Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005   #21
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Well his fumbling problem is bad but I watched the game last year and he looked to slow to hit the holes and not big enough to make holes! Thats what the problem is! Sure its basis if you want a slow small back why dont YOU go find another team?
Well his fumbling problem is bad? Please, do you even understand stats? And yes, there was a couple of games last year that he looked a little tentative hitting the hole but that was at the beginning of the season when he a a "couple" of fumbles. Or, it could be associated to there not being a hole opened up for him to run through. I think you need to reasses your opinion big time. Another back in here and you would be complaining about the same thing next year.
Old 06-17-2005   #22
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

LMAO @ listening to what a 15 year old says (thats not named YodAa, that is) Don't let him get to y'all.

Anyway...I wouldn't mind Henry, but I'm sure he wouldn't wanna be here, he'd be the backup.
Old 06-17-2005   #23
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635
Well his fumbling problem is bad? Please, do you even understand stats? And yes, there was a couple of games last year that he looked a little tentative hitting the hole but that was at the beginning of the season when he a a "couple" of fumbles. Or, it could be associated to there not being a hole opened up for him to run through. I think you need to reasses your opinion big time. Another back in here and you would be complaining about the same thing next year.
I would not be too proud of defending a back that ever looked tentative. Quality back find or make their holes, especially in the zone scheme. Maybe it was that he was still adjusting to the new blocking scheme. But being tentative in this league is not something we need in a back.
Old 06-17-2005   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
I would not be too proud of defending a back that ever looked tentative. Quality back find or make their holes, especially in the zone scheme. Maybe it was that he was still adjusting to the new blocking scheme. But being tentative in this league is not something we need in a back.
There were probably a combination of things making DD look "tentative" at the beginning of last year--concern over protecting the ball, niggling injuries, adjustment to the zone blocking and implementing the zone blocking. People act like the team just said we're zone blocking now and everything just installs itself seemlessly but it doesn't work that way. Watch some of the early games and you will see the OL taking angles off the snap so extreme they were almost travelling parrallel to the line of scrimmage. This often ended up with a big scrum pile with no holes. No holes equals a back who is looking for a hole who looks tentative. And spare me the "he should make his own holes" stuff (more to RB05 than you). No RB routinely creates their own holes parting seas of 300 lb DLmen and 250 lb LBs. Later in the season, the OL was taking much less extreme angles and actual holes existed that were well exploited by DD without a whiff of tentativeness.
Old 06-17-2005   #25
wrestler4life
Veteran

I realize that your comment was not directed at me, and all I was saying is that a back should knife through. I am not expecting him to be an Earl-type back, and I think you are right... he was probab;y adjusting. He did really look good when he was healthy towards the end.
Old 06-17-2005   #26
Davis37
All Pro

I agree, at the beginning of the year the OL looked pitiful with the zone blocking scheme. Twords the end of the season, you could finally see the OL open holes for DD. We all saw what our running game will look like this year in those last few games. Just think, our OL will be even better this year, now that they have had ample time to learn the zone scheme. I still think that we need to implement the cut block into our zone blocking. Our running game can be good, but will never be as good as Denver's without using the cut block. Alot of people say that cut blocks should be made illegal because they get people hurt. That is not entirely true. Most of the time when player get hurt in result of a cut block, is because the lineman executing the cut block is beat. The offensive lineman tries to cut the other player, but hits them in the side of the knee or clips them from behind. I am a firm believer of using cut/chop blocks, but only if use correctly. Well thats my
Old 06-17-2005   #27
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, honestly, I am suprised that this thread has turned into two pages..lol. Goes to show you the bordom in this off season when we have to "argue the fact that we have a credible RB" to our own "so called" fans. Gees..give me a break. Anyways, I still don't understand why people expect a RB to make holes..everyone has a job and if the hole isn't there, then who's fault is it? DD's? No, the linemans fault. To the people saying that we "need" a bigger back--- without the hole in the line that might get you an extra yard at the most after running through the rugby scrum at the line of scrimmage. The total at the end of the year might equate to 30 yards..wow, lets trade our RB for the extra yardage total so our offense can still be ranked the same... :brickwall
Old 06-17-2005   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635
Anyways, I still don't understand why people expect a RB to make holes..everyone has a job and if the hole isn't there, then who's fault is it? DD's? No, the linemans fault. To the people saying that we "need" a bigger back--- without the hole in the line that might get you an extra yard at the most after running through the rugby scrum at the line of scrimmage.
Exactly, it is the OL's responsibility to make holes and the RB's responsibility to exploit them. The size thing just continually cracks me up. Among the RB's who rushed for more yards than DD last year, 5 were more than 5 lbs lighter than him, 4 were within 5 lbs of his weight and only 1 was more than 5 lbs heavier than him--Fred Taylor. And the ultimate irony of that is Taylor only had one rushing TD on the season because the big boy sucks as a goal line runner and has gotten pulled for years in goal line scenarios (short yardage ain't great for him either--they ran Fred on 3rd and 3 or less, 11 times last year and he gained a whopping 13 yards--DD ran 15 times on 3rd and 3 or less and gained 85 yards).
Old 06-17-2005   #29
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
You don't want 'em, he's a team cancer according to John McClain. I mean just look @ how looong he's been available.
I think Henry has handled the situation fairly well myself. They drafted a RB 1st overall a couple of years ago inspite of the fact that Henry was in the top half of production in the league. I can understand why he would want to go elsewhere too.

