Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Travis Henry - Are we interested or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

God of Wine

I would have added to the Henry thread already but it was locked.

Link

The Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tennessee Titans appear to be the three teams most interested in a deal for Bills RB Travis Henry. The Texans are an odd suitor due to the presence of RBs Domanick Davis, Jonathan Wells, Tony Hollings and Vernand Morency, but there's no question the Jaguars and Titans could use Henry's services. Each team has a No. 1 back (Fred Taylor, Chris Brown) with health issues and would rather not enter the season with a lack of backfield depth.

So are we interested in Henry or not?? Maybe he didn't get the office memo? :confused:

My guess would be "not". I think that DD will carry most of the rock this season and will share some time to keep his legs fresh for the later part of the games. I don't think we are in that bad of a spot to see us signing Henry. But I'll play devi's advocate here, :goodbad: ,I am all in favor of keeping DD.

Perhaps we are in this only to keep Henry away from Jacksonville and TN? Beats me, but we will see when we see.

We really don't need another back unless he is clearly a tier 1 or probably tier 1 back. Henry is not that.

We don't need Henry. We have DD whos done nothing but be great, we just drafted Morency so give him a chance, and we also have Hollings who I would like to see more often

TexansNeedRBin05 said:
Um I want whats best for the Texans? :homer:

Do you really? Then why can't you see that what they have in front of them is the best option for them right now? He has performed remarkably well in an offense that has been trying to find it's identity along with the learning curve of an expansion team, along with the learning curve of coming into the NFL...shall I continue? :brickwall

How can you not like DD? A 1st rd level player who we got in the 3rd? You gotta be crazy not to like him.

There's always gonna be someone who thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. I say....go find another team to complain about...cause you are barking up the wrong tree. I have a hard time with people pointing out how he has a fumbling problem...I forgot what the numbers were but they were rediculously low for the amount of touches he got throughout the season. So, "texansneedarbin05"....what is the basis of your complaint?

Cjeremy635 said:
I have a hard time with people pointing out how he has a fumbling problem...

After the 1st 2 games last season the number is ZERO. His fumbles per carry last year--1 fumble per 77 carries.

Travis Henry has fumbled 1 time per 41.8 carries.

Oh, and of the guys who rushed for more yards than DD last year (that would be 10 RB's) only 2 had less fumbles.

Cjeremy635 said:
There's always gonna be someone who thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. I say....go find another team to complain about...cause you are barking up the wrong tree. I have a hard time with people pointing out how he has a fumbling problem...I forgot what the numbers were but they were rediculously low for the amount of touches he got throughout the season. So, "texansneedarbin05"....what is the basis of your complaint?

Well his fumbling problem is bad but I watched the game last year and he looked to slow to hit the holes and not big enough to make holes! :bomb: Thats what the problem is! Sure its basis if you want a slow small back why dont YOU go find another team?

infantrycak said:
After the 1st 2 games last season the number is ZERO. His fumbles per carry last year--1 fumble per 77 carries.

Travis Henry has fumbled 1 time per 41.8 carries.

Oh, and of the guys who rushed for more yards than DD last year (that would be 10 RB's) only 2 had less fumbles.

Thats becasue alot of are spilting the Carrys between 2 backs. Stanley and Bettis probably both have less Yds. Than DD But there better.

Vinny said:
Perhaps we are in this only to keep Henry away from Jacksonville and TN? Beats me, but we will see when we see.
That was my 1st thought when I read it. 1 year deal, then trade him B-4 the deadline to some team in the NFC.

YodAa said:
How can you not like DD? A 1st rd level player who we got in the 3rd? You gotta be crazy not to like him.
Not to B technical but we got 'em in the 4th round. Promise. But you're right, he is a 1st round talent coming into his own.

TexansNeedRBin05 said:
Well his fumbling problem is bad but I watched the game last year and he looked to slow to hit the holes and not big enough to make holes! :bomb: Thats what the problem is! Sure its basis if you want a slow small back why dont YOU go find another team?

Well his fumbling problem is bad? Please, do you even understand stats? And yes, there was a couple of games last year that he looked a little tentative hitting the hole but that was at the beginning of the season when he a a "couple" of fumbles. Or, it could be associated to there not being a hole opened up for him to run through. I think you need to reasses your opinion big time. Another back in here and you would be complaining about the same thing next year.

