Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Do you miss Jacoby Jones?

AJ-80

Waterboy
Considering all the talk of the Texans lack of a #2 wide receiver AND a playmaking return man, do you wish he was back?

I thought I would never say this, but we needed him this year. Not in terms of his couple of bonehead plays per year, but his playmaking ability, especially in the return game.

The "unforgivable sin" vs. Baltimore last year was terrible. I wanted him gone too. But considering all the problems at the slots his left open, any thoughts on weather you would take him back if you could do it over?

KW still had more yards this year compared to JJ receiving and one more TD. I still don't think he is a very good receiver.

His return game has improved but I don't doubt he will make a mistake that will be costly in the superbowl.

I don't miss him too much but I am sure he would have helped us at times and hurt us at others.

That's assuming he made plays and was a game changer when he was here...which he was not.

KW still had more yards this year compared to JJ receiving and one more TD. I still don't think he is a very good receiver.

His return game has improved but I don't doubt he will make a mistake that will be costly in the superbowl.

I don't miss him too much but I am sure he would have helped us at times and hurt us at others.

You do realize Jacoby wasn't that far off from matching Walter's numbers & he was a #3 WR...not a #2 WR like Walter who started every game & thus had more opportunities then Jacoby.

Hindsight is always 20/20. We could've used Jones, but who's to say he would've produced like he did in Baltimore. I personally think he needed a change to light a fire under him. He was public enemy #1 & most of it was his own doing. He simply was too comfortable & was a bit too arrogant despite his mistakes. He would've been helpful IF he acted & played like he did for the Ravens, but that's a big IF when its all said & done. The change seems to have been the best for him more then the Texans.

He would've been helpful IF he acted & played like he did for the Ravens, but that's a big IF when its all said & done. The change seems to have been the best for him more then the Texans.

Agreed. Also Flacco has an absolute cannon to make all the throws Shaub usually can't.

Thank you for Jacoby...met him at a radio show- spoke really well of Houston and his time there. Admitted he made some mistakes because "he was trying to do too much"...

bth_PointingfingerUp-animation.gif

This...

Thank you for Jacoby...met him at a radio show- spoke really well of Houston and his time there. Admitted he made some mistakes because "he was trying to do too much"...

Yes, walking AND chewing bubble gum can be quite the daunting task for some.

Or, catching AND holding onto the ball--as it were.

I don't miss him, but I don't think we had the right personnel to use him to his full capability. I think he benefits greatly from being a WR#3 and the 5th target on their team.

Do you miss Jacoby Jones?

Nope. He needed a change of scenery to focus his career, and the fact is that getting booed at home games would have been really bad for his psyche.

Chill. This is not the smack talk forum. Fact is JJ's hands were poor while in Houston.

My point is why do fans feel the need to denigrate a player who made mistakes or performed poorly for their team?

Its okay as a fan to disparage, demean and personally insult a player but when the player or another fan reacts, its poor sportsmanship?

Glass houses.....

My point is why do fans feel the need to denigrate a player who made mistakes or performed poorly for their team?

Its okay as a fan to disparage, demean and personally insult a player but when the player or another fan reacts, its poor sportsmanship?

Glass houses.....

I believe you are aware there is a sub-forum where fan on fan smack talk is allowed, that's just not this sub-forum.

Glass houses.....

Do you honestly feel Luv_ya_blue's post disparaged, demeaned, and personally insulted Jacoby Jones?

"Butthurt cream"? Is that a staple at local convenience stores in Baltimore?

Glass houses.....

For me, it's because he was "a player who made mistakes or performed poorly for their team."

You know what I really miss? I miss the days when there wasn't always a Jacoby Jones thread waiting for us seemingly every day. That's just me and I know many of you like to keep talking about a guy who isn't on this team anymore (hence the "National Football League" forum which is entirely appropriate). Nothing wrong with that. I just don't understand it.

