Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2005   #1
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default Pettway Signed

FOX just reported that the Texans and Kenneth Pettway have agreed to terms, and he becomes the first Texans rookie drafted to sign. They also had an interesting piece on C.C. Brown.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #2
TheGus
Rookie

is he good?
Old 06-16-2005   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGus
is he good?
he's a sleeper pick, played DE @ Grambling State & considered a pass rushing force, has both excellent speed (4.6/40) and size (6-4 255) Kenneth should be an excellent fit in the 3-4 as a OLB back-up for Peek. yes you could say I'm quite high on him
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #4
trutexan67
Rookie

Had an opportunity to see a few Grambling games. Pettway is legit.
trutexan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He played OLB and DE in college. Looks like a $40k signing bonus, 3 year league minimum deal.
Old 06-17-2005   #6
Cashmoney
Rookie

What is the league minimum for a rookie?
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #7
William.carter
Veteran

Thumbs up PettWay Signing

From what i've heard and read about this guy he'll be a significant investment in the future of our team. Well suited for situational plays and confusing the defense. If he can improve some fundamentals and strengthen his pass protection and coverage skills, he is a serious threat as a starting outside linebacker. Great pickup for the Texans IMHO.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2005   #8
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.carter
he is a serious threat as a starting outside linebacker.
I am pretty sure that Babin and Peek will be starting
Old 06-17-2005   #9
William.carter
Veteran

Default Pettway Signing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
I am pretty sure that Babin and Peek will be starting
I'm sorry. I should have clarified that statement. I meant in the future, and not the near future either. But for depth and as a development project for future contribution to the Texans, I think was a real gem in the late rounds like that.
Old 06-17-2005   #10
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

If he makes the team, he will be on the practice squad.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #11
William.carter
Veteran

Default Pettway Signing

Chronicle article - Pettway signing

This article in todays paper spells out the details of his contract. It will interesting to see which linebackers make the final cut. competition is deep for LB and WR this season... a good thing in my opinion.
Old 06-17-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoney
What is the league minimum for a rookie?
It changes a little each year. I think it is about $235,000 for a rookie this year.
Old 06-17-2005   #13
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.carter
Chronicle article - Pettway signing

This article in todays paper spells out the details of his contract. It will interesting to see which linebackers make the final cut. competition is deep for LB and WR this season... a good thing in my opinion.
The back-up LB's will probably wind up being Anderson, Pettway, Evans, and Zeke. Practice squad guys should wind up being DD Achonolu, R. Orr, S. Orr. That is even if we stil have the Orr's still on our payroll. Thet're not related.
Old 06-17-2005   #14
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Raheem Orr has been with the Giants for about a year...

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Im thinking Anderson, Cheatwood, Polk, and then either Orr, Evans, or Moreno.. kinda hard to decide which one though.

Orr and Evans are both special team stars.. the problem is that both (I think) are OLBs.. id say that Orr has the upper hand in this one. Moreno is a ILB.. but I dont know just how much of a special teams contributor he can be.

I would put money on Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk as depth.. but not sure on Orr, Evans, and Moreno.. everyone else is camp fodder I think.. except our starters of course. Pettway, I think, will be practice squad.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #16
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think pettway will be just like charlie anderson...no one really expects him to even make the team but he will and when someone gets hurt...he'll come in and surprise a couple of people...i think it will be him and anderson backing up the OLB's because look at guys like cheatwood and achonolu they didn't make it at first in the NFL for a reason...pettway being from grambling state means that one of our scouts saw him and thinks he can be something special and with our Linebacker coach who has a reputation for turning late round linebackers into solid starters...give pettway a chance...as for ILB's backing up wong and greenwood it will be moreno and polk...chamberlin, evans are not going to last...i think the darkhorse might be monk
Old 06-17-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
look at guys like cheatwood and achonolu they didn't make it at first in the NFL for a reason
Look at Derrick Armstrong. He didnt make it the first time around either.

Cheatwood led the CFL in sacks last season.. and was 3rd in sacks the season before.. the guy has SOMETHING going for him.. I think it will be enough to earn him a spot on the roster. We will have to see if he has the attitude for it though.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i think pettway will be just like charlie anderson...no one really expects him to even make the team but he will and when someone gets hurt...he'll come in and surprise a couple of people...i think it will be him and anderson backing up the OLB's because look at guys like cheatwood and achonolu they didn't make it at first in the NFL for a reason...pettway being from grambling state means that one of our scouts saw him and thinks he can be something special and with our Linebacker coach who has a reputation for turning late round linebackers into solid starters...give pettway a chance...as for ILB's backing up wong and greenwood it will be moreno and polk...chamberlin, evans are not going to last...i think the darkhorse might be monk

Belgian trappist Monks make some of the best beer in the world

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Im thinking Anderson, Cheatwood, Polk, and then either Orr, Evans, or Moreno.. kinda hard to decide which one though.

Orr and Evans are both special team stars.. the problem is that both (I think) are OLBs.. id say that Orr has the upper hand in this one. Moreno is a ILB.. but I dont know just how much of a special teams contributor he can be.

I would put money on Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk as depth.. but not sure on Orr, Evans, and Moreno.. everyone else is camp fodder I think.. except our starters of course. Pettway, I think, will be practice squad.
How could you say that maybe Moreno will make the team. I don't know if there is even a chance that he won't make the team. Moreno took over for Randall Godfrey in 2003 when he got hurt and in 15 games he got 96 tackles and 2 sacks with 4 passes defended. The guy has proven that he can play football at the NFL level which Orr, Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk can't say.

Last edited by TexanFan881; 06-17-2005 at 10:15 PM.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005   #20
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, and Moreno plays ILB, seems like we're loaded with OLBs. Besides the starting 4, I'd think he's got the best chance to make the team. I think the other front runners to make the team would be Anderson OLB, Polk ILB, Evans ILB, S. Orr ILB/OLB, Chamberlin ILB. Pettway will probably be practice squad until mid season. I'm thinking special teams play will play a big part in selection of these reserve LBs. This will be one of the best positions to watch in training camp for competition.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read