Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

THE "UNKNOWNS" (kinda)

hellojohnnyboi

Practice Squad
I keep mentioning this but I really beleive the team revolves around special teams role players....

Troy Evans(#54) and Jason Bell(#33) are always out there on kick-offs calling for the fans to get in the game. It works for me!

Also, I think some of the partially "unknowns" on the team are great players who need some more PT are Jammal Lord(a quaterback turn running back turn safety....how can't you love him?), Charlie Anderson(just remember that fumble recovery ran back 60 yrds for the score), Demarcus Faggins(had the 10th most tackles on the team and tied for third in interceptons), Derrick Armstrong(statistics show that if he would have had as many receptions as AJ he would have had about 1050 yrds receiving)

THESE GUYS NEED SOME SERIOUS PT!

THEFUTURE

Rookie
Demarcus Faggins, Charlie Anderson, and Derrick Armstrong are by no means unknown. Faggins is a fan favorite, a lot of praise has been given to charlie by the coaches, and is a strong second string LB, and Derrick Armstrong is more known than a lot of the players on this team. give him as many passes as AJ tho, thats a little off, you expect Carr to complete another 50 passes, which means david would have to have thrown 80 more passes, which is unlikely.

hellojohnnyboi

Practice Squad
No what I am saying is that if (not saying that it is possible) but if Derrick were to receive that many passes he would've come close to AJ receiving total. If the two were to swich reception totals it would have looked something like this last year...

Derrick Armstrong
79 receptions
1130 yards
14.3 ypr
7 TD

Andre Johnson
29 receptions
421 yards
14.5 ypr
5 TD

^^^^those are what I think the probable stats would be

i calculated them by receptions multiplied by yards per receptions(ypr) equals the total reception yards. The number of touchdowns is what I think they would rack up.

THEFUTURE

Rookie
but the fact is that derrick armstrong cant produce like that. he isnt a teams number one, and if he was the texans main option, then we would be in trouble. the reason he got the receptions he did, is because AJ was drawing so much coverage, and take away Armstrong's Minnesota game, and his numbers are not that impressive, that it allowed armstrong to make the plays he made. he is not a game breaker, and would not put up those numbers if he was the teams 1st option

TheTim5125

Waterboy
don't forget about kendrick starling... for some reason he stands out probably because he was the first man to the ball after alot of the punts and kick offs.

TheTim5125 said:
don't forget about kendrick starling... for some reason he stands out probably because he was the first man to the ball after alot of the punts and kick offs.
Yeah... he's a heck of a gunner!

Vinny

shiny happy fan
F-minus67 said:
Is Lord even ready enough to be a decent back up?
We will find out in a few months. Nobody knows how much he progressed in the last year. Camp and the pre-season will tell us what we need to know.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Big B Texan Fan said:
I think we'll be hearing Pettways' name alot on special teams plays.
Does anyone else feel this is why we have so many LBs in camp? For ST standouts? I do.

vtech9

All Pro
hellojohnnyboi said:
I keep mentioning this but I really beleive the team revolves around special teams role players....

Troy Evans(#54) and Jason Bell(#33) are always out there on kick-offs calling for the fans to get in the game. It works for me!

Also, I think some of the partially "unknowns" on the team are great players who need some more PT are Jammal Lord(a quaterback turn running back turn safety....how can't you love him?), Charlie Anderson(just remember that fumble recovery ran back 60 yrds for the score), Demarcus Faggins(had the 10th most tackles on the team and tied for third in interceptons), Derrick Armstrong(statistics show that if he would have had as many receptions as AJ he would have had about 1050 yrds receiving)

THESE GUYS NEED SOME SERIOUS PT!
Actually, I'm having serious doubts about Evans and Bell making the team this year. I believe the team has advanced to the point that being a special teams standout isn't enough to make this team anymore.

THEFUTURE

Rookie
vtech9 said:
Actually, I'm having serious doubts about Evans and Bell making the team this year. I believe the team has advanced to the point that being a special teams standout isn't enough to make this team anymore.
i dont know about that, being a special teams standout, might be the only thing that keeps some players here, ie jonathan wells before he got some PT because of injuries to DD.. look at Peek, all he was, was a ST standout and a second stringer, and now he is a starter, being a standout is what keeps you there, being average is what gets you the boot

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
THEFUTURE said:
i dont know about that, being a special teams standout, might be the only thing that keeps some players here, ie jonathan wells before he got some PT because of injuries to DD.. look at Peek, all he was, was a ST standout and a second stringer, and now he is a starter, being a standout is what keeps you there, being average is what gets you the boot
I think what he was getting at was being only a special teams guy. The Texans have been willing to carry Wells and Peek at #2 on the depth chart and have them start games when injuries occured in addition to ST. Heck there have been times when fans have called for both to get starts instead of a healthy starter. Is there any scenario where you actually want Evans to start a game at LB other than he is the last one walking?

now hes not an "unkown" but hes not real well known and that is jason simmons. this guy always gets the crowd excited and i love to watch him play. he hits just as hard if not harder than Robinson does.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
TopTexanFan16 said:
now hes not an "unkown" but hes not real well known and that is jason simmons. this guy always gets the crowd excited and i love to watch him play. he hits just as hard if not harder than Robinson does.
He does hit just as hard if not harder than Robinson. But that is a good example of peoples' concern about Robinson injurying himself. Great hit Simmons made on Chris Brown but it knocked both of them out of the game.

infantrycak said:
He does hit just as hard if not harder than Robinson. But that is a good example of peoples' concern about Robinson injurying himself. Great hit Simmons made on Chris Brown but it knocked both of them out of the game.
Yea and actually Simmons missed more time than Brown did.

