Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Manziel or Bridgewater?
Johnny Manziel 18 24.66%
Teddy Bridgewater 55 75.34%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2013   #41
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [2014] Bridgwater vs Manziel who would you take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The speed of Maziel's competition is far closer to NFL caliber than Bridgewater's. NFL speed is what separates the great from the merely good.
How NFL-caliber was the speed Steve Mcnair faced at Alcorn State? Dude was borderline HOF. Michael Strahan at Texas Southern? Dude WAS HOF-caliber. Talent is talent, and Bridewater has shown up when facing top schools. Technique and football-IQ-wise, he is already ahead of the curve. I don't get the "He's no Andrew Luck" mantra. The kid is Teddy Bridgewater. Even if he comes in and plays like Donovan McNabb, he would be by-far the best QB the Texans have ever had.

From what I've seen, Teddy Bridgewater turns into "Teddy Icewater" in the fourth quarter.

That's a #1 QB if for nothing else.
Old 12-08-2013   #42
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I see this take a QB in round 2-4, but really is that any gaurantee of an upgrade over what we already have. We already have mediocre quarterbacking, I don't see a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round QB really improving on that. If they aren't worth taking in the first round, are they really worth taking at all?

I don't totally disagree with this line of thinking but circumstances dictate course of action.

You have to look at the overall pool of talent here in this draft and make an educated guess as to what they are as a final product.

Is Bridgewater more likely to be Warren Moon or JaMarcus Russell ??

Is Manziel more likely to turn out like Drew Brees or Joey Harrington ??

Consider players at other positions too .... is there a JJ Watt in this draft ?! A JJ Watt type player probably has a bigger impact on the game than all but a handful of the very best QB's. If there isn't a QB who you feel strongly about being one of the few truely elite , can you really pick that QB over a great player at position X ???

What about the guys expected to slot below them in the draft , whats their up/downside ?!

And finally , can you afford to not take a QB , be it a top prospect or one of those in the second tier ? Do you have a prospect currently on the roster you think can be a quality or elite QB ?

If the odds are greater that you end up with Jamarcus Russell than Warren Moon and you don't have a prospect on the roster , you take one of those second tier guy's while getting an impact player elsewhere.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #43
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't we already have second tier guys? You can get second tier guys in FA or in UDFA.

We have too many needs to fill a draft spot with a non upgrade QB.
Old 12-08-2013   #44
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Don't we already have second tier guys? You can get second tier guys in FA or in UDFA.

We have too many needs to fill a draft spot with a non upgrade QB.
No , we don't currently have a second tier guy on this roster at the QB position.

We had one before Schaub went to crap.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #45
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
How NFL-caliber was the speed Steve Mcnair faced at Alcorn State? Dude was borderline HOF. Michael Strahan at Texas Southern? Dude WAS HOF-caliber. Talent is talent, and Bridewater has shown up when facing top schools. Technique and football-IQ-wise, he is already ahead of the curve. I don't get the "He's no Andrew Luck" mantra. The kid is Teddy Bridgewater. Even if he comes in and plays like Donovan McNabb, he would be by-far the best QB the Texans have ever had.

From what I've seen, Teddy Bridgewater turns into "Teddy Icewater" in the fourth quarter.

All that and a chance for an offensive guru to pick a guy #1 to mold is pretty appealing .

Here's a picture of Johnny Football next to Teddy .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 12-08-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #46
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I chose Bridgewater but to be honest I don't want either one.
Old 12-09-2013   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I chose Bridgewater but to be honest I don't want either one.
Me niether

Give me a generational talent like Clowney in Rd.1. They are saying the same things about Clowney that they were saying about Peppers.

Then give me Mettenberger or Murray in Rd.2. Both of them have just as much of a chance of succeeding as Bridgewater and played as well against much tougher competition in college. Mettenberger reminds me of Big Ben.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2013   #48
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Me niether

Give me a generational talent like Clowney in Rd.1. They are saying the same things about Clowney that they were saying about Peppers.

Then give me Mettenberger or Murray in Rd.2. Both of them have just as much of a chance of succeeding as Bridgewater and played as well against much tougher competition in college. Mettenberger reminds me of Big Ben.
big ben is actually mobile for his size unlike mettenberger. I see more Ryan Mallet in him. All three have the big arm tho.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #49
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Bleh, guys like Mettenberger and McCarron both have this Andy Dalton-esque aura about them. Sure they might win you some games in the pros because they have a decent grasp on the fundamentals of the game, but neither of those guys (or Boyd for that matter) make me think they are going to do big things in the NFL, even if we get them in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I think there's two guys in this draft who make you go "wow" and thats JFF and Teddy.
Old 01-09-2014   #50
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

Wow. Great post. Never thought I would say that to you.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #51
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Bleh, guys like Mettenberger and McCarron both have this Andy Dalton-esque aura about them. Sure they might win you some games in the pros because they have a decent grasp on the fundamentals of the game, but neither of those guys (or Boyd for that matter) make me think they are going to do big things in the NFL, even if we get them in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I think there's two guys in this draft who make you go "wow" and thats JFF and Teddy.
I am still holding on to Boyd. Out of the three you posted I would take him.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #52
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read