Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-09-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Importance of Football Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Every team that wins has some badboys on it. The key is that a team has 1 badboy who's a leader, who can party with the hardest partiers, but when it comes time to work they are not only willing to work but the party players will follow his lead. (Example Lewis/Irvin)

Yes, every team would love to all Watt/Cushing etc.... on it. Point is for every John Lynch you find, you'll find a thousand Barber/Keo's of the world. Give me the guy with talent. The higher the rd you pick a guy in the greater the risk. But the greater the reward. That's why a guy like Mathieu is a better bet in the 4/5th rd than a guy like Rodgers in the 1st. But if you draft Rodgers in the 1st at 27 and hit, then you get the best WR in the draft. IMHO

It comes down to how much $$$$ are you willing to risk on a guy like Rodgers who has a great work ethic, but has character (Pot) flaws. Irvin was drafted 9the by the Cowboys and became a HOF. Guys like Lawrence Phillips (domestic violence) busts out.

This is the risk and I dont blame BoB/Rick/Gary for not being willing to risk high draft picks/$$$$ on guys like these. But in rds 4-7 that's where you can find guys with 1-2nd rd talent if your willing to take these risks. If they fail you really haven't lost anything. ($$$$ wise) If they hit your ahead of the game. BoB/Rick/Gary are still unwilling to take these risks and this is where I disagree with their philosophy. They are too conservative for my taste.

BTW, Why cant Angelo find another GM job? There were many GM jobs open this yr and nobody even interviewed him except for the Jets who could barely give the GM job away. This speaks volumes about how Angelo is viewed around the league. Kind of like Casserly.
To be completely open, it wasn't just numerous pot issues as he had run-ins with coaches including the strength coach.
Old 02-09-2013   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I like how people are arguing that an NFL team needs *******s or arrest records in order to win big games, citing teams like the Steelers or Cowboys as examples. Coaching? Scheme? Talent? Chemistry between egos and personalities? Nah, it's all about those sweet embarrassing news stories that will come out about players on the team that make the difference. It's good that we have a lot of postershere, close enough to the team that they have a deep knowledge of the inner workings and the day to day activities of the Texans, so they can come by here and casually drop their knowledge of the Texans lack of a vocal leader (Brian Cushing, JJ Watt) or some bad boys/rule breakers (Cushing again [roids], Brown [roids again], Posey [NCAA suspension], Brahman [cultivation of psilocybin], Smith [multiple fines for unsportsmanlike conduct]). Nope, our buddies here have got the inside scoop just for you.
Old 02-09-2013   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
To be completely open, it wasn't just numerous pot issues as he had run-ins with coaches including the strength coach.
True

Dooley (in over his head) hired a former Marine as his S&C coach. Those type of personalities are not for most underprivileged college kids. (Not making excuses for Rodgers) Not saying that I would pick Rodgers, but if he interviewed well I would.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I like how people are arguing that an NFL team needs *******s or arrest records in order to win big games, citing teams like the Steelers or Cowboys as examples. Coaching? Scheme? Talent? Chemistry between egos and personalities? Nah, it's all about those sweet embarrassing news stories that will come out about players on the team that make the difference. It's good that we have a lot of postershere, close enough to the team that they have a deep knowledge of the inner workings and the day to day activities of the Texans, so they can come by here and casually drop their knowledge of the Texans lack of a vocal leader (Brian Cushing, JJ Watt) or some bad boys/rule breakers (Cushing again [roids], Brown [roids again], Posey [NCAA suspension], Brahman [cultivation of psilocybin], Smith [multiple fines for unsportsmanlike conduct]). Nope, our buddies here have got the inside scoop just for you.
Not following you.

If this post was directed at me, I was just giving a historical perspective of how most great teams are built.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read