Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-20-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ravens installing 46 defense

Rex Ryan is installing his Father's D up with the Ratbirds. Fisher and the Meatballs are the only team that runs a version of the 46 defense up till now (as far as I can tell). This defense is boom or bust since it puts your db's on an island and there is no deep help, so it will be interesting to follow this year.
Quote:
Ravens and 46 defense: A perfect match
By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(June 14, 2005) -- There are substantial stories coming out of the Baltimore Ravens practices that defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, son of famed "46 zone defense" guru Buddy Ryan, is installing the 46 for the Ravens. Simply stated, if the Ravens blend the 4-3, 3-4 and the 46, offenses will have to build a "check with me" philosophy.

As one offensive coach said to me, "Any team that calls a running play in the huddle and comes out and sees the Ravens in the 46 defense better get out of the play."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8564100

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #2
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Rex Ryan is installing his Father's D up with the Ratbirds. Fisher and the Meatballs are the only team that runs a version of the 46 defense up till now (as far as I can tell). This defense is boom or bust since it puts your db's on an island and there is no deep help, so it will be interesting to follow this year.
We play them this year. When I heard that they were insatlling a new D I was happy. It's gonna take them @ least a year to get it down. Hopefully they make all kinds of mistakes when we play them.
Old 06-20-2005   #3
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
If they are smart, they will shift into a cover-2 when they play us. So far Carr & Co. has yet to figure that defense out.
LOL
Old 06-20-2005   #4
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

the 46 D is the best D ever invented but you have to have the right personnel to make it work. I do think Baltimore can pull it off. I am glad to see my favorite D-Coordinators legacy lives on.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...This defense is boom or bust since it puts your db's on an island and there is no deep help, so it will be interesting to follow this year.
True. But has a 46 defense ever had 2 quality CBs like Chris McAlister & Samari Rolle? And Ed Reed seems born to play the 46 SS, in that he can play the run, blitz, and cover. If I were a Raven fan, I'd be pumped about this move.
Old 06-20-2005   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

The Ravens have the best defense in the league by far so I don't think they will have a problem pulling off the 46 Defense.
Old 06-20-2005   #7
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

The Ravens defense is going to be sick this season.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2005   #8
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
True. But has a 46 defense ever had 2 quality CBs like Chris McAlister & Samari Rolle? And Ed Reed seems born to play the 46 SS, in that he can play the run, blitz, and cover. If I were a Raven fan, I'd be pumped about this move.
In Philly, Buddy had Eric Allen and Otis Smith at CB ., with Ben Smith , a number one pick in the mix with them. Think the year was 91, but not sure. Allen was a pro bowl CB and Otis played for years with the Jets and NE.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Well in Tennessee, Fisher had Samari Rolle and either Denard Walker or Andre Dyson. In Houston, Buddy Ryan had Cris Dishman, Darryl Lewis, & Steve Jackson. Those weren't shabby, either.

But McAlister & Rolle are both Pro Bowl caliber corners. If they're both healthy, that's more than a notch above any other CB combo the 46 defense has seen.
Old 06-20-2005   #10
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Your right, Lucky. The Balt. guys are probably better on both sides than any I can remember. I forgot about Dishman/Lewis. A really good pair.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #11
royce1054
All Pro

Personally i liked it when the Oilers used the 46. I just dont think our personnel is good enough to run that D. The 34 is my number 2 D. I think sharper would of loved it. I am not sure how payne, smith, johnson, and walker would do with Babin or Peek as the other end. Its nice to dream huh. then have greenwood and Wong as the lB's and put Earl on the line as the SS. Coleman, Robinson and Buchannon should be able to hold down the secondary.
Old 06-21-2005   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Like Lucky said, Ed Reed was born for this defense. He is going to have a ball.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #13
cdastros
Rookie

Rep Power: 123 cdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the 3-4 defense the best. It just seems easier to draft and find players that fit into that system. When the Oilers ran the 46 under buddy Ryan it only took that team 4 games to figure it out. With the extended offseason work that the players put in, it should not take them that long to figure out the defense.

Does anybody know another team besides the bears to win a super bowl running the 46 defense?
cdastros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Didn't the eagles play it when they set all those defensive records, like 55 sacks in a year and getting 11 sacks in a game?
Old 06-21-2005   #15
royce1054
All Pro

it was the bears who set the record
Old 06-21-2005   #16
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I swear the eagles got the 11 in a game against the cowboys, sacking Aikman.
Old 06-22-2005   #17
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Terrell Suggs to have a huge season playing DE. Dan Cody will have his fair share of sacks as well.
Old 06-22-2005   #18
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 4-6 defense? 4 ends, 6 linebackers, and one DB?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #19
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 4-6 defense? 4 ends, 6 linebackers, and one DB?
The 46 is basically the same personnel you see in a basic 4-3 scheme, but they're positioned differently with different responsibilities. Its a much more agressive scheme. There are still 4 Linemen (DE, DT, DT, DE), 3 LBs (MLB, OLB, and a "rush" backer), 2 CBs, and 2 Safeties. Generally there are 8 guys around the line of scrimmage at all times, and 6 guys attack the LOS on a regular basis. That's one reason why the CBs have to be able to do well on an island since there isn't much help deep. The MLB and one of the Safeties is the last line of defense. The other safety acts like another LB, and the "rush" backer is just a linebacker who's primary objective is to find a way to get to the QB (I think Suggs will fill this role). I think that explains it, but I'm sure I left a thing or two out.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #20
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

46, not 4-6. The defense was named after Doug Plank, former Bears strong safety.

Edit: Vinny beat me to it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read