2011 & I feel good about him playing in space. Personally I hope he plays well in 2013, increases his trade value so we can ship him off before the 2014 season. To facilitate that, I'd like to get his replacement in this draft.

Other areas of concern..... if we can find another Arian Foster, or an Alfred Morris in the draft it would help us a lot. Tate would have to have a good opening season, then hopefully we can trade him by the deadline. Tate's best contribution to the team, imo, was pushing Arian. He's not doing that from the bench & Forsett can't push Arian if Kubiak has no faith in him.

TE...... OD is great. We need someone better. Graham & Casey are expendable imo while we look for a better OD. I think KW would challenge OD as a TE.

OG...... if Brooks isn't the replacement for Wade, we need to find one. Wade making the pro bowl should help us trade him for something.

i like your thinking, but i really believe a starter next to cushing frees up our front seven as a whole to make plays . . . looking at the quality of the position by the time we pick, ilb, wr, nt, s, rt would be my ranking . . . i could easily be swayed to go s, wr, ilb, nt, rt if the prefered ilb isn't there . . . ;)

You don't see DT as a need with Cody being injured and only average at best to begin with? Mitchell hasn't shown much either. Our ILB's are going to take a beating if we don't get someone there who can protect them.

You don't see DT as a need with Cody being injured and only average at best to begin with? Mitchell hasn't shown much either. Our ILB's are going to take a beating if we don't get someone there who can protect them.

Since we're seeing pretty much the same thing from Cody & Mitchell, I'm assuming Wade is getting exactly what he wants from the people I also don't think Cody will be bothered so much in 2013.

They are both good blockers from what I've read/heard. Here is what was said about Hopkins at NFL.com:

Effective run blocker, usually reaches his target and gets his hands up, uses correct blocking angle to sustain; also shows some nastiness at times, capable of putting his man to the ground. Consistently productive over his time at Clemson, improving his stats each season

This is what they said about Swope at NFL.com:

Gives excellent effort blocking downfield and near the line in the run game, using his strength and agility to mirror and sustain, showing aggressiveness when riding defenders well out of the play.

Hopkins has a good chance of being available to the Texans at #27, but a lot depends on if there is a run on WR's in the 1st. As for Swope, he's climbing up draft boards fast. Not sure where he'll end up when it's all said and done, but he could go in the mid to late 2nd round. A lot will probably depend on how some of the more highly rated WR's, like Allen, Woods, Patton, etc.. do at their Pro-Days. If they do well and improve their numbers they may be higher ranked by some teams and drop Swope back some.

I think this is ok to post in this section

This is a decent write up on the Texans needs and draft possibilities. I'm not sure I agree with his stance on our RB situation, but you never know.

The write up covers a lot, so I only quoted a couple positions I'd like addressed in the first couple days.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/ultimate-houston-texans-post-combine-draft-board

Well it seems Keenan Allen will be coming to town for a workout. Also states that Amerson from NC State will be coming in as well. Some predict he could play S or CB. Seems they could possibly be setting up something if Quin is lost. I'm hoping that's not the case as I really like Quin. To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised it's being reported that the Texans are bringing in players that could actually be of interest to them at need positions. They normally keep it top secret which is silly, IMO, because other teams have had successful drafts despite it being reported which players visited them. Oh well...to each their own.

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10647

That's not going to be a consideration for a draft decision. The criteria the Texans will use is, "Can this guy help us win?". Winning is what draws interest.

I agree 100%. I was just stating some bonuses if the Texans were to draft Swope. It's fun to see players from your alma mater make it to the pros, but when they play for your NFL team it's even better. I just think the kids got all the right tools, has a great attitude, blocks well (something the Texans need for Foster) and on top of it all loves the Texans.

I agree 100%. I was just stating some bonuses if the Texans were to draft Swope. It's fun to see players from your alma mater make it to the pros, but when they play for your NFL team it's even better. I just think the kids got all the right tools, has a great attitude, blocks well (something the Texans need for Foster) and on top of it all loves the Texans.