LMAO @ listening to what a 15 year old says (thats not named YodAa, that is) Don't let him get to y'all.

Anyway...I wouldn't mind Henry, but I'm sure he wouldn't wanna be here, he'd be the backup.

Cjeremy635 said:
Well his fumbling problem is bad? Please, do you even understand stats? And yes, there was a couple of games last year that he looked a little tentative hitting the hole but that was at the beginning of the season when he a a "couple" of fumbles. Or, it could be associated to there not being a hole opened up for him to run through. I think you need to reasses your opinion big time. Another back in here and you would be complaining about the same thing next year.

I would not be too proud of defending a back that ever looked tentative. Quality back find or make their holes, especially in the zone scheme. Maybe it was that he was still adjusting to the new blocking scheme. But being tentative in this league is not something we need in a back.

wrestler4life said:
I would not be too proud of defending a back that ever looked tentative. Quality back find or make their holes, especially in the zone scheme. Maybe it was that he was still adjusting to the new blocking scheme. But being tentative in this league is not something we need in a back.

There were probably a combination of things making DD look "tentative" at the beginning of last year--concern over protecting the ball, niggling injuries, adjustment to the zone blocking and implementing the zone blocking. People act like the team just said we're zone blocking now and everything just installs itself seemlessly but it doesn't work that way. Watch some of the early games and you will see the OL taking angles off the snap so extreme they were almost travelling parrallel to the line of scrimmage. This often ended up with a big scrum pile with no holes. No holes equals a back who is looking for a hole who looks tentative. And spare me the "he should make his own holes" stuff (more to RB05 than you). No RB routinely creates their own holes parting seas of 300 lb DLmen and 250 lb LBs. Later in the season, the OL was taking much less extreme angles and actual holes existed that were well exploited by DD without a whiff of tentativeness.

I realize that your comment was not directed at me, and all I was saying is that a back should knife through. I am not expecting him to be an Earl-type back, and I think you are right... he was probab;y adjusting. He did really look good when he was healthy towards the end.

I agree, at the beginning of the year the OL looked pitiful with the zone blocking scheme. Twords the end of the season, you could finally see the OL open holes for DD. We all saw what our running game will look like this year in those last few games. Just think, our OL will be even better this year, now that they have had ample time to learn the zone scheme. I still think that we need to implement the cut block into our zone blocking. Our running game can be good, but will never be as good as Denver's without using the cut block. Alot of people say that cut blocks should be made illegal because they get people hurt. That is not entirely true. Most of the time when player get hurt in result of a cut block, is because the lineman executing the cut block is beat. The offensive lineman tries to cut the other player, but hits them in the side of the knee or clips them from behind. I am a firm believer of using cut/chop blocks, but only if use correctly. Well thats my :twocents:

Well, honestly, I am suprised that this thread has turned into two pages..lol. Goes to show you the bordom in this off season when we have to "argue the fact that we have a credible RB" to our own "so called" fans. Gees..give me a break. Anyways, I still don't understand why people expect a RB to make holes..everyone has a job and if the hole isn't there, then who's fault is it? DD's? No, the linemans fault. To the people saying that we "need" a bigger back--- without the hole in the line that might get you an extra yard at the most after running through the rugby scrum at the line of scrimmage. The total at the end of the year might equate to 30 yards..wow, lets trade our RB for the extra yardage total so our offense can still be ranked the same... :brickwall

Cjeremy635 said:
Anyways, I still don't understand why people expect a RB to make holes..everyone has a job and if the hole isn't there, then who's fault is it? DD's? No, the linemans fault. To the people saying that we "need" a bigger back--- without the hole in the line that might get you an extra yard at the most after running through the rugby scrum at the line of scrimmage.

Exactly, it is the OL's responsibility to make holes and the RB's responsibility to exploit them. The size thing just continually cracks me up. Among the RB's who rushed for more yards than DD last year, 5 were more than 5 lbs lighter than him, 4 were within 5 lbs of his weight and only 1 was more than 5 lbs heavier than him--Fred Taylor. And the ultimate irony of that is Taylor only had one rushing TD on the season because the big boy sucks as a goal line runner and has gotten pulled for years in goal line scenarios (short yardage ain't great for him either--they ran Fred on 3rd and 3 or less, 11 times last year and he gained a whopping 13 yards--DD ran 15 times on 3rd and 3 or less and gained 85 yards).

