Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2005   #41
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojohnnyboi
Honestly, I think if DD doesn't carry for over 1,000 I would consider trading, releasing him. I think V. Morency is going to be the Texan's back of the future....getting someone like LT or Shaun Alexander would be nice too.

Also I think we need to give Jammal Lord a chance during camp and pre season at RB.

^^^^^I love that guy

Tell me what you think.
Morency is pretty old already at 25. 3rd Round picks arent usually Franchise Backs but we shall see.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

25 is not old and he has plenty of tread on his tires.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #43
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
I disagree 110% with that #1 It not that hard for an NFL back to get 1,000 yds. That was back when there were only 14 Games now the mark would have about 1,200-1,500 (also RB are getting better and so are the linemen.) #2 That really hurts when people like John Green from Detriot throw beer on people and your saying just because I Disagree with you I am "are everything that is wrong with professional sports fans today." #3 Why the hell would I boo the Texans I love them (even DD I cheer for him) even though he is not very good. Just a question to you does the teams performance have anything to do with any of us?

I never argued that DD was good because he rushed for 1000 yards. I responded to your ridiculous claim that "DD sucks". He's not Tomlinson but I'm not going to hold that against him. He works hard. He produces. What about that is reason for saying that he sucks?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #44
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
I never argued that DD was good because he rushed for 1000 yards. I responded to your ridiculous claim that "DD sucks". He's not Tomlinson but I'm not going to hold that against him. He works hard. He produces. What about that is reason for saying that he sucks?
He is Slow and Small which results in him not being able to hit the fast enough and he cant make his own hole. Just not effect Runner and I felt are Zone blocking got ALOT better toward the end of the year.
Old 06-16-2005   #45
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
But what is the average career span for any NFL player? Some guys don't last long because they're not NFL caliber. I'd like to see a study on the average career span for a RB who gains 1000 yards in a season once in his career. Or twice. And so on. My guess is that the better the RB, the longer the career span.
Ok stats guru's what were the career spans of:

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
OJ Simpson
Jim Brown

4 of the top rushers in NFL History and HOFers
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is Slow and Small which results in him not being able to hit the fast enough and he cant make his own hole.
Dom's not small...he's short. He is plenty quick enough to find the hole. Your arguments are weak...and I'm not even one of the guys who oppose your argument.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is Slow and Small which results in him not being able to hit the fast enough and he cant make his own hole. Just not effect Runner and I felt are Zone blocking got ALOT better toward the end of the year.
See here is part of the problem. You keep saying the same things and when people prove them wrong, eh, who cares, keep saying them anyway. It makes your rants look silly. DD is in no way small. Try looking up a few franchise backs like Emmitt Smith, LT, Holmes, Portis, etc. Asserting he is small is simply incorrect. On top of that, hitting the hole quickly is something most observers have as one of his strengths. It goes hand in hand with he has excellent quickness but a low top end speed. Got anything close to a valid reason for not liking him?
Old 06-16-2005   #48
texan0305
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 texan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famertexan0305 is a Hall of Famer
Default Dom.....

I think double d is going to have a strong season, he came on strong last year at the end of last season, he's not the most consistant back but if he can prove to be durable throughout the season i think he'll give the texans close to 1,300 yards, plus i believe it's his contract year so he has something to prove if a team is interested in picking him up via trade (since he's a restricted free agent) I think Tony Holling's time as a texan is numbered, i believe that morency will take his spot on the depth chart, so it's lookin like they'll keep 3 backs dd, morency, and wells. With the conservative style offense that the texans have shown to run they need a good to great running game if we're going to be talking playoffs in december,
texan0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #49
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
OJ Simpson
Jim Brown

ok answers:

Earl Played 9 season but only productive in 7 of them
Eric played a whopping 12 seasons
OJ was drafed in '69 and retired in '73 only 4 season ( knee trouble )
Jim Brown retired earlier than he needed to after 9 seasons.

So...anywhere from 4-12 yrs Dom is in his 3rd. I think the 5yr average is misleading.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #50
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Morency is pretty old already at 25. 3rd Round picks arent usually Franchise Backs but we shall see.
Being 25 already is like failing a class back in grade school then spending all 4 years in college only to use an extra medical redshirt year cuz you got hurt. That puts you anywhere from 24-25 ish. That's not Morency's story but as far as age goes it's no different. Besides most players don't hit their NFL prime until 27-28 ish and it usually lasts until their 30-31 ish. Next time play Madden just look @ the age of some of the rookies you draft, some of them will be 24 because they try to make that game as real as possible (That is unless you do only Fantasy Draft with the Texans as your team and your 1st pick is LT or Alexander like I'm sure you do). Orlando Pace is 31 and were after him. Were you one of the ones frothin' @ tha mouth to get him?
Old 06-16-2005   #51
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
See here is part of the problem. You keep saying the same things and when people prove them wrong, eh, who cares, keep saying them anyway. It makes your rants look silly. DD is in no way small. Try looking up a few franchise backs like Emmitt Smith, LT, Holmes, Portis, etc. Asserting he is small is simply incorrect. On top of that, hitting the hole quickly is something most observers have as one of his strengths. It goes hand in hand with he has excellent quickness but a low top end speed. Got anything close to a valid reason for not liking him?
'