I'll be the 1st to admit that I underestimated Swope. Im not an aggie fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing this kid in Houston now that his combine has shown physical tools that he possesses. I was surprised to say the least. Unfortunately, I believe many others took note as well & unless the Texans reached for him in round 2 I can't see him making it to us in round 3 were it seems he should be drafted. If he does, I wouldn't be disappointed w/ him coming to Houston.

Im not sure if him being an aggie won't help. I know it shouldn't & we want to believe it won't & shouldnt, but I 100% believe Bullock was overdrafted last season. There were just as good if not better options that the Texans could've waited on such as Tucker, Walsh, & Zuerlien but the Texans felt the need to draft Bullock w/ a 5th rounder which was at least 1 round too early IMO. Maybe I'm wrong but there seemed to be a little bit biased aggie love going on w/ that selection, so there is hope for Swope. Lol!

I noticed Swope when I scouted Tannerhill; the guy just showed up.

He's a good candidate and deserves consideration from the Texans.

I noticed Swope when I scouted Tannerhill; the guy just showed up.

He's a good candidate and deserves consideration from the Texans.

How does he compare to the other players who will be there for our 2nd? Do you think he'll be around for our third?

How does he compare to the other players who will be there for our 2nd? Do you think he'll be around for our third?

I was hoping that he will last to our third, now I think he may last even later.

Mussop just reported in the draft section that he had had multiple concussion (per Mike Mayock.)

There was a guy named Chris Owusu from Stanford that went through the same thing (courtesy of Andrew Luck) and went undrafted, despite putting up great numbers at the combine:
4.36 forty
6.85 3-cone
40.5 vertical
10'9 broad jump
19 bench

From NFL.com:

Owusu has been a reliable receiver and return threat for Stanford throughout his career, who faced an unfortunate set of injuries in his senior season that could severely hurt his draft status going into 2012. With the current attention being given to concussions and the "return-to-play" protocols, teams will have a tough time justifying Owusu as he recovers from a concussion-laden senior season. Despite these red flags, Owusu is a mature player on the field who would be a reliable return option when healthy.

What if we traded our 1st to move back to the top 10 of the 2nd round and picked up a 4th.

We then trade that 4th with our 3rd to get a middle of the round 2nd.

That would give us 3 picks in the 2nd and we'll still have the 33rd pick in the 3rd round for Mario.

Have now through 4 rounds
95 (Compensatory pick and will probably be the only 3rd round pick given)

If we traded with let's say Arizona and then St. Louis we could have
95 (we can't trade this pick so we have to keep it)

We would have gotten 38 and 101 from Arizona and flipped them for 57 from St. Louis. We could even probably throw in a late round pick since we should have an extra 6 & 7 if we need to.

I'd love to see 3 top 50ish picks. We could grab a #2 WR, a DT, and a LB or a S if we need to replace Quin.

