Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-28-2013   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL 2013 Post Senior Bowl Texan Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I just want to say I could care less about the process. I don't ever want to do a mock draft, as I have no interest in the college game. I've tried, but just can not generate the interest, until this time of the year.

I look through these mocks to learn the players, to get a feel for what we "fans" think about our team, and it helps me make up my mind on how the Texans did in the draft.

So, keep up the good work.

Would you play this guy as the UT in a 4-3?
He has the frame to easily add 15-20 lbs. without losing explosiveness while adding strength good lower bubble to hold leverage with bigger players. So yes.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #42
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Still in evaluation process coming off Combine performances but can update "Post Senior Bowl" dated mock with new info, hope some of you find insightful & how to tweak the process but tape still factors heavily for me.

1st. Rd. Datone Jones, DE/OLB, 6'4" 280, UCLA
Ranked 19th overall prospect & #4 DE in the draft by Rang. 6-4 283 lbs, 32 3/4" arm length & 10" hands. He ran impressive 4.80 forty (Watt ran 4.84). repped out 29 on bench (Watt 34). He's done nothing to change my mind & still my bpa if on the board #27.

2nd Rd. Quinton Patton, WR, 6'0" 202, Louisiana Tech

Ranked 41st overall prospect & #6th WR by Rang. 6-0 204, also 32 3/4" arms, 9 3/8" hands, only 8 reps. He ran his forty in 4.53, it's a deep class & still feel he could be available when Texans pick in the 2nd rd.

3rd. Rd. Brandon Williams, NT, 6'2" 341, Missouri Southern

Ranked 74th overall prospect & #8 in his DT class by Rang. Measured only -1 & 335 lbs. Average hand size 9 3/4" did 36 reps displaying strength as expected arm length decent 32 5/8". don't really care about his forty 5.3 more interested in his 10 yard split (unknown). Seems like early to mid 3rd rd prospect to me, very hard to be certain where he lands or how Texan Big Board ranks his skill set for Wade. Seems like a slightly bigger/stronger version of Earl Mitchell who was also a 3rd pick.

3rd. Rd. (compensatory pick for Mario): BW Webb, CB, 5'10" 183, William & Mary

Ranked 93rd overall prospect & #13 CB in class. Was impressive once again to me running his forty 4.51, 5-10 & 184 lbs. What did jump out on tape showed itself with over 40" vertical & 11ft. Broad. Explosive & decisive in drills. Solid 3rd rd. pick.

4th rd. Hugh Thornton, OG, 6'3" 313, Illinois

Added 7 lbs to 320 measured 6-3, ran decent 5.11 had really plus arm length 34 1/8". Solid core strength 27 reps good hand size 10" shuttle 4.63 (Brooks 4.52). Ranked 176th overall & #8th best OG prospect according to Rang & 5th rd. grade, but still feel off the board by time Texans would select so reason why he is in the 4th. Like his toughness & wrestling background.

5th Rd. Michael Williams, TE, 6'5" 272, Alabama
Have no idea why he wasn't invited to the combine? Ranked 228th overall prospect & 13th TE but to me he is a top 5 blocking TE with ability to start immediately. Strongly disagree with his 6th-7th rd. projection but that is good news for fans of his & Texans.

5th. Rd. (compensatory pick for Mike Brisiel) Jonathan Cyprien, S, 6'0 210 Florida International
Draft stock sky rocketed too high for my taste, 42nd overall? #2 SS prospect in the draft? 4.56 forty, 38.5 vert @ 6-0 217 lbs pretty impressive. However I will have to adjust & change to John Boyett, Oregon 5-10 204 ran 4.4 forty with 27 reps.

5th. Rd. (compensatory pick for Joel Dresseen) Jeff Locke, P, 6'0" 208 UCLA
Ranked 296th & 4th Punter in the draft by Rang.

6th. Rd. Kyle Juszczyk, FB, 6'1" 250
Ranked 163rd overall & #2 FB in the draft according to Rang.

