Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2008 Trade results in Flacco & D Brown

badboy

Hall of Fame
2008 Houston trades #18 to Baltimore who selects QB Joe Flacco. Texans convert #26 into Duane Brown, 3rd round RB Steve Slaton and in 6th Dominique Barber. I really like trade then.

Hindsight is perfect but would you do that trade again or select Flacco #18 considering the team you had in 2008? A QB going to SB in his fifth year versus your all pro LT? Slaton did have value although Barber was basically an injury. I guess what I am asking is a Super Bowl QB in his prime or Duane Brown? Keep in mind that Brown just signed a team friendly contract and Joe Flacco is in his last contract year earning $6.76m + $2.1m roster bonus and woul likely command a very huge contract.

2008 Houston trades #18 to Baltimore who selects QB Joe Flacco. Texans convert #26 into Duane Brown, 3rd round RB Steve Slaton and in 6th Dominique Barber. I really like trade then.

Hindsight is perfect but would you do that trade again or select Flacco #18 considering the team you had in 2008? A QB going to SB in his fifth year versus your all pro LT? Slaton did have value although Barber was basically an injury. I guess what I am asking is a Super Bowl QB in his prime or Duane Brown? Keep in mind that Brown just signed a team friendly contract and Joe Flacco is in his last contract year earning $6.76m + $2.1m roster bonus and woul likely command a very huge contract.

We just traded 2 second round picks for Schaub. Why on earth would we draft a QB in the first round after that?

Why didn't we take Brady in the first round in 2000?

And don't even use the excuse that we didn't have a team, that's such a cop out.

This is Flacco's 5th chance at making the SB, and he finally gets in. Schaub had one shot, missed, but now people are having this Flacco love affair? I don't get it.

If Flacco can get the Ravens to the SB, then Schaub can do the same with the Texans. We just need the defense to play as well as the Raven's D in the playoffs.

This is Flacco's 5th chance at making the SB, and he finally gets in. Schaub had one shot, missed, but now people are having this Flacco love affair? I don't get it.

If Flacco can get the Ravens to the SB, then Schaub can do the same with the Texans. We just need the defense to play as well as the Raven's D in the playoffs.

Just because this was the first time we made it to the playoffs with him at QB doesn't mean it qualifies as his "first shot at the SB." All of those years where we didn't make the playoffs count too.

I'd still make the trade in a heartbeat. The problem with that trade wasn't Brown vs. Flacco, it was what we did with the extra picks.

Slaton was a one-hit wonder, and Barber was irrelevant. With the 3rd pick we could've take a WR such as Manningham. With the 6th, WR Pierre Garcon was also available.

Last edited:
Brown is the best LT in the game, and we already had Schaubby. Not to mention Slaton was good for that one year.*

Just for good measure, Duane Brown is the best LT in the game.

*edited for accuracy

Would take D. Brown again..... It took Flacco how many seasons to finally break thru even with that dominant defense he has had for years....come on now lets be real.

We already had Schaub, and picked up the best LT in football. How is that not a great trade.

Everyone is swinging from Flacco's jock right now, but it's not like he was man handling the Patriot's with his 240 yards at 6.6 YPA and 58% completion percentage. If the Raven's defense gave up 40, nobody would be talking about Flacco having a great game, because he didn't.

He was only good his rookie season... total crap after that.

He had a career ending injury in his sophomore preseason. It just took everyone a few months to acknowledge that it was over.

You can't fault a pick because of an unforeseeable freak injury.

I wish Foster would run with half of the effort that Slaton did. At this point, I would be happy if Foster didn't routinely tackle himself.

Well if we're going to crazy world of dreams land, I'd rather us have drafted Aaron Rodgers instead of Travis Johnson in 2005.

Actually over the next two weeks somebody was gonna suggest or ask. At least this was not a rant on how stupid the Texans were versus a question.

I'll give you that. But most retrospectives(In regards to the draft) are almost pointless, unless it was a real possibility at the time.

