Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-21-2013   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Joe Flacco elite?

I don't think he's elite, but I do think he's borderline Tier 2/3 of QBs. Still quite a few QBs I would take over him though, but he sure did make himself some money this year. I expect the Ravens to franchise tag him, and make him prove it again next year (or at least that's what I would do).
Old 01-21-2013   #22
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 5456 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

He is too inconsistent thruout the season to be elite.

He is like Eli Manning in that he is riding a hot streak and may very well win a Super Bowl while riding it. If that happens, we will then see if he elevates his game to a consistent elite level. But, Eli got the same hype after his SB wins and didn't build on it, reverting to his inconsistent self the next season. Roethlisberger may fall into this category as well.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #23
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
I think a good argument could be made for him.
This is a joke.

He had a great playoff run. That doesn't make him elite even in the slightest bit. He is improving, but boy some of you guys sling the "elite" word around really loosely. Reminds me of the guys that started calling Eli elite when he never even led a top offense in this league. Elite QB's lead top offenses every year or at least lead several clutch drives in SB victories. Eli has at least done that twice, but going back and breaking INT records and imploding the very next season hasn't helped his case either.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about Flacco's elite status, but hearing that he's got more road playoff wins than any QB in NFL history is pretty impressive. They said he has more road playoff wins than 19 teams in the league.

Joe Flacco records record road win
Old 01-21-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
I think a good argument could be made for him.
I also think he's developing along the same lines as Tom Brady. Early in his career, he had success because of a great defense. Now, he's stepping up & rising to the challenge. He does have a better supporting cast at the skill position than Brady ever had (in their totality) so it's kinda hard to say.

But he's definitely a better QB than he was just last year.
Old 01-21-2013   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

It appears to me that Flacco was better than Cam Cameron was allowing him to be.

Going back to 2008, ProFootballFocus rated Flacco at 21st/37, 8th/40, 14th/37, 29th/38, and just 20th/38 this year.

Flacco has never rated higher than Matt Schaub, which emphasizes -- to me, anyway -- that other factors were holding him back.

But there are still a number of QBs I'd rather have at the helm than Joe.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #27
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97du1N7Znb0

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2013   #28
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Two games does not an elite player make. He's been inconsistent at best and there's been a lot of talk about over the years if he's the QB the Ravens need. I think he's another Eli. Wonky in the regular season and can turn it on in the post season. Let's see what he does in two weeks.

I wish folks would stop making snap judgements about players based on an aberration with an otherwise middling track record. People's opinions about "eliteness" are like a fart in a windstorm. Base it on a whole body of work, not just 2 games. Weren't Ravens fans bemoaning his performances just a few short months ago?

C'mon man!

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

everyone wants a label. All I know is that Flacco sure looks good when the Ravens spread out and he handcuffs are off of him. Just look at the first half when they ran the ball in conventional sets on first down almost exclusively and then in the second half when they ran more of a spread offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #30
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Two games does not an elite player make. He's been inconsistent at best and there's been a lot of talk about over the years if he's the QB the Ravens need. I think he's another Eli. Wonky in the regular season and can turn it on in the post season. Let's see what he does in two weeks.

I wish folks would stop making snap judgements about players based on an aberration with an otherwise middling track record. People's opinions about "eliteness" are like a fart in a windstorm. Base it on a whole body of work, not just 2 games. Weren't Ravens fans bemoaning his performances just a few short months ago?

C'mon man!
I wish they would stop doing that about random QB's and more importantly about this team and our QB. One minute Flacco sucks, then people are questioning if he is elite or not. One minute Schaub is really good, and then he is totally worthless. It's all this knee jerk stuff that shows when certain people don't really know what they're talking about. I visited a Patriots board earlier and I see a ton of fans acting like Brady needs to be replaced and that Welker needs to go. Certain fans just don't have the stable mentality to analyze a sport to well. I wonder sometimes how they handle their finances when things don't go right.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #31
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113664 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about Flacco, but that man's cannon of an arm certainly is elite, just judging by the bombs he throws. I'd love to see him drop 50 yarders into Andre's hands, but I wouldn't want him as a Texan. Something about him makes me dislike him, maybe it's the arrogance I see...
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #32
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

A QB does not have to be elite just win which would help him become elite.
Old 01-21-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I still think Schaub is putting together a nice resume towards that status. A lot of people have written him off, but if he has another season like the last two & win in the play-offs, he'll be in that conversation.
Old 01-21-2013   #34
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a massive difference between very good and elite.

He's done a good job getting himself to the very good category. Elite? Got Avery long way to go.

Add me to the list of people that is getting tired of over-labelling athletes.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
yep. If Flacco has a couple more playoff runs like he did this year, a solid case could be made for him.

8 TDs and 0 INTS is impressive for three playoff games against top tier teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read