7th. Rd. Robbie Rouse, RB 5'7" 190, Fresno State
RB rankings are trash. There is so much value, the perception is why even bother spending a pick on one? 373rd rated prospect & 27th on the board. Yet @ the combine he ranked 11th in the short shuttle 4.25, tied for 6th in 60 yard shuttle 11.56, tied for 12th in 3 cone 6.97, 12th vert 34". For comparable Alfred Morris vert last year was 35.5" 3 cone 7.01, 4.19 short shuttle & 11.86 60 yard shuttle.

7th. Rd. (compensatory pick for Jason Allen) Vince Williams, ILB, 6'1" 250, Florida State
Ranked 249th & 10th overall ILB prospect by Rang. Good value & still solid selection but have upgraded need/player coming in next version.
Nice job overall! I am working on my post combine mock and wanted to offer some feedback.

1. I actually thought his 40 time was a bit slower than expected. Watt who is almost 2 inches taller and almost 15 lbs heavier ran it only 0.04 second slower. That said, 40 times for DL aren't what is important to me, I am more interested in bench(for strength) and cone drills, and 10 yard splits for agility, athleticism. I need to look up his times. However, the eyeball test tells me that he is a potential 2 DL positional player. For me that is what is important considering the lack of help on the rest of the UCLA DL.

2. The WRs are a mystery to me. I literally have no idea who will be available at the 1st round pick let alone the second. I maintain that there are probably 10 good wrs who would help this team in the short and longterm. Patton is one of those guys and I would be happy with him here.

3. Ah!!! My boy BW! Yes. I agree he is a stronger, bigger, version of Earl Mitchell. To me, thats a great thing. Earl is good for what he is, but he gets pushed around a bit too much. A bigger version would allow Wade more room for error. I also think he mid 2nd-mid 3rd. Big reasonably athletic 330lbs NTs don't grow on trees and tend to get selected early on day 2.

3. VERY explosive, small school prospect. I hate to say sleeper because everyone knows who he is. Good speed, size, and able to play man. Not sure about zone, but he looks like a good fit for man.

4. Agree he should be off the board by the fourth. Good prospect, nice wrestling background. My fear is that he is only a OG prospect. Not nimble enough to play C, not strong enough to play OT. I would prefer a more versatile OL.

5. I keep coming back to him too. I have flirted with numerous other TEs, but I keep coming back to big Mike. Superior blocking means immediate starter and ability to catch means defenses have to be honest. I cant tell you how much time I spent trying to find combine numbers and reports on him only to realize he wasn't invited!!!

5. John Boyett: an Oregon product. Athletic, speedy. Don't know much about him, so will defer to you here.

5. Locke looked good...unfortunately too good at the combine and senior bowl. I could see him as a 4th rounder in the draft. Much as I like him, I can't quite spend a 4th on him. If he is here in the fifth, I'd probably pull a muscle running up to the podium!

6. Can't argue too much with Kyle Juszczyk. I prefer Boren only because I think he could be acquired later and has potential as a LB as well.

7. Pass. He is 5'6, 190lbs and he runs a 4.8 40. At his size, he should be somewhere in the 4.4 range, not the 4.8 range. He was running the same speed as people who outweighed him by 30+lbs. Small and slow is not a good combination.

7. LOVE it!. I have him as a 6th round pick in the mock I am working on. I agree he is a great fit as the #2 ILB in the Wade 3-4 and would provide excellent depth. He is a 2 down LB at best and quite frankly a good 2 down LB next to Cush is exactly what the team needs.

A well thought out, well scouted, and very good mock. Then again, BL, I would expect nothing less from you!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Nice job overall! I am working on my post combine mock and wanted to offer some feedback.

1. I actually thought his 40 time was a bit slower than expected. Watt who is almost 2 inches taller and almost 15 lbs heavier ran it only 0.04 second slower. That said, 40 times for DL aren't what is important to me, I am more interested in bench(for strength) and cone drills, and 10 yard splits for agility, athleticism. I need to look up his times. However, the eyeball test tells me that he is a potential 2 DL positional player. For me that is what is important considering the lack of help on the rest of the UCLA DL.

2. The WRs are a mystery to me. I literally have no idea who will be available at the 1st round pick let alone the second. I maintain that there are probably 10 good wrs who would help this team in the short and longterm. Patton is one of those guys and I would be happy with him here.

