Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-26-2013   #141
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans #2 WR position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I'm sure you can find a lot more instances of rookie wideouts having a big impact in their rookie season. I forgot to mention A.J. Green in my last post along with guys like Randy Moss and Julio Jones. I was just naming guys off the top of my head. But most of the time you're not going to find a wide receiver, especially late in the first round, who will come in and light the world on fire.

Dez Bryant from the Dallas Cowboys, for example, if you look at his production during his first three years in the NFL... That's usually the norm when it comes to a wide receiver developing in the pros. It's going to take two or three years before we know if we hit a home run or not with our rookie wideout. And like I said, by then we'll be in the market for a new number one because Andre Johnson will already be on the decline.

But my point being is that it generally takes two or three years for most rookie wide receivers to flourish into a good player. Gary Kubiak mentioned a few days ago that he believes players make their biggest leap from year one to year two, and he is hoping Keshawn Martin becomes a more consistent playmaker next season.

We already have too many young wide receivers on our roster. I know it's unfortunate DeVier Posey is injured at the moment, but I'd rather give Lestar Jean or Jeff Maehl a good and hard look going into next season.

If I were the Texans GM (and I know many of us would love to trade jobs with Rick Smith), I would release Kevin Walter and try to find the cap space to add a good and proven veteran wide receiver in free agency. I would even consider trading our 27th pick in round one if it could land us a good wide receiver via a trade.

I wouldn't even spend one draft pick on any wide receiver in this draft. In any round. Perhaps sign a couple undrafted rookie wideouts at best. To come to camp and compete with the other young guys we already have. And by that I'm only talking about 3-6 on the depth chart. We can probably keep a few on the practice squad.

We need immediate help right now at the number two wide receiver position to compliment Andre Johnson (while he's still a beast). If the Texans make the right moves this off-season we can definitely win the Super Bowl next year. But if they think they're going to land a difference maker at wide receiver with the 27th overall pick -- they're setting themselves up for disappointment yet again. We may as well just give the AFC to the Patriots right now...
See this is where we disagree, Rodgers/Hunter/Hopkins would be better than any WR on the roster excluding AJ.

Also you are trying to say that Posey/Matin/Jean are better than the trio I listed above?

Matin is a 4/5th WR/KR-PR on a good team. He has his place on the team. Posey probably wont play and Jean is very overrated on this MB. He's proven nothing and has trouble getting separation. I think the current WR corps is young, but there isn't a difference maker in the bunch.

I'm for drafting 2 WR's Hunter/Swope in rds 1-4. This will help provide competition within the WR group and the young guys can learn the tricks of the trade from AJ. When is the last time the Texans had a legitimate threat at WR2? It's time to fix that.

I see Hunter/Rodgers/Hopkins as potential difference makers next yr. You dont?

PS, as long as the Texans have Schaub and the Pats have Brady the Texans will always be at a disadvantage.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #142
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If drafting two WRs, I'd like Rogers and Stedman Bailey for slot; despite his size he can play outside also.
Old 02-26-2013   #143
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If drafting two WRs, I'd like Rogers and Stedman Bailey for slot; despite his size he can play outside also.
This is also why I suggested drafting Swope.

If a WR is picked in rd 1 would you pick Bailey/Swope type in Rd 3?
Old 02-26-2013   #144
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

If it's Swope, I would. Low 3rd round seems like great value for Swope to me.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #145
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Probably not, Rogers/B. Williams/David Amerson (S/CB)/OLB/ A J Klein
Old 02-26-2013   #146
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
If it's Swope, I would. Low 3rd round seems like great value for Swope to me.
Agreed

Doubtful Swope will be there late in the 3rd. I could see Sherman/Dolphins picking Swope early in the 3rd.
Old 02-26-2013   #147
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel if Texans nail WR in first they will quickly move on to other pressing needs

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #148
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Probably not, Rogers/B. Williams/David Amerson (S/CB)/OLB/ A J Klein
You're that high on A.J. Klein? Me too, How high do you think Klien goes? Comp 3rd IMHO

I do like Jake Knott in the 4-5th too.
Old 02-26-2013   #149
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
You're that high on A.J. Klein? Me too, How high do you think Klien goes? Comp 3rd IMHO

I do like Jake Knott in the 4-5th too.
Followed Klein all year but kept putting others before him. Hard to ignore his production; he's rated 5th
round #166 but should be there in our 4th. Excellent value and possible starter. OLB is what is giving me trouble
Old 02-26-2013   #150
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
PS, as long as the Texans have Schaub and the Pats have Brady the Texans will always be at a disadvantage.
I think once our defense get over the man-crush they have on Brady, we'll be alright.
Old 02-26-2013   #151
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See this is where we disagree, Rodgers/Hunter/Hopkins would be better than any WR on the roster excluding AJ.

