Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2013   #1
GRONKED
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NE just a bad matchup?

Great game guys.

Easy on the doom n gloom..you have a great team that has been making huge strides...I expect you in the afc elite for years to come as long as andrew luck doesn't start owning the division.

Question..do you think the pats could just be an awful matchup?

Ie, the ravens could never do anything about Peytons colts. Even when they were similar quality and similar record teams..Peyton blew them out and made them look bad, consistently.

Likewise..those colts regularly choked vs chargers.

Just looking at some of the matchups..you love to run the ball up the middle and really establish your offense around foster. Well foster, meet wilfork.

On d...jj watt is phenomenal, one of a kind. But brady was gettin it out ridiculously fast most of the time.

Jjo, an exceptional talent. .is on the outside covering. ...Lloyd?

Your injured lb core is Bradys favorite to pick on (wes, Hernandez and rb mismatch).
You guys blew out the ravens. ..and, ray Lewis or not, imo you woulda beat them again if you had advanced.

Fyi, not suggesting that Texans aren't flawed or that there isn't opportunity to improve. Just that youre a lot better than you look in Foxboro.

Thoughts?
GRONKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #2
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NE just a bad matchup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRONKED View Post
Great game guys.

Easy on the doom n gloom..you have a great team that has been making huge strides...I expect you in the afc elite for years to come as long as andrew luck doesn't start owning the division.

Ie, the ravens could never do anything about Peytons colts. Even when they were similar quality and similar record teams..Peyton blew them out and made them look bad, consistently.

Likewise..those colts regularly choked vs chargers.

Just looking at some of the matchups..you love to run the ball up the middle and really establish your offense around foster. Well foster, meet wilfork.

On d...jj watt is phenomenal, one of a kind. But brady was gettin it out ridiculously fast most of the time.

Jjo, an exceptional talent. .is on the outside covering. ...Lloyd?

Your injured lb core is Bradys favorite to pick on (wes, Hernandez and rb mismatch).
You guys blew out the ravens. ..and, ray Lewis or not, imo you woulda beat them again if you had advanced.

Fyi, not suggesting that Texans aren't flawed or that there isn't opportunity to improve. Just that youre a lot better than you look in Foxboro.

Thoughts?
Yes, I think it's a bad match-up for the Texans. Houston plays a man-coverage style defense. Elite QB's who can fit the ball into tight coverage can destroy it. Tom Brady is an elite QB that has eaten this defense up.

Now I don't quite understand why Schaub hasn't been effective against the Patriots defense but for whatever reason, he hasn't. For the most part the Texans offense hasn't been as effective since the first game in Foxboro, though. It could actually have nothing to do with the match-up, but it could just be the Texans offense in general.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #3
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 811 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

not sure about bad matchup they are just a better team..I have them beating the Ravens then losing to the 49ers in the sb..super jealous of your qb/coach.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #4
GRONKED
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respectedGRONKED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson80 View Post
not sure about bad matchup they are just a better team..I have them beating the Ravens then losing to the 49ers in the sb..super jealous of your qb/coach.
I think I woulda rather lost in the first round. Nothing stings more than a sb loss (especially when it always comes down to some 4th q comeback.) Not sure i can argue tho..SF is just scary on both sides of the ball
Old 01-16-2013   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think I woulda rather lost in the first round. Nothing stings more than a sb loss (especially when it always comes down to some 4th q comeback.) Not sure i can argue tho..SF is just scary on both sides of the ball
I don't know. I think you guys have the speed on the edges to control Kap if discipline is maintained. I guess Gronk is out and that is a blow but Hernandez and Welker can still hit the underneath crossing stuff for YAC. The Niners pull their best LB a lot. Gore likes to run right into Wilfork territory moreso than bounce outside (which I have no idea why we didn't run more of our wide zone stretch play). I expect you will beat the Ravens and we'll find out.