Big B Texan Fan said:
You don't want 'em, he's a team cancer according to John McClain. I mean just look @ how looong he's been available.

I think Henry has handled the situation fairly well myself. They drafted a RB 1st overall a couple of years ago inspite of the fact that Henry was in the top half of production in the league. I can understand why he would want to go elsewhere too.

The fact that Henry hasn't been traded may have more to do with the Bill's demands than Henry's abilities. I am not sure what they are asking for him, and I haven't followed it that closely. I would think they could get a low 2nd or high 3rd for him.

ThaShark316 said:
LMAO @ listening to what a 15 year old says (thats not named YodAa, that is) Don't let him get to y'all.

Anyway...I wouldn't mind Henry, but I'm sure he wouldn't wanna be here, he'd be the backup.

Yeah, I just looked that up. I feel crappy trying to argue facts with a 15 year old. That's like trying to argue with my 6 yr old daughter...it's a no win situation. Maybe that's why his posts continue with the same rambling response....."get rid of Davis"...he probably got his info from his dad or uncle or brother or ....... :loser

TheOgre said:
They drafted a RB 1st overall a couple of years ago inspite of the fact that Henry was in the top half of production in the league. I can understand why he would want to go elsewhere too.

Heck Henry was 5th in rushing yards right before they drafted McGahee--I'd be pissed too. The only way to justify the pick was McGahee should have gone top 3 in the draft so by being willing to wait a year they got a tremendous value for him.

infantrycak said:
Heck Henry was 5th in rushing yards right before they drafted McGahee--I'd be pissed too. The only way to justify the pick was McGahee should have gone top 3 in the draft so by being willing to wait a year they got a tremendous value for him.
Just imagine if McGahee never got hurt in the National Championship game. He could've wound up here if the Lions would've passed on him in the draft. Or even worse, the Lions draft McGahee and we chose Charlie Rogers intead of Andre Johnson. Ohhh the possibilities.

Big B Texan Fan said:
Just imagine if McGahee never got hurt in the National Championship game. He could've wound up here if the Lions would've passed on him in the draft. Or even worse, the Lions draft McGahee and we chose Charlie Rogers intead of Andre Johnson. Ohhh the possibilities.

As for Rogers, Casserly said we had AJ above Rogers. That may be smoke, but I believe it because Rogers already had a posse and AJ promised Casserly he would agree to a contract by training camp if selected. You will hear a few people say we would have taken McGahee but I have never seen a source for that. The rest of the draft doesn't really support RB being a huge priority (remember they had signed Mack) with the Texans passing on Musa Smith, Chris Brown, Justin Fargis, Artose Pinner, Onterrio Smith and Quentin Griffen.

infantrycak said:
As for Rogers, Casserly said we had AJ above Rogers. That may be smoke, but I believe it because Rogers already had a posse and AJ promised Casserly he would agree to a contract by training camp if selected. You will hear a few people say we would have taken McGahee but I have never seen a source for that. The rest of the draft doesn't really support RB being a huge priority (remember they had signed Mack) with the Texans passing on Musa Smith, Chris Brown, Justin Fargis, Artose Pinner, Onterrio Smith and Quentin Griffen.
Well I'm glad we got what we got. AJ gets me fired up. Did anyone catch the Fox Sports SW deal on him and his uncle earlier tonight?

why do we need another back in Henry for a pick we could desperately use at tight end or left tackle or any other line position when we have a 3rd round rookie, and a starter that averaged over 100 yards a game the last half of the season?(look it up) plus a big back in wells and a hollings unproven back.

jacquescas said:
why do we need another back in Henry for a pick we could desperately use at tight end or left tackle or any other line position when we have a 3rd round rookie, and a starter that averaged over 100 yards a game the last half of the season?(look it up) plus a big back in wells and a hollings unproven back.
One reason is to keep him away from the titans and the jags. They're interested supposedly. Then we'd just turn right back around and trade him to an NFC team.

that maybe works in madden, but at most a year would have to pass, mid season trades are so rare and a player traded twice in an offseason is next to unheard of. With the complicated playbooks and etc the nfl can't just plug someone in as easy as baseball and basketball.

