Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-26-2005   #61
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
I read the list and frankly, I think that this guy is off his rocker.

This list, has Testaverde listed as the 10th most valuable FA. Come on, I'm a fan of his too, but, number 10 ?

The guy's list looks shaky, that's all...JMO

Now, don't get me wrong, I think that Verba is a good player and if he's changed into a classy person all of a sudden, then cool we should sign him. And even if he hasn't, big whoop, we've brought on a couple headcases lately anyways right.........the problem is the $37.5 million that he wants. If '31' is his prime then I'd have to say that he's going to be out of his prime very soon. I've never heard of 31 being the PRIME year........but, OK, I'll give it to you. The problem is still the money......If I own a fantasy SIM league, then sure I sign him.........but, if I'm Casserly, then I have to think hard about the guy 'being in his prime 31' and the amount of money he wants with it. If he takes a small bonus then sure, sign away.....but, he wants his big deal and I'm pretty sure, he wants a comparable signing bonus.
I've always heard an athlete's prime is typically 28-32. Usually physical maturity, experience, and ability make that an athlete's peak. Now, I understand that really good OL may even last a bit longer.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #62
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Default No love for Verba -

This was over at Foxsports on players to avoid in FA

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3713828

Tackles — Ross Verba and Kyle Turley
Ross Verba took the Oasis approach this off-season, proudly boasting that he's the best in the game, making some corners of the football world snicker. But, like the brothers Gallagher once claimed, if you tell everyone you're the best, maybe half of them are silly enough to believe you.

However, for those of us in the other fifty percent, we realize Verba is no Anthony Muñoz, and his off-season holdout in Cleveland (before being released) was approaching comical. Personally, I wouldn't necessarily need an offensive tackle around my locker room that acted like he was the straw that stirred the drink. Especially if that drink went 4-12 last season and couldn't move the ball.

Oh yeah, and if Kyle Turley were as focused at staying healthy and controlling his temper as he is at adding tattoos, he wouldn't be on this list either.

Here's more
Clayton article from the 22nd

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2092239

Last edited by U4ikrob; 06-27-2005 at 11:41 AM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #63
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
I've always heard an athlete's prime is typically 28-32. Usually physical maturity, experience, and ability make that an athlete's peak. Now, I understand that really good OL may even last a bit longer.
I agree...The leagues best linemen are always in their late 20's to the mid 30's since it takes a couple of years of mistakes and adjusting from the College game to become a refined product. You just don't see the same speed and quickness across the board in 260-300 pound men in College. Linemen generally don't have to worry about losing a step in thier 40-times, so if they avoid injury they tend to have long careers if they are good.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #64
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

So do you give a 5yr 37.5 million deal, to a guy nearing the end of his prime ?
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #65
wrestler4life
Veteran

The Rockets would.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #66
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
So do you give a 5yr 37.5 million deal, to a guy nearing the end of his prime ?
My opinion on Verba is the same as it has always been. That has nothing to do with his age (he could play for another 4-5 years). We could pay him a 700 Billion dollar contract for a million years for all I care as long as he doesn't have a large bonus.

Old 06-27-2005   #67
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
My opinion on Verba is the same as it has always been. That has nothing to do with his age (he could play for another 4-5 years). We could pay him a 700 Billion dollar contract for a million years for all I care as long as he doesn't have a large bonus.
Just make sure that at the top of the "To-do list" it says: 'Cut Ross before checks are mailed'

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2005   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

just cut him in year 3 of his back-loaded million year contract. Nothing but the bonus will have cap implications.

Old 06-27-2005   #69
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
just cut him in year 3 of his back-loaded million year contract. Nothing but the bonus will have cap implications.
Right. The guy can have a scheduled salary that has him getting more than
all the money Ken Lay, Jeff Skilling, and Andrew Fastow ever got their collective piggy hands on from Enron, but if it don't qualify as guaranteed its all funny money until he's got it in his account.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #70
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Default enron money

Those guys would probably make great NFL capoligists.

Old 06-27-2005   #71
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Yea, I generally knew that's all you had to do. I guess making jokes while I'm at work doesn't go together too well.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #72
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
VERBA BLEW IT

If he'd shut his yap and given the new-era Browns a try, offensive tackle Ross Verba would've gotten paid well in 2005 -- more than $3 million.

Instead, he ran his mouth and forced his way out of Cleveland, in the hopes of bagging a long-term deal worth $30 to $35 million.

And now he's got nothing.

Well, not nothing. But close to it. We hear that the only team with serious interest in Verba is the Texans, and they're offering him less than what the Browns paid Verba's replacement, L.J. Shelton.

Don't be surprised if Verba simply walks away from the game.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #73
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

so is he coming or not? I have heard nothing about him in weeks.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #74
TexanPride#1
Rookie

Verba would be great to add @ a 3year deal worth15 million. casserly will be crazy not to if he dosent hell be doing this :brickwall verba is on of the 10 best LT in the game. Carr without him
TexanPride#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #75
TexanPride#1
Rookie

He will come to houston trust me i have an inside source that says so. Casserly will make sure hes here by camp . Remember this thread folks
TexanPride#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #76
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

if he comes here or not, the thing to do in the meantime is to say his name but roll the r, so its like verrrrrrrrrrba. god, i hate this time of year.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #77
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Verba will only get the vet min from whoever he signs with.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #78
Ghetto D
Rookie

Quote:
He will come to houston trust me i have an inside source that says so.
...so I guess I can go ahead and place my order for my Verba Texans jersey?
Ghetto D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #79
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanPride#1
Verba would be great to add @ a 3year deal worth15 million. casserly will be crazy not to if he dosent hell be doing this :brickwall verba is on of the 10 best LT in the game. Carr without him

Waste of money IMO. slow, fat, on the downside of his career. and the one of the 10 best LT in the league, thats a matter of opinion. he might be a top 20 LT, but not a top 10. top 10 guys don't stay free agents for long and usually get what they want.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #80
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Waste of money IMO. slow, fat, on the downside of his career. and the one of the 10 best LT in the league, thats a matter of opinion. he might be a top 20 LT, but not a top 10. top 10 guys don't stay free agents for long and usually get what they want.
name the LTs that are better, not many, top 10 seems about right, he wouldnt have stayed a free agent if he didnt demand so high, and he had been released prior to the draft
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read