OFFENSE
QUARTERBACK
1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
5th - Landry Jones, Oklahoma (6-4, 220)
6th - Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah (6-3, 227)
7th - Alex Carder, Western Michigan (6-2, 220), Sean Renfree, Duke (6-4, 220)
RUNNING BACK
1st -
2nd -
3rd - Johnathan Franklin, UCLA (5-10, 205), LeVeon Bell, Michigan State (6-1, 230)
4th - Mike Gillislee, Florida (5-11, 208), Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina (5-11, 221)
5th - Kenjon Barner, Oregon (5-9, 196)
6th -
7th - Knile Davis, Arkansas (6-0, 227), Rex Burkhead, Nebraska (5-11, 210)
WIDE RECEIVER
1st - Keenan Allen, Cal (6-2, 206), DeAndre 'Nuk' Hopkins, Clemson (6-1, 214)
2nd - Quinton Patton, La. Tech (6-0, 204), Terrance Williams, Baylor (6-2, 208), Robert Woods, USC (6-0, 201), Justin Hunter, Tennessee (6-4, 196)
3rd - Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas (6-2, 212), Ryan Swope, Texas A&M (6-0, 205)
4th - Chris Harper, Kansas State (6-1, 229)
5th -
6th - Brandon Kaufman, Eastern Washington (6-5, 216)
7th -
TIGHT END
1st -
2nd -
3rd - Vance McDonald, Rice (6-4, 267)
4th - Gavin Escobar, San Diego State (6-5, 254)
5th - Matt Furstenburg, Maryland (6-3, 242)
6th -
7th - Michael Williams, Alabama (6-5, 269), Philip Lutzenkirchen (6-3. 258)
OFFENSIVE LINE
1st - RT Menelik Watson, Florida State (6-5, 310), RT Kyle Long, Oregon (6-6, 313)
2nd - T Terron Armstead, Arkansas Pine Bluff (6-5, 306)
3rd -
4th - T David Quessenberry, San Jose State (6-5, 302), G/T J.C Tretter, Cornell (6-4, 307)
5th - G Eric Herman, Ohio (6-4, 320)
6th - RT Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas (6-5, 298)
7th - G Braden Brown, BYU (6-5, 310), G Patrick Omameh, Michigan (6-4, 308)
DEFENSE
DEFENSIVE LINE
1st - NT Jesse Williams, Alabama (6-3, 323), DT/DE Datone Jones, UCLA (6-4, 283)
2nd - NT Kawann Short, Purdue (6-3, 299), DE Margus Hunt, SMU (6-8, 277), DT/DE Sylvester Williams, North Carolina (6-3, 313)
3rd - NT Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern (6-2, 341)
4th -
5th -
6th - NT T.J Barnes, Georgia Tech (6-6, 369)
7th - DT/DE Spencer Nealy, Texas A&M (6-5, 277), NT William Campbell, Michigan (6-5, 318)
LINEBACKERS
1st - OLB Damontre Moore, Texas A&M (6-5, 250), ILB Kevin Minter, LSU (6-0, 246), OLB/ILB Arthur Brown, Kansas State (6-1, 241)
2nd - ILB/OLB Sio Moore, U Conn (6-1, 240)
3rd - ILB Kiko Alonso, Oregon (6-3, 238), ILB Jon Bostic, Florida (6-1, 245), OLB Chase Thomas, Stanford (6-3, 244)
4th - ILB A.J Klein, Iowa State (6-1, 250), ILB Kevin Reddick, North Carolina (6-1, 243),
5th - ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama (6-2, 248)
6th - ILB Albert Rosette, Nevada (6-2, 231), ILB Steve Beauharnais, Rutgers (6-1, 240)
7th - ILB Marvin Burdette, UAB (5-9, 232), ILB Bruce Taylor, Virginia Tech (6-1, 237)
SECONDARY
1st - S Matt Elam, Florida (5-9, 209), S Jonathan Cyprien, FIU (6-0, 217)
2nd -
3rd - S Phillip Thomas, Fresno State (6-1, 208), S T.J McDonald, USC (6-3, 219)
4th - CB/S Tyrann Mathieu, LSU (5-9, 186), S J.J Wilcox, Georgia Southern (6-0, 213), S Duke Williams, Nevada (5-11, 203)
5th -
6th - CB Johnny Adams, Michigan State (5-10, 185)
7th - CB Terrence Brown, Stanford (6-0, 182), S Drew Frey, Cincinnati (6-2, 202), S Cody Davis, Texas Tech (6-2, 204)

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/updated-houston-texans-draft-board

I like Menelik Watson but I'd rather trade back into the high 2nd round and land an extra third for him. I think he'll be around that long.

That said, I hope teams go dumb and let Keenan Allen fall. Watch his tape and you'll know that 4.71 in the 40 is not indicative of his game speed. However, if he is not fit to start the season, no. I'd rather have DeAndre Hopkins, who I think will start on day 1.

I like Vance McDonald, but 3rd is a bit high to draft a TE, given OD and Graham already being on the roster. However, when Graham went down, our offense became even weaker. You can argue and convince me that given Schaub's proficiency in intermediate passing (relative to deep passing) it would be nice to have another target in the intermediate zone.

Knile Davis in the 7th? I'll laugh all the way to the bank with that pick. Great RB and makes Tate less of a necessity when it comes time to renegotiate his contract. Kenjon Barner would be nice as a speed back or in a Darren Sproles esque role in our team, add another wrinkle to our run game.

Sio Moore in the second would be fantastic. I'd be ecstatic if we got him.

I'm very high on Philip Thomas, S, SD State, in the 3rd. I think he's great to learn under Reed and will be a starter once Reed is gone.

Back