Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2013   #101
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Schaub + Receivers vs Other QBs and their Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
this is freaking david carr all over again.

we have to give matt perfect protection, perfect set of wide recivers, perfect defense behind him, perfect everything.

You people will never learn.

If you're still asking question like whether or not our qb is good enough and he is past 30 years of age already, guess what?

he aint the answer.

why are houstonians so apprehensive about moving on from matt schaub?
Big difference.

We had to surround David Carr with ProBowlers to have a winning season. Matt did hat without a Running back, defense, or an OL.

We need to surround Matt with ProBowlers to win our division & championships, no different than any other QB.
Old 01-16-2013   #102
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
No, we are back-to-back division leaders and have two seasons of going to the playoffs and winning a game in each post-season.

We can see consistency based upon history. This is not predictions, but just stating the obvious fact that the Texans are a good team right now. Not great, but good.

I do not have to hope for what has already happened.

Pure unadulterated hyperbole.

You do realize that we are stuck with Schaub for at least two more years?

You do realize that fans have absolutely no influence on how the team operates or who they pick as players?

Your post seems to be directed at the Texans front office but is posted on a fan message board.

Perhaps you want to send your thoughts to bob.mcnair@houstontexans.com?
I wish we can trade Schaub for even a fifth or even seventh rounder.
Give the ball to Keenum with Yates and another draft pick in the fold in case injury happens.

I gave Schaub his chance.
Trading Schaub is mainly to clear cap space so that we can get other players in to help the team, not to get rid of him.

I don't want to drive Keenum down people's throat, but man, in this day and age.

Here's a guy that can run the no huddle like there's no tomorrow.

So often he had his guys lined-up and ready to go and "bitching" for the refs to hurry up to spot the ball.

Have you ever seen a team run 2 pass plays and 2 run plays in 25 seconds?

Remember now that after every run play, the clock continues to run.

It was the most incredible feast I've ever seen a QB done.
It's like snap snap, he got to all the guys and get them ready for the next play even as the previous play barely finishes.

As the RB was ready to go down, he was already on his linemen to get up and go; it was just amazing to watch.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #103
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Give the ball to Keenum with Yates and another draft pick in the fold in case injury happens.

Trading Schaub is mainly to clear cap space so that we can get other players in to help the team, not to get rid of him.

I don't want to drive Keenum down people's throat, but man, in this day and age.

Here's a guy that can run the no huddle like there's no tomorrow.

So often he had his guys lined-up and ready to go and "bitching" for the refs to hurry up to spot the ball.

Have you ever seen a team run 2 pass plays and 2 run plays in 25 seconds?

Remember now that after every run play, the clock continues to run.

It was the most incredible feast I've ever seen a QB done.
It's like snap snap, he got to all the guys and get them ready for the next play even as the previous play barely finishes.

As the RB was ready to go down, he was already on his linemen to get up and go; it was just amazing to watch.
I would honestly like to see Keenum progress to starter capability. But I still have my reservations about his fit in this offense. And I don't know if kubiak would make an exception just for Keenum.

He'd have to change his offensive mindset a bit...

But if he did go to a more hurry up offense I think the bootleg and run game would actually work better...defenses would be rushing tk get lined up this making the more reactionary and more likely to bite on fakes. Would also help the run game because defenses wouldn't be able to get set as fast
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #104
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Rey;2110783]I would honestly like to see Keenum progress to starter capability. But I still have my reservations about his fit in this offense. And I don't know if kubiak would make an exception just for Keenum.

He'd have to change his offensive mindset a bit...

But if he did go to a more hurry up offense I think the bootleg and run game would actually work better...defenses would be rushing tk get lined up this making the more reactionary and more likely to bite on fakes. Would also help the run game because defenses wouldn't be able to get set as fast[/QUOTE
You have always had an an open-mind toward Keenum, so there's no worry there.

There's just a reminder for those who watches his plays.

Basically the defense couldn't keep up with the pace of the offense , the Coogs had to tone of down to go at a slower pace in the second half of the season.

Otherwise, if neck-breaking is your pace, Keenum is for you.
Old 01-16-2013   #105
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Also I'd like to make clear that there's a time clock and there's a play clock.

