Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-25-2013   #121
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans #2 WR position

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I believe that Goodwin will have better hands then Martin.
That may be. I like Goodwin, I'm just not sure if the Texans would be willing to put Martin, or even Jean to be honest, on the backburner after 1 season. If Goodwin looks to be something special, the so be it but I don't think Goodwin would the #2 because of his size & that would still need to be addressed imo.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #122
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Tavon Austin is the most special talent matched to Texan 1st rd draft slot. I would now say with respect to my fellow peers, Texans F/O, coaches & players BPA @ position of need.

He is NFL ready. Impact player. Field stretcher. Dynamic playmaker. In short a shot in the offensive arm

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #123
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Tavon Austin is the most special talent matched to Texan 1st rd draft slot. I would now say with respect to my fellow peers, Texans F/O, coaches & players BPA @ position of need.

He is NFL ready. Impact player. Field stretcher. Dynamic playmaker. In short a shot in the offensive arm
ZERO chance he makes it to our spot.

He's the darling of the combine thus far. Speed and hands, he won't be there for us.
Old 02-25-2013   #124
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I don't see Swope making it to the 4th round much less the late portion of the 4th. Like I said earlier, I think he helped his stock enough to get himself into the 3rd.

I do like Hunter though.
Then I would trade back into the 3rd and pick him.

You could then get an OT like Fragel, ILB Klein/Swope in the 3rd. That's 3 potential impact players due to the depth of this draft.

Hunter/Swope WR problem taken care of

Brandon Williams NT in Rd.2

Klein- ILB taken care of

Fragel- OT taken care of, Fragel reminds me of a better version of Winston.

Would everybody be happy adding 5 guys that can play in one draft? A draft like this would rival the 2006 draft. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #125
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall, early in my draft view, I am much more encouraged by this group of WRs than I was with last year's group. Last year, I really tried to find players I thought would be great fits for the Texans, but there was always some this or that that didn't make various options good values for development at the top of the draft.

Ultimately, I try to find positives out of negatives, and if there is any positive about the disappointment of the end last season, I think it creates more urgency on the offensive side of the ball. And if as McNair has clearly said that they want more offensive playmakers, this might be a handy draft for that.
Old 02-25-2013   #126
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Welp, you can probably pencil Swope in as one of our mid to late round picks. A&M alum and buddies with Kubiaks kid = Shoe in the door

*edit* And NO, I'm not saying he will or will not be an option as a #2 WR. Didn't want to create a new thread
Swope is going to go a lot higher than mid or late rounds. I think he's gone by the time the Texans get to their compensatory pick in the 3rd.
Old 02-25-2013   #127
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Wowsers! I had no idea Swope was that fast. A 4.34 is haulin ass. I have always kinda blown off the Combine field exercises (although, I still watch), but this kid had to have helped himself with his 40 time. No way he makes it past the 2nd day, imo. Props to the dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Swope is going to go a lot higher than mid or late rounds. I think he's gone by the time the Texans get to their compensatory pick in the 3rd.
Yezzir, I acknowledged I might've underestimated him earlier today. I wouldn't have a problem using a 3rd on him.

Plus, he has a cool name.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2013   #128
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
ZERO chance he makes it to our spot.

He's the darling of the combine thus far. Speed and hands, he won't be there for us.
There is always a chance. Combine is just one facet in the process. His size & weight will continue to hold his stock in check, there are also plenty of WR's with intriguing story's to tell. A real strong OT & DT class, not to mention teams covet & reach for QB' every year.

I've seen him mocked to Texans for months, now I see why.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-25-2013   #129
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end of the day, Owen Daniels is the Texans #2 receiver!!

Signed, Shannon Sharpe!
Old 02-25-2013   #130
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27051 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans look at what the Patriots are doing then there would be plenty of cap space to add a legitimate number two wide receiver during free agency. It's on you, RICK SMITH! But he pays Matt Schaub more money than Tom Brady is now making. When he didn't even have to give Schaub that extension that fast. It should have waited until now but that's another topic for another day.

