Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2013   #1
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans 2009 Draft

they say it take 4 years 2 judge a draft so well its been 4 years so what do yall think ..????

1/15
Brian Cushing
Linebacker USC

2/46
Connor Barwin
Defensive end Cincinnati

3/77
Antoine Caldwell
Center Alabama

4/112
Glover Quin
Cornerback New Mexico

4/122 (from Minnesota)
Anthony Hill
Tight end North Carolina State

5/152
James Casey
Tight end Rice

6/188
Brice McCain
Cornerback Utah

7/223

Troy Nolan
Safety Arizona State
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2009 Draft

1/15
Brian Cushing-Great Pick
Linebacker USC

2/46
Connor Barwin-BUST PICK
Defensive end Cincinnati

3/77
Antoine Caldwell-Bust Pick
Center Alabama

4/112
Glover Quin
Cornerback New Mexico-Great Pick

4/122 (from Minnesota)
Anthony Hill-BUST PICK

5/152
James Casey-Has a TE a BUST PICK
Tight end Rice

6/188-GREAT PICK
Brice McCain
Cornerback Utah

7/223

Troy Nolan-Good PICK
Safety Arizona State

man for a 6th a 7 rounder we found some good talent thats just shows every draft pick is precious 4 outta 4 tho thats not that good of a draft
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #3
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
1/15
Brian Cushing-Great Pick
Linebacker USC

2/46
Connor Barwin-BUST PICK
Defensive end Cincinnati

3/77
Center Alabama

4/112
Glover Quin

4/122 (from Minnesota)
Anthony Hill-BUST PICK

5/152
Tight end Rice

6/188-GREAT PICK
Brice McCain
Cornerback Utah

7/223

Troy Nolan-Good PICK
Safety Arizona State

man for a 6th a 7 rounder we found some good talent thats just shows every draft pick is precious 4 outta 4 tho thats not that good of a draft
I've been extremely critical and hard on Barwin, but to call him a bust as a second round pick is a bit too harsh I think.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #4
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1/15
Brian Cushing-Great Pick
Linebacker USC

2/46
Connor Barwin-BUST PICK
Defensive end Cincinnati

3/77
Center Alabama

4/112
Glover Quin

4/122 (from Minnesota)
Anthony Hill-BUST PICK

5/152
Tight end Rice

6/188-GREAT PICK
Brice McCain
Cornerback Utah

7/223

Troy Nolan-Good PICK
Safety Arizona State

I agree w/ most, BUT I don't think I would call McCain a "great" pick. He was a key contributor for being a late round pick, but he struggled in 2010 had a good year in 2011 & was inconsistent this season before being injured. He definetly was not playing as well as he did in 2011. Not only that there is a chance he might not even return next season.

Also, you do realize the Texans have cut Nolan twice & the Dolphins cut him once all in 1 season. He remained unemployed after the Texans cut him last so I'm not quite sure he would qualify as a "good" pick either.

After all that you are down to Quin, Barwin, & Cushing. It's a possibility we could lose Barwin, so once again there is another draft class that didn't do as much as expected for the Texans IMO.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

So it's 4 years now? Could have sworn we did this last year.
Old 01-21-2013   #6
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
they say it take 4 years 2 judge a draft so well its been 4 years so what do yall think ..????

1/15
Brian Cushing-Great Pick
Linebacker USC

2/46
Connor Barwin-Good Pick
Defensive end Cincinnati

3/77
Antoine Caldwell-Bust
Center Alabama

4/112
Glover Quin-Great Pick
Cornerback New Mexico

4/122 (from Minnesota)
Anthony Hill-Bust

5/152
James Casey-Good Pick
Tight end Rice

6/188
Brice McCain-Good Pick
Cornerback Utah

7/223

Troy Nolan-Solid
Safety Arizona State
A lot of good picks late and a stud in the 1st.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #7
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
A lot of good picks late and a stud in the 1st.
I'm just wondering how you grade Nolan out as "solid" despite being cut twice by the Texans & Dolphins & claim Caldwell is bust despite still being employed. Dont get me wrong, I like Nolan & thought he had more to offer then Keo, but obviously the Texans & Dolphins disagreed as he his looking for work as we speak. Just wondering...
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2013   #8
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nolan was still with the team after four years as a seventh round pick. I would say that was at least a "good" pick.

Mccain was the #3 CB as a sixth round pick. I don't really expect that much from a sixth rounder, so I'm good with saying that's a "great" pick.

I would say James Casey (as a fifth rounder) was a "good" pick. I think he would be a better TE than he would be a FB, but a starting player for a 5th rounder should go into the "good" category.

Quin, without a doubt in my mind, would be considered a "great" pick. Same with Cushing.

Caldwell is a bust. He didn't impress in his first year starting.

