Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2013   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Antonio Smith Defensive Lineman 2/28/2009: Signed a five-year, $35.5 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus. 2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/hou/
I was afraid he was to become a FA this year, but not so since we have him thru the season and he does become a FA next year, in 2014.
He's gonna cost us 6 M bucks for 2013: is he worth it, but better yet do you think Smith & Kubiak think he's worth it ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #2
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

As much as I like Smith, I don't really want to pay him that much next year. I'd rather pick up a veteran FA WR for a few years. The issue though is outside of Watt, he was the only getting any pressure on the QB.

I think we ended up keeping him, but not resigning him after next season. Maybe draft a DE this season to groom/rotate in?
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Antonio Smith Defensive Lineman 2/28/2009: Signed a five-year, $35.5 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus. 2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent
I was afraid he was to become a FA this year, but not so since we have him thru the season and he does become a FA next year, in 2014.
He's gonna cost us 6 M bucks for 2013: is he worth it, but better yet do you think Smith & Kubiak think he's worth it ?
Yes he is worth it. I think they will try and resign him this year with an extension. Hopefully he takes it. I don't see them cutting him this year no matter what.
Old 01-19-2013   #4
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mentioned this another thread & said that is quite a bit for Antonio. He did have 1 of his better seasons & I've always respected the intensity that he brings because he was 1 of the 1st high motor guys that helped transform this defense, but the Texans will need to free up cash to resign a couple of key players this offseason & potentially try to lock up Cushing as well. I like Antonio & wouldn't mind keeping him around, but money talks & depending on how the coaches & Smith value Antonio is what really matters. Do they think Crick can replace Antonio or do they consider taking a chance on getting a DE in the draft early & making them an instant starter? Who knows, but 1 thing is for sure...most of us would've never suspected DeMeco to be traded or Winston to be cut last season. Considering Antonio's cost, anything could happen imo.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #5
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Really good teams walk a fine line between maxing out the salary cap and keeping more experienced players. You see it every year with the Steelers and the Pats, each team will release someone you look at and say "Wow, they released him?" I think Smith is a very good player but, at 31, he's not the player he once was and not the heart of our defense anymore. I wouldn't be suprised if they released him.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Really good teams walk a fine line between maxing out the salary cap and keeping more experienced players. You see it every year with the Steelers and the Pats, each team will release someone you look at and say "Wow, they released him?" I think Smith is a very good player but, at 31, he's not the player he once was and not the heart of our defense anymore. I wouldn't be suprised if they released him.
He had probably his best year as a pro. He is a big part of this defense. If you think Smith isnt worth 6 million wait till you see what Quin and Barwin will get offered on the open market. They will both get offers that we won't match. I see us letting both walk via FA.

You are right its possible. But if you take all things in to consideration (the draft, existing depth, FA and the salary cap) it would be alot harder to replace Smith than either of those guys.
Old 01-19-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely worth it, imo.

Antonio was rated by PFF as the 6th best 3-4 DE in 2012. Watt #1. (34 DEs qualified for >25% of team snaps)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2013   #8
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's definitely worth it, but at his age I believe that we should be able to work something out with him that puts cash in his bank account up front and lowers his salary to a couple of mill per year for say 3 years, plenty of time to look for his eventual replacement, think it was Dutch who came up with that option and if he'd take it that'd be perfect for the team.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith restructured his contract in 2011. I don't know if there is any information regarding what this does to his cap hit, if released. Without that information, it's difficult to make an informed opinion. On the surface, I would say no, that salary needs to come down. I would consider extending Smith to a couple of more years if it would lower his cap number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If you think Smith isnt worth 6 million wait till you see what Quin and Barwin will get offered on the open market. They will both get offers that we won't match. I see us letting both walk via FA.
I think Barwin should be allowed to test free agency. I wouldn't offer him more than a year. Quin is a solid member of the defense. Not spectacular and not irreplaceable. Manning got 4 years, $20 million in 2011. I could see Quin getting a similar offer, though he's not as good as Manning.
Old 01-19-2013   #10
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

What's Jamison's situation? Is he a FA? Is he expected to come back 100%?

That's besides the point. Antonio is our 2nd best pass rusher and the only guy drawing extra attention besides Watt. He's a must to keep around next year.