They are different.

If you want to see how fast the team moves, you need to pay attention to both .
Old 01-16-2013   #106
boom boom
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 boom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respectedboom boom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also I'd like to make clear that there's a time clock and there's a play clock.

They are different.

If you want to see how fast the team moves, you need to pay attention to both .
again as a pats fan i dont think the texans are far from getting to a super bowl. with a few key addition which in my opinion should come from free agency they are a complete team there physical, skilled, athletic, and jj watt, arian foster, andre johnson, plus cushing being injured hurt. a healthy cushing and there a damn good football team. there going to a super bowl soon, trust me and if the afc has to go thru reliant stadium, nobody next year is beating the texans.besides losing to us, you guys dominated every other team pretty much with the exception of the packers. the texans will be fine.
boom boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #107
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
this is freaking david carr all over again.

we have to give matt perfect protection, perfect set of wide recivers, perfect defense behind him, perfect everything.

You people will never learn.

If you're still asking question like whether or not our qb is good enough and he is past 30 years of age already, guess what?

he aint the answer.

why are houstonians so apprehensive about moving on from matt schaub?
09-18-2009 #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard on the radio MS can be successful only if all the planets align. Well the planets aren't aligned in the Texans offense. Let's look more closely. Even when 110% MS is not the most mobile QB. MS is not the most durable QB. MS not great arm stength. The Texans' line is not the most dominant line. The lack of mobility (especially last week against the Jets, ankle) of MS means that he can't buy any time and make something happen unlike some other QB's that are able to scramble and allow the receivers to create. Therefore we can't utilize AJ physical talents on a busted play. This is even made worse because MS can't affford to take a hit, unlike some QB's that can stay in the pocket until the last second and let the play develope. If we had a QB that could take a hit we would gain some time, or if we had a QB that could scramble and buy some time we could maybe make some conpletions and maybe come up with the big play. We have the receivers to do this but due to the above factors we were unable to do this last week against the Jets. That is why the offense was so pitiful. I understand the PROBLEM is our offensive line. But our offensive line may be just what is was last week for the entire season. The more i write the more depressed I become. The defense only needs to shut down AJ with double coverage and get after MS and we have last week's outcome again this week. I guess what I am getting at is if MS is not healthy and mobile and Kubiak is determined to play MS no matter what like last week, we will have a repeat of last week. I was a Kubiak fan until last week. His inability to get the team up and prepared along with the POOR judgement in playing MS really makes me wonder. I guess getting back to the title, with our Oline we would be better off with a very mobile QB or a QB that can take a hit every once in a while. We have neither in MS. Would appreciate comment that give me some hope. thanks

Matt>Carr but our goals are higher now.

Matt is still Matt only older and sadly doesn't really seem wiser. See post above made Sept 2009. The facts were there then.

I have stated before that we in this draft we need to improve our D. I think Matt will waste any new young WR with talent. Our best chance with Matt as our QB is a great defense. Also improve Oline. In fact if we don't create TOs on D we won't even make playoffs next year. Just my feelings.

Last edited by gafftop; 01-16-2013 at 09:04 PM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2013   #108
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Stats are for Losers, both pro and con....

I like what Dan Pastorini had to say on the radio yesterday.

*Paraphrasing*

Matt Schaub is smart. Matt Schaub has the arm strength to make any throw he wants.. Matt Schaub's problems have to deal with his footwork, getting the ball out quick enough to hit Andre in stride and that the QB coach, if Kubiak doesn't notice it, needs to 'speed up' Schaub's delivery on called deep balls"...

Dante went on to say that the reason it looks like Schaub underthrows 'Dre is because he's getting the ball off late. In other words, if they are taking a shot deep, Schaub needs to get the ball out earlier.

Made sense to me. Now, the question is:
A) Will Dante talk to his old "ball boy" (for you youngsters, that would be Kubiak)?
B) If not Dante, will someone within the organization that heard that assessment put a bug in Kubiaks ear?
C) Business as usual?

????

*EDIT*

As an aside, the Texans had no chance of winning with James and Ruud starting as OLB's. #FACT
Old 01-16-2013   #109
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Stats are for Losers, both pro and con....