THEFUTURE

Rookie
infantrycak said:
I think what he was getting at was being only a special teams guy. The Texans have been willing to carry Wells and Peek at #2 on the depth chart and have them start games when injuries occured in addition to ST. Heck there have been times when fans have called for both to get starts instead of a healthy starter. Is there any scenario where you actually want Evans to start a game at LB other than he is the last one walking?
yeah but at a time, wells wasnt a second stringer, he was in the position of Evans and a 3rd stringer, playing behind DD and Hollings, all im saying, is that if you are a special teams standout, and a 3rd stringer, you deserve to be here more than say the players that are just special teams players, and are not making themselves known at all... its not like every player on the roster makes a contribution soley on offense or defense, so why not keep some of the bigger contributors that play special teams
i would say about 1/4 of the players on the team are soley ST players

vtech9

All Pro
THEFUTURE said:
yeah but at a time, wells wasnt a second stringer, he was in the position of Evans and a 3rd stringer, playing behind DD and Hollings, all im saying, is that if you are a special teams standout, and a 3rd stringer, you deserve to be here more than say the players that are just special teams players, and are not making themselves known at all... its not like every player on the roster makes a contribution soley on offense or defense, so why not keep some of the bigger contributors that play special teams
i would say about 1/4 of the players on the team are soley ST players
Last year was a whole different ball game...last year we didn't lose much by keeping a special teams only player, but this year and in years to come, it is going to be harder and harder for these players to make the team. The Texans are wanting to improve. In so doing, players that do not contribute at their assigned position will fall to the wayside and be replaced with younger, faster, better, players that can contribute at their position and also play special teams.

Let me put it this way...The Texans are pretty high on Chris McKenzie, and he could fill Jason Bell's role as gunner on special teams. Now, would you rather keep Bell as a special teams only guy and lose Chris McKenzie, or would you rather keep the young promising player and cut ties with Bell? Chris McKenzie is not guaranteed to make the team and if Bell stays, Chris McKenzie probably doesn't. Honestly, I would rather keep Chris McKenzie, who has a much bigger upside, and let him grow as a player, and cut ties with Bell, who has reached his peak.

THEFUTURE

Rookie
vtech9 said:
Last year was a whole different ball game...last year we didn't lose much by keeping a special teams only player, but this year and in years to come, it is going to be harder and harder for these players to make the team. The Texans are wanting to improve. In so doing, players that do not contribute at their assigned position will fall to the wayside and be replaced with younger, faster, better, players that can contribute at their position and also play special teams.

Let me put it this way...The Texans are pretty high on Chris McKenzie, and he could fill Jason Bell's role as gunner on special teams. Now, would you rather keep Bell as a special teams only guy and lose Chris McKenzie, or would you rather keep the young promising player and cut ties with Bell? Chris McKenzie is not guaranteed to make the team and if Bell stays, Chris McKenzie probably doesn't. Honestly, I would rather keep Chris McKenzie, who has a much bigger upside, and let him grow as a player, and cut ties with Bell, who has reached his peak.
true, but just because you keep mckenzie, doesnt mean that bell is the first player off the list. im sure there are other players, that are strictly special teams players, that could be cut, before bell.. im not saying that we need to keep bell, im all for the best final roster possible. im just saying, if there are 2 or 3 guys taht are ST standouts, i would rather get rid of the other 8-9 guys, that dont produce on offense or defense, and are also, not a standout on special teams, because there are some of those guys, that should be gone first, rather than your most talented ST players

Dom is excited @ the fact that the decision on cuts is getting harder. It means you're getting better as a team. We'll have a few new "Unknowns" this year. Thank gosh that the practice squad went from a 5 man roster to an 8 man roster last year. We can keep a few guys around a little longer just in case.

vtech9

All Pro
THEFUTURE said:
true, but just because you keep mckenzie, doesnt mean that bell is the first player off the list. im sure there are other players, that are strictly special teams players, that could be cut, before bell.. im not saying that we need to keep bell, im all for the best final roster possible. im just saying, if there are 2 or 3 guys taht are ST standouts, i would rather get rid of the other 8-9 guys, that dont produce on offense or defense, and are also, not a standout on special teams, because there are some of those guys, that should be gone first, rather than your most talented ST players
I was just using Bell and McKenzie as an example, but it is coming to the point that the Texans are going to start cutting the veterans like Bell and Evans and keeping younger guys that have more upside. Honestly, I can see Evans going before Bell, but both of thier days are numbered as Texans. If Bell, can improve his play at CB, he might hang on a little longer, but IMHO, Evans won't make the final cut before the season starts.