To be honest you havent proven anything wrong? Ill say hes not a small guy but he not big enough run people over like a Bettis Stanley etc.
Old 06-16-2005   #52
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

if they are old enough to drink we dont need them on our team, get them old guys out change the rule so we can draft right out of HS and trade everyone to stockpile picks.

repeat this process anytime the core group of players surpasses age 22. lather rinse repeat.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #53
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
ok answers:

OJ was drafed in '69 and retired in '73 only 4 season ( knee trouble )

OJ retired in 1979 with the 49ers. that would be a an 11 year carrer
Old 06-16-2005   #54
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Being 25 already is like failing a class back in grade school then spending all 4 years in college only to use an extra medical redshirt year cuz you got hurt. That puts you anywhere from 24-25 ish. That's not Morency's story but as far as age goes it's no different. Besides most players don't hit their NFL prime until 27-28 ish and it usually lasts until their 30-31 ish. Next time play Madden just look @ the age of some of the rookies you draft, some of them will be 24 because they try to make that game as real as possible (That is unless you do only Fantasy Draft with the Texans as your team and your 1st pick is LT or Alexander like I'm sure you do). Orlando Pace is 31 and were after him. Were you one of the ones frothin' @ tha mouth to get him?
Yes I was Orlando Pace is NOT a Rookie and hes was like the 2nd overall pick in his Draft. Im not saying Morency is going to be bad I am saying hes a franchise RB.
Old 06-16-2005   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
'

To be honest you havent proven anything wrong? Ill say hes not a small guy but he not big enough run people over like a Bettis Stanley etc.
For the second time it is Staley not Stanley.

Now we come to it--so you agree he isn't too small to be a franchise RB it is just he isn't your image of a franchise RB, i.e. one of the 2-4 largest RB's in the NFL. Try slamming Casserly and Capers for not liking/picking huge backs then instead of DD--they are the ones not conforming to your desire.

As for running over people, try going back to DD's either 1st run in the NFL or close to it--Zach Thomas will tell you DD can run over people. Once again, your complaint is about something DD actually does well and gets compliments for--run hard and gain extra yardage.
Old 06-16-2005   #56
ojthecat
Veteran

I will tell you I thought that DD did a remarkable job in the last half of the season. After the fumble problems at the beginning he could have packed it away however I see a player with a remarkable heart and desire. He had to take a hard look in the mirror and adjust his self image. I am impressed.
Old 06-16-2005   #57
Human Highlight Reel
Rookie

I didnt get to read all of the replies so I dont know if anybody is saying the same thing I'm saying so bear wit me here...

Can you imagine tho.. DD has a breakout season.. we get a 1st and 3rd round pick for him.. so now we have..

2-1st Rounders
1-2nd Rounder
3-3rd Rounders

I dont know about you guys but wit the way our draft team is performing we could possibly have one of the most amazing drafts in NFL history.. MAYBE..

We could get a First Round OL (Could Use an upgrade), Get a First Round Safety (Coleman is getting up there in years), Pick up a good TE in the 2nd (Forget that Joppru Bust), I'd Say grab another RB in the 3rd Round (Dont Act Like Capers and Co. cant find good RB in the 3-7 Round) then wit one of the other 3rds pick up another DL (Walker and Payne wont be around much longer) Then maybe get another OL here wit the other 3rd Pick (Couldnt Hurt)

Warning to ALL teams, We have D-Rob and PB so please don't throw...
Human Highlight Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #58
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
For the second time it is Staley not Stanley.

Now we come to it--so you agree he isn't too small to be a franchise RB it is just he isn't your image of a franchise RB, i.e. one of the 2-4 largest RB's in the NFL. Try slamming Casserly and Capers for not liking/picking huge backs then instead of DD--they are the ones not conforming to your desire.

As for running over people, try going back to DD's either 1st run in the NFL or close to it--Zach Thomas will tell you DD can run over people. Once again, your complaint is about something DD actually does well and gets compliments for--run hard and gain extra yardage.
BS He gains NO extra yardage. First hit he is DOWN!
Old 06-16-2005   #59
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
OJ Simpson
Jim Brown

Okay lets throw in
Emmitt Smith
Marcus Allen
Sweetness (Walter Payton for the ignorant youngsters)

while we are at it.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #60
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Highlight Reel
Can you imagine tho.. DD has a breakout season.. we get a 1st and 3rd round pick for him
No way! Period. What did the vikes get for Moss?

Case closed. Shawn Alexander can't even get a 3rd round pick. You are dreaming or drinking

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read