He performed well this year for the Ravens. Hundreds of players performed well for their respective teams. He did not develop here in Houston and showed no apparent signs of doing so in the future. His receiving is pretty much unchanged and his return game is improved thanks to being on a team with better special teams play than the Texans. To me this makes him a non-topic. He's not here and as a wideout he's not better than he was here. As a return man he's in a better place, not necessarily a better player. Trindon Holliday also went somewhere else and improved dramatically. Where the return game is concerned I"m afraid "It's not them, it's us".

I don't want him back, have no inclination to forgive him for his past mistakes, and don't care how he's doing somewhere else.

Considering all the talk of the Texans lack of a #2 wide receiver AND a playmaking return man, do you wish he was back?

I am still a Jacoby fan. Not in so much that I will root for him or anything like that. I root for them boys on Kirby... that's it.

But I do like to watch Jacoby play & still think he was not used correctly while he was here. Square peg for a round hole.

I do not think we have a QB that can take advantage of his biggest asset, speed. So I was pleased to see him go to a team with a big armed QB.

However, Jacoby isn't even third on the Ravens receiving corps & that's a disappointment & proof that those guys who say he's not a good receiver were right.

I don't care to go back & say if we had so & so..... we don't know & there's no way to know. But I would have chosen Jacoby over Walter any day of the week. If you still think Andre can stretch the field, I can understand a decision to keep Walter. If you think Martin or Posey was going to be that guy....

I mean I was surprised to see Martin on the field as often as he was, but wasn't surprised when he disappeared. That's just Kubiak. If he feels like he's got to win, he's going to go with what he knows, what he can count on. & in that, he's really no different than the rest of us. You can't "plan" with inconsistencies other than to be inconsistent.

So no, I do not miss Jacoby Jones. I'm looking forward to next year & these kids becoming more a part of our offense....

If I were JJ Watt or someone else who's had a bull on the side of my helmet for the past two years I would take the next time I faced Mr. Jones as an opportunity to run at him at full speed, turning my body into a missile and break every last damn one of his ribs as my way of saying "THANK YOU" for fumbling a gimmie and costing me and the team a trip to the AFC championship then SUSPICIOUSLY being picked up by the same team to whom you seemingly GAVE a trip to the next round. Before the token Baltimore fan says something. This aint sour grapes, this is :thinking: hmmm "you f'ed up and cost us a game to a team that then makes you part of their roster...I aint accusing you but that looks a little fishy so I want to break your ribs to say congrats on your success with the organization you seemed to assist when you played for us" hit.

I personally think he needed a change to light a fire under him. He was public enemy #1 & most of it was his own doing. He simply was too comfortable & was a bit too arrogant despite his mistakes.

I don't understand this opinion. Listening to Foster, Jacoby was a hard worker here. Jacoby, Foster, & Casey would stay past practice & work on hands, routes, & what not.

He stopped, as far as we can tell, goofing around, missing meetings & that kind of stuff in his last couple of years here.

Sure, he was a knucklehead when he got here, but he was a pro when he left.

This is like asking will I miss Obama when he is gone or do I miss dubya now?

Any review of jacobys history here should answer that question. And what is with people acting like jacoby had this great season? As usual he hardly did a thing as a receiver.

If I were JJ Watt or someone else who's had a bull on the side of my helmet for the past two years I would take the next time I faced Mr. Jones as an opportunity to run at him at full speed, turning my body into a missile and break every last damn one of his ribs as my way of saying "THANK YOU" for fumbling a gimmie and costing me and the team a trip to the AFC championship then SUSPICIOUSLY being picked up by the same team to whom you seemingly GAVE a trip to the next round. Before the token Baltimore fan says something. This aint sour grapes, this is :thinking: hmmm "you f'ed up and cost us a game to a team that then makes you part of their roster...I aint accusing you but that looks a little fishy so I want to break your ribs to say congrats on your success with the organization you seemed to assist when you played for us" hit.

No, this is poor logic. That was 5 minutes into the game & the team should have been able to overcome.

They weren't, they lost. You're not going to win many play off games scoring 13 points.

No, this is poor logic. That was 5 minutes into the game & the team should have been able to overcome.

