Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2005   #1
JamesLovesGames
Rookie

Default Ragone

Anyone else curious how this REALLY makes Carr feel?

“It is one of those things where it was fun to be the guy, to be the starter over here, to go out and lead a team from the opening kick off each week .Being in the huddle and guys respecting what you have to say. You know it is your team. That is something that I have to overcome and be the best backup I can be when I get back to the Texans.” -Ragone
Old 06-20-2005   #2
JamesLovesGames
Rookie

I think its a good thing - keeps Carr on his toes. I like Carr but its important for him to know he's not indespensable.
Old 06-20-2005   #3
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLovesGames
Anyone else curious how this REALLY makes Carr feel?

“It is one of those things where it was fun to be the guy, to be the starter over here, to go out and lead a team from the opening kick off each week .Being in the huddle and guys respecting what you have to say. You know it is your team. That is something that I have to overcome and be the best backup I can be when I get back to the Texans.” -Ragone
He probably didn't feel anything. But ya know what I've been wondering. How would Carr have fared over in NFLEL this past year.
Old 06-20-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Carr is worried about any more than playing well on Sundays when it comes to his starting spot.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #5
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Carr would of broken every record they had if he was in Ragone's position, in all honesty, thats what i believe. For Ragone, who is a 3rd Stringer to go over there and do as well as he did, if David for some curious reason was ever sent over, he would set new records in every statistical category possible for a QB
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #6
Doom Capers
Veteran

I know Carr is happy for Ragone because they are very close. I am sure Carr would not mind to have a little competition in camp from Ragone. It is a respect among friends.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #7
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I don't know how much competition the Ragone would give Carr, but I think the competition for Carr will only push him harder to do better. I don't think Carr is too worried about it, though.

Last edited by TexanFan881; 06-20-2005 at 03:35 PM.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2005   #8
JacksonvilleJaguar4
Rookie

I think Ragone would be a good starter in the league (my Madden game tells me so he's the starter for the NY Giants) but in all seriousness Carr will not be unseated by Ragone although Ragone I think he is a Diamond in the rough Ragone unless he's like the Termanator or something he wouldn't do any better than Carr. Ragone can compete with Carr and can learn alot from David, I would be shocked if they benched Carr for Ragone. It would be a dumb move by Capers.
Old 06-20-2005   #9
JacksonvilleJaguar4
Rookie

although Carr I'm sure as well would have been great and broken records hands down but he dosen't really need the help. He'll be fine if your line gets in rythm with each other and figure out how to do zone blocking Carr will be able to put up some great numbers
Old 06-20-2005   #10
TexanPride#1
Rookie

Default Austin

Get Well
TexanPride#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #11
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Ragone is a decent QB - I think I was most impressed by his decision making and td/int ratio playing thru the NFLE season. I think it showed alot of growth on his part from sitting and learning the last 2 years and not having many reps. He had some rust, but he shined up great by the end of the season, putting up MVP #'s. He still has some trouble with the long ball, but he's a good QB and doesnt have to have that to be one if he makes good decisions.

Its a shame though - he will never see playing time on this team unless something happens to Carr. Barring CArr having a horrible year and some horrible injury [both possibilities] He will never see starter minutes on this team

He's a patient guy for sure, but he also wants a chance to start and try to be the starting QB for a team. I can post a few other articles of him saying similar stuff and that he's here to support the team, but he went into this offseason with the goal of putting himself back in the drivers seat and getting something going for his career as a starter QB in this league. 2 more years and he will get a chance - one way or another. IMO our best bet as I have said since before he went to the NFLE is to try and trade him over the next 2 years before he becomes an UFA in 06 and we loose most of our negotiating power with him and he can walk away to try out for any team. Honestly I expect him to be traded sometime before the end of next year. He has a name, stats and value now after his NFLE season. If somebody looses a starter QB in preseason or even during the reg season - I could see somebody bringing him in to try out if we would let him. Honestly we just have no need for him on the team and he's IMO better than a #2 QB - his salary is very manageable and IMO he just needs PT to prove it at the NFL level. PT he he will only get if he's able to get to another team and compete for a starter spot.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 06-20-2005 at 06:39 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
He probably didn't feel anything. But ya know what I've been wondering. How would Carr have fared over in NFLEL this past year.