So you're asking if you would take a borderline top 10 qb for a top 3 LT? Give me the LT as they seem to be harder to find and IMO affect more of the game, protecting said qb and opening run lanes. This is an age old debate and one that neither side will ever win. Its pointless really

Well ****, might as well have taken Russell Wilson instead of Devier Posey in 2012. We would probably be going to the Super Bowl with him at the helm instead of Schaub.

Should the Browns have taken Matt Ryan or Joe Thomas?

while this seems like a no brainer, if they werent completely incompetant at picking someone else at qb, like not weeden, then Thomas would be the better pick.
IMO

Just because this was the first time we made it to the playoffs with him at QB doesn't mean it qualifies as his "first shot at the SB." All of those years where we didn't make the playoffs count too.

That's a good point, but at the same time, you have to admit this is his first legit shot at making the SB. Flacco always had the luxury of a dominant defense to help him win games.

A lot of if'ing going on in this thread...

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_s9QpV5pdCtQ/TOLt3R42zpI/AAAAAAAABlA/KfG3mkX1VT4/s1600/water_under_the_bridge_by_vaggelisf-d32febj.jpg[/IMG]"that's water under the bridge"
[IMGwidthsize=300]http://liveside.net/wp-content/images/2011/08/horse-and-barn.jpg[/IMG]"that horse is already out of the barn"

while this seems like a no brainer, if they werent completely incompetant at picking someone else at qb, like not weeden, then Thomas would be the better pick.
IMO

They could quite possibly be that bad at picking an LT though and Matt Ryan might be a vegetable at this point. It's an interesting thought exercise though.

Should the Browns have taken Matt Ryan or Joe Thomas?

What? Matt Ryan was drafted in 2008. Joe Thomas was drafted in 2007. Both were the 3rd overall pick in their drafts.

Maybe you're thinking of Jake Long and the Dolphins at #1 in 2008.

Why do you jump to "love affair"? I merely posted an idea to see what others thought. Rein it in a bit big boy.

We just traded 2 second round picks for Schaub. Why on earth would we draft a QB in the first round after that?
2007 stats were 2241 and 204 yds per game avg not exactly breath taking. IIRC and I think I do many were not too please with the trade that off season.

Last edited:
A lot of if'ing going on in this thread...

[IMGwidthsize=300]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_s9QpV5pdCtQ/TOLt3R42zpI/AAAAAAAABlA/KfG3mkX1VT4/s1600/water_under_the_bridge_by_vaggelisf-d32febj.jpg[/IMG]"that's water under the bridge"
[IMGwidthsize=300]http://liveside.net/wp-content/images/2011/08/horse-and-barn.jpg[/IMG]"that horse is already out of the barn"

:clap:

However, BB is a draftnik; he just likes to talk scenarios, that's all.

2007 stats were 2241 and 204 yds per game avg not exactly breath taking. IIRC and I think I do many were not oo please with the trade that off season.

It was just too bad that Ahman Green didn't work out.
Slaton was supposed to be a change-of-pace back, not a workhorse.

On top of that, Alex Gibbs came a bit late.
And then we didn't run as much outside zone as we've been doing the last few years.

I imagine, they wanted to emphasize to the linemen and the running backs on the one-cut, downhill style first.

Why do you jump to "love affair"? I merely posted an idea to see what others thought. Rein it in a bit big boy.

Sorry if it seems like I jumped all over your post... but I'm hearing it from alot of people in here of how great Flacco is and "wish" we had him instead of Schaub.

2007 stats were 2241 and 204 yds per game avg not exactly breath taking. IIRC and I think I do many were not oo please with the trade that off season.

Not including the 3 games where he was knocked out with injuries:

8 Games
2,107 yards
263 Yards per game
67% completion percentage
8.2 Yards per attempt
9 TDs
7 Ints

Pretty nice stat line for a first year starter.

I think Slaton in the third was an awesome pick. He was thought to be a first rounder by many and I said no way but to get him in third? I was ecstatic. Dump on David Carr all you want (and you will) if Tony Boselli had been healthy, it could have been a whole nother thing. I would make that trade again today knowing the outcome. Barber had the size and pretty good skills.