I would say Barwin was an "Ok" pick. Not good, but I wouldn't constitute him as a bad or bust pick either.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #9
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I'm just wondering how you grade Nolan out as "solid" despite being cut twice by the Texans & Dolphins & claim Caldwell is bust despite still being employed. Dont get me wrong, I like Nolan & thought he had more to offer then Keo, but obviously the Texans & Dolphins disagreed as he his looking for work as we speak. Just wondering...
One was a seventh round pick, the other a 3rd rounder. A third round guard is expected to start down the line. A seventh rounder still being around after three seasons? Has to constitute as a solid pick in the round he was selected.
Old 01-21-2013   #10
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
One was a seventh round pick, the other a 3rd rounder. A third round guard is expected to start down the line. A seventh rounder still being around after three seasons? Has to constitute as a solid pick in the round he was selected.
Fair enough. Don't quite agree, but I can see some of the logic. I look at the fact that Nolan only lasted 3 yrs, considering he was cut by the Texans in the preseason & is unemployed as we speak. Nolan never pushed to be a starter, but did have some good moments. Caldwell hasn't panned out for a 3rd rounder as far as a starter, but was a decent backup & is still employed is how I kinda look at it.
Old 01-21-2013   #11
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Fair enough. Don't quite agree, but I can see some of the logic. I look at the fact that Nolan only lasted 3 yrs, considering he was cut by the Texans in the preseason & is unemployed as we speak. Nolan never pushed to be a starter, but did have some good moments. Caldwell hasn't panned out for a 3rd rounder as far as a starter, but was a decent backup & is still employed is how I kinda look at it.
Being around for three years, to me, is a solid 7th round pick. No complaints with that. A 3rd round OG is expected to start, or at least be an acceptable backup. Caldwell wasn't good this year, and he gives me no reason to not label that pick as a "bust" right now. It's simply the difference in the expectation of a 3rd rounder to a 7th, to me.
Old 01-22-2013   #12
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 60163 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

1/15
Brian Cushing - Great pick, 2 time DROY
Linebacker USC

2/46
Connor Barwin - Average pick, he is ok, not great but not a bust.
Defensive end Cincinnati

3/77
Antoine Caldwell - Slightly below average, got play time and is just below average quality when starting. Could be worse.
Center Alabama

4/112
Glover Quin - Good pick, not great, but very good. He is great at what he is best at, but still struggles deep, but good for this draft position.
Cornerback New Mexico

4/122 (from Minnesota)
Anthony Hill - Bad pick, not really a bust in the 4th round, but not good at all.

5/152
James Casey - Very good pick, based on round and value he added to the team the last few seasons, he was a good pick. I expect him to get a contract we don't match this off-season.
Tight end Rice

6/188
Brice McCain - Great pick based on draft selection. If we leave him in the slot vs smaller wide outs he is a great corner, when we start putting him on bigger wide outs he gets eaten alive.
Cornerback Utah

7/223

Troy Nolan - Average, just because he played for us doesn't make him good, it means we had 0 good safeties.
Safety Arizona State
Old 01-22-2013   #13
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

How on earth is James Casey a bust?? Barwin isn't a bust either, he had a down year, but that doesn't make him a bust
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #14
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
How on earth is James Casey a bust?? Barwin isn't a bust either, he had a down year, but that doesn't make him a bust
You obviously have never seen Norg.

He is an interesting guy to say the least.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #15
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
You obviously have never seen Norg.

He is an interesting guy to say the least.
He doesn't know the difference between the words "has" and "as" so if you're expecting deep thoughts from Norg you're in the wrong place.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251670 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
I've been extremely critical and hard on Barwin, but to call him a bust as a second round pick is a bit too harsh I think.

I agree. If we keep him and he produces like he did in 2011 he's a great pick, no doubt about it. Now if he comes out in 2013 and plays like he did this year again then I think a case could be made for him not being a good pick.
Old 01-22-2013   #17
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
He doesn't know the difference between the words "has" and "as" so if you're expecting deep thoughts from Norg you're in the wrong place.
Haha. I'm just informing the newer users on what we've got with Norg.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say 2009 was a pretty good year for the Texans draft. 2010 was also a pretty decent draft too:

1/20 Kareem Jackson Cornerback Alabama - Certainly better than what I thought 2 years ago.
2/58 (from New England) Ben Tate Running back Auburn - Pretty good runner, certainly would want more consistency but he will be in the NFL for more years.
3/81 Earl Mitchell Defensive tackle Arizona - Eh, rotational starter at best but not a terrible pick.
4/102 (from Kansas City) Darryl Sharpton Linebacker Miami (FL) - Not that great of a pick, although I liken this not being good more to injuries than lack of skill.
4/118 Garrett Graham Tight end Wisconsin - Really like this pick
5/144 (from Kansas City) Sherrick McManis Cornerback Northwestern - Not a good pick for the Texans but is still in the league.
6/187 Shelley Smith Offensive guard Colorado State - Not a good pick.
6/197 (from San Diego) Trindon Holliday Wide receiver LSU - Not good for us, but does have a spot in the NFL.
7/227 Dorin Dickerson Tight end Pittsburgh - Don't think he's in the league anymore but not that great.

It falls off near the end but I can't really complain about any of the picks until we get to McMannis in the 5th round.
Old 01-22-2013   #19
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Dickerson played with Buffalo this year. Didn't get much PT but he's still in the league. Was a FB hybrid when used this season.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Dickerson played with Buffalo this year. Didn't get much PT but he's still in the league. Was a FB hybrid when used this season.
9 catches for the year.

How many did Posey, Jean, and Martin had?

Shelley Smith started 6 games for the Rams.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read