Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[2014] Bridgwater vs Manziel who would you take?

Manziel or Bridgewater?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Simple enough question, say both of these players declare for the 2014 draft and neither suffer any major injuries. Obviously not seeing them play in 2013 will be a large variable in this question but who would you rather have. Just some physical traits for each player:

Johnny Manziel:
Height: 6-1 (ESPN.com)
Weight: 200lbs (ESPN.com)
YDS TD INT
3706 26 9

Teddy Bridgewater
Height: 6-3 (ESPN.com)
Weight: 213lbs (ESPN.com)
YDS TD INT
3718 27 8

Personally, I love watching Johnny Football play his college ball. As Lance Z described him, he's a 6 foot 200 pound whirling dervish of a QB who played behind probably the best O-line in football. On the other hand you have Teddy Bridgewater who toils in the crappy Big East but had a great Sugar Bowl game against a really good Florida Gators defense.

I would probably favor the bigger guy in Bridgewater, but it's not like Manziel doesn't have a bunch of good things in his favor.

I prefer Manziel overall but Bridgewater in our system. I'm of the belief that Manziel would be wasted in Kube's system (Manziel would be a terror as an Eagle). From what I've watched on Bridgewater, I've been impressed with his mobility in the pocket. He steps up to avoid hits and moves around. He's on his feet and doesn't look like a stone (cough Schaub cough). Keeps his eyes downfield. Great in the pocket. I like his arm too, nothing special but he can make the throws. Dude was composed against Florida. I really like him as a prospect. Obviously for both homer and other reasons I think Manziel is a better quarterback simply because he's a game changer in a way few QBs are but I just don't see Manziel in *this* *current* Texans system. We'd have to have a regime change and a offensive scheme overhaul for Manziel to become deadly in our offense.

The cons... I don't know if it was me... but BW's spiral is a little iffy. That ball wobbles a bit too much on the deep throws and even the medium or intermediate ones.

Gee more Manziel love. Color me surprised.

I voted Bridgewater, one more year experience and though Manziel eventually might break the system QB knock on Sumlin QBs and other "air raid" type qbs out of a similar system have fared in the NFL. It just makes me wary. I also think Bridgewater's size gives him an edge.

I've seen more of Manziel but would prefer Bridgewater + he is a bit taller two inches and 20 lbs heavier. Will watch both more next season.

Hey, I evened it out. Bridgewater in this system... and many other systems. Manziel would be great on a few teams and probably not so great on many others.

If we get a guy like Bevell I'm comfortable with Manziel, seeing as he could use him much like Seattle uses Wilson.

3m's Mettenberger/McCarron/Murray over either one of the poll choices. Good thing is you most likely wouldn't have to spend 1-1 on them.

Bridge water and it's not close.

Manziel has some work to do in order to be a good nfl qb. I really like his natural ability and spark he brings, but his qb'ing from the pocket is dreadful at times.

Bridge water and it's not close.

Manziel has some work to do in order to be a good nfl qb. I really like his natural ability and spark he brings, but his qb'ing from the pocket is dreadful at times.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Manziel runs and throws on the run well, but it will only take one hit from an NFL LB or Safety to put an end to a season or career. Remember he's not a big man and his pocket presence ain't very good at times.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Manziel runs and throws on the run well, but it will only take one hit from an NFL LB or Safety to put an end to a season or career. Remember he's not a big man and his pocket presence ain't very good at times.

That's funny - He's heavier than Bridgewater who's ~3 inches taller. Manziel has the thicker build among the two. If either one of them gets blasted by a defender it could be good night Irene.

To be honest , I don't think Bridgewater is going to be anything more than an average QB in the NFL and I'm not so sure Manziel's game translates to the NFL , not because of injury concerns but because in the NFL he'll be surrounded by athletes of his caliber and wont be able to escape pressure nearly as often as he has against inferior athletes.

I don't want either one them @ #1. The risks are just too great.

The Wilson/Manziel comparison kills me. They aren't even close to the same aside from both being short and athletic. That's where the similarities end.

The Wilson/Manziel comparison kills me. They aren't even close to the same aside from both being short and athletic. That's where the similarities end.

I dunno , they both have the ability to escape a collapsing pocket , move around and keep their eyes down the field. I think its a fair comparison in many aspects.

I dunno , they both have the ability to escape a collapsing pocket , move around and keep their eyes down the field. I think its a fair comparison in many aspects.

I can see the similarity to an extent. However, Wilson has a much stronger arm, puts amazing touch on the ball, makes quicker and better decisions, has a ridiculous football IQ, and has unheard of intangibles and leadership qualities for such a young player.