The fact that Henry hasn't been traded may have more to do with the Bill's demands than Henry's abilities. I am not sure what they are asking for him, and I haven't followed it that closely. I would think they could get a low 2nd or high 3rd for him.
Old 06-17-2005   #30
Davis37
All Pro

Im not positive, but I think the Bills were asking for a 3rd round pick for Henry and nobody would bite.
Old 06-17-2005   #31
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316
LMAO @ listening to what a 15 year old says (thats not named YodAa, that is) Don't let him get to y'all.

Anyway...I wouldn't mind Henry, but I'm sure he wouldn't wanna be here, he'd be the backup.

Yeah, I just looked that up. I feel crappy trying to argue facts with a 15 year old. That's like trying to argue with my 6 yr old daughter...it's a no win situation. Maybe that's why his posts continue with the same rambling response....."get rid of Davis"...he probably got his info from his dad or uncle or brother or .......
Old 06-17-2005   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
They drafted a RB 1st overall a couple of years ago inspite of the fact that Henry was in the top half of production in the league. I can understand why he would want to go elsewhere too.
Heck Henry was 5th in rushing yards right before they drafted McGahee--I'd be pissed too. The only way to justify the pick was McGahee should have gone top 3 in the draft so by being willing to wait a year they got a tremendous value for him.
Old 06-17-2005   #33
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Heck Henry was 5th in rushing yards right before they drafted McGahee--I'd be pissed too. The only way to justify the pick was McGahee should have gone top 3 in the draft so by being willing to wait a year they got a tremendous value for him.
Just imagine if McGahee never got hurt in the National Championship game. He could've wound up here if the Lions would've passed on him in the draft. Or even worse, the Lions draft McGahee and we chose Charlie Rogers intead of Andre Johnson. Ohhh the possibilities.
Old 06-17-2005   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Just imagine if McGahee never got hurt in the National Championship game. He could've wound up here if the Lions would've passed on him in the draft. Or even worse, the Lions draft McGahee and we chose Charlie Rogers intead of Andre Johnson. Ohhh the possibilities.
As for Rogers, Casserly said we had AJ above Rogers. That may be smoke, but I believe it because Rogers already had a posse and AJ promised Casserly he would agree to a contract by training camp if selected. You will hear a few people say we would have taken McGahee but I have never seen a source for that. The rest of the draft doesn't really support RB being a huge priority (remember they had signed Mack) with the Texans passing on Musa Smith, Chris Brown, Justin Fargis, Artose Pinner, Onterrio Smith and Quentin Griffen.
Old 06-18-2005   #35
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
As for Rogers, Casserly said we had AJ above Rogers. That may be smoke, but I believe it because Rogers already had a posse and AJ promised Casserly he would agree to a contract by training camp if selected. You will hear a few people say we would have taken McGahee but I have never seen a source for that. The rest of the draft doesn't really support RB being a huge priority (remember they had signed Mack) with the Texans passing on Musa Smith, Chris Brown, Justin Fargis, Artose Pinner, Onterrio Smith and Quentin Griffen.
Well I'm glad we got what we got. AJ gets me fired up. Did anyone catch the Fox Sports SW deal on him and his uncle earlier tonight?
Old 06-18-2005   #36
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

why do we need another back in Henry for a pick we could desperately use at tight end or left tackle or any other line position when we have a 3rd round rookie, and a starter that averaged over 100 yards a game the last half of the season?(look it up) plus a big back in wells and a hollings unproven back.
Old 06-18-2005   #37
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
why do we need another back in Henry for a pick we could desperately use at tight end or left tackle or any other line position when we have a 3rd round rookie, and a starter that averaged over 100 yards a game the last half of the season?(look it up) plus a big back in wells and a hollings unproven back.
One reason is to keep him away from the titans and the jags. They're interested supposedly. Then we'd just turn right back around and trade him to an NFC team.
Old 06-19-2005   #38
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

that maybe works in madden, but at most a year would have to pass, mid season trades are so rare and a player traded twice in an offseason is next to unheard of. With the complicated playbooks and etc the nfl can't just plug someone in as easy as baseball and basketball.
Old 06-19-2005   #39
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
that maybe works in madden, but at most a year would have to pass, mid season trades are so rare and a player traded twice in an offseason is next to unheard of. With the complicated playbooks and etc the nfl can't just plug someone in as easy as baseball and basketball.
Yea you're right but Casserly is known to draft someone with the intention to trade them. Why not trade for for someone to keep that person away from one of our div. foes. We could probably get back close to what we lost in the trade via another trade. IT WON'T HAPPEN, I know. But if it did, then it means that the hatred for the jags had extended into the FO.
There are reports that we were interested/not interested/interested again. Maybe we're just showing interest to force the jags to give more than they would normally give up for him.
Man, I don't know and I really don't care, when does the season start again, I'm obviously bored?????
Old 06-19-2005   #40
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Thats becasue alot of are spilting the Carrys between 2 backs. Stanley and Bettis probably both have less Yds. Than DD But there better.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE GUYS WHO HAD MORE RUSHING YARDS THAN HIM, THATS NOT BETTIS OR STALEY. YEAH HE HAD A LITTLE PROBLEM HOLDING ON TO THE BALL THE FIRST 2 GAMES BUT LIKE CAK SAID HE HOLDS ONTO IT BETTER THAN HENRY AND 8 OF THE 10 TOP RUSHERS FROM LAST SEASON.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read