I hope that another team will want to trade up to our #27 and offer a comparable package.

Would take D. Brown again..... It took Flacco how many seasons to finally break thru even with that dominant defense he has had for years....come on now lets be real.

Break through? Did you just start watching football this year? He's lead his team to the playoffs every single year he has been in the league....it would be nice to have that consistancy. Keep in mind, Baltimore's defenses are not what they use to be. But they have had steady leadership and great coaching.

But in hindsight I'd take D.Brown again, especially since you just traded 2 second rounders for a QB. Of course if we could do it all over again I'd keep the 2 second rounders and draft Flacco.

Your logic is flawed on so many levels, one just has to laugh....First of all, how is showing some respect to Flacco termed a "love affair"? Grow up. Schaub and Flacco are two different QBs with different skill sets. Flacco has taken his team to the playoffs 5 times in a row. How many chances did Schaub have to get this team in the playoffs?

So Schaub finally gets in, ONCE with a team where he isn't even in the top 5 of most important Texans(Watt, Brown, Foster, Andre, Cush). A team that went just as far with our back up QB from last year. Schaub didn't "take a shot" and miss. He never bothered to even take a shot. Its clear to me that Schaub is a bus driver QB, not a QB that can carry his team the way Flacco has done before and did yesterday.

The Ravens are just a better coached team, with better collective talent. To get where we want to go, change is necessary, otherwise we will be stuck in contender mediocrity and the window will close. There is nothing wrong with showing respect to an opponent.

Your logic is flawed on so many levels, one just has to laugh....First of all, how is showing some respect to Flacco termed a "love affair"? Grow up. Schaub and Flacco are two different QBs with different skill sets. Flacco has taken his team to the playoffs 5 times in a row. How many chances did Schaub have to get this team in the playoffs?

So Schaub finally gets in, ONCE with a team where he isn't even in the top 5 of most important Texans(Watt, Brown, Foster, Andre, Cush). A team that went just as far with our back up QB from last year. Schaub didn't "take a shot" and miss. He never bothered to even take a shot. Its clear to me that Schaub is a bus driver QB, not a QB that can carry his team the way Flacco has done before and did yesterday.

The Ravens are just a better coached team, with better collective talent. To get where we want to go, change is necessary, otherwise we will be stuck in contender mediocrity and the window will close. There is nothing wrong with showing respect to an opponent.

It's a good thing to give respect to an opponent.
I give the Ravens a lot of credit.

They had a top 3 defense ever since Flacco was on board.
This year, they took some hits to rest some of their defensive players for the play-offs.

They have had a good running game, too - even before they signed Leach.
Don't just look at the stats.
They've been able to keep their offensive unit very healthy as compared to the Texans.

And this is one of the key throughout the last several years.
Their older players have been able to stay healthy and/or to keep up their level of play while the younger ones develop.

The same cannot be said about the Texans.
They have had a bunch of players missing time or playing more hurt.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Sorry, maybe the term "love affair" was poorly chosen.

The main point I'm trying to convey is football is a team game, but it seems like many people have forgotten that. Flacco didn't get the Ravens into the SB (or 5 straight playoffs), just like Schaub didn't lose to the Patriots. Wins and losses go far beyond just the QB.

Sorry, maybe the term "love affair" was poorly chosen.

The main point I'm trying to convey is football is a team game, but it seems like many people have forgotten that. Flacco didn't get the Ravens into the SB (or 5 straight playoffs), just like Schaub didn't lose to the Patriots. Wins and losses go far beyond just the QB.

It is a team game, I'm the first to always say that. But some teams just have better parts. Me and others are just giving Flacco due respect.

Well if we're going to crazy world of dreams land, I'd rather us have drafted Aaron Rodgers instead of Travis Johnson in 2005.

Or Roddy White or Heath Miller or Logan Mankins... all three were 1st rounders after Johnson.

But seriously, the draft what if game is a very sad one to play. Everyone misses at some point. Some are unlucky and other teams are habitual missers.

Back