Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-14-2005   #101
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofb
But don't you remember the big hoopla exactly one year ago where the Texans announced we were changing our blocking schemes to resemble those of the Dolphins? They even said that would fit like a glove for Wade who came over from Miami.
I don't remember that at all. I can't remember where we ever said we wanted the Dolphin blocking scheme.

Quote:
So with all the hoopla over changed blocking schemes last year, it didn't do squat for us. Why should we believe that yet another change in blocking schemes will work this year if it didn't work last year?
Well, we had 4 new faces in the 6 line spots last year. This will be the first year EVER to come back with the same cast for the most part. Also, We aren't changing our scheme, we are just changing our protection calls....which is different. The Texans graded the film and saw mental mistakes more than physical mistakes. How tough is that for most of you guys to understand?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #102
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But don't you remember the big hoopla exactly one year ago where the Texans announced we were changing our blocking schemes to resemble those of the Dolphins?
Close--as pointed out above they changed the run blocking to a zone blocking scheme which was typically associated with Denver.
Old 07-14-2005   #103
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Curious who you think the 5 (or more) franchise tackles were in the past draft - considering this was the first draft in years where a tackle wasn't taken in the top ten. I guess a lot of GMs must have screwed up this year, huh?

Look at "sure things" Gallery and Gross from the last two drafts and that's all you need to know about the uncertainty of it all.
aj, you didn't have your sarcasm detector on when you read Ghetto D's post.

Turn it on and re-read.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #104
Ghetto D
Rookie

Quote:
Curious who you think the 5 (or more) franchise tackles were in the past draft - considering this was the first draft in years where a tackle wasn't taken in the top ten. I guess a lot of GMs must have screwed up this year, huh?
Hey, AJ - it's called sarcasm. Look it up.

I think they made a good choice by passing on an LT rather than reaching. My comment was directed at people who argued for picking an LT.
Ghetto D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #105
Ghetto D
Rookie

Quote:
aj, you didn't have your sarcasm detector on when you read Ghetto D's post.
Glad someone else caught it.
Old 07-14-2005   #106
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what I get for reading only the last post in a thread too fast too early in the morning I guess. Unfortunately, from some of the crapola I've read on this board recently, it struck me as real and I temporarily lost it. 40 lashes.

Last edited by aj.; 07-14-2005 at 12:48 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #107
Ghetto D
Rookie

That's exactly what I'm talking about. WAY to many people thinking GMs just crap LTs.

Sorry if I was too harsh. Bad morning.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2005   #108
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Close--as pointed out above they changed the run blocking to a zone blocking scheme which was typically associated with Denver.
The report I watched on one of the local news channels a year ago definitely said Miami because they went on to say that it would be a great fit for the recently signed Wade since he just came over from Miami. They didn't say it would be exactly the Dolphins' blocking scheme, they said it was "similar". But definitely the team mentioned was the Dolphins.

My point was that we changed "schemes" one year ago. Now we are changing "schemes" again. Maybe there is a method in this apparent madness that I have clumsily overlooked. First, in year one, you change to a better run blocking scheme allowing you to run better but giving up too many sacks/hurries. The following year, year 2, you adjust by putting in a better pass blocking scheme giving your QB time to throw but causing you to only gain 2 yards per rush. Obviously in year 3 your need to...of course, implement a better run blocking scheme...the same one perhaps you tried in year 1. In year 4 after your QB was nearly disabled permanently in year 3 you will naturally need to...

Doh, I think I've got the hang of this now.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #109
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
The following year, year 2, you adjust by putting in a better pass blocking scheme giving your QB time to throw but causing you to only gain 2 yards per rush.
I'm not sure it was a better pass blocking scheme as much as it was telling Carr "throw it before these guys get you killed." It's going to be a similar theme this year. Not better pass blocking, more of Carr just getting rid of it quicker.
Old 07-14-2005   #110
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was that we changed "schemes" one year ago. Now we are changing "schemes" again. Maybe there is a method in this apparent madness that I have clumsily overlooked. First, in year one, you change to a better run blocking scheme allowing you to run better but giving up too many sacks/hurries. The following year, year 2, you adjust by putting in a better pass blocking scheme giving your QB time to throw but causing you to only gain 2 yards per rush.
We have the same scheme. We are making different protection calls. The blocking scheme is unchanged. The way we call the protections are the only thing changing. There is a protection call on every play and Palmer makes those calls.

Old 07-14-2005   #111
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The report I watched on one of the local news channels a year ago definitely said Miami because they went on to say that it would be a great fit for the recently signed Wade since he just came over from Miami. They didn't say it would be exactly the Dolphins' blocking scheme, they said it was "similar". But definitely the team mentioned was the Dolphins.
If you did, you heard a confused commentator trying to translate Casserly saying "we are moving to zone blocking like Denver and we think Todd Wade from Miami will fit real well into it" because Miami doesn't as an ordinary course run zone blocking (all teams do to a degree) and there was even an article on the Texans web-site interviewing Wade about switching to a zone blocking scheme.
Old 07-14-2005   #112
Scottyboy
Veteran

Default Ross Verba Sign?

ANyone know if Ross Verba signed with anyone?
I still think he would be a good pick up, with a solid TE.
if we address these two issues we got a real good shot
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #113
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Default Texans lowballing Verba?

AP reports when the phone did ring for OT Ross Verba, it was Houston. The Texans had an offer -- a one-year deal in the $1 million range. Not exactly what Verba had in mind when he stormed out of the Browns' facility, even paying back his $450,000 roster bonus to be a free agent.

I found this at :
Verba link
Old 07-26-2005   #114
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

He'd be stupid not to take that money.

Its almost the start of training camp, and if only one team is offering you money...well then get there and start learning the system. Otherwise, he'll be sitting his butt at home paying back the Browns.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #115
TommyS
Veteran

his best bet now is to wait until someone gets injured, or plays badly, in training camp. then he might make a few mil from someone desperate.

but he'll be getting $35M when
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #116
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Default Verba's agent?

Old 08-13-2005   #117
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Any news about this guy?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005   #118
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Actually if Wiegert is out for the season, we might have to consider him again for Wiegert's position or move others around accordingly.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005   #119
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Actually if Wiegert is out for the season...
Out for the season with a high ankle sprain? I'm not a Dr., but that seems excessive don't you think?
Old 08-14-2005   #120
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

There goes Ibar overreacting again.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read