Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2005   #81
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
name the LTs that are better, not many, top 10 seems about right, he wouldnt have stayed a free agent if he didnt demand so high, and he had been released prior to the draft
We've been over this issue plenty of times. Earlier on in the thread someone was asked to name their top 10 LTs that are better. link

Seems like we keep arguing in circles in this thread even though there is no real news on it in quite awhile. Tends to get frustrating. :brickwall
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #82
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL
Default Dear "THEFUTURE"

I beg to differ.

The teams that still have holes at LT or whatever Position Verba is supposed to play........would've signed him if he was top 10 at any thing along the line. The teams are going into TC soon, so if they really thought that he was a way better player than someone they already had then they would've signed him ASAP.

The reality is that he wasn't even the best lineman on the Cleveland Browns Offensive line last year. And they weren't that good. So, this top 10 B.S. has to stop.

I don't care how much money he wanted or how much of a whiney teammate he is, if he was a top 10 LT, he would've been signed already. PERIOD. But, the real NFL GM's know more, than the bozo's that wrote Verba is top 10.....therefore Verba is still a Free Agent, until he comes back to earth and realizes that he's lucky to get a top 20 rating.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #83
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
I beg to differ.

The teams that still have holes at LT or whatever Position Verba is supposed to play........would've signed him if he was top 10 at any thing along the line. The teams are going into TC soon, so if they really thought that he was a way better player than someone they already had then they would've signed him ASAP.

The reality is that he wasn't even the best lineman on the Cleveland Browns Offensive line last year. And they weren't that good. So, this top 10 B.S. has to stop.

I don't care how much money he wanted or how much of a whiney teammate he is, if he was a top 10 LT, he would've been signed already. PERIOD. But, the real NFL GM's know more, than the bozo's that wrote Verba is top 10.....therefore Verba is still a Free Agent, until he comes back to earth and realizes that he's lucky to get a top 20 rating.
Verba allowed 4 sacks out of the 40+ sacks the browns gave up last year, so i dont know how much better anyone else is on that line. NFL GMs wouldnt want him for how much money he would want, or the kind of teammate he is... our front office is a very well ran office, and are not going to put any player on the field that is going to make the Texans look like the Raiders version 2.0.. nowadays, half of a GMs battle is with the salary cap, and they can't afford to give Verba what he wants, when Verba first came out, he talked to 5 or 6 teams, and now it has dropped to just a couple teams, because Verba wanted to much. some times GMs just have to bite the bullet, and say they will settle with what they have, rather than put the money out to get a LT who wants 5-6 mil a year
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #84
malomar00

I am a die hard Browns fan and have been for years. I'm also a former LT so I spend the better part of every game watching the offensive line and I have to tell you, Ross Verba has lost his mind. So has ESPN if they have him rated as one of the top 10 tackles in the league.

Want to know why he only gave up 4.5 sacks, because the interior of our line was so horrible that other teams would blitz up the middle all game. Garcia was too small to see over them so they would end up beating Verba's d-end to the QB.

I have always hated Verba as a LT, he's powerful enough, and is a decent run blocker but can't move well enough to be a credible pass blocker, especially on the left side. Now don't get me wrong, he would have been a great guard, but he's just not worth a 37.5 million dollar contract.
Old 07-10-2005   #85
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

stats for O-lineman aren't that accurate.

I don't care if Verba didn't "officially" allow any sacks.....look at Mckinney, he was our worst lineman last year by a mile, and he didn't get credited with giving up that many sacks.

And I agree that Verba is a decent lineman, and definitely a better guard than tackle.

But, there is no way that he is or was a top 10 LT.

all that said, I'd pay him a lot of money if he could play Center as good as he can play guard.

If we start the season with anyone other than mckinney playing Center, I'll consider our off-season a success.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #86
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the bottom line is we know the texans would like to have him in as competition at a year long contract for around 1 mil...if that...nowhere in there have they said he would be our starter at LT...personally i would like to see us try the same set up again...wand at LT and pitts at LG...why...because i would like to know 100% that wand is either something to write home about or if we really do need to draft a LT in the 1st round next year...right now we cannot say for a 100% that wand isn't our guy...we really haven't seen what steps he's made this offseason to better himself...so really i'd just like to see how he does...don't really care about this verba character
Old 07-11-2005   #87
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

NFL | Verba not Getting the Big Offer He Sought
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:53:02 -0700

Terry Pluto, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports free agent OT Ross Verba </player/453/nfl> (Browns) has not been getting many calls from teams looking to sign him. Reportedly, most of his offers have been in the one-year range, and for not much more than $1 million. Verba doesn't realize how popping off about the Cleveland Browns </team/13/nfl> has led to questions about his character. Teams also know that he missed all of 2003 with a biceps injury, and he will be 32 at the end of October. Verba will probably land somewhere, but not for the big contract he expects. :brickwall
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2005   #88
wrestler4life
Veteran

Thank the good Lord that Verba is not commanding any real $, because then is we are dumb enough to sign him, it won't cost us that much.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #89
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Thank the good Lord that Verba is not commanding any real $, because then is we are dumb enough to sign him, it won't cost us that much.
I agree that we shouldn't pay the outrageous salary he thinks he's due, but I don't think he'd be a bad pickup at all. Honestly, which of our linemen would you rate better than Verba? I think I'd take a flyer on Pitts, given his upside and 2003 performance, but not sure about many others. Todd Wade maybe? Wand is going to take another year or two of coaching to sell me on his ability to start for many other teams. Verba is a starter for most of the 32 NFL teams, even if not at LT. I'm sure we could find a place for him on this line, especially if we manage to sign him for a reasonable asking price.