They weren't, they lost. You're not going to win many play off games scoring 13 points.

I'm talking about the one in the 4th quarter...

I don't understand this opinion. Listening to Foster, Jacoby was a hard worker here. Jacoby, Foster, & Casey would stay past practice & work on hands, routes, & what not.

He stopped, as far as we can tell, goofing around, missing meetings & that kind of stuff in his last couple of years here.

He's been better there b/c he's fully entrenched as the 3rd option and only the 3rd option, he's playing with a better group of WR's around him..a qb that can get him the ball and a better coach. They also have unquestioned leadership with Lewis and Harbaugh. You think they'd be going for his antics?

This is like asking will I miss Obama when he is gone or do I miss dubya now?

Any review of jacobys history here should answer that question. And what is with people acting like jacoby had this great season? As usual he hardly did a thing as a receiver.

Thought of this, when I read that...

bush+MissMeYet.jpg

I hope the karma train comes around and he drops the game winning touchdown in the superbowl, then the Ravens fans will feel the same we do about Jacoby.

Seemingly nice guy, just makes the big mistakes at the wrong time.

to kinda answer the question, yes. for his many flaws Jacoby had speed that defenses and special teams had to account for. Even with the Texans he made a handful of big plays each year and helped open the offense spread the defense.

he never was a compplete pleyer and bleeped up against his current team, but the WR corp was better with him ( at least 2011 to 2012).

Nice guy that I rooted for but probably one if not the most frustrating players for me to watch. No is my answer.

You do realize Jacoby wasn't that far off from matching Walter's numbers & he was a #3 WR...not a #2 WR like Walter who started every game & thus had more opportunities then Jacoby.
There's a reason Baltimore only used JJ as a #3. The "reduced pressure" on him to perform should have made the game easier. JJ had his big chance when AJ went out, he blew it. There are exactly Zero teams in the NFL who would use him as a #1 and damn few who'd consider him at a #2.

The bolded pretty well answers itself.

What antics? That's my only issue with your view. He was a pro when he left.

You clearly didn't pay to much attention to Jacoby while he was here if you have to ask that question. He consistently lacked focus and wasn't doing all of the things that he needed to do. He never improved here.

It's actually mind blowing that a thread like this even exists considering that we're talking about a player that was a bust on both of his contracts.

“I ain’t going nowhere, trust me,” Jones said. “No matter what nobody says I ain’t going nowhwere. Believe that.”

This is an example of my too comfortable & arrogance concerning Jones. He made this quote days after his poor game in Baltimore. Instead of keeping his head down & his mouth shut in following days he chose too further infuriate a fan base that didn't care for him by insuating that he was untouchable to some degree. Obviously he was wrong. But it takes a certain level of arrogance & comfort to believe that he could say such things w/out repercussions from the organization. Especially after the poor performance that he had just had. Do I believe he makes that same statement in organization ran by the likes Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Cowher, Jim or John Harbaugh...I highly doubt it. It's called accountability & he wasn't worried about it when it concerned the fans.

Jacoby was simply too comfortable w/ his standing w/ kubiak, imo, & it seemed his development had slowed or plateaued because of it. He needed a change & had he handled all of business in Houston like he did in Baltimore by eliminating the mental mistakes, refining his skills, & dropping the immature antics then I believe he could've been better here. Unfortunately, Jacoby felt he was doing everything right here & it took getting ousted for him to take the next step.

I thought I would never say this, but we needed him this year. Not in terms of his couple of bonehead plays per year, but his playmaking ability, especially in the return game.

The "unforgivable sin" vs. Baltimore last year was terrible. I wanted him gone too. But considering all the problems at the slots his left open, any thoughts on weather you would take him back if you could do it over?

I wouldn't have let him go in the first place. Leach either. But since we did, I hope they do well in the game and the Ravens win.

There's a reason Baltimore only used JJ as a #3. The "reduced pressure" on him to perform should have made the game easier. JJ had his big chance when AJ went out, he blew it. There are exactly Zero teams in the NFL who would use him as a #1 and damn few who'd consider him at a #2.