By the way (now that you are being much more civil) check out the Dynasty thread in the NFL forum. You will find your team gets plenty of respect.
Old 01-16-2013   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes we are a bad matchup with Brady, your O-line is excellent in pass protection and one of the best QB's ever cuts us up like a turkey at Thanksgiving. N.E. should beat the Ravens handily but I think S.F. will win the Super Bowl. Best of luck to you Gronked....
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i've been saying since preseason - we dont match up with the packers or patriots. the packers have a much higher chance of not showing up to full potential, and would give us a fair shot at stealing some games, but that's something we rarely see from the patriots. i'd expect us to lose 4 out of 5 against the patriots until we significantly improve our coverage from the linebacker position.

playcalling and discipline hasnt done us any favors this season against yall, so i think we should've kept both games much closer, but as you suggested we simply dont match up well at all against the patriots. you have the biggest hurdle for our offense - a wall at nose. our run plays are destroyed when the guards are pushed backwards at the snap and it dominoes from there. on defense, as i said it's about the linebackers. without cushing we have zero coverage ability and actually have to lean on our OLB's to drop or play man to man while the ILB's are running around lost.
Old 01-16-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Great game guys.

I definitely think NE is a big match up problem for us. Mainly because your play makers seem to play with more urgency, i.e. they know when they need to step up & they do it.

We've got a guy crossing the goal line with the football at eye level, but somehow it goes right through his fingers.

Offensively & defensively, we've got guys on this team that we believe match up with the great players all over this league, but when the bright lights are on, they show the world a totally different guy.

From QB to waterboy. We've got maybe three guys who get it. When playing the Patriots & their 11 to 15 guys who get it, we're out gunned.

Going against a Baltimore, or a Denver, we're on even ground. Our best 3 or 4 against their best 3 or 4.

But when your third string running back understands he's got to make a play & makes that play.... we can't compete with that.
Old 01-16-2013   #9
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I definitely think NE is a big match up problem for us. Mainly because your play makers seem to play with more urgency, i.e. they know when they need to step up & they do it.

We've got a guy crossing the goal line with the football at eye level, but somehow it goes right through his fingers.

Offensively & defensively, we've got guys on this team that we believe match up with the great players all over this league, but when the bright lights are on, they show the world a totally different guy.

From QB to waterboy. We've got maybe three guys who get it. When playing the Patriots & their 11 to 15 guys who get it, we're out gunned.

Going against a Baltimore, or a Denver, we're on even ground. Our best 3 or 4 against their best 3 or 4.

But when your third string running back understands he's got to make a play & makes that play.... we can't compete with that.
QFT. Really hit the nail on the head. I think it even spreads to coaching. We can say what we want about Belichek but the guy adapts and adjusts in pre-planning and during the game. Sometimes when watching the defense not line up in time or cover someone...at all...I had to say to my son 'It's like they didn't even watch any game film or prepare at all.' Not to mention our verrrryyyy slow no-huddle offense.

It's one thing to get beat man on man. It's another to come and seem un-prepared and get beat on the mental aspect.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

YES. A bad matchup for us.... especially without Cushing, and multiplied when in your house.

Our strengths match up with your strengths.... i.e. Watt vs your O-line and Bradys quick decision making/release. And our running game vs your run D (Vince Wilfork). Compounded by the fact that our offense is predicated off the running game, and the fact that we play far better with a lead.

Conversley your strengths matchup vs our weaknesses. Your passing game vs. wide open middle of the D (ILBs shredded).... and your passing game vs. our man coverage defense which is exposed when we cannot get to the QB. Our sacks were down this year without legit ILBs to confuse blitz packages and coverages.

Good luck vs. the Ravens. You wont need it. But as it has been said... the 49ers may be a bad matchup for you.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

For years the Texans FO tried to build a team that could beat the Manning-led Colts.

It looks like they have to set their sights higher now and try to build a team that can compete with the Patriots.

It seems every team in this league, including the Pats, has a team that gives them trouble. I heard a stat this morning about Brady in the playoffs. In his 6 losses, four of them had QB rating around 60. Two of those four games were against the Ravens. And looking at last year's AFC championship game, the Ravens should have won it if they could just execute simple things like catching an easy pass in the endzone.
Old 01-16-2013   #12
GRONKED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
For years the Texans FO tried to build a team that could beat the Manning-led Colts.

