Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2013   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I saw or "I think" I saw from the All-22

As usual, this is just one's man view.
Everybody is welcome to add their input.

Instead of taking notes and post them all at the same time, or a bunch at a time, I think I just post what I come up with because I will be in and out often.

The pass that Schaub missed AJ on the first drive.

Looks to me like a possible "not-on-the-same-page" kind of deal.

Schaub saw the safety McCourty coming from the other side, and therefore, probably expected AJ to go down the right hasmarks (or just inside) instead of going into the dead middle.

This was also suggested by Phil Simms on the replay.

Incompletion.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I saw or "I think" I saw from the All-22

I haven't taken a second look at it but my impression was that Schaub was a bit late on the throw then over threw it before his window closed and it just got away from him. He was open.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #3
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he flat out airmailed it. Didn't look at it closely though.
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I haven't taken a second look at it but my impression was that Schaub was a bit late on the throw then over threw it before his window closed and it just got away from him. He was open.
This is what Simms said at first, but after the replay, he injected the other comment.

I don't think it was an overthrow, or at least it doesn't look like an overthrow, the ball just wasn't on the same line where AJ was heading.

If AJ heads down the right hashmarks, he would have caught that ball.
McCourty was coming, so I can see why Schaub didn't throw the ball "on a line".
Old 01-15-2013   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yep. If the throw wouldve come earlier or if schaub had better anticipatory skills that's an easy throw and catch. The safety coming from the other side is almost non-relevant if you can throw the ball on time with some mustard behind it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yep. If the throw wouldve come earlier or if schaub had better anticipatory skills that's an easy throw and catch. The safety coming from the other side is almost non-relevant if you can throw the ball on time with some mustard behind it.
I think we need to take into consideration Arrington, who was on Walter.

He was eying Schaub.

I think Schaub needed for AJ to clear and therefore didn't want to throw the ball on the line and a hair sooner.

If he did, it looks like Arrington can jump it.

Best throw, I think, is still a ball with touch toward the back of the endzone.
Old 01-15-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Also, look at Talib; he was on AJ and only "broke off" to watch the possible cut by AJ the opposite way.

In a sense, it was almost like AJ was boxed in a triangle underneath.
It sure looks to me like the best throw is still a throw with a little of an arch toward the back of the endzone.

Why risk a throw underneath when you can clear all the defenders' reach?

Remember all this talk about throwing the receiver open.

A throw to the back of the endzone is one where only AJ can get to, and nobody else.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2013   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Now the pass that I'm not sure I like is the one on the next drive.

After gaining 21 yards on 2 passes, the Texans called a faked run to Foster, with another faked reverse to Martin before Schaub completed the screen pass to Foster for 13 yards.

The Pats had dropped into cover 3 with AJ wide open in the intermediate middle for at least 17 to 20.
(You can't see this without the All-22 view.)

I guess it was a set play where AJ's responsibility was to take as many people deep as possible away from the screen.

Would you, as an OC and/or a QB coach, teaches the QB to at least take a quick look straight downfield first?!?

Am I asking too much?
Old 01-15-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

After losing a yard with Foster, Schaub threw an incompletion to AJ on the left sideline.

AJ was complaining to the ref about a "possible" hold or physical play by Talib beyond the five yards.

There's nothing anybody can do here; sometimes the CB gets away with it, sometimes he gets called.

On third down, Schaub was pressured and he went to OD who was wide open, but can only gain 5 yards.

It's tough, but I think Schaub should have gone ahead and try one a little further downfield to AJ.
(Need the All-22 view here.)

I think it would have been a conversion; and even if Schaub missed, nothing was lost.

I don't know if I blame Schaub for this, but I'd like to have a QB with a little more smart.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read