Unless we're talking about a can't miss "Randy Moss or Julio Jones" type guy, I find it far fetched that we're going to add an impact player right away at the position. We need somebody who can compliment Andre Johnson right now. Not two or three years down the road, which is a reasonable time frame it takes most rookie wideouts to develop into a legit two if not a pro bowler. By then Andre Johnson will already be washed up and near retirement.

Our window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl, at least with Andre Johnson still performing at an elite level, is likely 2013, 2014 and 2015. Three more seasons at best. I can't imagine he'll still be as good nearing 35 years old going into 2016 with 13 years of NFL experience under his belt.

We need a big free agent signing if we expect to find that immediate help at the number two wide receiver position. It sucks we failed to sign Reggie Wayne last off-season -- after Andre Johnson tried to recruit his fellow Miami Hurricane friend, but now we need to try and land the big name wideout in free agency this off-season. Whoever it may be.

Another rookie wide receiver isn't going to do "JACK" for us. And I'm only being nice when I say that. We need an established difference maker if we expect to compliment a still productive Andre Johnson.
Old 02-26-2013   #131
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
If the Texans look at what the Patriots are doing then there would be plenty of cap space to add a legitimate number two wide receiver during free agency. It's on you, RICK SMITH! But he pays Matt Schaub more money than Tom Brady is now making. When he didn't even have to give Schaub that extension that fast. It should have waited until now but that's another topic for another day.

Unless we're talking about a can't miss "Randy Moss or Julio Jones" type guy, I find it far fetched that we're going to add an impact player right away at the position. We need somebody who can compliment Andre Johnson right now. Not two or three years down the road, which is a reasonable time frame it takes most rookie wideouts to develop into a legit two if not a pro bowler. By then Andre Johnson will already be washed up and near retirement.

Our window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl, at least with Andre Johnson still performing at an elite level, is likely 2013, 2014 and 2015. Three more seasons at best. I can't imagine he'll still be as good nearing 35 years old going into 2016 with 13 years of NFL experience under his belt.

We need a big free agent signing if we expect to find that immediate help at the number two wide receiver position. It sucks we failed to sign Reggie Wayne last off-season -- after Andre Johnson tried to recruit his fellow Miami Hurricane friend, but now we need to try and land the big name wideout in free agency this off-season. Whoever it may be.

Another rookie wide receiver isn't going to do "JACK" for us. And I'm only being nice when I say that. We need an established difference maker if we expect to compliment a still productive Andre Johnson.
Very solid post & agree with everything (would love to add a Greg Jennings) but its simply not true that a rookie WR can't do jack for this team @ a clear position of need like receiver. Austin, as discussed would impact this offense immediately with his speed alone. He can create separation underneath or over the top. Like his character too, nothing seems to big for the moment, just execute.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-26-2013   #132
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27051 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Very solid post & agree with everything (would love to add a Greg Jennings) but its simply not true that a rookie WR can't do jack for this team @ a clear position of need like receiver. Austin, as discussed would impact this offense immediately with his speed alone. He can create separation underneath or over the top. Like his character too, nothing seems to big for the moment, just execute.
I'm sure you can find a lot more instances of rookie wideouts having a big impact in their rookie season. I forgot to mention A.J. Green in my last post along with guys like Randy Moss and Julio Jones. I was just naming guys off the top of my head. But most of the time you're not going to find a wide receiver, especially late in the first round, who will come in and light the world on fire.

Dez Bryant from the Dallas Cowboys, for example, if you look at his production during his first three years in the NFL... That's usually the norm when it comes to a wide receiver developing in the pros. It's going to take two or three years before we know if we hit a home run or not with our rookie wideout. And like I said, by then we'll be in the market for a new number one because Andre Johnson will already be on the decline.

