Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

RGIII: Rookie of the Year

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Griffin was chosen by an Associated Press panel of media members, and his selection was officially announced at an NFL Honors event that will be broadcast by CBS later on Saturday night.

After a Heisman Trophy-winning 2011 season at Baylor, Griffin was selected with the second overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft by the Redskins. He was tremendous as a rookie, and he was the favorite to win the offensive rookie of the year award, although Colts quarterback Andrew Luck and Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson also would have been fine selections. Griffin got 29 votes from the 50-member panel, with Luck getting 11 and Wilson 10.
REST OF STORY

Congrats to RGIII. I hope he's okay.

Luck 11, Wilson 10?

Sorry, but Wilson was clearly the better ROY candidate imo. I'm not sure he didn't win it outright.

I believe the votes were in BEFORE the playoffs. Had they been cast I believe the results would be different in this case.

In just about any other year, Russell Wilson would have won ROY. In most years, the season that Andrew Luck had would have garnered the award. But in my eyes, Griffin had the best season a rookie QB has ever had. He was amazing.

In just about any other year, Russell Wilson would have won ROY. In most years, the season that Andrew Luck had would have garnered the award. But in my eyes, Griffin had the best season a rookie QB has ever had. He was amazing.

I think you can say the same for all three. Russell Wilson was as good as Griffin in every respect, though different, Andrew Luck's season was equally impressive.

I can't say anyone of them had "the best rookie season ever" but there's no doubt in my mind 2012 is going down in the history books.

I think the OROY vote should have been more evenly split.

Name the rookie QB that had the better season.

Imo it's Russell Wilson. I would think there are many who think it was Andrew Luck. They all had great seasons. But I think Wilson had the better season, not by much, but better.

^^^^
This

I would've voted Luck over Wilson though. Luck took a team that was in total rebuild mode and made the playoffs. Wilson had a great season and any other yr owuld have won the award. However the Seashawks were loaded and the QB (Wilson) was just the final piece.

Imo it's Russell Wilson. I would think there are many who think it was Andrew Luck. They all had great seasons. But I think Wilson had the better season, not by much, but better.
In what respect was WIlson better than Griffin. Griffin had more passing yards, more rushing yards, and a higher QB rating than Wilson. Griffin turned over the ball 7 times (amazing for a rookie) compared to Wilson's 13 (still very good). Luck was great in the 4th quarter, but a turnover machine otherwise.

I don't want to knock Wilson, or even Luck. They were outstanding. But by just about every metric, Griffin had the edge.

Luck was great in the 4th quarter, but a turnover machine otherwise..

Luck was bipolar in the 4th. In the first half of the 4th he was pretty miserable (3 TD's 6 INT's) and then really good in the last 7 minutes of the 4th (4 TD's 1 INT).

How good was this rookie class?

How many years would these two performances NOT with OROY???

-ALFRED MORRIS 1,613 YDS(100+ yds/game), 13 TDS

-DOUG MARTIN 1,454 YDS, 12 TDS

I don't want to knock Wilson, or even Luck. They were outstanding. But by just about every metric, Griffin had the edge.

If anything, it's the edge they are so close.

The main reason I would give the edge to Wilson, is because he was the one that took me most by surprise. When Luck & RG3 go 1&2 in the draft, there's a level of expectation that wasn't there with Wilson. Even though RG3 & Luck blew those expectations out of the water, Wilson went nuclear.

Though the numbers are comparable & Griffin's take the edge.... I think what Wilson accomplished is more impressive.

SALISBURY, N.C. -- A few NFL points after a few days on the road:
Barring a setback, there's little doubt Robert Griffin III plays the opener. Griffin had major knee surgery 21 weeks ago. Washington's opener is 13 weeks from tonight. After watching him run sprints around the practice field Thursday, I agree with what Griffin said post-practice: "Without a doubt'' he thinks he'll be practicing with the team when it begins training camp in Richmond in late July ... and, of course, that he'll be ready to go Sept. 9 against the Eagles. Here's what Griffin did Thursday: He sprinted without a limp the 53-yard width of the end zone. Then, at nearly full speed, he planted his twice-surgically repaired right knee and pivoted left, up the sideline of the practice field. It wasn't the planting and cutting he'll have to do in games, of course. But it's close. I get zero sense that the team thinks he won't be ready to play Sept. 9.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...ing-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2VubLupoM
Pretty remarkable comeback I'd say.

SALISBURY, N.C. -- A few NFL points after a few days on the road:
Barring a setback, there's little doubt Robert Griffin III plays the opener.
Pretty remarkable comeback I'd say.

Good luck to him. Hopefully Shanny didn't wreck him.

Back