Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-29-2013   #1
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rob Ryan is back on the market

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...or-jeff-fisher
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #2
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rob Ryan is back on the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
Karma. Beautiful karma. That's a long 5 minutes you overrated piece of crap.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #3
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

One of my fellow ticketholders and I were just discussing the "long five minutes" and what could have possibly happened the he was abruptly fired by the Cowboys. Nobody buys the poor play in the Seattle and Redskins games, and Cowboys usually don't publish personnel issues.

Then the next day, the Rams announced that he would be joining the team, and I then thought, oh well, finally. Now this announcement gives me the feeling that much more happened than will possibly ever be revealed. For starters though, if the boss is pissed and tells you things aren't going to be good at the office, don't immediately go on vacation.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Karma. Beautiful karma. That's a long 5 minutes you overrated piece of crap.
From what I read today it was HIS decision. They wanted to keep running a version o the 4-3 and he couldn't pick his staff so he said no. So it wasn't like he got shunned.

I think the guys personality is abrasive but he got completely scapegoated this year. The defense bailed them out in many, many games where the offense did nothing for 3 quarters and then the offense would click in the 4th when the D was worn down. I'd rather they'd ditch Garrett than Ryan but both wouldn't have bothered me either.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...louis-rams-job

Quote:
The bottom line, according to a source, is that Ryan declined the defensive coordinator position due to hesitations from coaching a 4-3 system and not being able to pick his assistants.

"He wanted it to work, and I just think he realized over the weekend that it was not (a fit)," a source told Thomas. "Rob was torn."

Ryan and his wife were in St. Louis over the weekend and he even attended a Blues game. The team was prepared to make an announcement Friday, then early this week, then everything changed. Ryan reportedly worried if he could get another coordinator job if things didn't work out in St. Louis. And if he's going down, he's going down with his own system (3-4) and assistants. That wasn't possible in St. Louis.
Old 01-30-2013   #5
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I was stunned he was hired in the first place. Fisher is the HC, but he is a defensive minded coach. Fisher is a 4-3 guy and Ryan is a 3-4 DC. Why hire a 3-4 guy and then tell him he must coach a 4-3? If you want a coach for a 4-3...hire a 4-3 coach!

That's like having a team with a top 5 QB, top 5 passing game and trying to call a game where you hand it off 50 times a game.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74500 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Fisher played DB for Ryan back in the day, so I think he knows the family.
And, not coincidentally, Jeff Fisher was first hired by the Oilers to replace Buddy Ryan when Buddy went to the Cardinals. Floyd Reese was the GM, and was on record saying he wanted to keep the same basic system in place.
Old 01-31-2013   #7
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think criticism of Rob Ryan for this move is unwarranted, the guy has turned down an opportunity to coach but by the same token if he didn't think it was going to work then its a classy move to say so rather than cashing your paycheck for a couple of years. Would have been much easier for him short term to take the job on offer.

Still don't like the guy but can't see anything wrong in what he's done here.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I think criticism of Rob Ryan for this move is unwarranted, the guy has turned down an opportunity to coach but by the same token if he didn't think it was going to work then its a classy move to say so rather than cashing your paycheck for a couple of years. Would have been much easier for him short term to take the job on offer.

Still don't like the guy but can't see anything wrong in what he's done here.
Quote:
Ryan reportedly worried if he could get another coordinator job if things didn't work out in St. Louis. And if he's going down, he's going down with his own system (3-4) and assistants. That wasn't possible in St. Louis.
I understand the thinking, but I'd be worried about a coordinator who was "worried" that things may not work out. If he didn't think he could successfully coach a 4-3, he should have said so & this shouldn't have gotten so far. If he thought he needed control to hire his own assistants, he should have said so & this wouldn't have gotten so far.

If he told them he would think about it & they got the wrong idea, that's one thing; but it sounds like he agreed to their terms & they were prepared to make an announcement soon.

For Ryan to agree to their terms (if he did) then I wonder if he was starting to panic.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read