But my point being is that it generally takes two or three years for most rookie wide receivers to flourish into a good player. Gary Kubiak mentioned a few days ago that he believes players make their biggest leap from year one to year two, and he is hoping Keshawn Martin becomes a more consistent playmaker next season.

We already have too many young wide receivers on our roster. I know it's unfortunate DeVier Posey is injured at the moment, but I'd rather give Lestar Jean or Jeff Maehl a good and hard look going into next season.

If I were the Texans GM (and I know many of us would love to trade jobs with Rick Smith), I would release Kevin Walter and try to find the cap space to add a good and proven veteran wide receiver in free agency. I would even consider trading our 27th pick in round one if it could land us a good wide receiver via a trade.

I wouldn't even spend one draft pick on any wide receiver in this draft. In any round. Perhaps sign a couple undrafted rookie wideouts at best. To come to camp and compete with the other young guys we already have. And by that I'm only talking about 3-6 on the depth chart. We can probably keep a few on the practice squad.

We need immediate help right now at the number two wide receiver position to compliment Andre Johnson (while he's still a beast). If the Texans make the right moves this off-season we can definitely win the Super Bowl next year. But if they think they're going to land a difference maker at wide receiver with the 27th overall pick -- they're setting themselves up for disappointment yet again. We may as well just give the AFC to the Patriots right now...
Old 02-26-2013   #133
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really see the Texans' guy here if they still want a WR, an "outside" guy who can truly "spread" the field and still be of sufficient size & physicality to be a downfield blocker as Kubiak expects his WRs to be in his offense. Two early favs were Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins & Baylor's Terrance Williams, but both were unable to crack 4.5, so that's an issue for a receiver you want to possess the kind of long-speed needed to attract over-top coverage from a safety for assisting the corner on deep routes.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #134
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
At the end of the day, Owen Daniels is the Texans #2 receiver!!

Signed, Shannon Sharpe!
Serious Question. Has OD ever performed at Shannon Sharpe's level? I mean SS is a HOFer
Old 02-26-2013   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post

Reggie Wayne was never on the market.
Quote:
The Colts drafted Reggie Wayne in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft. After an 11-year career, it appeared that Wayne would be hawking his wares eleswhere in free agency. Turns out, he's not leaving Indianapolis: after being without a team for roughly five hours, he signed a three-year contract with the Colts Tuesday night, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported via Twitter.
He was never really a FA. You can't really say "we failed" when he was never really available.
Old 02-26-2013   #136
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8908 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Wallace would be an amazing compliment. Then I remember Matt Schaub probably can't out throw him.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Mike Wallace would be an amazing compliment. Then I remember Matt Schaub probably can't out throw him.
Not a problem if he can adjust to the ball in the air.
Old 02-26-2013   #138
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Serious Question. Has OD ever performed at Shannon Sharpe's level? I mean SS is a HOFer

Eh, maybe 2008 and this season going on receptions/yards but they don't compare to Sharpe's best seasons, just his good ones. He went over 1k a few times (which OD never did) and routinely found the endzone too which of course is something we kind of wish we had around here. Seemed a magnet for touchdowns back then.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #139
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
While I highly doubt it can happen due to cap and blah, I don't think we should look at a speed receiver and only think 'Schaub can't get it to him' (which he probably can't, heh). But guys like Wallace are playmakers who can take that slant and make 5 yards into 10 yards. They can get open quicker on these short/intermediate patterns meaning Schaub could get the ball out that much quicker and do something after the catch. That is something that has been severely lacking.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #140
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Eh, maybe 2008 and this season going on receptions/yards but they don't compare to Sharpe's best seasons, just his good ones. He went over 1k a few times (which OD never did) and routinely found the endzone too which of course is something we kind of wish we had around here. Seemed a magnet for touchdowns back then.
While OD has some YAC capability, he's nothing compared to Sharpe. That man had burst & speed & strength. He would score from 25 & 30 yards out on the regular. OD isn't in that class.

In OD's defense, nobody is. Not even Gronk or Jimmy Graham.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read