Now a lot of that can be fixed with experience for Manziel. But some of it (arm, mental acumen for the position, intangibles) are just things that some guys have and most guys don't.

Athletically, Manziel reminds me a bit of Wilson. But when I watch the two play the QB position, I don't see the similarity.

[2014] Bridgwater vs Manziel who would you take?
Asking the right question are we, hmm?

photo.jpg

I don't think so. I wanna say 5'11 200. Dude is actually pretty stocky.

Every site I've seen shows Manziel at 5'11" 210 and Bridgewater at 6'3" 205.

Manziel has a thicker build ....

I still don't want either of them at #1. Hell , if we end up with it , I want to move out of #1. Just don't see a single player who's worthy of the distinction of the #1.

I still don't want either of them at #1. Hell , if we end up with it , I want to move out of #1. Just don't see a single player who's worthy of the distinction of the #1.

Question then - if the Texans have TB rated #5 overall but feel they need a QB would you want them to trade down still?

On the other hand you have Teddy Bridgewater who toils in the crappy Big East but had a great Sugar Bowl game against a really good Florida Gators defense.

I would probably favor the bigger guy in Bridgewater, but it's not like Manziel doesn't have a bunch of good things in his favor.

Actuall JM weighs more than TB. # Gator O turnovers was the real story of Sugar Bowl outcome.

I've seen more of Manziel but would prefer Bridgewater + he is a bit taller two inches and 20 lbs heavier. Will watch both more next season.

JM outweighs TB by almost 20 lbs.

If we get a guy like Bevell I'm comfortable with Manziel, seeing as he could use him much like Seattle uses Wilson.

I like Bevell but McNair has already eliminated Darrell, no HC experience.

Question then - if the Texans have TB rated #5 overall but feel they need a QB would you want them to trade down still?

I'd be much more comfortable taking him after a trade down scenario pending fair compensation. That compensation reduces the risk.

btw take my measurements with a grain of salt as it is spitballing from having seen him a couple times on test days.

Agree 100% Texans haven't gotten "luck"y when they have had the first round.
Clowney reminds me a lot of Mario. No motor. Hopefully we get somebody that gives us an RGIII type offer.

Sometimes those are more accurate than measurements by the colleges.

Agreed. We all know that the major universities of higher learning staffed by some of the most brilliant people in the world have no idea how to use a measuring stick or weight scale, so many players shrink at the Combine it's rediculous.

Manziel at 2-1 rather than Bridgewater at 1-1.

I see this take a QB in round 2-4, but really is that any gaurantee of an upgrade over what we already have. We already have mediocre quarterbacking, I don't see a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round QB really improving on that. If they aren't worth taking in the first round, are they really worth taking at all?

Here is a list of the current NFL starting QB's drafted outside the first round:
Brady - get him off the board early because he is a freak
Dalton - enjoy your first round losses
Romo - Inconsistency thy name is Romo
Keenum - meh
Flynn - 1 game wonder
Henne - great back-up
G. Smith -
McGloin - good enough to beat the Texans
Foles - small sample
Kapearnick - is he a good QB?
Wilson - Height probably put people off
Glennon - better than Freeman I guess
Clemens - hah
Fitzpatrick - got a contract off smashing a woeful Texans team back in the day.

Simple enough question, say both of these players declare for the 2014 draft and neither suffer any major injuries. Obviously not seeing them play in 2013 will be a large variable in this question but who would you rather have. Just some physical traits for each player:

Johnny Manziel:
Height: 6-1 (ESPN.com)
Weight: 200lbs (ESPN.com)
YDS TD INT
3706 26 9

Teddy Bridgewater
Height: 6-3 (ESPN.com)
Weight: 213lbs (ESPN.com)
YDS TD INT
3718 27 8

Personally, I love watching Johnny Football play his college ball. As Lance Z described him, he's a 6 foot 200 pound whirling dervish of a QB who played behind probably the best O-line in football. On the other hand you have Teddy Bridgewater who toils in the crappy Big East but had a great Sugar Bowl game against a really good Florida Gators defense.

The speed of Maziel's competition is far closer to NFL caliber than Bridgewater's. NFL speed is what separates the great from the merely good.

Agreed. We all know that the major universities of higher learning staffed by some of the most brilliant people in the world have no idea how to use a measuring stick or weight scale, so many players shrink at the Combine it's rediculous.

Don't tell me that you think the major universities of higher learning staffed by some of the most brilliant people in the world don't lie through their teeth just as often as the "Real World." Where do you think the "Real World" learned how to lie without giving it a second thought?