Carr would have played agaisnt lower quality passrushers and defense. He would have been Peyton.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #13
JacksonvilleJaguar4
Rookie

In my Madden game, Ragone had 20 TDs 14 INTs and 3378 yards as his first year starting for the Giants. Carr had 19 TDs 12INTs and 3145 yards as he only started 13 games you guys drafted a QB that saw some playing time when Carr had a 3 week injury.

In my ESPN 2K5 game Ragone still plays for Houston, but Carr is still the starter. Carr broke his leg in week 10 and was sidelined for the rest of the season, but during his first 10 starts he had 13TDs 8 INTs 2789 yards. In relief Ragone threw 8 TDs 5 INTs 1299 yards.

Obiously these figures mean nothing because its just a videogame but just for fun I posted them anyways.
Old 06-22-2005   #14
GrandPa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
Carr would of broken every record they had if he was in Ragone's position, in all honesty, thats what i believe. For Ragone, who is a 3rd Stringer to go over there and do as well as he did, if David for some curious reason was ever sent over, he would set new records in every statistical category possible for a QB
That is very much an assumption based on a wish and a prayer.

I just do not see Carr as ever being more than a top 15 quarterback in the NFL.

Neither his stats nor his decision making are impressive.
GrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPa

Wish and a prayer?--hardly. Since Carr was 15th in QB ratings last year among QB's who started 2/3rd's of the season and 12th in yardage it seems pretty darn silly to say with an improved team around him he will never be more than a top 15 QB.
Old 06-22-2005   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Any top 15 QB in the NFL would dominate the Euro league. That's not a stretch & even you admitted that Carr is top 15 (though no higher). So that Carr would smash Euro records is a likely prediction by THEFUTURE.

Rather than tell us where Carr ranks, let us know who you'd rather have quarterback the Texans. I'd like to know what you think of the other QBs in the league.

P.S. I'm struggling with the urge to ask you "What's for supper?".
Old 06-22-2005   #17
GrandPa
Rookie

Well he certainly is never going to be (in my opinion) a Brady, Favre, Pepper, McNabb, Vick or Manning kind of QB.

Probably in the Trent Green, Brooks, Boller, Grossman, Harrington area.

Stars shine regardless of the circumstances they find themselves in.

DC does not shine, he is a capable quarterback. He just does not have "it".

I do not think the Texans will climb to elite status with him as a quarterback.

I will gladly change my opinion IF he can show a big leap this year. If not then I will stick with my "capable quarterback" tag for him.

Also I would not be surprised if Ragone ends up as a better quarterback somewhere down the line. That also goes for Henson. We do not know how good they can be yet.

Just because Carr was our first pick does not mean he is the quarterback that will carry this franchise to the top.
GrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well he certainly is never going to be (in my opinion) a Brady, Favre, Pepper, McNabb, Vick or Manning kind of QB.
That list had some credibility until Vick got stuck in with the others.
Old 06-22-2005   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stars shine regardless of the circumstances they find themselves in.

DC does not shine, he is a capable quarterback. He just does not have "it".

Also I would not be surprised if Ragone ends up as a better quarterback somewhere down the line. That also goes for Henson. We do not know how good they can be yet.
We don't know how good good Ragone or Henson can be yet, but we do know that Carr doesn't have "it"? Could that be because Carr is actually starting in the NFL, while Ragone & Henson are 3rd stringers? You've gone from placing Carr at the bottom of you top 15 list to possibly worse than 3rd string QBs. Did David have a bad game sometime between now & your previous post?

Was Peyton Manning "shining" in 2001 when he threw 23 picks & his team went 6-10? Or Farve in '99 when he also threw 23 picks & his team went 8-8? No circumstances kept them and their team from excelling. Is it David Carr's fault the Texans haven't reached the playoffs the past 3 seasons? Would another QB have lead them to a Super Bowl or two? Other than your opinion, do you have any evidence that Carr is holding this team back from greatness?
Old 06-22-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Was Peyton Manning "shining" in 2001 when he threw 23 picks & his team went 6-10? Or Farve in '99 when he also threw 23 picks & his team went 8-8? No circumstances kept them and their team from excelling.
Don't forget Aikman going 1-15 in 1989. He only went on to become the winningest QB of the '90's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read