3. Ah!!! My boy BW! Yes. I agree he is a stronger, bigger, version of Earl Mitchell. To me, thats a great thing. Earl is good for what he is, but he gets pushed around a bit too much. A bigger version would allow Wade more room for error. I also think he mid 2nd-mid 3rd. Big reasonably athletic 330lbs NTs don't grow on trees and tend to get selected early on day 2.

3. VERY explosive, small school prospect. I hate to say sleeper because everyone knows who he is. Good speed, size, and able to play man. Not sure about zone, but he looks like a good fit for man.

4. Agree he should be off the board by the fourth. Good prospect, nice wrestling background. My fear is that he is only a OG prospect. Not nimble enough to play C, not strong enough to play OT. I would prefer a more versatile OL.

5. I keep coming back to him too. I have flirted with numerous other TEs, but I keep coming back to big Mike. Superior blocking means immediate starter and ability to catch means defenses have to be honest. I cant tell you how much time I spent trying to find combine numbers and reports on him only to realize he wasn't invited!!!

5. John Boyett: an Oregon product. Athletic, speedy. Don't know much about him, so will defer to you here.

5. Locke looked good...unfortunately too good at the combine and senior bowl. I could see him as a 4th rounder in the draft. Much as I like him, I can't quite spend a 4th on him. If he is here in the fifth, I'd probably pull a muscle running up to the podium!

6. Can't argue too much with Kyle Juszczyk. I prefer Boren only because I think he could be acquired later and has potential as a LB as well.

7. Pass. He is 5'6, 190lbs and he runs a 4.8 40. At his size, he should be somewhere in the 4.4 range, not the 4.8 range. He was running the same speed as people who outweighed him by 30+lbs. Small and slow is not a good combination.

7. LOVE it!. I have him as a 6th round pick in the mock I am working on. I agree he is a great fit as the #2 ILB in the Wade 3-4 and would provide excellent depth. He is a 2 down LB at best and quite frankly a good 2 down LB next to Cush is exactly what the team needs.

A well thought out, well scouted, and very good mock. Then again, BL, I would expect nothing less from you!

Thank you.

This was just an overview of prospect post senior bowl incorporating aspects from Combine. My actual Post Combine Mock will change. More accurate (I hope relative to current trends & grades).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-28-2013   #44
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

1st. Rd. Datone Jones, DE/OLB, 6'4" 280, UCLA

No way we draft a 280lb DE in the first round. He is to small to be a full time starter at NT. There are better players at his position that fit our defense better.

2nd Rd. Quinton Patton, WR, 6'0" 202, Louisiana Tech

Would not complain at all if we got him at the end of the second round.

3rd. Rd. Brandon Williams, NT, 6'2" 341, Missouri Southern

No way he last this long. Would love it if he did.

3rd. Rd. (compensatory pick for Mario): BW Webb, CB, 5'10" 183, William & Mary

DB's are my kryptonite. Just so hard to scout.

4th rd. Hugh Thornton, OG, 6'3" 313, Illinois

Could do worse.

5th Rd. Michael Williams, TE, 6'5" 272, Alabama

Love this pick. I also want us to draft him around here.

5th. Rd. (compensatory pick for Mike Brisiel)
John Boyett, Oregon 5-10 204 ran 4.4 forty with 27 reps.

need to check him out.

5th. Rd. (compensatory pick for Joel Dresseen) Jeff Locke, P, 6'0" 208 UCLA
Ranked 296th & 4th Punter in the draft by Rang.

If you want a P why not draft the best one?

6th. Rd. Kyle Juszczyk, FB, 6'1" 250

Good player but does he bring anything to the table that Klutz doesn't?

7th. Rd. Robbie Rouse, RB 5'7" 190, Fresno State
RB rankings are trash.

Rather keep Forsett

7th. Rd. (compensatory pick for Jason Allen) Vince Williams, ILB, 6'1" 250, Florida State

I love this pick. I want us to draft him. I don't care that he wasn't invited to the combine, I would draft him as early as the 5th.
Old 02-28-2013   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

This mock is over 4 weeks old. I just wanted to give you guys an example of how fluid the process is, how & why it changes even why team needs stay, more or less constant. I will post the real McCoy after free agency when specific needs can be addressed that impact draft priorities.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read