I somewhat agree w/ this. Yes, it made it easier for him to adjust w/ less pressure, but I very much believe they are grooming him to be their next #2 wr. Of course Jones went to them w/ a lot of baggage & of course he wasn't going to be asked to start because they have Boldin & Smith but Boldin is getting up in age & isn't quite the player he use to be & the price tag could be getting hefty. I think Boldin will eventually be gone & Jones will be given an opportunity to step up. Given how he progressed this season, he could become a #2 wr for them. After all...that was the exact plan for him here as well.

No!

And neither do the hundreds of thousands of potheads in Houston who are grateful the supply/demand of marijuana in Harris County is back in balance since his departure.

I hope the karma train comes around and he drops the game winning touchdown in the superbowl, then the Ravens fans will feel the same we do about Jacoby.

Seemingly nice guy, just makes the big mistakes at the wrong time.

That says more about you than it does about Jacoby.

He is what he is. You draft these guys... he was a third round pick, & you hope for the bests. He's got the size & talent to be a #1, but there's a reason he was there in the third.

If he ends up just a #3, you're good.

I've never said he was anything other than a #3. I've said, & still believe if I have to choose between Walter & Jacoby to be my #2, I'm picking Jacoby, but I don't think either are true #2s.

We don't know who is our #3 receiver now. Didn't know who it would be over the last 6 weeks. Jacoby would have been great. He would have stretched the field & he's become an excellent downfield blocker, at least he was when he left.

Again, my answer was no, I don't miss Jacoby. But I never would have let him go.

You clearly didn't pay to much attention to Jacoby while he was here if you have to ask that question. He consistently lacked focus and wasn't doing all of the things that he needed to do. He never improved here.

It's actually mind blowing that a thread like this even exists considering that we're talking about a player that was a bust on both of his contracts.

That was early in his career. I had not seen anything like that in his last couple of years here. Like I said, he was a knucklehead when he got here & a pro when he left.

I don't think it is any different with the guys we'd like to see, but Kubiak won't put on the field. Posey, KMart, LeStar. Same for Arian when he first got here. When Kubiak talks about them having to learn how to be a pro, that's what he's talking about.

Besides the fact that Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin are better than him, period.

I just never thought it should be personal. Like when I fired an employee, it was about job performance, nothing more. I never make it personal. But since being a fan is such an emotional experience I guess some cannot seperate themselves from it (hating).

I just never thought it should be personal. Like when I fired an employee, it was about job performance, nothing more. I never make it personal. But since being a fan is such an emotional experience I guess some cannot seperate themselves from it (hating).

One of the results of being a die hard fan of a team is that you become emotionally invested in the team as well as certain players. We (fans) expect the coaching staff to put the best possible person (all things considered) in the best possible position to make our team as successful as possible. And when there is a less-than sterling performance, week after week--it's the natural result.

Some players we love, and others we hate. It's a fickle world--this whole sports fandom thing. Right now, JJ Watt is on top of the world in the realm of Texans fandom. But if he was busted buying dimebags of Crack outside a gay club on Montrose with a transvetite hooker in the car--some of us would feel the need to part ways with him, emotionally speaking. However, so long as he didn't feel the need to write: "Pay me Rick" on his cleats, most of us would still like him as long as he was getting it done on the field.

::\end rant::

Nice guy that I rooted for but probably one if not the most frustrating players for me to watch. No is my answer.

Exactly... I actually picked Jacoby as my "Adopt a Texan" a few years back. Even I lost confidence in him before the playoff game in Baltimore. Can't recall which game, but he muffed a punt & the announcers said Demeco Ryans glared at him as the defense went back on the field.

From then on, we all held our breath every time he was waiting for a punt & the Baltimore game wasn't the first time he fielded a punt on a bounce. He did that in the regular season & got away with it. We know what happened the next time.

I'm not mad at Jacoby & I wish him well; I'm glad he scored a TD against Denver & I'm glad Baltimore beat New England. That said, I don't miss him... I don't want to close my eyes every time we're waiting for a punt.

Back