jacquescas said:
that maybe works in madden, but at most a year would have to pass, mid season trades are so rare and a player traded twice in an offseason is next to unheard of. With the complicated playbooks and etc the nfl can't just plug someone in as easy as baseball and basketball.
Yea you're right but Casserly is known to draft someone with the intention to trade them. Why not trade for for someone to keep that person away from one of our div. foes. We could probably get back close to what we lost in the trade via another trade. IT WON'T HAPPEN, I know. But if it did, then it means that the hatred for the jags had extended into the FO.
There are reports that we were interested/not interested/interested again. Maybe we're just showing interest to force the jags to give more than they would normally give up for him.
Man, I don't know and I really don't care, when does the season start again, I'm obviously bored?????

TexansNeedRBin05 said:
Thats becasue alot of are spilting the Carrys between 2 backs. Stanley and Bettis probably both have less Yds. Than DD But there better.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE GUYS WHO HAD MORE RUSHING YARDS THAN HIM, THATS NOT BETTIS OR STALEY. YEAH HE HAD A LITTLE PROBLEM HOLDING ON TO THE BALL THE FIRST 2 GAMES BUT LIKE CAK SAID HE HOLDS ONTO IT BETTER THAN HENRY AND 8 OF THE 10 TOP RUSHERS FROM LAST SEASON.

Here we go again:

-- Titans Still Eyeing Henry --
Thu Jun 23, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Nashville Tennessean reports Titans GM Floyd Reese is laying low these days. He knows the Buffalo Bills want to dump disgruntled RB Travis Henry because RB Willis McGahee is assured of starting ahead of the former Tennessee star. The Bills have cast the bait, GM Tom Donahoe demanding a third-round draft pick for Henry. It must be said that Reese values draft picks right up there with his wife and running shoes. Prying a third-round draft pick out of Reese could prove excruciatingly difficult. There are others showing interest in Henry, a durable back who posted a 1,438-yard season in 2002, followed by a 1,356-yard year with the Bills before McGahee shuffled into Buffalo. He missed only one game in those two seasons, once playing on a broken leg. Two of the interested parties reside in the Titans division — Jacksonville and Houston. The Jaguars admitted they have interest in Henry. Veteran RB Fred Taylor has suffered his share of injuries and is on the downside of a brilliant-when-healthy career. Why are the Titans interested in Henry? Primarily because of the past injury record of third-year back Chris Brown. Brown has missed significant time over his first two seasons and suffered a broken hand in non-contact drills during the team's first offseason session. Brown becomes a restricted free agent after this season, while Henry will be an unrestricted free agent. Reese insists the only way he would deal for Henry is if they can agree on a long-term contract. With NFL teams breaking camp and front office types and coaches taking vacations, don't look for much movement until training camps open.

I'm telling ya'll now...we're gonna get him. Watch...AND I don't really want the guy here. But I'm schoolin' you guys now...Henry will end up a Texan.

Sig it, remember it, save it..w/e...I'm going ON THE RECORD! :)

The only way that Henry becomes a Texan is if Davis gets hurt in the first day of Training Camp.

Other than that, we have about 20 positions that need upgrading way before RB.

no maybe 21 other positions. ?

Vambo said:
That is the only way this bs makes sense... look at the Texans talking about getting Wells some snaps at fullback. How many RB's do we need...

You can ALWAYS cut people or carry 4 RB. Even though I disagree lets say that we think Davis is a good to decent back. I will tell you right now Holling and some 3rd round 25 yearold Rookie are NOT better than Herny and since Wells is a FB I guess he doesnt count. I think if we brough Herny in he would beat DD out but hey maybe they spilt the Carries keep DD fresh and Herny is are goaline back. Since were zone blocking we might as well use the old Denver stragey "You can never have too many good RB"

As far as us getting a TE or OL not counting Verbra do you see any decent Linemen or TE? He is the best and I think everyone feel he about as good as the guys we have.

Also think about this say we give the Bills the Saints 3rd round pick. Would you rather have the T the Saints drafted and that 3rd rounder or TJ and that 3rd rounder or TJ and Herny? I say #3. I will probably get bashed on this post but I sure as heck dont want to see him run for 1,600 for the Jags (if he goes to the Titans that would still be ok they just suck.)

We might be able to keep that 3rd if gave the Bills Morncey (sp?) and like a 4th or 5th rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back