Also you are trying to say that Posey/Matin/Jean are better than the trio I listed above?

Matin is a 4/5th WR/KR-PR on a good team. He has his place on the team. Posey probably wont play and Jean is very overrated on this MB. He's proven nothing and has trouble getting separation. I think the current WR corps is young, but there isn't a difference maker in the bunch.

I'm for drafting 2 WR's Hunter/Swope in rds 1-4. This will help provide competition within the WR group and the young guys can learn the tricks of the trade from AJ. When is the last time the Texans had a legitimate threat at WR2? It's time to fix that.

I see Hunter/Rodgers/Hopkins as potential difference makers next yr. You don't?

I like the bolded above. But I really like the Hopkins part, 4.5 or not. Maybe that's just me but he sure looks like a play maker kinda guy to me. I'd not be irate over either one of the other choices but I don't think Hunter will be there and I think Rodgers will scare Rick & Co. away. I really like Hopkins but if the regime drops their standards just a little, Rodgers would perhaps be an upgrade. Swope, to me, sounds like a no brainer but really doubt he'll be there in the 3rd like I've heard bandied about.

Would you be be cool with that?

P.S. I agree with your stance on QBs.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #152
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I like the bolded above. But I really like the Hopkins part, 4.5 or not. Maybe that's just me but he sure looks like a play maker kinda guy to me. I'd not be irate over either one of the other choices but I don't think Hunter will be there and I think Rodgers will scare Rick & Co. away. I really like Hopkins but if the regime drops their standards just a little, Rodgers would perhaps be an upgrade. Swope, to me, sounds like a no brainer but really doubt he'll be there in the 3rd like I've heard bandied about.

Shave your beard, hippy!!
Old 02-26-2013   #153
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Shave your beard, hippy!!
Prolly not gonna happen any time soon young man.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #154
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

I like Rodgers more than Hunter. But there's no Bob allows Rodgers to be picked. Hopkins would be 1.C for me. But All of the WR's will probably end up being great players.

Hopkins doesn't have as much potential to be a differencemaker long term. But Hopkins is more day 1 ready to be a contributor than Hunter. Rodgers is the best of both worlds talent wise. IMHO
Old 02-27-2013   #155
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Rodgers more than Hunter. But there's no Bob allows Rodgers to be picked. Hopkins would be 1.C for me. But All of the WR's will probably end up being great players.

Hopkins doesn't have as much potential to be a differencemaker long term. But Hopkins is more day 1 ready to be a contributor than Hunter. Rodgers is the best of both worlds talent wise. IMHO
I agree Rodgers is a very good WR, but I put him on a par with Hopkins and Hunter. It's also very doubtful that the Texans would draft a pothead that can't learn from his mistakes. That leaves us with either Hopkins, more pro ready right now but will probably never be a true #1 WR, or Hunter, who needs to learn more routes and has future #1 WR potential and has far more future upside. It's decisions like that when I'm glad that I'm only an internet GM with no consequences to my decisions. I really like them both but once in a while you have to swing for the fences and go for that homerun, I'd take Hunter at #27 and put him on an in depth learning process all summer long.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #156
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree Rodgers is a very good WR, but I put him on a par with Hopkins and Hunter. It's also very doubtful that the Texans would draft a pothead that can't learn from his mistakes. That leaves us with either Hopkins, more pro ready right now but will probably never be a true #1 WR, or Hunter, who needs to learn more routes and has future #1 WR potential and has far more future upside. It's decisions like that when I'm glad that I'm only an internet GM with no consequences to my decisions. I really like them both but once in a while you have to swing for the fences and go for that homerun, I'd take Hunter at #27 and put him on an in depth learning process all summer long.
Hunter is my 4th ranked WR, Rodgers/Patterson/Austin.

since Rodgers wont be picked and Patterson/Austin will be off the board by 27, Hunter is worth the risk. Hopkins is rated 5 on my WR board.
Old 02-27-2013   #157
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
If Rogers passed 10 drug screens at Tech would you not agree he might have learned from being removed from Vols roster?
Old 02-27-2013   #158
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I see Hunter/Rodgers/Hopkins as potential difference makers next yr. You dont?

I doubt the Texans will draft 2 more WR's this year. Maybe if they've given up on Jean and know Posey will not be coming back, but it's more likely they go with 1 WR in the 1st or 2nd round, then move on to other needs. Besides, after the Combine Swope had, he may not be there for the Texans in the 2nd round, let alone the 4th. That 4.34 for a "white boy" is sick, regardless of his hand size (8 1/2"). He was one of the players that absolutely "blew up" the Combine and there is a lot of talk about him moving up the draft boards.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read