Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-19-2005   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 346 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brownsville Texas trying to get an NFL team???

Ran across this from my google search on Houston Texans.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_...65769_0_10_0_C

Below are a few exerts I took out from the article. Follow the link to see the full text.

But could it ever be in the Rio Grande Valley?
Right now the region boasts skylines filled with water towers, not skyscrapers. Instead of big city lights, most of the Valley is filled with farmland peppered with small to mid-sized cities.
It may not be an image the National Football League wants broadcast across the nation for its weekly showcase. But one group is shouldering the daunting task of convincing the NFL that the nation’s poorest region can support an NFL franchise with the same fervor as America’s largest cities.

“We are trying to get all of our ducks in a row now for the big presentation to the NFL in New York in the next few months.”

The group’s top priority is garnering enough financial support to compete with some stiff competition in attracting one of two new NFL teams planned for 2008.

I hadn't heard that there were two teams planned for 2008. Had anyone else heard this? Is this set in stone?
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #2
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I had read that article also. Seems like a real tough sell. But as they said:
Quote:
There are a lot of power hitters in Mexico, and particularly in Monterrey.”
The NFL would love to have Mexico more involved.
Hadn't heard about 2 teams being added, but it would make more sense and even things out somewhat.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #3
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

is it just me or is that market too small for an NFL team. I know some Mexicans would attend the games but i just think Brownsville is too small of a city for a NFL team... maybe if they made a minor league NFL league then i would put Brownsville there. i would give EL Paso and San Antonio a team before Brownsville
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #4
TheGus
Rookie

LA is getting a team in 2008, and I THINK that New Mexico may get a team.
Old 06-19-2005   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Surely they are not serious.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #6
royce1054
All Pro

LA deserves a team though. They are the 2nd largest market and can bring in some serious revenue. I seriously doubt New Mexico, Brownsville could bring in that kind of revenue. Maybe Las Vegas or San Antonio would be more serious talk of expansion if they decide to do anymore than LA
Old 06-19-2005   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

One reason why they would get a team is, because probably outside of Texas no one knows there is a Brownsville Texas.
Old 06-19-2005   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
Surely they are not serious.

Yea they can't be. I had some water in my mouth and spit it out all over the computer when I saw the thread. This must be a joke.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #9
royce1054
All Pro

maybe they are trying to move the NFL towards Mexico in the near furture and are trying to get the people there excited about it?????????????
Old 06-20-2005   #10
12Gage
Rookie

I live about 20 mins from Brownsville, in Harlingen, and I was pretty shocked when I first heard this. They are fairly serious, but it won't happen. Not enough people willing to spend the money down here, like the articles says, we are the nations poorest region.
But I don't see anything wrong with trying, it shines a little light on us down here.

Last edited by 12Gage; 06-20-2005 at 05:55 PM.
12Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #11
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Good idea but not enough people to keep tix sales up during down years. It's also hotter than the dickens down there. (as though it ain't hot here either).
Old 06-21-2005   #12
TheGus
Rookie

Well, Green Bay has a team and they are a small down but then again they also pack cheese.
Old 06-21-2005   #13
chicagotexan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
LA deserves a team though. They are the 2nd largest market and can bring in some serious revenue. I seriously doubt New Mexico, Brownsville could bring in that kind of revenue. Maybe Las Vegas or San Antonio would be more serious talk of expansion if they decide to do anymore than LA
LA deserves nothing. So what if they have a huge "potential" market. They had 2 teams and didn't support them. They were practically given the last franchise, all they had to do is muster a hal********* effort and couldn't even do that.
chicagotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #14
gcolby
Veteran

1. There are NO plans to add 2 more teams to the NFL.

2. Somebody made the comment that adding 2 more teams makes sense. Please explain that one to me. 32 teams = 8 divisions, 4 teams each. 34 teams is chaos again.
gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

They will move a team to LA eventually. How long it takes is a different matter.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is always full of surprises, so who knows for sure what they might do. To this day I have NEVER understood how Jacksonville got a team. Florida already had two, and that was enough for such a small state.

Of all the cities in Texas that MIGHT be able to support an NFL team, I don't know why El Paso is not high on the list. Probably because it falls in the same catagory as SA and Brownsville. Low income area, not enough big bucks available to plunk down 700million PLUS for a new franchise. JMO. Dont think we will ever see it happen.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read