I like what Dan Pastorini had to say on the radio yesterday.

*Paraphrasing*

Matt Schaub is smart. Matt Schaub has the arm strength to make any throw he wants.. Matt Schaub's problems have to deal with his footwork, getting the ball out quick enough to hit Andre in stride and that the QB coach, if Kubiak doesn't notice it, needs to 'speed up' Schaub's delivery on called deep balls"...

Dante went on to say that the reason it looks like Schaub underthrows 'Dre is because he's getting the ball off late. In other words, if they are taking a shot deep, Schaub needs to get the ball out earlier.

Made sense to me. Now, the question is:
A) Will Dante talk to his old "ball boy" (for you youngsters, that would be Kubiak)?
B) If not Dante, will someone within the organization that heard that assessment put a bug in Kubiaks ear?
C) Business as usual?

????

*EDIT*

As an aside, the Texans had no chance of winning with James and Ruud starting as OLB's. #FACT
I love Dante for his guts, not for his skills nor what went on between his ears.
Old 01-16-2013   #110
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I had wished that Pastorini can be as sneaky as Stabler; that would had been a great combination.
Old 01-16-2013   #111
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Trading Schaub would free up no cap space this year. What you should be hoping for to support Keenum is a flip in the depth chart to Keenum at #2 so he can work more with Schaub and get more snaps.
Old 01-16-2013   #112
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Trading Schaub would free up no cap space this year. What you should be hoping for to support Keenum is a flip in the depth chart to Keenum at #2 so he can work more with Schaub and get more snaps.
I never know how that stuff works; if another team trade for Schaub, are we free of the financial obligation?
Old 01-16-2013   #113
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I had wished that Pastorini can be as sneaky as Stabler; that would had been a great combination.
Stabler played for the Oilers. He didn't fare so well here.

The beauty of Pastorini wasn't his toughness. The beauty of Pastorini was his ability of working with the talent he had around him, which wasn't much (save Earl). The magnificent beauty of those Oiler teams were that Bum got the most out of guys like Carl Mauck and yes Pastorini....

No offense.... You study all the film you want to, some of us lived it.

If Dante notices something in Schaub's approach and/or foot work that leads "lay-football" fans (or in the case of all these experts here on TexansTalk) to assume that Schaub has a weak arm, I'm going with Dante's assessment..

As Dante said, Schaub can throw the ball 50-60 yards and not "underthrow" AJ as the so-called experts around here suggest. The problem is that he takes too long to get the ball off to AJ on a deep route.
Old 01-16-2013   #114
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never know how that stuff works; if another team trade for Schaub, are we free of the financial obligation?
We are free of his future salary but all the un-prorated signing bonus goes onto our cap as dead money.
Old 01-16-2013   #115
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The beauty of Pastorini wasn't his toughness. The beauty of Pastorini was his ability of working with the talent he had around him, which wasn't much (save Earl). The magnificent beauty of those Oiler teams were that Bum got the most out of guys like Carl Mauck and yes Pastorini....

If Dante notices something in Schaub's approach and/or foot work that leads "lay-football" fans (or in the case of all these experts here on TexansTalk) to assume that Schaub has a weak arm, I'm going with Dante's assessment..

As Dante said, Schaub can throw the ball 50-60 yards and not "underthrow" AJ as the so-called experts around here suggest. The problem is that he takes too long to get the ball off to AJ on a deep route.
Pastorini was a hell of a qb till his knees gave out. He could run too. Top QB prospect out of College but got Archie Manning'd and paid the price with guys like Mo Towns protecting his backside. Since he was in an era where you could mug the wr anywhere on the field and mug the quarterback as well....those stats don't shine like today's stats....but I'd take Dan over Schaub any time. Schaub couldn't play in that era...he'd be the walking dead. I agree with your assessment on Dante's opinion as well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013   #116
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I don't know how to describe it to you, TB.

The stats never showed it, but Stabler was the snake.
He had the best command of the team I've seen so far from the Oilers days up to now.

(and he was a drinker and a womanizer too, most of us know that.)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read