Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is Joe Flacco elite?

stingray

Hall of Fame
No. Elite is thrown around too much. Only elite Qb's are Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers, that's it.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think a good argument could be made for him.
Well, he out dueled, in order, Mr. Elite-in-Waiting, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning (IN Denver), and Tom Brady (IN Foxborough)...

Three gunfights against press-proclaimed "elite" QBs and he's still standing.

If he ain't, he's playing elite-level football this January.

Mr. Texan

All Pro
Well, he out dueled, in order, Mr. Elite-in-Waiting, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning (IN Denver), and Tom Brady (IN Foxborough)...

Three gunfights against press-proclaimed "elite" QBs and he's still standing.

If he ain't, he's playing elite-level football this January.
mark sanchez beat manning (in indy) and brady (in foxborough) in the playoffs as well.

i'm not sure about elite but he's playing very well right now.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If you had Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rogers would you trade him for Joe Flacco? (Removing age)
No. But the Ravens wouldn't trade Flacco for either of those guys, soooo...

It's like this, when a team gets, what they believe, is their franchise guy, they don't go looking to replace him with whoever the fans think is the hot QB du jour.

Your offense is built for his strengths and to hide his weaknesses. QBs, despite what we fans would like to believe, are not interchangeable from team to team or offensive scheme to scheme. Not without some growing pains.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If you had Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rogers would you trade him for Joe Flacco for a season? (Balancing age)
No for everybody but Rodgers.

Flacco is in the 6-10 range. Remember if not for a dropped Lee Evans pass Flacco would be playing in his 2nd consecutive SB.

Nawzer

Alienz
No. He had an elite game against the Broncos and today he had a very good game. He has a chance to become an elite QB if he keeps playing at a high level and winning. To me the elites are still: Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees.

MEGA SWATT

All Pro
No. He had an elite game against the Broncos and today he had a very good game. He has a chance to become an elite QB if he keeps playing at a high level and winning. To me the elites are still: Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees.
What have you done 4 me lately? Those guys sucked lately

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
Nope, not Flacco! BUT, I think Matt Ryan is headed in that direction. Not quiet there yet, but, definitely on his way. JMO!

Texcore

Hardcore Texan
Nope, not Flacco! BUT, I think Matt Ryan is headed in that direction. Not quiet there yet, but, definitely on his way. JMO!
I disagree completely and am curious how you come to that conclusion. I'd take Flacco over Ryan in a heart beat. Flacco is more fearless than Ryan and has won alot more playoff games than Ryan's 1 win.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
I don't think he's elite, but I do think he's borderline Tier 2/3 of QBs. Still quite a few QBs I would take over him though, but he sure did make himself some money this year. I expect the Ravens to franchise tag him, and make him prove it again next year (or at least that's what I would do).

cdollaz

Rookie
He is too inconsistent thruout the season to be elite.

He is like Eli Manning in that he is riding a hot streak and may very well win a Super Bowl while riding it. If that happens, we will then see if he elevates his game to a consistent elite level. But, Eli got the same hype after his SB wins and didn't build on it, reverting to his inconsistent self the next season. Roethlisberger may fall into this category as well.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
This is a joke.

He had a great playoff run. That doesn't make him elite even in the slightest bit. He is improving, but boy some of you guys sling the "elite" word around really loosely. Reminds me of the guys that started calling Eli elite when he never even led a top offense in this league. Elite QB's lead top offenses every year or at least lead several clutch drives in SB victories. Eli has at least done that twice, but going back and breaking INT records and imploding the very next season hasn't helped his case either.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I also think he's developing along the same lines as Tom Brady. Early in his career, he had success because of a great defense. Now, he's stepping up & rising to the challenge. He does have a better supporting cast at the skill position than Brady ever had (in their totality) so it's kinda hard to say.

But he's definitely a better QB than he was just last year.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
It appears to me that Flacco was better than Cam Cameron was allowing him to be.

Going back to 2008, ProFootballFocus rated Flacco at 21st/37, 8th/40, 14th/37, 29th/38, and just 20th/38 this year.

Flacco has never rated higher than Matt Schaub, which emphasizes -- to me, anyway -- that other factors were holding him back.

But there are still a number of QBs I'd rather have at the helm than Joe.

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
Two games does not an elite player make. He's been inconsistent at best and there's been a lot of talk about over the years if he's the QB the Ravens need. I think he's another Eli. Wonky in the regular season and can turn it on in the post season. Let's see what he does in two weeks.

I wish folks would stop making snap judgements about players based on an aberration with an otherwise middling track record. People's opinions about "eliteness" are like a fart in a windstorm. Base it on a whole body of work, not just 2 games. Weren't Ravens fans bemoaning his performances just a few short months ago?

C'mon man!

Vinny

shiny happy fan
everyone wants a label. All I know is that Flacco sure looks good when the Ravens spread out and he handcuffs are off of him. Just look at the first half when they ran the ball in conventional sets on first down almost exclusively and then in the second half when they ran more of a spread offense.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Two games does not an elite player make. He's been inconsistent at best and there's been a lot of talk about over the years if he's the QB the Ravens need. I think he's another Eli. Wonky in the regular season and can turn it on in the post season. Let's see what he does in two weeks.

I wish folks would stop making snap judgements about players based on an aberration with an otherwise middling track record. People's opinions about "eliteness" are like a fart in a windstorm. Base it on a whole body of work, not just 2 games. Weren't Ravens fans bemoaning his performances just a few short months ago?

C'mon man!
I wish they would stop doing that about random QB's and more importantly about this team and our QB. One minute Flacco sucks, then people are questioning if he is elite or not. One minute Schaub is really good, and then he is totally worthless. It's all this knee jerk stuff that shows when certain people don't really know what they're talking about. I visited a Patriots board earlier and I see a ton of fans acting like Brady needs to be replaced and that Welker needs to go. Certain fans just don't have the stable mentality to analyze a sport to well. I wonder sometimes how they handle their finances when things don't go right.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
I don't know about Flacco, but that man's cannon of an arm certainly is elite, just judging by the bombs he throws. I'd love to see him drop 50 yarders into Andre's hands, but I wouldn't want him as a Texan. Something about him makes me dislike him, maybe it's the arrogance I see...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A QB does not have to be elite just win which would help him become elite.
I still think Schaub is putting together a nice resume towards that status. A lot of people have written him off, but if he has another season like the last two & win in the play-offs, he'll be in that conversation.

toronto

Hall of Fame
There is a massive difference between very good and elite.

He's done a good job getting himself to the very good category. Elite? Got Avery long way to go.

Add me to the list of people that is getting tired of over-labelling athletes.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A QB does not have to be elite just win which would help him become elite.
yep. If Flacco has a couple more playoff runs like he did this year, a solid case could be made for him.

8 TDs and 0 INTS is impressive for three playoff games against top tier teams.