Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2013   #41
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Combine 2013: Texans Gary Kubiak Transcript

Members of TexansTalk!!!

It's gonna be a long 6 months!
Old 02-24-2013   #42
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 199341 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Members of TexansTalk!!!

What's long and hard on Bill ?

The off season .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
In 2011, we were the same team on offense that we became in 2012...an offense that beats up on weaker defenses but runs into problems when they face (a) teams who don't buckle under the pressure, or (b) crucial over-the-hump games...such as getting past the divisional round.
There was definitely a transition in our offense last season where Matt didn't have to carry the games. Foster did. Whether it was the one-two Foster/Tate punch, or Arian making big plays in the passing game.

Then when Matt got hurt, we leaned even more on Foster.

Quote:
Head Coach and Quarterback is the key. It just is, and not only for our team. Look at teams who play in conference championship games, and what you see is that they've got head coaches and QBs who get it done. Tom Coughlin/Eli Manning got there twice, Bill and Tom get there practically every year for the past decade, Ravens seem to be in the mix consistently, etc.

I warned back when the Texans hired Wade Phillips, and we began to see Wade radically tune the defense up to a higher notch of performance in his free agency and draft pick moves, that the only danger I could foresee was that the defense would be dominant and that it could strain the team's chemistry if the defense became so dominant that the offense failed to capitalize on the opportunities. At some point, partly due to LB injuries among other things, the warning has become reality.
eh.... I think our playmakers let us down just as much as Schaub did. Andre, Arian, & OD need to step it up in the play-offs just as much as Matt does. Duane Brown, Chris Myers, James Casey, & Garrett Graham too.

I take that back, Arian had two pretty good games. But it wasn't just Tom Brady that beat us. It was Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, Steven Riddley, & Shane Vareen. Matt Ryan wasn't doing anything without Anthony Gonzales, Julio Jones, Roddy White, & Jacquizz Rogers. Many people thought Jacoby Jones was the MVP or co-MVP of the Super Bowl.

I agree with you 100%, it starts with the QB & the HC. Matt needs to play a lot better than what he did & Kubiak needs to do a better job as well.
Old 02-27-2013   #44
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Members of TexansTalk!!!

Right? I thought last year was long! Oh man. It already feels like the season should be starting, but FA hasn't even got here yet!

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with you 100%, it starts with the QB & the HC. Matt needs to play a lot better than what he did & Kubiak needs to do a better job as well.
OK, so you're with me in terms of how it starts with the QB & HC.

Now let's say we draft like rock stars in the 2013 draft...we land a stud WR, a stud TE, and even some option at RB or another WR to fill it out. Let's just say that this happens. Now my next question is: How does that end up really improving us IF the QB & HC (who have been here for multiple seasons already) do not grow and expand their respective games in 2013?

The Matt Schaub I saw in the final month of the regular season looked like he couldn't play QB even if it was with a controller and an XBox 360 in front of him. His coach seemingly lost the will to live, as well. What is going to happen between now and the post-season that gets this QB & HC to raise their game even if we somehow added viable weapons to that side of the ball???

I just think we've seen their ceiling. It's not an atrociously bad ceiling, either. It's commendable. It's respectful. We went to the playoffs two years straight, we have a viable team over and over again. But that next step; that next level, it's a whole different thing. I am not optimistic that those two guys can get us there, even if we add more octane to the offense.

If anything, the OL will be the key to 2013. Jones and Newton must make a huge leap in their maturation in 2013. Between Gary & Matt, and Jones & Newton, they have to find a way to lead this team to the next level. I'm even getting to the point of considering the idea of bringing Winston back, though that's not viable on many levels I presume. Still, it's creeping into my mind.
Old 02-27-2013   #46
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
OK, so you're with me in terms of how it starts with the QB & HC.

Now let's say we draft like rock stars in the 2013 draft...we land a stud WR, a stud TE, and even some option at RB or another WR to fill it out. Let's just say that this happens. Now my next question is: How does that end up really improving us IF the QB & HC (who have been here for multiple seasons already) do not grow and expand their respective games in 2013?

The Matt Schaub I saw in the final month of the regular season looked like he couldn't play QB even if it was with a controller and an XBox 360 in front of him. His coach seemingly lost the will to live, as well. What is going to happen between now and the post-season that gets this QB & HC to raise their game even if we somehow added viable weapons to that side of the ball???

I just think we've seen their ceiling. It's not an atrociously bad ceiling, either. It's commendable. It's respectful. We went to the playoffs two years straight, we have a viable team over and over again. But that next step; that next level, it's a whole different thing. I am not optimistic that those two guys can get us there, even if we add more octane to the offense.

If anything, the OL will be the key to 2013. Jones and Newton must make a huge leap in their maturation in 2013. Between Gary & Matt, and Jones & Newton, they have to find a way to lead this team to the next level. I'm even getting to the point of considering the idea of bringing Winston back, though that's not viable on many levels I presume. Still, it's creeping into my mind.
I agree that the OL has to step up big time if we are to take the next step. That is exactly what is necessary for Schaub to have a good to stellar season running Gary's Micromanaged offense. The problem here is that all 31 other teams in the NFL also know that is the need here as well. Those dc's are going to have there pass rushers with there ears pinned back gunning for Schaub. And if they can get to him and rattle him, it will only be luck and the grace of God that will pull out a Texans victory.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
How does that end up really improving us IF the QB & HC (who have been here for multiple seasons already) do not grow and expand their respective games in 2013?
I've already said Matt & Gary have to get better.

Quote:

I just think we've seen their ceiling.
I'm not sold that we've seen that ceiling. I saw a lot of things that didn't work out for Matt & Gary in that final month.

Before going into that game against the Patriots, we all said the OL, Arian, & the defense are going to have to step up their games for us to win. That didn't happen. Derek Newton spent most of his time in Matt's lap, Arian had two good runs & was outplayed by Steven Riddley. & our defense couldn't get critical stops.

A lot went wrong from Schaub & Gary's perspective as well, I'm not saying either were playing/coaching at the level we needed for them to win. It starts with them, but winning is a team accomplishment.

Brady & Belichick didn't win the AFCCG. The biggest difference, in my mind, is that Welker, Riddley, Vareen, & the defense didn't show up.

Quote:
Exactly. If we can consistently run the ball on first & second down, it changes the game for Matt & Gary.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read