Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pollard Played With 6 Cracked Ribs

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Can't even imagine playing safety like that. Here's another one tough mutha that got away.

Baltimore Ravens strong safety played through the pain

By Aaron Wilson The Baltimore Sun

8:41 p.m. EST, February 4, 2013
NEW ORLEANS -- -

Ravens strong safety Bernard Pollard, one of the hardest hitters in the league, played the majority of the season with six cracked ribs.

Pollard first got hurt against the Philadelphia Eagles in the second game, aggravating the injury against the Washington Redskins and missing the final three games of the regular season.

Pollard hadn't previously disclosed the extent of his injury, but acknowledged what he had played through since the season is over and opponents won't be targeting his ailment

"It's tough dealing with pain," said Pollard, who led the Ravens with 98 tackles as well as recording two sacks and a forced fumble. "For us as football players, we know we're going to go through it. At the same time, that's the name of the game. Six of them, yep. Hey, it's up to us to go out there and play and we did."

AJ-80

Waterboy
Wow. Gained alot of respect for him after this. Not saying that he is the model-citizen of the league, but that takes guts. Is it just me or did he really step his game up after he left for Baltimore?

silvrhand

All Pro
Wow,,,,,,amazing how much people cannot give the man credit after the Texans released him....
Pollard is great long as he has Ed Reed backing him up, otherwise he gets exposed in coverage. You've seen this as well, his time here in Houston he was a heavy hitter, great teammate, but got exposed in coverage without one of the best safeties to play the game.

I'm not knocking him, just it is what it is, he's in a better situation in Baltimore than he is here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow,,,,,,amazing how much people cannot give the man credit after the Texans released him....
You mean other than the people posting in this thread?

anyway......

I wonder if the NFL is going to fine the Ravens for not disclosing this injury.

handswarmer

Rookie
Pollard is great long as he has Ed Reed backing him up, otherwise he gets exposed in coverage. You've seen this as well, his time here in Houston he was a heavy hitter, great teammate, but got exposed in coverage without one of the best safeties to play the game.

I'm not knocking him, just it is what it is, he's in a better situation in Baltimore than he is here.
Couldn't be wronger

handswarmer

Rookie
You mean other than the people posting in this thread?

anyway......

I wonder if the NFL is going to fine the Ravens for not disclosing this injury.
Think he broke them earlier and was listed: he missed thelast three games of the regular season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Think he broke them earlier and was listed: he missed thelast three games of the regular season.
He was listed the game after the 2nd week fracture only (fastest healing rib fracture I've ever seen), and not again until the 9th week through the game before the SB.......then mysteriously was taken off the week of the SB.

But when it comes to listing players on the Injury Report, there are those who are completely convinced and swear that we are so fortunate that our Texans always play it so honest and straight forward when it comes to the Report.:kitten:

eriadoc

Texan-American
Pollard has never been a strong cover guy. It's not what he does. He knocks the piss out of people. And I wish he was still doing it for the Texans.

Hagar

Drink up yall, its the Texans!
Pollard has never been a strong cover guy. It's not what he does. He knocks the piss out of people. And I wish he was still doing it for the Texans.
I agree. Pollard was great in the box but the Texans have never had a good free safety so his weakness became more exposed. The best thing he did was be an enforcer over the middle. If you came over the middle, you paid for it. The Texans miss his swagger.

I can't remember if Wade was here by the time he left, but I would have liked to see him blitz in Wade's defense.

I wish we had both him and Leach.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I can tell you from experience .... they are. It hurts every time you blink .... much less knock the piss outa someone.
Having sustained 3 fractured ribs accompanied by a punctured lung, has made me very empathetic to my patients who have experienced that injury. For 3 weeks, every time I took a breath, I would feel excruciating pain and hear a clicking noise from the movement of the fractured ends. There is only one effective homeopathic solution to the pain as an alternative to the use of heavy narcotics or direct injection of the sensory nerves around the involved ribs. Most patients find it quite impractical........just stop breathing.......:tiphat:

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Having sustained 3 fractured ribs accompanied by a punctured lung, has made me very empathetic to my patients who have experienced that injury. For 3 weeks, every time I took a breath, I would feel excruciating pain and hear a clicking noise from the movement of the fractured ends. There is only one effective homeopathic solution to the pain as an alternative to the use of heavy narcotics or direct injection of the sensory nerves around the involved ribs. Most patients find it quite impractical........just stop breathing.......:tiphat:
I cracked a rib twice...once jumping on a sled in Colorado and another..of all places...falling on the point of a football in flag football. Both times I heard a crunch and both times I had about 2 weeks of not being able to sneeze, roll over in bed or do much without wincing. Painful things.