But yeah, he's out of his friggin' mind for now.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #90
Texan Spain
Rookie

If our problem is the Oline, why didn't they try to change Todd Wade to the left side真真'???? and if we do that, we didn't need to sign "fantastics" LT like Ross Verba
Texan Spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #91
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Spain
If our problem is the Oline, why didn't they try to change Todd Wade to the left side真真'???? and if we do that, we didn't need to sign "fantastics" LT like Ross Verba
Unfortunatly, Wade is only a RT. He is average at best as a pass blocker.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #92
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Spain
because our OL problem is not primarily the LT position. Our greatest weakness last season were the protection schemes and the interior line.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #93
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
because our OL problem is not primarily the LT position. Our greatest weakness last season were the protection schemes and the interior line.
I would love to believe that what you said is true. It would be sad to think that the Texans have the schemes, but asfter 3 full years still have 3rd to 4th rate linemen. What a debocle that would be! :brickwall
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #94
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually the pass blocking schemes are what is in question and will make different line calls this year. Dominant Left Tackles take a few years to groom from College and they don't fall off the tree 'ready to eat' unless you get a top-10 player. Free agents are FREE, so nobody forces them to come to expansion teams. It's not like there is some magic well to dip them out of.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #95
Ghetto D
Rookie

Are you sure about that Vinny? As I gather from this board, not only does just about every other NFL team have a better LT and O Line, but there was at least 5 (or more) franchise tackles in the past draft.

The same people begging for any LT help will be complaining about wasted cap space and calling for CC's head when (if) we press and sign a Verba type for too much.

You know just about every team seems to have their achilles heel. The Broncos can't seem to figure out DBs, the Jags have had issues with DE, the Eagles had to bring in TO to get a decent WR, the Bengals/Cards had trouble with 1st rounders. Perhaps LT will be our constant achilles. I hope not, but I think its worth throwing it out there.
Ghetto D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #96
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

no no, our achiles heal will always be TE. i seriously believe we made a deal with the football gods before the cowboy game. the deal went like this, " us football gods will give you the win provided you sacrifice a position in the future."

we then said" well how do we choose which position to sacrifice?"

the gods answered," whichever position scores the first touchdown."

so here we are. our future franchise TE gets injured 3 years in a row. thanks alot billy miller.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #97
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there was at least 5 (or more) franchise tackles in the past draft.
Curious who you think the 5 (or more) franchise tackles were in the past draft - considering this was the first draft in years where a tackle wasn't taken in the top ten. I guess a lot of GMs must have screwed up this year, huh?

Look at "sure things" Gallery and Gross from the last two drafts and that's all you need to know about the uncertainty of it all.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #98
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
But don't you remember the big hoopla exactly one year ago where the Texans announced we were changing our blocking schemes to resemble those of the Dolphins? They even said that would fit like a glove for Wade who came over from Miami. So with all the hoopla over changed blocking schemes last year, it didn't do squat for us. Why should we believe that yet another change in blocking schemes will work this year if it didn't work last year? In the end, if your line stinks and your front office didn't do jack in either the draft or through trades/free agency to improve your line, the only excuse left to use is "we are changing our blocking schemes". How many years in a row are we supposed to fall for the "changed blocking schemes" excuse before we just wise up (as fans and as front office personnel) and admit our line stinks and take some action to correct the problem?
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #99
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofb
But don't you remember the big hoopla exactly one year ago where the Texans announced we were changing our blocking schemes to resemble those of the Dolphins? They even said that would fit like a glove for Wade who came over from Miami. So with all the hoopla over changed blocking schemes last year, it didn't do squat for us. Why should we believe that yet another change in blocking schemes will work this year if it didn't work last year? In the end, if your line stinks and your front office didn't do jack in either the draft or through trades/free agency to improve your line, the only excuse left to use is "we are changing our blocking schemes". How many years in a row are we supposed to fall for the "changed blocking schemes" excuse before we just wise up (as fans and as front office personnel) and admit our line stinks and take some action to correct the problem?
If I remember correctly, last year we went to a form of zone blocking. That effects the running game...NOT the passing game. It sounds like our problems last year stemmed from Chris Palmer's pass blocking assignments and schemes...We are changing something different than what we changed last year. I seem to remember us having a decent running game last year...You know the part that should have been influenced by the change...this year they are changing the pass protections...hopefully we will have good results...we can only wait and see, but I don't see this as a revolving door "excuse".
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #100
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's threads like these that really drive home just how spoiled we all were by the old Oilers offensive line.

Seriously, is there even a line that good in the NFL today? I'm sure there are a few really good ones like that but man, I so miss having an O-line that you don't even have to think about. One that's just "there" and always gets it done.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read