It looks like they have to set their sights higher now and try to build a team that can compete with the Patriots.

It seems every team in this league, including the Pats, has a team that gives them trouble. I heard a stat this morning about Brady in the playoffs. In his 6 losses, four of them had QB rating around 60. Two of those four games were against the Ravens. And looking at last year's AFC championship game, the Ravens should have won it if they could just execute simple things like catching an easy pass in the endzone.
Hmm usually when I think bad matchup I think giants for obvious reasons.

Brady has 2 playoff losses vs ravens? I thought just one, the week after wes got injured. But yeah, they always play us tough.
Old 01-16-2013   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmm usually when I think bad matchup I think giants for obvious reasons.

Brady has 2 playoff losses vs ravens? I thought just one, the week after wes got injured. But yeah, they always play us tough.
Good point on Giants. Coughlin just seems to have Belichick's number in Super Bowl matchups.

I heard the stat about the Ravens on that NFL Network morning show, but I did not verify the information. Not the first time they would be wrong, so take it fwiw.
Old 01-16-2013   #14
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. However, my concern is also how we match up with GB, SF, NYG, etc. or how will you win a SB if you get there?

If we do learn how to beat NE (like we learned to beat the ravens), we still need to smack down Denver, Luck/Colts and remain strong against the raves.
Old 01-16-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
QFT. Really hit the nail on the head. I think it even spreads to coaching. We can say what we want about Belichek but the guy adapts and adjusts in pre-planning and during the game.
I agree completely. I put this game as well as last year's divisional loss squarely on the coaches. I think Matt Schaub has a better game in him, but we didn't set things up in his favor. I know Arian has a better game in him, but we didn't set it up in his favor. I know Jj Watt, Kareem Jackson & Jjo have better games in them, but we did not set them up to succeed.

No doubt in my mind, that those coaches are smarter men than me. & if I could see opportunities we could have exploited, I don't understand why they didn't.
Old 01-16-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

This makes a lot of sense. Hopefully we'll be the top seed in the AFC South for years to come & we'll be playing the Patriots, Ravens, & Denvers every year.
Old 01-16-2013   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Anytime a team goes up against Tom Brady it's a bad matchup for them.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #18
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 27409 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Elite NFL teams can overcome bad matchups through exceptional coaching/preparation and top notch execution.

Does anyone believe that the Ravens really are better than the Broncos due to a fluke 70 yd pass where a safety makes a bad read and takes a terrible angle to get to Jacoby freakin' Jones??? But in that one split second it was a matter of terrible execution; and the result was--a Ravens win. Why not take a chance with :40 on the clock and Manning at the helm? What led us to a 43-13 win against the Ravens in week 7? Are we clearly that much better than the Ravens? I don't think we are.

I simply think that the preparation (Belicheck) that meets execution (Brady) is far better than most other teams across the league.

Until our game planning is ramped up a notch and our execution is able to overcome the simplest of mistakes--we are and will remain a squad with "potential."

My problem is, I see way too much talent on this team to execute as poorly as we do. We did very well through the first part of the season. What changed? Cushing was hurt. And? Was he that pivotal to our defense--and if so, why? Clearly there wasn't someone groomed to take over the leadership role in his absence, and our defense suffered immensly as a result. Why is this the case? That's a poor coaching imo. We were all so excited about Wade coming to town that we were oblivious to the possibility that he had his own limitations. But we can see them now.

Where do we go now?

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #19
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Who remembers the 90s Rockets? Who was the one team our Rockets couldn't beat?

Sonics.

That's what this is right now. Rockets = Texans, Pats = SuperSonics.

Wilfork is Kemp and Brady is Gary Payton, etc. So GRONKED is right with his thread title.
Old 01-18-2013   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't disagree, but the Pats are overall better than that Sonics team was. Some of it is matchup and some of it is just that Brady is that good.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read