Don't tell me that you think the major universities of higher learning staffed by some of the most brilliant people in the world don't lie through their teeth just as often as the "Real World." Where do you think the "Real World" learned how to lie without giving it a second thought?

I'm almost a hundred percent sure Wolf was being intentionally tongue-in-cheek. You just restated what he rather facetiously implied.

The speed of Maziel's competition is far closer to NFL caliber than Bridgewater's. NFL speed is what separates the great from the merely good.

How NFL-caliber was the speed Steve Mcnair faced at Alcorn State? Dude was borderline HOF. Michael Strahan at Texas Southern? Dude WAS HOF-caliber. Talent is talent, and Bridewater has shown up when facing top schools. Technique and football-IQ-wise, he is already ahead of the curve. I don't get the "He's no Andrew Luck" mantra. The kid is Teddy Bridgewater. Even if he comes in and plays like Donovan McNabb, he would be by-far the best QB the Texans have ever had.

From what I've seen, Teddy Bridgewater turns into "Teddy Icewater" in the fourth quarter.

That's a #1 QB if for nothing else.

I see this take a QB in round 2-4, but really is that any gaurantee of an upgrade over what we already have. We already have mediocre quarterbacking, I don't see a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round QB really improving on that. If they aren't worth taking in the first round, are they really worth taking at all?

I don't totally disagree with this line of thinking but circumstances dictate course of action.

You have to look at the overall pool of talent here in this draft and make an educated guess as to what they are as a final product.

Is Bridgewater more likely to be Warren Moon or JaMarcus Russell ??

Is Manziel more likely to turn out like Drew Brees or Joey Harrington ??

Consider players at other positions too .... is there a JJ Watt in this draft ?! A JJ Watt type player probably has a bigger impact on the game than all but a handful of the very best QB's. If there isn't a QB who you feel strongly about being one of the few truely elite , can you really pick that QB over a great player at position X ???

What about the guys expected to slot below them in the draft , whats their up/downside ?!

And finally , can you afford to not take a QB , be it a top prospect or one of those in the second tier ? Do you have a prospect currently on the roster you think can be a quality or elite QB ?

If the odds are greater that you end up with Jamarcus Russell than Warren Moon and you don't have a prospect on the roster , you take one of those second tier guy's while getting an impact player elsewhere.

Don't we already have second tier guys? You can get second tier guys in FA or in UDFA.

We have too many needs to fill a draft spot with a non upgrade QB.

Don't we already have second tier guys? You can get second tier guys in FA or in UDFA.

We have too many needs to fill a draft spot with a non upgrade QB.

No , we don't currently have a second tier guy on this roster at the QB position.

We had one before Schaub went to crap.

How NFL-caliber was the speed Steve Mcnair faced at Alcorn State? Dude was borderline HOF. Michael Strahan at Texas Southern? Dude WAS HOF-caliber. Talent is talent, and Bridewater has shown up when facing top schools. Technique and football-IQ-wise, he is already ahead of the curve. I don't get the "He's no Andrew Luck" mantra. The kid is Teddy Bridgewater. Even if he comes in and plays like Donovan McNabb, he would be by-far the best QB the Texans have ever had.

From what I've seen, Teddy Bridgewater turns into "Teddy Icewater" in the fourth quarter.

All that and a chance for an offensive guru to pick a guy #1 to mold is pretty appealing .

Here's a picture of Johnny Football next to Teddy .

103374429-john-stockton-and-karl-malone-poses-for-a-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
I chose Bridgewater but to be honest I don't want either one.

Me niether

Give me a generational talent like Clowney in Rd.1. They are saying the same things about Clowney that they were saying about Peppers.

Then give me Mettenberger or Murray in Rd.2. Both of them have just as much of a chance of succeeding as Bridgewater and played as well against much tougher competition in college. Mettenberger reminds me of Big Ben.

Me niether

Give me a generational talent like Clowney in Rd.1. They are saying the same things about Clowney that they were saying about Peppers.

Then give me Mettenberger or Murray in Rd.2. Both of them have just as much of a chance of succeeding as Bridgewater and played as well against much tougher competition in college. Mettenberger reminds me of Big Ben.

big ben is actually mobile for his size unlike mettenberger. I see more Ryan Mallet in him. All three have the big arm tho.

Bleh, guys like Mettenberger and McCarron both have this Andy Dalton-esque aura about them. Sure they might win you some games in the pros because they have a decent grasp on the fundamentals of the game, but neither of those guys (or Boyd for that matter) make me think they are going to do big things in the NFL, even if we get them in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I think there's two guys in this draft who make you go "wow" and thats JFF and Teddy.

Wow. Great post. Never thought I would say that to you.

:clap:

Back