Excited for Jamison coming back though, he's an ideal backup DE. Crick didn't seem like much of a difference maker out there, but he has room to improve.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #11
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Crick kind of hit a rookie wall. He was really good early on; kind of tapered off a bit down the stretch.

Anyway, need to keep this guy for sure.
Old 01-20-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't think we were getting our money's worth out of him, when we signed him to a deal that paid him $8M a year over the first three years.

This year, 2012, I have no problem paying him $8M..... I don't know what his cap number was for the year, or how the contract worked out, I thought he restructured.

His number has got to "fit" within the cap but I wouldn't mind seeing a $6M/yr deal with performance bonuses where a year like 2012 would get him an extra 2-3 mil.
Old 01-20-2013   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Same question but for Wade Smith? $3m this year, FA in 2014.

Edit: for reference Mike Briesel was paid 4.35m by the Raiders.
Old 01-20-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yes he is worth it. I think they will try and resign him this year with an extension. Hopefully he takes it. I don't see them cutting him this year no matter what.
My sentiments exactly, he's absolutely worth the money. I'd like to see the Texans restructure and extend his contract another 2 yrs. while bringing down the cap hit. JJ Watt might get all the stats but when he does make the play in the backfield most times it's Smith taking on a double team on the other side of the D-line. I see teams handling Cody easily with one blocker. If we get a better NT to take those double teams it will free Smith to make more plays.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Same question but for Wade Smith? $3m this year, FA in 2014.

Edit: for reference Mike Briesel was paid 4.35m by the Raiders.
I don't know how Wade Smith made the Pro Bowl, but the easy answer to your question is no. Wade Smith is not worth re-signing. I think we should draft his replacement this year in the 2nd or 3rd round and let this rookie sit for a year behind Wade while getting some playing time to learn and then start at LG in 2014.

The Raiders overpaid for a RG.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I don't know how Wade Smith made the Pro Bowl, but the easy answer to your question is no. Wade Smith is not worth re-signing. I think we should draft his replacement this year in the 2nd or 3rd round and let this rookie sit for a year behind Wade while getting some playing time to learn and then start at LG in 2014.

I think we already drafted his replacement in the 3rd or 4th round of last years Draft (2012 Draft). And as to why or how he made it to the PB, the same question could be asked of perhaps a fourth or a third of the guys there ? Several if not many players get to the PB every year for reasons other than their performance on the field.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #17
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think the answer is pretty simple concerning the Pro Bowl. The Pro Bowl is a complete joke & the worst excuse for an "All Star" game in pro sports. It's normally voted on by uninformed fans who can vote multiple times. That's a combination that normally doesn't lead to good things imo. Normally players that play on teams doing well get the votes regardless of their performance. Which normally leads to good players being snubbed year in & year out. Perfect example...Duane Brown. He's been our best o-lineman for quite some time yet Myers made it before him & the year Brown finally makes its the same year Wade Smith gets his 1st. That's a shame imo. At one point during the voting Caldwell was amongst the top vote getters at G & he had already lost his job to Jones. That is a perfect example of how silly it is at times imo.

It's simply a popularity contest not voted on by the most knowledgeable fans. Which is exactly why when someone tries to use Pro Bowls as justification for a players abilities & worth I normally don't pay much mind. Being named All Pro holds a lot more water to me when talking about a players abilities & worth.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I would think Brooks is his repacement. I think that's why Kubiak rotated him with Ben Jones this year, to get it out of the way. Next year, Brooks will compete with Smith & Jones will start at RG.

I've got concerns about Newton, but he did have a knee thing & that could explain a lot. But the same goes for Smith, he's been battling through stuff as well. If there's reason to believe he can play like 2009, I've got no problem keeping him & starting him if the cap allows.
Old 01-20-2013   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
It's simply a popularity contest not voted on by the most knowledgeable fans.
Fans only account for one third of the selection. Players and coaches account for the other two thirds.
Old 01-20-2013   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Really depends who we are looking at losing this and next year. Smith had a pretty good year, but my bigger concern is about losing Quinn and what's behind him at S, Demps and Keo whom both just are defensive sieves.

Far as I am concerned, Barwin is likely to walk. Down year and it's easier to find a pass rusher outside in this system than it will be to find a suitable replacement at safety because I've seen nothing to suggest this franchise is going to ever invest a high pick at safety.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read