Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-01-2013   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Post Combine Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep,

This would be what I try to do as well. But it's doubtful Armstead will be there in the 3rd, Klien probably wont be there late in the 4th either.

But a draft of Rodgers/B.Williams/Armstead in the 2nd, Klien in the 3rd and a S like Duke Williams or Tony Jefferson in the 4th would be a great haul of impact players. This would be the greatest draft haul in Texans history. 5 potential future starters/playmakers.
I was going off my pre-combine rankings with those players .... Its highly likely some have moved up a round or two , especially with Amrstead. I think he'll be one of the steals of this draft.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I was going off my pre-combine rankings with those players .... Its highly likely some have moved up a round or two , especially with Amrstead. I think he'll be one of the steals of this draft.
I could see a guy like Armstead going to a team like the Bears at 20, even though that would be a reach. IMHO

No doubt Armstead has top tier ability.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard they're gonna work out Armstead at TE on his Pro Day.

Imagine if that guy can catch...
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #24
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I heard they're gonna work out Armstead at TE on his Pro Day.

Imagine if that guy can catch...
Definitely worth a look... even if it just gives you a wrinkle on short yardage/goal line situations.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please provide a link or something that shows Rodgers was a lazy route runner or a Moss type player. After Hunter got hurt in 2011 I didn't see anthing that suggested Rodgers is the type of WR you suggest. In fact he was a well above avg blocker.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ers?id=2540179

Quote:
Weaknesses
Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down.
Quote:
Cushing had never tested positive for steroids before the draft and Wade convinced the FO brass to take a chance on Braman. He was an UDFA so signing him carried very little risk.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...s&confirm=true

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nat...l-combine.html

You should read up on your steroid accusation history of Texans players sometime.

Quote:
If you cant see that the Texans are one of the most conservative orgs in the NFL
citation needed.

Quote:
then I dont know if we can continue to have an objective discussion, but the conservatism starts at the top with BoB/Cal/Rick/Gary. Not that ther's anything wrong with that, but the Texans will never win a SB with this mindset.
There is no unwritten rule that says you need to have a specific type of player on your team to win a SB other than "winner". Not drafting a guy because you are afraid he won't be on the field because of outside issues is perfectly justifiable, and not adhering to that in certain situations is the reason we laugh at the Titans for drafting Kenny Britt and Chris Johnson and Albert Haynesworth.

Quote:
Sometimes you've got to take chances with talented but troubled players, to date the Texans have been unwilling to do that.
citation needed

Quote:
The only risk they took was signing JJ and Manning to big FA contracts after the defense was historically bad in 2011 and those risks paid off to the tune of 2 playoff appearences. To get to the next level they're going to have to take a few chances on character guys and a guy like Rodgers would be a great place to start. IMHO
If there were less WR's who have about the same abilities as Rogers with less of a concern with maturity and character issues off the field that would make the situation different, but there are a lot of those guys. If they trade back and pick him, fantastic, if not I certainly hope that they use the pick on someone else, or trade back to get him as I believe I will be there in the second round (probably all the way down the middle of the second round) for teams to draft.
Old 03-01-2013   #26
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

You should read up on your steroid accusation history of Texans players sometime.

citation needed.

There is no unwritten rule that says you need to have a specific type of player on your team to win a SB other than "winner". Not drafting a guy because you are afraid he won't be on the field because of outside issues is perfectly justifiable, and not adhering to that in certain situations is the reason we laugh at the Titans for drafting Kenny Britt and Chris Johnson and Albert Haynesworth.

citation needed

If there were less WR's who have about the same abilities as Rogers with less of a concern with maturity and character issues off the field that would make the situation different, but there are a lot of those guys. If they trade back and pick him, fantastic, if not I certainly hope that they use the pick on someone else, or trade back to get him as I believe I will be there in the second round (probably all the way down the middle of the second round) for teams to draft.
You do realize there is a huge difference between being found guilty of something & being accused of something? Once again, Cushing has NEVER been found guilty of using steroids. Even with the links you provided nothing was proven. As you stated, they are accusations & they are unproven when it's all said & done.

As far as the Texans being conservative & choosing not to pick high risk players, you don't need a "citation" as proof because it's been a given for years & has been discussed by many, media & fans. It has also been proven by the way they select on draft day as well as how they select FA's. It's hardly a secret & just because they don't put in the paper or say in an interview doesn't mean it isn't true. Action speaks louder then words & the Texans FO have proven they slim to never bring in or select players w/ suspect character. Can't say I blame them, but I would hope that as this team improves & establishes more vet leadership that a young player could be brought in & that player would conform to the attitude of the team as opposed to the player being allowed to run wild similar to what the titans have dealt with & what they are currently dealing with. The Ravens seem to handle troubled players well & maybe one day the Texans handle their business in the same fashion.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

citation needed.

citation needed

I've watched a bunch of Vol games. It's the reason I want the Texans to take Bray in the 1st rd. I haven't seen alot of what the guy in that article talks about when it comes to Rodgers. Sure sometimes when a play is run away from him he will take it easy. All WR's do this, evem the beloved AJ. The reason I like Rodgers so much is he has way above avg hands and breaks alot of tackles so he gets alot of YAC. He would be a great fit in the Texans offense because he's a great blocker. I also like Swope as a fit for the Texans for this reason.

I agree trading down and picking Rodgers would be optimal. As for the Texans being conservative? Come On man, they are what they are.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Sure sometimes when a play is run away from him he will take it easy. All WR's do this, evem the beloved AJ.
I don't know about this. On a pass play, it's not like they're drawn up with one player in mind. Not like Matt tells them in the huddle, "Casey, this play is designed for you." Allowing the other receivers to take off.

In our system, Matt doesn't even know who the primary target will be until he sees the defense.

On run plays?? Yes I've seen receivers, even Aj not give 100%...... when we had David Carr I saw receivers "pull up" after 13-15 yards, but that's because David was most likely on his butt at the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read